Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

quote:

narration by Rancid’s Tim Armstrong
:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Aside from the lovely title, that’s not a bad article and gave me plenty of bands to check out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Interrupters are great and I'm glad they're getting name-checked.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I read their lead singer is big into Alex Jones

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh christ. I really don't want that be true.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Just in case anyone cares, I made a Spotify playlist of five tracks from every band mentioned in that Billboard article linked above.

https://open.spotify.com/user/1231399605/playlist/4QNaTwMWONE0ubGRXa5tv1?si=sO4pJdY-RnK8KbhKu0mmRA

Lots of good stuff in there based around the core 90s third-wave west-coast sound, but some older first and second-wave classics too plus lots of modern international bands that I’d never heard of. It’s a great Ska sampler playlist.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
streetlight botar orchestra owned just as much the second time around but i lament to inform you that tomas is still not recording a drop of new music sorry you had to find out this way

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

streetlight botar orchestra owned just as much the second time around but i lament to inform you that tomas is still not recording a drop of new music sorry you had to find out this way

did he make a mild joke about it

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

speaking of streetlight botar I got 4 tickets to the LA show on may 18 (center mezz) but broke my arm and I was the Common Friend to the group that was going so no one's going now. let me know if any of you nerds want the tickets for some reasonable fraction of what I paid

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Forum Joe posted:

Just in case anyone cares, I made a Spotify playlist of five tracks from every band mentioned in that Billboard article linked above.

https://open.spotify.com/user/1231399605/playlist/4QNaTwMWONE0ubGRXa5tv1?si=sO4pJdY-RnK8KbhKu0mmRA

Lots of good stuff in there based around the core 90s third-wave west-coast sound, but some older first and second-wave classics too plus lots of modern international bands that I’d never heard of. It’s a great Ska sampler playlist.

this is entirely too many songs, but it's also really cool so thanks for putting it together

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

did he make a mild joke about it

no but he did joke about not playing gimp songs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I saw him do his solo act and someone in the crowd yelled "MRS BUTTERWORTH YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE TONIGHT" and he was like "I don't need an excuse" lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I saw him do his solo act and someone in the crowd yelled "MRS BUTTERWORTH YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE TONIGHT" and he was like "I don't need an excuse" lol

Why the gently caress doesn't he just do it? It's clear tons of his fans really love the song and it connects with them in some way. If he's embarrassed about it why doesn't he re-write it to be not as embarrassing to him? He's clearly willing to re-record or re-write his old songs.

I get that it's his song and his decision and such but c'mon, man.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

because he actually sucks and is an rear end

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

Why the gently caress doesn't he just do it? It's clear tons of his fans really love the song and it connects with them in some way. If he's embarrassed about it why doesn't he re-write it to be not as embarrassing to him? He's clearly willing to re-record or re-write his old songs.

I get that it's his song and his decision and such but c'mon, man.

Honestly? It may be that the Gimp stuff was recorded during an extremely lovely time for him, and playing it just brings back bad memories. It's understandable to a point, but I don't see why he's never just come out and said it. "I'm over Kristina but I'm not over Mrs. Butterworth" or something, haha

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I've never met him or read any lengthy interview, but as much as I love SM I've always kind of gotten a heavy negative vibe coming off of Tomas himself. Dunno why.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

no one who is that big of a perfectionist is a good person hot take

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly? It may be that the Gimp stuff was recorded during an extremely lovely time for him, and playing it just brings back bad memories. It's understandable to a point, but I don't see why he's never just come out and said it. "I'm over Kristina but I'm not over Mrs. Butterworth" or something, haha

i feel the same way about RxB not wanting to play old ska songs or like Jeff not wanting to play BTMI/ASOB songs, and i completely understand, but i also feel at the end of the day, once the art leaves the artist it kinda belongs just as much to the fans and You Got To Give The People What They Want etc. it's a dicey proposition and there's no right answer, but unlike Tomas, Jeff and Matt actually still make music and at least give their fans something. Also neither have publicly claimed multiple times that they were going to record new music then steadfastly refused to do so, so they would naturally get a longer leash. with everything that's gone down between Tomas and Catch, and (admittedly scummy) Victory, and his claims to the fans, at some point you just have to admit that where there's smoke there's fire

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 8, 2019

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

snackcakes posted:

this is entirely too many songs, but it's also really cool so thanks for putting it together

You don’t have to listen to it all at once, just put in on shuffle next time you have mates round for a skabecue. ;)

And yeah, I know.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

no one who is that big of a perfectionist is a good person hot take

i feel the same way about RxB not wanting to play old ska songs or like Jeff not wanting to play BTMI/ASOB songs, and i completely understand, but i also feel at the end of the day, once the art leaves the artist it kinda belongs just as much to the fans and You Got To Give The People What They Want etc. it's a dicey proposition and there's no right answer, but unlike Tomas, Jeff and Matt actually still make music and at least give their fans something. Also neither have publicly claimed multiple times that they were going to record new music then steadfastly refused to do so, so they would naturally get a longer leash. with everything that's gone down between Tomas and Catch, and (admittedly scummy) Victory, and his claims to the fans, at some point you just have to admit that where there's smoke there's fire

I haven't listened to any post-BTMI stuff so yeah I would be extremely confused if I went to a Jeff show and he refused to play any BTMI stuff lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
He doesn't play BTMI songs, but he says it's out of respect for the old band members. Playing those songs would be like saying "I don't need you guys" to them.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

which is a perfectly reasonable stance and not really that big of a deal because jeff has put out more solo albums in the last 3 or 4 years than streetlight has recorded since like 2008

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's totally fair, for sure.

But devil's advocate weren't like a significant chunk of BTMI shows just Jeff and an iPod?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's totally fair, for sure.

But devil's advocate weren't like a significant chunk of BTMI shows just Jeff and an iPod?

Also a little weird since like half of the band he currently plays with are old BTMI people I think. And I think he occasionally plays old BTMI songs at shows to please the fans.

But yeah either way he still has tons of really good new music to play. Seriously Worry may be the best album he's ever released.

LOL remember when Kalnoky said he was going to slow down on touring so that they could focus on making music? And how he said that it was because of Victory that his albums took so long to release, but now that they're independent they haven't released a single new song? At least The Hands That Thieve was a pretty drat good album.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Remember when 99 Songs was going to be 99 songs

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Remember when he changed it to "actually it's gonna be by a bunch of other people, not just me" and then that didn't happen either

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

99 Songs Vol. 2 will be released alongside The Winds of Winter and Vol. 3 will be a promo pack-in for A Dream of Spring, please look forward to it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Monday_ posted:

Remember when he changed it to "actually it's gonna be by a bunch of other people, not just me" and then that didn't happen either

I'm sincerely curious what Kalnoky's been doing. Arranging the BOTAR orchestra shows, I guess?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

btmi played asob songs on the scrambles tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlbD6ZxhoR0

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So many new posts I thought someone died

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fateo McMurray posted:

So many new posts I thought someone died

Nope just talking poo poo about Kalnoky while talking up Jeff, business as usual

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

LOL remember when Kalnoky said he was going to slow down on touring so that they could focus on making music? And how he said that it was because of Victory that his albums took so long to release, but now that they're independent they haven't released a single new song? At least The Hands That Thieve was a pretty drat good album.

i specifically went to the added thursday show for the LAST SHOWS EVER at starland because of this, which was the last (until the orchestra shows) streetlight show i had planned to attend. before that it was the two full album shows in like 2009. by this point, they're basically RBF and i can recite the set list from memory.

at least i got to see a dan p acoustic.

e: lol those shows were 6 goddamn years ago lmao

Snow Cone Capone posted:

at the show on saturday we were yelling "ten songs of revolution"

I'm sincerely curious what Kalnoky's been doing. Arranging the BOTAR orchestra shows, I guess?

the conductor of the orchestra arranges the music, he just shows up in the same hat and shirt he's been wearing since 2003

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 9, 2019

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Teemu Pokemon posted:

i specifically went to the added thursday show for the LAST SHOWS EVER at starland because of this, which was the last (until the orchestra shows) streetlight show i had planned to attend. before that it was the two full album shows in like 2009. by this point, they're basically RBF and i can recite the set list from memory.

at least i got to see a dan p acoustic.

e: lol those shows were 6 goddamn years ago lmao

at the show on saturday we were yelling "ten songs of revolution"

the conductor of the orchestra arranges the music, he just shows up in the same hat and shirt he's been wearing since 2003

That Thursday show was the last streetlight show i saw, and it's going to stay that way until they make new music. But yeah, the acoustic parts were the best of it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

He doesn't play BTMI songs, but he says it's out of respect for the old band members. Playing those songs would be like saying "I don't need you guys" to them.

Also he plays btmi songs occasionally. The tour for Post he was playing Stand There every couple nights

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Also a little weird since like half of the band he currently plays with are old BTMI people I think. And I think he occasionally plays old BTMI songs at shows to please the fans.

He's got John on bass and he's done stuff with Dan Potthast before (he might have done some bits on Get Warmer?) but I think John is the only actual BTMI member in the band

And John doesn't count, he's played in everything Jeff has done, it would be weirder if I showed up to see them and John wasn't playing, perhaps because he joined Every Time I Die

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He's got John on bass and he's done stuff with Dan Potthast before (he might have done some bits on Get Warmer?) but I think John is the only actual BTMI member in the band

And John doesn't count, he's played in everything Jeff has done, it would be weirder if I showed up to see them and John wasn't playing, perhaps because he joined Every Time I Die

I love that song so drat much, hearing a ska cover of an ETID breakdown fills me with way too much glee

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anyone else get the BOTAR Orchestra live CD they're selling at the shows?

It's pretty neat.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Kind of disappointed how much they cut out - including nearly all of the piano.

If you do some digging on the Streetlight subreddit someone ripped it and hosted it on Google drive.

Caught the Chicago show over the weekend. Not sure if it's been the same at other venues, but I don't think The Chicago Theatre is acoustically set up for large live bands. The sound got really muddy several times during the show, and aside from the parts of the arrangement where the orchestra was mostly or entirely playing you could rarely hear them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Geoj posted:

Kind of disappointed how much they cut out - including nearly all of the piano.

If you do some digging on the Streetlight subreddit someone ripped it and hosted it on Google drive.

Caught the Chicago show over the weekend. Not sure if it's been the same at other venues, but I don't think The Chicago Theatre is acoustically set up for large live bands. The sound got really muddy several times during the show, and aside from the parts of the arrangement where the orchestra was mostly or entirely playing you could rarely hear them.

Yeah, the sound is a bit inconsistent. Is the Reddit rip better quality? The CD is solid for a live recording, nothing special, but I'd love to hear it if the orchestra was more prominent in the Reddit rip.

e: I found it, it's a rip of the CD, so the same thing :( here's the link though https://www.reddit.com/r/streetlightmanifesto/comments/bldlle/live_cd_download/

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah, the sound is a bit inconsistent. Is the Reddit rip better quality? The CD is solid for a live recording, nothing special, but I'd love to hear it if the orchestra was more prominent in the Reddit rip.

e: I found it, it's a rip of the CD, so the same thing :( here's the link though https://www.reddit.com/r/streetlightmanifesto/comments/bldlle/live_cd_download/

Here's a fan recording of the Beacon Theater show last year: https://www.reddit.com/r/streetlightmanifesto/comments/7qtols/release_fan_recording_of_streetlightbotar_at_the/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://twitter.com/pajamawitch/status/1129410551048806400