Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Also in the parents only bought lovely non-tooth rotting cereals.
Corn flakes, rice crispies, Cheerios etc. THat didn't stop us from dumping in a half cup of sugar from the cupboard though.

When I went to college and I was just moving in, my mom went grocery shopping with me. First thing I did was go to the cereal aisle and get two boxes of Count Chocula. That first semester I tried all sorts of crap. Trix was disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Also, the commercial had the Batman theme blaring as a spoon slammed into an overfilled bowl and sent cereal pieces flying everywhere. To a 6-year-old, that's pretty amazing!

Boy, you weren't kidding.

I guess they figured another Tim Burton-directed protagonist was also completely impractical when it came to eating cereal, so why not just go for it.

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 11:46 on May 2, 2019

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Sweevo posted:

I've been selling some old car magazines on ebay, and flicking through them to check their condition I noticed that there's suddenly an explosion in ads for car alarms in about 1992-ish. Late 80s, nothing. Then suddenly there are four or five ads in every issue all through the mid-90s. Then it dropped off again.

Handbrake/steering wheel locks too.

Lol, I imagine Bill Clinton was elected and he was going to let all the criminals out of prison /s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jaguars! posted:

Pop-up headlights fall into the same category as that Douglas Adams bit about humans thinking digital watches were pretty nifty.

I dunno if car alarms were old hat in America by the 90's, but here in NZ we thought Grandad's brand new 92 Corolla was pretty swanky because it had an alarm. It was known as 'the pop-pop car' because of the lock/unlock chirp it made.

Remember the beginning of Predator 2? Yeah, we really thought that was an accurate depiction of cities by the late 90's

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

Remember the beginning of Predator 2? Yeah, we really thought that was an accurate depiction of cities by the late 90's

Warriors was a documentary right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ambitious Spider posted:

I wish :(

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

wesleywillis posted:

Also in the parents only bought lovely non-tooth rotting cereals.
Corn flakes, rice crispies, Cheerios etc. THat didn't stop us from dumping in a half cup of sugar from the cupboard though.

That’s the thing. Parents who wouldn’t buy sugar cereal (mine) were really only teaching their kids about the delicious sugar slurry that would form at the bottom of a bowl of home-made “frosted flakes.”

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
We were only sweetening the milk when you think about it *does huge bong rip*.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ambitious Spider posted:

Real street gangs could only wish they were that cool.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
When I was a kid my favorites were cocoa puffs and frosted flakes. I wished they'd combine the two and one day in my early 20's I was shopping in a carniceria and BAM! Choco Zucaritas exist. I still like them but it's a desert and not a breakfast lmao.

Now that I've probably killed cereal chat, the most 90's thing I remember is that on my 16th birthday I was pretty stoked because hell yeah, a driver's licence and freedom and everything right? Well i turned 16 on 4/8/94. The day Kurt Cobain's body was discovered. Everyone of my friends I talked to was super bummed out and my birthday kinda sucked. Well that's my story and I'm glad I was able to make someone's tragic decision to end their life all about me and my stupid birthday.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Ambitious Spider posted:

Just read an article about how well the movie captured NYC's grit during that time period:

https://medium.com/s/cineplex-79/hollywoods-greatest-year-remembering-when-the-warriors-came-out-to-play-2c770709225

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Croatoan posted:

When I was a kid my favorites were cocoa puffs and frosted flakes. I wished they'd combine the two and one day in my early 20's I was shopping in a carniceria and BAM! Choco Zucaritas exist. I still like them but it's a desert and not a breakfast lmao.

Now that I've probably killed cereal chat, the most 90's thing I remember is that on my 16th birthday I was pretty stoked because hell yeah, a driver's licence and freedom and everything right? Well i turned 16 on 4/8/94. The day Kurt Cobain's body was discovered. Everyone of my friends I talked to was super bummed out and my birthday kinda sucked. Well that's my story and I'm glad I was able to make someone's tragic decision to end their life all about me and my stupid birthday.

That was the first day I smoked weed. We were smoking off a Coke can, and the the breaking news thingy with Kurt Loder came up.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Randaconda posted:

That was the first day I smoked weed. We were smoking off a Coke can, and the the breaking news thingy with Kurt Loder came up.

Well that'd be a bummer too.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Croatoan posted:

I went to get my license on 9/11

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Well i turned 16 on 4/8/94. The day Kurt Cobain's body was discovered. Everyone of my friends I talked to was super bummed out and my birthday kinda sucked. Well that's my story and I'm glad I was able to make someone's tragic decision to end their life all about me and my stupid birthday.
Doxxing myself to say I turned 21 on 9/11/2001.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My parents had taken us on a big two week road/camping trip to the Grand Canyon and all points between, so I didn't actually find out that Kurt Cobain was dead until after I came back.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
I did a 90s themed project last year and delved into a lot of magazines from '94-'97. Here are a few saved images (most clipped to be use a 'zine style college)

Yeah, I don't think that happened.

I had never heard the term "Generation 13" until last year.

Hey Bart, remember pogs? Well, they're back - in vinyl form!

'60s comedian Foster Brooks wants you to fix impotence with "vacuum therapy." Yeah, that means what you think it means. Fun fact: This ad - along with other companies - was in every issue of the American Legion's very-conservative (damned flag burning liberals!) monthly newsletter. Connection? Hmmmm.

Bunch more here: https://imgur.com/a/hUrdUlZ

[Edit: fixed an annoying typo]

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents had taken us on a big two week road/camping trip to the Grand Canyon and all points between, so I didn't actually find out that Kurt Cobain was dead until after I came back.

A friend of mine was on his honeymoon cruise when Stan Lee died. The second he texted us saying he was back I had to ruin his day

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Gen X is Gen 13? Well the name of that very ‘90s comic about (extremely attractive) teen superheroes makes more sense now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Naked Man Punch posted:

I had never heard the term "Generation 13" until last year.

This actually checks out, I heard Millennials referred to as "Generation Y" and a few other names before Millennials became the common term. Same with Gen Z, I heard iGen and Smartphone Generation tossed around as recently as three or four years ago.

Generations' names are as made up as their age ranges, and it takes a while for the media to decide on the winner.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Parkingtigers posted:

Gen X is Gen 13? Well the name of that very ‘90s comic about (extremely attractive) teen superheroes makes more sense now.

The only thing I know about Gen 13 is from the Swimsuit Issue that the comic book store owner convinced me to buy for some reason.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Big Mad Drongo posted:

This actually checks out, I heard Millennials referred to as "Generation Y" and a few other names before Millennials became the common term. Same with Gen Z, I heard iGen and Smartphone Generation tossed around as recently as three or four years ago.

Generations' names are as made up as their age ranges, and it takes a while for the media to decide on the winner.

The concept of delineating between generations at all is also a pretty new idea. Then again massive world changes every freaking decade is also a pretty new phenomenon. For pretty much the entirety of human history it was "95% of people born have a 99.99% chance of being a hunter gatherer or a farmer." The next generation might be slightly different from the previous one but probably not.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The concept of delineating between generations at all is also a pretty new idea. Then again massive world changes every freaking decade is also a pretty new phenomenon. For pretty much the entirety of human history it was "95% of people born have a 99.99% chance of being a hunter gatherer or a farmer." The next generation might be slightly different from the previous one but probably not.

100 years ago it was a loving huge thing if someone was accepted to study in an university because our country used to basically only have just one. It was also perfectly normal to never go more than 200 km away from your birthplace except if drafted for military or joining the merchant navy. Even if you lived in a place with a railway connection.

only just 60 years ago it was a news item, if someone went to "not neighboring county" as a researcher for period longer than 1 month to visit their labs or library.

40 years ago it was new and exiting concept to go to the Spain or Canary Islands to spend your vacation, since it had just become affordable to the normal middle class worker family to go abroad for a vacation. You needed to save cash to do that even with 2 full incomes family, but it was possible.

And as recent as 30 years ago fresh grapes, grapefruits, kiwis, oranges, plumbs and such simply were not available during the off-season periods. And this is from someone not from the Soviet satellite countries.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah but Stan Lee dying was a surprise to no one really. Dude was in his 90s. At least, it shouldn’t have been surprising he died.

Cobain was one people should have seen coming but didn’t so it was a shock.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

wesleywillis posted:

When I went to college and I was just moving in, my mom went grocery shopping with me. First thing I did was go to the cereal aisle and get two boxes of Count Chocula. That first semester I tried all sorts of crap. Trix was disappointing.

Your peers were experimenting with drugs and you dove down the rabbit hole that is the cereal aisle. Now all I can imagine is the bend and dirty spoon being used not for cooking heroin but binging on Cap'n Crunch.

I know Jobs was revered by some as a savior and evangelist (of Apple) but did they photoshop a priest collar on him?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'd expect a crown of thorns and maybe him nailed to the cross

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WescottF1 posted:

Just read an article about how well the movie captured NYC's grit during that time period:

https://medium.com/s/cineplex-79/hollywoods-greatest-year-remembering-when-the-warriors-came-out-to-play-2c770709225

that was a cool article. Thanks!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

uli2000 posted:

I know Jobs was revered by some as a savior and evangelist (of Apple) but did they photoshop a priest collar on him?

His loving "Oooooh look what I'M doing!" expression makes me think it might've been his idea.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If he was so smart why is he dead.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Didn't he try to fight his cancer through some batshit method, like putting fruit in his rear end or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volcott posted:

If he was so smart why is he dead.

He thought he was smarter than his doctors.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leavemywife posted:

Didn't he try to fight his cancer through some batshit method, like putting fruit in his rear end or something?

It just works

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Look, who are you going to believe, the guy worth billions or some doctor?

the billionaire learned the hard way he couldn't take it with him

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Leavemywife posted:

He tried to fight cancer by not getting treatment that his doctors said would very likely save his life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don Gato posted:

Look, who are you going to believe, the guy worth billions or some doctor?

the billionaire learned the hard way he couldn't take it with him

Just you wait once of these guys us going to liquidate all his assets and have it cremated with them. Billionaires will find a way

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Leavemywife posted:

Don’t kink shame.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leavemywife posted:

He saved Apple so many times he thought they owed him one.

Also, I owned that Mac Addict magazine. Couldn't run a lot of the games but lived talking about computer poo poo with my pc loving classmates.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

uli2000 posted:

Your peers were experimenting with drugs and you dove down the rabbit hole that is the cereal aisle. Now all I can imagine is the bend and dirty spoon being used not for cooking heroin but binging on Cap'n Crunch.

Yeah, by that time I was no longer just "experimenting" with drugs and alcohol.....

Mu Zeta posted:

He tried to fight cancer by not getting treatment that his doctors said would very likely save his life.

Bbbbuttt!! He ate like half a cup of turmeric every morning!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

He saved Apple so many times he thought they owed him one.

Also, I owned that Mac Addict magazine. Couldn't run a lot of the games but lived talking about computer poo poo with my pc loving classmates.

At least we had Marathon