Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As Nero Danced posted:

I just had a thought. At the end of season 7, Jon and Dany's initial request was that Cersei withdraw her armies and not attack them. She didn't actually move against the North or Dany's conquered territories while they were preoccupied with the army of the dead. Even though she lied when she pledged her forces to fight the zombies, she didn't actually do any more than they wanted her to in the first place.

Granted that's mainly because she didn't have time to move against them because the way time and travel works in this show now, but still.

There's a gently caress tonne of plausible deniability for Cersei to be honest.

1. All the white walkers and wights are now dead. The North will destroy the bodies and all evidence. Any of the southern Lannister lands have no evidence the battle actually happened other than the North saying it did. Why is the wall broken? "It's old". Why does Daenerys only have two dragons? "It's winter up north, there's not much food anymore"
2. Cersei doesn't need to admit anything to the small folk and to the north, she can say that she did send her armies to fight the dead, but that she fortified her own lands so that they could be defended if the north fell. She couldn't afford to leave her lands and people undefended entirely. They won't believe it but there also all in Winterfell defending from the NK and don't have the men to spare to especially check on what Cersei is doing.

Azhais posted:

Bran's story pretty much ends with the NK, he should pretty much just be all

like the old 3ER after the battle.

Alternately the series ends with Jaime throwing Cersi out a window after she catches him loving Bran, could go either way at this point

A lot of characters with no more story are hanging around and having plot points.

See: Arya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Alhazred posted:

This was a show where they killed an unarmed pregnant lady and it became one of the most popular and talked about episode ever. The writers would probably do everything to get that amount of buzz again.
and if you've watched seven seasons of GoT you're not going to stop now when there's three episodes left, no matter what happen.

Yeah realistically the majority of people wont turn it off, though i do think there would be massive backlash if something like the Red Wedding happened now, i do feel like the show runners have taken a diversion from the original tone of the show, likely to appeal to a certain set of fans.

When we start GOT, the first episode has Jaime's attempted murder of a child. This sets the stage for what we can expect out of Game of Thrones: it's a brutal world where no one is safe, characters can die at any moment, if you gently caress up you're likely dead, and that's further established by Ned losing his head, the Red Wedding etc etc. Where the show is now feels like they wouldnt dare do something of that nature. It's very much gone from bad things can happen to these characters potentially out of nowhere because that's the nature of the world, to these characters are invincible until the plot calls for it even if they're shown in situations that in earlier seasons would mean that they couldnt possibly survive.

I do think that it's for two reasons it's gone in this direction. That the writers have their view of the final shot of Game of Thrones, and certain characters are in certain places and they will do anything to keep them alive even if it means we get these super human versions of them where they can survive practically any danger until the show calls for it, because the writers have put themselves in a corner where they need to keep the tension going and keep us guessing these character's fates but due to them being bad at their jobs the only way they could think to do this was show character X being mauled by 5+ zombies then cut away and repeat over and over. The other reason is that i do genuinely think that the brutality of the earlier seasons of GOT just wouldnt fly now, that executives or the show runners are too scared of killing off major characters out of the blue because well the internet would melt down if say Arya died for example (not in a Red Wedding reaction way where it's seen as brutal but a great moment, but a how could you treat my beloved Arya like this way), Game of Thrones has become for many fans a show about the bad guys vs the good guys and they want to cheer when Arya kills the Night King and boo when Cersei is on the screen, and hey that's fine but it isnt really what the show set out to do in the beginning, the show felt interesting because there were many shades of grey to characters and it was fantasy mixed with a gritty realistic world of political intrigue and drama. Plus the cynical part of me says hey these characters might show up in a prequel, sequel movie or spin off and you gotta keep the cash cow going.

Also i'd love to be totally wrong about all this and in the next episode or two major character just get ended and it's a bloodbath, just please no sweet happy ending.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A lot of characters with no more story are hanging around and having plot points.

See: Arya.

Eh, Arya is a Stark looking for revenge, and Cersei is on her list. She makes perfect sense to be going.

Bran has made it pretty clear he isn't actually Bran anymore any time anyone brings it up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hope Cersei gives everyone the death smooch, and then tells Dany "Eat my poo poo, mate"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cersei isn't part of Arya's story though, she's got a list but so what, it's not been relevant for years.
Cersei is part of Jaime, Tyrion and, by circumstance more than actual plot, Dany's story. Arya should have nothing at all to do with that. Jon's got no reason to actually want the Throne either.

I know that's not stopping D&D, but still. Sure, she should go to support the Starks in the battle for King's Landing, but her even getting close to assassinating Cersei is crap.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Its Coke posted:

Actual spoiler involving recent discussion Dany does in fact go too far and get killed by Jon

Those ones are under a diff account than the most recent correct spoilers iirc, but yah I hope they're true. It would prob make the Tyrion spoiler true too.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Also the headphone jack on my phone just died and I think that's a more tragic death than the show could pull off at this point

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Just Chamber posted:

Also the headphone jack on my phone just died and I think that's a more tragic death than the show could pull off at this point

Idk people are taking the Night Kings death pretty hard.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I wouldn't doubt The Hound and then Arya dying to The Mountain. There's no getting to Cersei for Arya in that scenario.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If Arya didn't die in her ancestral home, after finally coming back to being Arya with what's left of her family, instead of being "no one", she's not dying at all.

The real point of "not today" is that it's going to be "today" eventually, and the last ep was the best time to pull that trigger on Arya if they were to. (They won't, the show has kid gloves on)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 3, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Arya dies next episode of something mundane like fantasy tuberculosis

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Guze posted:

Idk people are taking the Night Kings death pretty hard.

Tragic though? Nah. It definitely wins most anticlimactic death though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bobjr posted:

Arya dies next episode of something mundane like fantasy tuberculosis

It'd make her just ganking him better if him grabbing her by the throat gave her some irreparable damage that's actually going to have a permanent effect on her, or like if the explosion destroyed her stabbing arm.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arya won't die b/c GRRM's wife said she'll leave if he kills her. Arya surviving was 100% one of the notes D&D got.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Speaking of baiting the audience to believe characters might die, I actually thought it was a pretty cool moment when Melisandre walks up to Greyworm and says "Valar Morghulis" and you get the distinct impression that he knows he's about to die and go out fighting but he's accepted his fate (also that she can maybe see he's about to die).

Then he just backs away from his fellow Unsullied and closes the bridge behind them leaving them to die... what a leader :allears:

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 3, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bear suit made of dragon glass = one man army

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Bear suit made of dragon glass = one man army

Put it on Sam and bowl him into the undead

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Best thing that happened in season 4 was Oberyn getting his skull crushed, because Oberyn was pretty cool, his motivation seemed right, and the life lesson about getting cocky when you’re winning was extremely succinct

Edit: poo poo, several pages behind the conversation

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Steve Yun posted:

Best thing that happened in season 4 was Oberyn getting his skull crushed, because Oberyn was pretty cool, his motivation seemed right, and the life lesson about getting cocky when you’re winning was extremely succinct

Also it freed him to be in better movies

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Yea Oberyn's death was like the show distilled perfectly into one moment, probably that and Ned's fate. Doesn't matter if you're just or if you're the most skilled, you make a mistake or you underestimate those around you and you'll lose.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also great seahawks/patriots super bowl memes.

the problem with the deaths in the show now is they're either minor characters that they kill off to just have a death (thoros, who i was sad was gone but extra sad he died via such a stupid plotline) or is incredibly anticlimactic because they seem to want to get it out of the way (walder frey and his brood). even jorah's death seemed kinda "so what?" because the situation was so silly.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Azhais posted:

Also it freed him to be in better movies

Yeah like... Kingsman 2?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oberyn's plot was good because it was the sort of thing that rightfully should happen to Arya but doesnt. Someone tries to break all the rules of Westeros and gets obliterated for it. The best part wasn't just his face getting crushed by the mountain, it's that the mountain proudly takes credit for exactly what Oberyn accused him of.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

Oberyn's plot was good because it was the sort of thing that rightfully should happen to Arya but doesnt. Someone tries to break all the rules of Westeros and gets obliterated for it.

Dany's going to break the wheel!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Just Chamber posted:

Doesn't matter if you're just or if you're the most skilled, you make a mistake or you underestimate those around you and you'll lose.

Just like the Night King! :v:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Oberyn Martell confirmed Night King SEND TWEET.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

No Wave posted:

Oberyn's plot was good because it was the sort of thing that rightfully should happen to Arya but doesnt. Someone tries to break all the rules of Westeros and gets obliterated for it. The best part wasn't just his face getting crushed by the mountain, it's that the mountain proudly takes credit for exactly what Oberyn accused him of.

Well, some people in real life do break the rules a culture has set up and get away with it, so it's not unrealistic. Not to mention Arya is a magic assassin and Oberyn's only power was being incredibly Latin.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only minor issue I have with that scene is the new Mountain wasn’t the best at looking like he was a good sword fighter, but it still sells that Oberyn got too cocky and confident about things

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

She’s kind of breaking my will to keep watching (not really).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bobjr posted:

The only minor issue I have with that scene is the new Mountain wasn’t the best at looking like he was a good sword fighter, but it still sells that Oberyn got too cocky and confident about things

the first mountain was the only one that looked scary (he's also the tallest one).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
But mainly that scowl. Especially in the s1 episode when he decapitated his horse

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

esperterra posted:

The reason obsidian and valyrian steel is special is because of dragonflame. Normal fire not hurting him is fine but him being immune to the thing that created his weaknesses is lame.

All it took to make that scene not dumb would be making it clearly, visibly obvious that the NK was parting the flames with some unseen force like that one Walker did at Hardhome.

Not sure if it is said in the show, but blood magic is very much part of the secrets of Valyrian steel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Xanderkish posted:

This was also the show whose first episode concluded with a man pushing a child out a window and paralyzing him for life, and then the man getting a whole redemption arc until he became one of the show favorites.

Theon burned two children and got a super duper heoric "you're a good man" moment too

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
All the evil in him was in his dick.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Now that I am the Queen on the Iron Throne I see that the wheel is actually good. If anyone disagrees my 2 dragons will burn you alive.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Look when I said "break the wheel" I meant your feudal lord can't break :decorum: when he murders your family for not paying taxes. If he does, or if you complain about your family being murdered, my fire breathing monsters will eat you all.

It just won't do to be impolite about these things.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It sure was admirable that the great woke liberator's latest act of compassion was sending an entire immigrant population to die as cannon fodder.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

esperterra posted:

Those ones are under a diff account than the most recent correct spoilers iirc, but yah I hope they're true. It would prob make the Tyrion spoiler true too.

The correct account also had a small number of spoilers (nothing about Tyrion) and Jon killing Dany was one of them

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bottom Liner posted:

Theon burned two children and got a super duper heoric "you're a good man" moment too

Yeah well how much suffering does a man have to suffer after murdering two children in cold blood and burning their corpses before he can be forgiven??

Also I hated Stannis. He sucked poo poo and it never surprised me that the internet's most vocal nerds supported his campaign of weaponized autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You gently caress-o's should love Bran, he only upsets y'all cus he's the snow globe kid, not The Accountant.