Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

This is so hosed

"Management appreciates that he is effective at fostering Stockholm Syndrome."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Steve Kerr and Greg Popvich are bad coaches too by this standard.

There are like two examples of this in however many years Pop has been coaching, and that's only if you really want to blame him for Stephen Jackson being crazy. Kerr has definitely had drama but not really anything that caused the team to totally fall apart the way the Cavs did for a big chunk of the regular season.

Anyway I don't think Lue is like an outright terrible coach or anything I just don't see what the evidence for him having a great handle on the locker room is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm sorta willing to give Ty a pass on the Kyrie thing as I think that had more to do with Lebron & Kyrie than anything else. I mostly gave Lue credit for getting short-timers integrated and bought in quick, but when you're basically guaranteed a Finals berth if you just do your basic job it's probably really easy to sell people on the scheme. Probably won't be the case in LA next year. Lebron is obviously lobbying for him to come back so at the very least that's a plus. I don't know what Lue will do that Walton couldn't though.

We need a control pot of tortilla soup around to make sure.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/1124392198320136193

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
He's gonna ignore all that stuff and cling to the paint points, isn't he?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

scuz posted:

He's gonna ignore all that stuff and cling to the paint points, isn't he?

That's what he did. Robin Lopez post-ups were the offense.

Also they time their poo poo to avoid getting poo poo on too much.

https://twitter.com/DavidHaugh/status/1124401940593545216

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Stephen Jackson's not the only example of Pop losing the locker room. LMA's first year, the mess around Kawhi and not to mention that all of those dudes hated him when he was GM and pretty much ignored him when he took over as coach. Obviously it's easy to blame the involved players, because all the examples are locker rooms with guys who are notorious, but I think that's illustrative of my point, which is that coaches only have so much control over what type of culture the locker room has. If anything this is a GM thing more than anything.

I mean I can name four guys and a reality TV show notorious for being locker room problems with that Cavs team that year.

Don't get me wrong, the Lakers are going to have locker room problems this year because Javale and Rondo are likely to come back but I think Cool Older Brother Ty Lue (or Cool Uncle Who's Religious But Not a Dick About It Monty Williams had they gone that direction) have as better chance of reaching people than Cankerous Preacher Mark Jackson or Bully Brother Jason Kidd.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I don't understand how you look at Kyrie and blame ty lue unless you have some kind of bizarre broken homer brain

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Most teams are probably better off with coaches like Ty Lue and Nate McMillan rather than coaches like Brad Stevens because most teams aren't full of weird dorks

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Vinestalk posted:

This is so hosed

"Management appreciates that he is effective at fostering Stockholm Syndrome."

It’s Helsinki Syndrome now

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My metal band Boylen Syndrome is opening for ICE ICE ICE and Buechler Death Cult at subterranean

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
A Drop D metal band. As in drop some heavy DE-FENSE on their rear end.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This is the summer the morris brothers' terrible discount contracts are up. It looks like Marcus should make good money and Markieff might not make it back to the league

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

Stephen Jackson's not the only example of Pop losing the locker room. LMA's first year, the mess around Kawhi and not to mention that all of those dudes hated him when he was GM and pretty much ignored him when he took over as coach. Obviously it's easy to blame the involved players, because all the examples are locker rooms with guys who are notorious, but I think that's illustrative of my point, which is that coaches only have so much control over what type of culture the locker room has. If anything this is a GM thing more than anything.

I mean I can name four guys and a reality TV show notorious for being locker room problems with that Cavs team that year.

Don't get me wrong, the Lakers are going to have locker room problems this year because Javale and Rondo are likely to come back but I think Cool Older Brother Ty Lue (or Cool Uncle Who's Religious But Not a Dick About It Monty Williams had they gone that direction) have as better chance of reaching people than Cankerous Preacher Mark Jackson or Bully Brother Jason Kidd.

ty lue makes sense for a lebron team; he’s very much a player’s coach and isn’t going to get cute with x’s and o’s or trying to call plays

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rick posted:

Stephen Jackson was upset that he wasn't starting and that Poop told him to stop smoking weed all the time.

Aldridge has had "mood issues" at every single place he's been, including high school and college

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Pop also solved the LMA issue in a way almost no other coach would have been able to.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls actually have some legit talented young dudes (plus a top-5 pick this season) and boylen is going to loving ruin all of them

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bulls actually have some legit talented young dudes (plus a top-5 pick this season) and boylen is going to loving ruin all of them

Boylen seems to be serving a derek fisher esque "this guy sucks but he kind of connects with the guys so let's pretend he's seriously an NBA coach while we tank" sort of hire. But the Bulls work in mysterious ways and make money no matter what. I think that's the main thing. If all the dumb garpax poo poo meant they were losing money on the balance sheet, not the fake NBA balance sheet but the real one, things would change.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

MourningView posted:

There are like two examples of this in however many years Pop has been coaching, and that's only if you really want to blame him for Stephen Jackson being crazy. Kerr has definitely had drama but not really anything that caused the team to totally fall apart the way the Cavs did for a big chunk of the regular season.

Anyway I don't think Lue is like an outright terrible coach or anything I just don't see what the evidence for him having a great handle on the locker room is.

He's good at caving to LeBron, so he'll be a good fit.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is the summer the morris brothers' terrible discount contracts are up. It looks like Marcus should make good money and Markieff might not make it back to the league

I don’t even remember where Markieff is. Washington?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

I don’t even remember where Markieff is. Washington?

OKC

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Chicago Bulls front office is stupid as hell

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Timberwolves had their intro presser with Rosas today and boy oh boy I am buying into this hope real hard :swoon:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
oof. nothing that noone really didn't already expect, but still...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.814dbfab4d82

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kibner posted:

oof. nothing that noone really didn't already expect, but still...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.814dbfab4d82

Grunfeld sounds like the nicest dude on Earth, and he must be considering how long he got to do the job that being nice usually gets taken advantage of.

It is weird though that didn't attract free agents, even if the team is bad it seems chill.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Rick posted:

Grunfeld sounds like the nicest dude on Earth, and he must be considering how long he got to do the job that being nice usually gets taken advantage of.

It is weird though that didn't attract free agents, even if the team is bad it seems chill.

I'm sure it would have been attractive to guys who weren't super into being on competitive teams (coincidentally, like most of Washington's players the last decade or so), but I think most players are competitive and realize that having some discipline and accountability helps them win. You don't work your rear end off to get to Kevin Durant's level and then in your prime decide you want to take it easy y'know?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thibs to Lakers as AC?

Made me go :thunk:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Lue Thibs Vogel would be a hell of a coaching lineup

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Whatever it takes to get Lebron to play a tiny bit of D.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Whatever it takes to get Lebron to play a tiny bit of D.

Thibs had some trouble getting guys in MN to play D.....

Though Lou to be the front man & player's coach and let Thibs design the schemes is a really good combo.

Edit: Also, Thibs put together a really effective offense in MN despite not having particularly good shooters, which is something that might be valuable in LA. It wasn't pretty but it was efficient.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 7, 2019

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lengthier look at Rosas and his plans for the Wolves, featuring a paragraph on our favorite max-contract bust:

quote:

“The reality is this: If I go out on the market to get a player, I’m not going to find a player that’s got a bigger upside than Andrew,” said Rosas. “He’s a very talented individual, he’s got a ton of physical tools, and he’s a great kid. We have to mature him into a great player, and that’s our responsibility. We have to do everything possible from a front office side, from a coaching side, from player development, to help him be the best player he can be.”
After reading the whole article, I felt a lot better, but then I remembered that this is the Minnesota Timberwolves so I'm hoping someone with a better basketball brain that I have can gimme a take.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Thibs had some trouble getting guys in MN to play D.....

Though Lou to be the front man & player's coach and let Thibs design the schemes is a really good combo.

Edit: Also, Thibs put together a really effective offense in MN despite not having particularly good shooters, which is something that might be valuable in LA. It wasn't pretty but it was efficient.

Are we sure his defensive schemes are actually good? It's hard to separate that from personnel but I think it could also be a case of his defense being so influential that teams have figured out ways to successfully counter it.

Regardless i think it's pretty unlikely that any coach is going to get LeBron to try all that hard on defense in the regular season (which to be clear I think is probably a reasonable approach for him given his career minutes). Lue couldn't do it in Cleveland so I don't know why he'd suddenly be able to now.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 8, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

scuz posted:

Lengthier look at Rosas and his plans for the Wolves, featuring a paragraph on our favorite max-contract bust:
After reading the whole article, I felt a lot better, but then I remembered that this is the Minnesota Timberwolves so I'm hoping someone with a better basketball brain that I have can gimme a take.

I mean, it's right. Even if they cleared Wiggins completely off the books it doesn't get them anything in terms of cap room. Wiggins has ridiculous athleticism and tools. They can either try to turn it into something or not but it's not like they can go sign another max FA if they didn't have Wiggins this year. In a year or two a salary dump may make more sense when a Mini-Max won't look as big and he won't have as many years on the contract.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Maximize Wiggins' value by playing him dramatically fewer minutes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

The story about Andray Blatche having to be forced to lift weights is fantastic. I feel like there'd be so many fewer "what-ifs" if we got this kind of truth telling regularly

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1126243683408515073

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1126246852800724997?s=19

Lmfao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Maybe if he was an assistant coach he'd learn something other than Byron Scott's Exact Basketball System.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Talk Radio Lakers fans deserve this for UCLA Posting about all of Walton's coaching staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So is this gonna end with Jason Kidd just getting the head coaching job?