Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So Dark the Night is good, too. Funny how Joseph H. Lewis directed it and Julia Ross. And what do you know, he also directed Gun Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

So Dark the Night is good, too. Funny how Joseph H. Lewis directed it and Julia Ross. And what do you know, he also directed Gun Crazy.

I loved some aspects of So Dark the Night but man that ending was Psycho levels of this isn't how any of this works.

I hope they're working on better film presentation through the channel, right now you either have to have a broad idea of what you're looking for, know exactly what you want or be happy with what's on the front page. There's a TON of stuff in the catalog that won't be exposed because it's obscure. I watched Peppermint Frappe last week and the only way I found that film was because I had written it down when it was featured on Filmstruck.

I also watched Ali : Fear Eats the Soul Tuesday night and wow, having never seen anything by Fassbinder before, I'm definitely going to dive into the rest of his catalogue. That's the real strength of the channel to me - if there's a director I like, I can easily watch a bunch of their films.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cloks posted:

I loved some aspects of So Dark the Night but man that ending was Psycho levels of this isn't how any of this works.

I hope they're working on better film presentation through the channel, right now you either have to have a broad idea of what you're looking for, know exactly what you want or be happy with what's on the front page. There's a TON of stuff in the catalog that won't be exposed because it's obscure. I watched Peppermint Frappe last week and the only way I found that film was because I had written it down when it was featured on Filmstruck.

I also watched Ali : Fear Eats the Soul Tuesday night and wow, having never seen anything by Fassbinder before, I'm definitely going to dive into the rest of his catalogue. That's the real strength of the channel to me - if there's a director I like, I can easily watch a bunch of their films.

The collections are going to rotate/expand, so if you just watch stuff from those it'll be a bit like one of those curated services. I actually really like that, i never do the netflix thing where you just endlessly scroll through poo poo, pick nothing and then get bored and move on

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

The collections are going to rotate/expand, so if you just watch stuff from those it'll be a bit like one of those curated services. I actually really like that, i never do the netflix thing where you just endlessly scroll through poo poo, pick nothing and then get bored and move on

It's important to note that not all collections are rotating out. A lot of stuff is permanent. All those Zatoichi films are here to stay. However the expiration dates aren't quite visible. You have to go select the movie, and then expand the description to see if there's a date in there or not. In Filmstruck the date was always visible, plus there was a "Leaving Soon" tab that you could explore.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
What films have expiration dates? I haven't noticed them on anything I've checked the description for.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Almost Blue posted:

What films have expiration dates? I haven't noticed them on anything I've checked the description for.

Some that I found:

All of the Columbia Noir(June 30)
All the Charles Burnett(Some end on June 30 others on September 30)
All the Susanne Bier(June 30)
Elephant Man(May 31)
Mulholland Drive(June 30)
Virgin Suicides(June 30)
Bugsy Malone(June 30)
Rocco and His Brothers(September 30)
Kaili Blues(September 30)

There really is no way other than just going one by one.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
May lineup for the channel just went up

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6314-coming-attractions-the-criterion-channel-s-may-lineup

Excited to finally watch Night Of The Hunter

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I'm most excited for the Kelly Reichardt, Carol Reed, and Hong Sang-soo

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If anyone was wondering, you can cancel your Criterion Channel trial now and still use it till May 8th. That wasn't clear in their FAQ and I was worried I might forget on the 7th.

Unfortunately the whole thing was just too half-baked for me to be on board for a year. I can't watch with Chromecast yet, which forces me to use my laptop and an HDMI cable to my TV. And the web player is just bad. Frequently it will drop to 240p quality for no reason, or stop playback randomly. Skipping ahead takes 10+ seconds sometimes. It's kind of funny that the web player they use for trailers is better and lets you select a resolution, but full movies get the stripped down player.

Hopefully the service takes off and they can fix some of the issues. If they ever put out a PS4 app I'd definitely consider resubscribing at the regular price.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Salesman is great if you wanna watch old men just ramble around about nothing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Salesman is great if you wanna watch old men just ramble around about nothing.

Sounds like these forums.

Hey-oooooo

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just coming in to talk about Salesman. I’ve told this story before but My grandfather is one of the salesman in the film and this is the only way I’ve ever got to see him. He was passed away by the time I was born and we never had any pictures of him so it was always Salesman, but what’s cool is that as technology advanced I was able to get a better look at my grandfather going from vhs quality to dvd to now this highest quality. It’s great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I was just coming in to talk about Salesman. I’ve told this story before but My grandfather is one of the salesman in the film and this is the only way I’ve ever got to see him. He was passed away by the time I was born and we never had any pictures of him so it was always Salesman, but what’s cool is that as technology advanced I was able to get a better look at my grandfather going from vhs quality to dvd to now this highest quality. It’s great.

That’s actually really cool, plus you don’t have to worry about pictures fading or getting lost over the years. Just pop in Salesman. I’ve been meaning to watch it for a long time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which one was he? The Gipper?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which one was he? The Gipper?

Yep good guess!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That's rad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

You ought to contact Criterion about this since they haven't released Salesman on Blu-ray yet.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah I just want to say that’s an awesome story. Your grandpa will probably be recorded better in history by being put to film than most people despite having no photos of him. Something something the power of cinema.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks all! Yeah I’ll reach out to them and tell them the story. I tried to reach the Maysles before they died but never got a response back but I’ll try Criterion

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cloks posted:

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant is so great.

Beware of a Holy Whore is great too but even better if you watch it after seeing a bunch of his other films because a lot of the actors are mostly portraying each other in real life and its mostly his stable.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Cloks posted:

Make sure to dive into some of the trivia and the behind the scenes, it's fascinating and sad.

I've been waiting for Salesman to be released on Blu-Ray for a while. A lot of people I talk to seem luke warm on it, but the look at a thing largely now extinct is something right up my alley. That's really cool that you have that personal connection with it.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 3, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion will be sending out all the charter (early) subscribers a steel membership card.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion will be sending out all the charter (early) subscribers a steel membership card.

I don’t know what I’m going to do with this but I’m amused

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

We are on track for Chromecast support in iOS and Android apps next week.
For those wondering.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hope you guys don't mind, but I'm selling a bunch of criterions to slim down the collection. Thought you guys would like a heads up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888830

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Can't wait to smugly flash my steel Criterion card to get sweet VIP seats at my local hipster cinema.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Origami Dali posted:

Can't wait to smugly flash my steel Criterion card to get sweet VIP seats at my local hipster cinema.

i be like plz Origami sir sit in any one of our 475 unreservable seats you goddamn bigshot bastard

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Kinda bummed it probably wont have a notch cut so it can open bottles

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm trying to watch movies from every year represented on the Criterion Channel catalog, and man, I just cannot get into Harold Lloyd. He's fine in like 10 minute shorts but I just watched High and Dizzy which is almost 30 minutes and I never thought I'd say this, but the slapstick just gets real boring.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm trying to watch movies from every year represented on the Criterion Channel catalog, and man, I just cannot get into Harold Lloyd. He's fine in like 10 minute shorts but I just watched High and Dizzy which is almost 30 minutes and I never thought I'd say this, but the slapstick just gets real boring.

For what it's worth, I don't find Lloyd to be anywhere near as consistent as Chaplin or Keaton (especially Keaton), but Safety Last! is probably my favorite silent comedy feature and I think it's his best overall film. I don't think Lloyd's short films are as good as his features, at least not to the degree where Chaplin's Mutual films and pretty much all of Keaton's 1920-1923 shorts are one great film after another.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Safety Last! is great, but Lloyd is not particularly charming or relatable, which made The Freshman a real chore for me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Egbert Souse posted:

For what it's worth, I don't find Lloyd to be anywhere near as consistent as Chaplin or Keaton (especially Keaton), but Safety Last! is probably my favorite silent comedy feature and I think it's his best overall film. I don't think Lloyd's short films are as good as his features, at least not to the degree where Chaplin's Mutual films and pretty much all of Keaton's 1920-1923 shorts are one great film after another.

I wish the CC had some Keaton on it, but I'm def going to watch The Kid next. Then in 1922 I get to watch motherfucking HAXAN.

I'll give Safety Last a shot when I get there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I wish the CC had some Keaton on it, but I'm def going to watch The Kid next. Then in 1922 I get to watch motherfucking HAXAN.

I'll give Safety Last a shot when I get there.

They will eventually have Keaton since the launch announcement mentioned stuff from Cohen Media, who has the rights to the 4K restorations of the Keaton features. Probably waiting for when they put out The Cameraman.

Besides the Keaton films, Cohen also has Intolerance, The Thief of Bagdad (Fairbanks), Broken Blossoms, Jamaica Inn, The Old Dark House, Harry Langdon's features (like The Strong Man), and the Merchant-Ivory library.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Just got Police Story in the mail today. The transfer looks so drat good. The last time I saw Police Story 1 was on some bad dvd transfer. Really sharp.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Harold Lloyd will have my heart if only for an Eastern Westerners takedown of Birth of a Nation.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

soggybagel posted:

Just got Police Story in the mail today. The transfer looks so drat good. The last time I saw Police Story 1 was on some bad dvd transfer. Really sharp.

I held that BluRay in my hands today but decided against it and halfway home I got whatever the opposite of buyer's remorse is.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Eh... gently caress it" Syndrome?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Kid still slaps, what a good movie. The supplemental doc on undercranking is pretty cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there no way to change languages on Criterion Channel, or is that a movie by movie thing? I watched Godzilla vs King Gidorah last week and it was in Japanese. I started Invasion of Astro Monster today and I was ten minutes in before I realized I wasn't suddenly fluent in Japanese, that it was in English the whole time with no way to put in in Japanese.