Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kofi and the team behind his reign have all been very uninteresting. he should have won the championship belt and then relinquished it and retired, and wwe should have closed down. i may be having a chat in a thread that isn't about that sort of thing, but i am still posting in the correct thread! :cheeky::cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder what reasons will be given if the ratings still continue to tank once the belt is on Roman.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder what reasons will be given if the ratings still continue to tank once the belt is on Roman.

the damage was done, obviously, the lack of roman lost everyone's interest and you just... can't get it back, not even with roman

should have had the belt on roman, forever

and he should have been louder, angrier, and had access to a time machine

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I've never understood the idea of watching a show based on who the champion is - it's a three-hour show on which the champ might feature for like, at most, a half hour. Or not at all, in cases like Lesnar. There's so much more going on, why is that a dealbreaker?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mactheknife posted:

I've never understood the idea of watching a show based on who the champion is - it's a three-hour show on which the champ might feature for like, at most, a half hour. Or not at all, in cases like Lesnar. There's so much more going on, why is that a dealbreaker?

The champion is ostensibly the biggest star, and people watch TV and sport based on who the biggest star is. For more hardcore wrestling fans it might just be they want to give more support when someone they like is champion, since large parts of wrestling fandom for some reason actually believe that the company listens to the fans outside a few isolated scraps thrown their way occasionally.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

mactheknife posted:

When done right things will involve that champion throughout the 3 hrs. in the good old days wrestlers were friends who helped each other or enemies who hindered each other even when they weren't directly involved with each other.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mactheknife posted:

Because the business model is still stuck in the idea that the product is a card and not a show

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

njsykora posted:

The champion is ostensibly the biggest star, and people watch TV and sport based on who the biggest star is. For more hardcore wrestling fans it might just be they want to give more support when someone they like is champion, since large parts of wrestling fandom for some reason actually believe that the company listens to the fans outside a few isolated scraps thrown their way occasionally.

I don't know anyone who watches sports because of the biggest star. I watch sports because I like the competition and I guess also because I want to see my team win. Everyone I know watches for pretty much the same reason.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't know anyone who watches sports because of the biggest star. I watch sports because I like the competition and I guess also because I want to see my team win. Everyone I know watches for pretty much the same reason.

Wrestling isn't sports though, its performance

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

You don't know anyone who watched a Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, or Floyd Mayweather fight, but not the latest UFC or boxing events?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

They already have those people.

They’re trying to get people who don’t already engage with it.

Stars do that.

Pretty simple.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

You don't know anyone who watched a Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, or Floyd Mayweather fight, but not the latest UFC or boxing events?

Or people who stopped watching Nascar because Dale Jr retired.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My dad stopped watching the NBA when Michael Jordan retired (second time)

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

My dad stopped watching the NBA when Michael Jordan retired (second time)

My stepdad stopped watching football when Peyton Manning retired, so I kind of get it. I've just never thought of wrestling in the same way.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't know anyone who watches sports because of the biggest star.

Lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You could just, uh, look at all the people that stopped watching wrestling when Stone Cold and The Rock were gone.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

VJeff posted:

You could just, uh, look at all the people that stopped watching wrestling when Stone Cold and The Rock were gone.

Yeah, but I think not watching anymore when a wrestler leaves isn't the same thing as not watching when a guy you don't like/don't care as much about is the champion.

This is kind of a derail, my bad. I've just never understood the mindset of turning it off when a guy you like isn't holding the title.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The champion is supposed to be the protagonist or the main antagonist of the promotion, WWE doesn't book it this way anymore

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I promise you know a lot of "New England Patriots fans" who will stop following the NFL within a calendar year of old man Tom Brady retiring or dying (whichever comes first because both are as likely to happen at this point)

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

https://twitter.com/robohump/status/1124548110154383362

the scare quotes around "reporter" are killing me

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Big Dave posted:

https://twitter.com/robohump/status/1124548110154383362

the scare quotes around "reporter" are killing me

https://twitter.com/robohump/status/1124556672255561728?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In a thread designed to showcase stupid wrestling fan opinions, that legitimately might be the stupidest :stare:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

Jerusalem posted:

In a thread designed to showcase stupid wrestling fan opinions, that legitimately might be the stupidest :stare:

That's beyond stupid and straight into insane "defend WWE and their business practices at any cost" territory.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Well this is about to get put to the test, since Roman's on Raw monday.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm as sick of talking about Montreal as anyone else but the hits just keep coming

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1125145265080373248

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's about on par with Velveteen Dream trying to pull some 'we're entertainers so not getting healthcare or employee benefits is fine' crap without realising that if wrestlers were actually considered actors or stunt performers, they'd get treated a hell of a lot better because they'd be SAG-AFTRA members.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Doesn't the Rock have a clause in his movie contracts saying that he gets to bring in his own guys to do script rewrites?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’ve never heard that about the Rock, but Will Smith that so it’s certainly not unheard of.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Edward Norton is notorious for strong-arming his way into script rewrites and the editing room and basically acting as his own director on set, which is part of why he got booted from Marvel after just one movie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave Meltzer got some kind of monkey paw deal where he will live as long as people ask stupid questions about Montreal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vandar posted:

Doesn't the Rock have a clause in his movie contracts saying that he gets to bring in his own guys to do script rewrites?

Bruce WIllis definitely did this on Die Hard IV

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Dave Meltzer got some kind of monkey paw deal where he will live as long as people ask stupid questions about Montreal.

Between that and the rage from his star ratings on Tokyo Dome matches Dave should be able to live forever

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bruce WIllis definitely did this on Die Hard IV

Kevin Smith told a story about it that was pretty wild.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

Kevin Smith told a story about it that was pretty wild.

Yes indeed, that was my source

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4Z1h7PG5s

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/madolenlenoir/status/1125052321707319296

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

That take is just as dumb as the spelling of "Madolen"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/fxkdreaming/status/1125642338276126721?s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PosBEPAVH_M&t=44s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Yes, the SJW Agenda will ruin AEW, just like they did Star Wars and Captain Marvel, each of which made a LITERAL billion dollars.