Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I miss the old and great packs, TPPI, Bteam, Infinity Evolved, Voltz, Hexxit

The most recent ok pack was Blightfall, and possibly Regrowth (although i hate the crops needing to be bred to 10/10/10)

We need a good modern story pack which has sensible progression and interesting storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

McFrugal posted:

The cobblestone world is the same. They're joke worlds, don't use them.
I don't think they're jokes. They should expand as you do things, like lava world.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I just started Enigmatica 2 Expert and ... no veinminer? The achievement is there but the hot key does nothing. I looked in the mods folder and don't see it there, did they pull it for some reason?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

fondue posted:

I just started Enigmatica 2 Expert and ... no veinminer? The achievement is there but the hot key does nothing. I looked in the mods folder and don't see it there, did they pull it for some reason?
It should have one of the two veinmining mods. It only works on ores and a few other things.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

fondue posted:

The mod that provides it is called Ore Excavation. It's in the pack. Most likely, there's a keybind conflict. The mod "Controlling" is also in the pack, so you can search keybinds by category. Try searching for the "Ore Excavation" category, then by whatever key it's using to resolve the conflict.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The mod that provides it is called Ore Excavation. It's in the pack. Most likely, there's a keybind conflict. The mod "Controlling" is also in the pack, so you can search keybinds by category. Try searching for the "Ore Excavation" category, then by whatever key it's using to resolve the conflict.

Ore Excavation was it, thanks!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what was the name of the mod that adds in wall covers and pipe covers

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Lots of mods have facades/covers for their pipes/wires. Buildcraft, AE2, Thermal Dynamics, Ender IO, etc. I usually disable them because they dynamically generate so goddamn many variations.

I’m personally not aware of a mod that adds generic ones.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Surprised one doesn't just let you right click the facade with a block to make it look like it.

I know some mod did it with doors or something, so it can be done.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

xanthan posted:

Surprised one doesn't just let you right click the facade with a block to make it look like it.

I know some mod did it with doors or something, so it can be done.

I believe that was carpenter's blocks? It also had sweet slopes and stuff that wasn't as ridiculously fine as chisel and bits but still let you make some awesome buildings.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

runchild posted:

Lots of mods have facades/covers for their pipes/wires. Buildcraft, AE2, Thermal Dynamics, Ender IO, etc. I usually disable them because they dynamically generate so goddamn many variations.

I’m personally not aware of a mod that adds generic ones.

Why do you disable them? Just go into JEI/etc, click the options button and enable item hiding mode, then follow the prompts to hide them. Single click to unhide one for crafting reference. I do this all the time for mekanism's plastic blocks and stuff, just leaving the white ones so I know they exist.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Ambaire posted:

Why do you disable them? Just go into JEI/etc, click the options button and enable item hiding mode, then follow the prompts to hide them. Single click to unhide one for crafting reference. I do this all the time for mekanism's plastic blocks and stuff, just leaving the white ones so I know they exist.

Less blocks means faster loading, I like seeing my pipe monstrosities creations so I’m never going to use them anyways, and swapping a config option to false is even easier than JEI hiding. To each their own.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Covers serve a practical purpose too, in most mods they make the pipe block both opaque to light/mob vision (which helps alot in mob farms) and give it a standard collision box (which is nice when the floor is made of pipes).

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I don't know why I see Carpenter's Blocks around more, it's a really good halfstep for when I don't feel like chiseling

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Patware posted:

I don't know why I see Carpenter's Blocks around more, it's a really good halfstep for when I don't feel like chiseling

It's, uh, because it hasn't been updated since 1.7.

(You want Blockcraftery these days)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that'll do it

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Still really enjoying SevTech. I was childishly thrilled to watch a metal press punch out the first few ingot because it means I don't have to do them on a stone anvil or cast them one by one anymore.

Wife just rolled her eyes at me.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

bird food bathtub posted:

Still really enjoying SevTech. I was childishly thrilled to watch a metal press punch out the first few ingot because it means I don't have to do them on a stone anvil or cast them one by one anymore.

Wife just rolled her eyes at me.

SevTech is super popular for a reason. While there's a lot to be said about parts being too grindy, the exploration aspects needing a lot more, and certain mods being abysmal (hur hur hur), there's something extremely satisfying about it's actual core progression of "start as caveman, end in space." Also, if you like doing actual builds, there's likewise a lot of satisfaction in having an excuse to build multiple buildings in all kinds of different architecture types across different eras, and then going back to see your previous bases.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I actually did exactly that at one point. I had a straight up medieval castle looking bastion of safety with a moat (No water, it was for keeping out zombies), parapets for skeleton archers, punji traps along the bottom for spiders and so on.

Then it got super easy to make torches and I wanted easier access to darkland for gem farming so I moved. Now I can go back and look at the primitive hovel I used to live in with it's quaint stone grill and horse powered equipment.

Tubular Bells
Jul 20, 2017
The last time I was at all seriously involved in trying to learn about modded Minecraft was around 1.7.10, so as you can imagine I've been experiencing some culture shock. Browsing this thread I've managed to learn a little bit about the ecosystem, but I still have some questions to ask to hopefully save me some frustration.

1. I didn't understand a whole lot about modded Minecraft previously, and pretty much any information I might have gained back then is gone, except TiCon which is burned into my brain for some reason. I've attempted a handful of modpacks and each time have felt overwhelmed with a bunch of bullshit (except SevTech, funnily enough, which I've only just started), so I kinda just want to pick a single major mod and learn how to use that. By "major mod" I mean poo poo like Botania or AE2 which fundamentally alter the progression of the game. The problem is, I have no idea where to start, because it feels like all of these mods have so much interconnected functionality between them now that they act like a giant meta-mod. TL;DR how do I ease my caveman brain into tech/magic mods?

2. Are there any tips that just generally reduce frustration? Stuff like setting keepInventory to true and mobGriefing to false on a new map.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Tubular Bells posted:

The last time I was at all seriously involved in trying to learn about modded Minecraft was around 1.7.10, so as you can imagine I've been experiencing some culture shock. Browsing this thread I've managed to learn a little bit about the ecosystem, but I still have some questions to ask to hopefully save me some frustration.

1. I didn't understand a whole lot about modded Minecraft previously, and pretty much any information I might have gained back then is gone, except TiCon which is burned into my brain for some reason. I've attempted a handful of modpacks and each time have felt overwhelmed with a bunch of bullshit (except SevTech, funnily enough, which I've only just started), so I kinda just want to pick a single major mod and learn how to use that. By "major mod" I mean poo poo like Botania or AE2 which fundamentally alter the progression of the game. The problem is, I have no idea where to start, because it feels like all of these mods have so much interconnected functionality between them now that they act like a giant meta-mod. TL;DR how do I ease my caveman brain into tech/magic mods?

2. Are there any tips that just generally reduce frustration? Stuff like setting keepInventory to true and mobGriefing to false on a new map.

You could try Baby's First Space Race, or maybe even Blightfall.
I like having cheats on so I can undo mistakes via JEI.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I second Baby's First Space Race. That was the first time I built an AE system and got to the moon. I usually burn out before them in most modpacks.

The Ozone packs are pretty good, though they can definitely be overwhelming when they really get going. I'm playing the third one right now and when you have to progress through a mod you don't want to do it can be frustrating, but there is always another set of stuff to focus on for the time being.

That said, I just got to the Embers part of the pack, and I may give up cause I really just don't feel like doing it all again. I really hate that mod.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tubular Bells posted:

You could take a look at Break Out. It's designed to guide you through the major mods one at a time, and has a good quest system to tell you how things work.

Tubular Bells
Jul 20, 2017

McFrugal posted:

You could try Baby's First Space Race, or maybe even Blightfall.
I like having cheats on so I can undo mistakes via JEI.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I second Baby's First Space Race. That was the first time I built an AE system and got to the moon. I usually burn out before them in most modpacks.

The Ozone packs are pretty good, though they can definitely be overwhelming when they really get going. I'm playing the third one right now and when you have to progress through a mod you don't want to do it can be frustrating, but there is always another set of stuff to focus on for the time being.

That said, I just got to the Embers part of the pack, and I may give up cause I really just don't feel like doing it all again. I really hate that mod.

I was actually going to mention that I had played BFSR back in the day, but I didn't know how much of it was still relevant today. I know that there are problems porting it to the Twitch launcher due to some weirdness with how it handles custom mods and having to get them officially released or whatever, so I didn't want it to look like I was pressuring the guy. I'll probably restart it again if I keep hitting roadblocks with other packs. I have heard good things about Ozone, though, and I haven't tried that yet, so I might give it a go.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You could take a look at Break Out. It's designed to guide you through the major mods one at a time, and has a good quest system to tell you how things work.

I actually gave this a shot the other day, and while I appreciated that the quest system generally didn't require you to make any huge leaps of progress on your own, I wasn't a fan of the Skyblock-esque feel of the whole thing. Also, and this might be a moddedminecraft.txt kind of thing, but even as early as I stopped I could feel elements of RNG starting to screw me (like having to hope I got enough dried sugarcane from the strainer to advance, which took way longer than it should have). Stoneblock 1 does the same exact poo poo by making you get 4 of each of the 6 saplings from dirt with the crook. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SF4

ok i got my 2nd prestige point. Farming and the first tab.

Do i restart to do that quicker (with hopping bonasai) or try to get another point somewhere?

Im just about to start setting up mek, is anotehr point nearish enough?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tubular Bells posted:

I was actually going to mention that I had played BFSR back in the day, but I didn't know how much of it was still relevant today.

Depending on what sort of learner you are, BFSR is still relevant today because while some of the mods used are very similar to the way they once were, it also teaches you how to learn a mod you're unfamiliar with by way of looking at NEI/JEI and going through recipes and seeing how items connect to each other. It teaches you that multiblock structures exist and gives you examples of how they might look. I think even today and even if you never play other 1.7.10 packs that BFSR is still an excellent resource due to how easy it is to apply the lessons you learn in it to other mods.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tubular Bells posted:

I was actually going to mention that I had played BFSR back in the day, but I didn't know how much of it was still relevant today. I know that there are problems porting it to the Twitch launcher due to some weirdness with how it handles custom mods and having to get them officially released or whatever, so I didn't want it to look like I was pressuring the guy. I'll probably restart it again if I keep hitting roadblocks with other packs. I have heard good things about Ozone, though, and I haven't tried that yet, so I might give it a go.

I actually gave this a shot the other day, and while I appreciated that the quest system generally didn't require you to make any huge leaps of progress on your own, I wasn't a fan of the Skyblock-esque feel of the whole thing. Also, and this might be a moddedminecraft.txt kind of thing, but even as early as I stopped I could feel elements of RNG starting to screw me (like having to hope I got enough dried sugarcane from the strainer to advance, which took way longer than it should have). Stoneblock 1 does the same exact poo poo by making you get 4 of each of the 6 saplings from dirt with the crook. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

You only needed one sapling each from the dirt, then you could just grow it and crook the leaves.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

reignonyourparade posted:

You only needed one sapling each from the dirt, then you could just grow it and crook the leaves.

It's still pretty bad though. The question should just be like 'FIND A SAPLING, ANY SAPLING'.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
holy poo poo the Abyssalcraft part of SevTech is one of the worst experiences I have ever had in modded minecraft

First I have to walk like 4 ingame days to find a Shoggoth lair, and after a peek inside I set my spawn nearby using a bedroll. Then I attempt to kill one of them with my bronze sword. Nope, that's gonna take forever. Maybe I can get 6 of them to chase me like the book describes. I'll go into the lair and try and lure more out - oh whoops I died in there because they do a fuckton of damage. Well my spawn point is nearby, so I'll just - whoops I died again. And again. And about ten more times.

Finally, I manage to make it most of the way out of the lair and die on the stairs. I go over to find my grave and....nothing. There's no grave. Maybe one of the shoggoths overwrote it with ooze, I don't know.

So now I guess I'm painstakingly cheating in everything I had in my inventory, including a full backpack, because of this broken mess of a mod. Maybe I should just cheat in a statue too and be done with it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

fight them in the water.

Use the spear the quests says.

There are a few 'bullshit' aspects of sevtech. but its still good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Also, don't forget that Minecraft is a game where you can place and remove blocks in the world. Use this forbidden knowledge to make murderholes for shoggoths.

There's a crafting recipe for the statues, as well.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

SF4

ok i got my 2nd prestige point. Farming and the first tab.

Do i restart to do that quicker (with hopping bonasai) or try to get another point somewhere?

Im just about to start setting up mek, is anotehr point nearish enough?

Honestly I wouldn’t recommend doing the first page farming poo poo. Try and get to the parabox as soon as possible and make a single upgraded geothermal generator. Once you do that it is time to use the parabox to dupe the hell out of speed upgrades and get yourself a couple more generators.

Seriously, parabox item duplication is intended and you should abuse the hell out of it. Also if you have a bunch of geothermal generators with 4 stacks of speed upgrades you can then start a loop and go do something else for a couple hours.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

holy poo poo the Abyssalcraft part of SevTech is one of the worst experiences I have ever had in modded minecraft

First I have to walk like 4 ingame days to find a Shoggoth lair, and after a peek inside I set my spawn nearby using a bedroll. Then I attempt to kill one of them with my bronze sword. Nope, that's gonna take forever. Maybe I can get 6 of them to chase me like the book describes. I'll go into the lair and try and lure more out - oh whoops I died in there because they do a fuckton of damage. Well my spawn point is nearby, so I'll just - whoops I died again. And again. And about ten more times.

Finally, I manage to make it most of the way out of the lair and die on the stairs. I go over to find my grave and....nothing. There's no grave. Maybe one of the shoggoths overwrote it with ooze, I don't know.

So now I guess I'm painstakingly cheating in everything I had in my inventory, including a full backpack, because of this broken mess of a mod. Maybe I should just cheat in a statue too and be done with it.

You could play on the beta branch, they got nerfed there. You might want to try looking underwater for your grave, since the stairs are 1 tile thick.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Early abyssalcraft is easily the worst part of sevtech. I'd personally suggest turning off mob griefing in general which neuters them pretty heavily or, if you're a purist, digging up some of the blocks that make up their lair and making a kill box of their spawn room - a one block gap at the bottom and two block tall entrance will keep them pretty well trapped as you slice their feet up with relative impunity.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just cheat whatever item from Abyssalcraft you need. You won't be missing out on anything.

Tubular Bells
Jul 20, 2017

Potsticker posted:

Depending on what sort of learner you are, BFSR is still relevant today because while some of the mods used are very similar to the way they once were, it also teaches you how to learn a mod you're unfamiliar with by way of looking at NEI/JEI and going through recipes and seeing how items connect to each other. It teaches you that multiblock structures exist and gives you examples of how they might look. I think even today and even if you never play other 1.7.10 packs that BFSR is still an excellent resource due to how easy it is to apply the lessons you learn in it to other mods.

That's definitely good to hear.

reignonyourparade posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I was having a very hard time getting access to any sort of light source. For some reason, when I started a new map with the mod, it didn't actually place me in a small room with a torch, I just got dropped inside stone and had to fumble around in the dark until I managed to luck out and get glowstone ingots from a loot bag. Even on my second attempt, I kept having problems actually getting trees to grow just from that torch. Was I missing something there? Also, don't you need a 2x2 to grow dark oak? So you would need to get 4 of those regardless.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Vib Rib posted:

Just cheat whatever item from Abyssalcraft you need. You won't be missing out on anything.

Truth. The different dimensions it poses does have a bit more variety in them than Galacticraft and Extended Galacticraft's planets but they are still "grind mobs for materials using a special stick, upgrade stick and book, fight boss, build key, access next dimension, repeat."

I haven't found anything in particular I'd use from that mod outside of it yet.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sage Grimm posted:

Truth. The different dimensions it poses does have a bit more variety in them than Galacticraft and Extended Galacticraft's planets but they are still "grind mobs for materials using a special stick, upgrade stick and book, fight boss, build key, access next dimension, repeat."

I haven't found anything in particular I'd use from that mod outside of it yet.

Yeah, I dig the general concept of abyssalcraft, but all the numbers seem to have an extra zero on them for no good reason. The idea of 'you're worshipping something evil' isn't a terrible idea, but the implementation is weirdly hamfisted, especially in Sevtech where you can't even build the altar structures from a different version of the mod that allow for safe energy gathering.

Really the issue with this (and a bunch of mods) is that if you can cheese it (for example, I set up my altar in the hunting dimension, and then just stayed on top of a stone pillar area and AFK'd while charging my tablet) then everyone will do that, but cheesing it is boring as hell. Sitting there watching statues slowly fill up your book for like 5-10 minutes is basically the anti-fun equation, and there aren't many other real ways to get that stuff done.

The part I find really weird is that all these mods based around 'put yourself in danger to get resources' really should just have some sort of thing like Blood Magic where you kill monsters and get demonic will or whatever. Instead it's just 'AFK for 10 minutes, during that time there'll be four events where you are in danger for you to deal with'. It's just equal parts boring as hell and intermittently possible base-ruining (if you get a shoggoth spawn because you built the statue charging area in your base you could literally render your base uninhabitable if they multiply.)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Maguoob posted:

Honestly I wouldn’t recommend doing the first page farming poo poo. Try and get to the parabox as soon as possible and make a single upgraded geothermal generator. Once you do that it is time to use the parabox to dupe the hell out of speed upgrades and get yourself a couple more generators.

Seriously, parabox item duplication is intended and you should abuse the hell out of it. Also if you have a bunch of geothermal generators with 4 stacks of speed upgrades you can then start a loop and go do something else for a couple hours.

Ive got no idea what you're talking about >< but ill start making the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

(if you get a shoggoth spawn because you built the statue charging area in your base you could literally render your base uninhabitable if they multiply.)

Protip: shoggoth statues have a block at the base that serves as a spawner for the shoggoths, and it eventually runs out. Heavy shoggoth infestations can be dealt with by spawning 5-6, running away to despawn them, then running back to repeat the process.