Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

soggybagel posted:

I like van gundy. Am I the only one???
I like Stan but that’s it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
as a rockets fan i'm contractually obligated to like jeff van gundy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

I like van gundy. Am I the only one???

He'd be fine if he hadn't decided to be Basketball Andy Rooney

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/joereedy/status/1125382332813156352?s=21

also

chunkles posted:

as a knicks fan i'm contractually obligated to like jeff van gundy.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What kind of odds can you get on "does the xfl finish its season"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

What kind of odds can you get on "does the xfl finish its season"

probably worse, since Vince is self funding the thing with capital raised from selling his wwe stock, instead of AAF's primary investor being a sketchy dude who is now has been indicted by the feds for financial crimes tied to bitcoin

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Can't see any reason to be skeptical of a league getting literally zero dollars for its television rights.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Derby did massive overnight numbers

NBC posted:

Country House’s victory in the “Run for the Roses” delivered a 10.9/25 overnight rating – matching 1992 as the best overnight for a Kentucky Derby since 1990. In addition, the 10.9/25 for the Kentucky Derby (6:30-7:30pm ET race portion) is up 20% from last year’s race (9.1/21) featuring eventual Triple Crown winner Justify, and marks television’s best Saturday overnight since the NFL Divisional Playoffs (Jan. 12, 2019).

The overnight rating peaked at an 11.9/27 from 6:45-7 p.m. ET, as Country House and Maximum Security crossed the finish line. Louisville, the home of the Kentucky Derby, topped the metered markets with a 39.5 rating/69 share (top 20 markets below).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

Can't see any reason to be skeptical of a league getting literally zero dollars for its television rights.

XFL is getting production costs, the networks get live first run programming for their Saturday schedule and whatever the gently caress they might be replacing on Sunday

Want to see how the advertising split works out tbh.

also weirdly in retrospect it's how Vince got his start in turning WWF into a monstrosity

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I mean what the hell does Fox or ABC even show on Saturdays in the spring.

NBA and NASCAR are Sundays

CBS has college basketball and golf

NBC has NHL and golf

Baseball when it starts is mostly Sundays

Theres no college football

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I mean what the hell does Fox or ABC even show on Saturdays in the spring.

NBA and NASCAR are Sundays

CBS has college basketball and golf

NBC has NHL and golf

Baseball when it starts is mostly Sundays

Theres no college football

ABC shows NBA on Saturday nights, it could be a lead-in.

ABC currently shows second-run ESPN programming, like old 30 for 30s.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

XFL is getting production costs, the networks get live first run programming for their Saturday schedule and whatever the gently caress they might be replacing on Sunday

Want to see how the advertising split works out tbh.

also weirdly in retrospect it's how Vince got his start in turning WWF into a monstrosity

They get in stadium advertising and the networks get all the TV advertising.

The production cost thing is nice but there are a lot of other costs associated with running a professional sports league and it's hard to see where they're going to get enough revenue for it when they're getting absolutely nothing out of the primary way leagues make money in 2019

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 6, 2019

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RonDarlingJr/status/1125460343956885504

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

They get in stadium advertising and the networks get all the TV advertising.

The production cost thing is nice but there are a lot of other costs associated with running a professional sports league than that and it's hard to see where they're going to get enough revenue for it when they're getting absolutely nothing out of the primary way leagues make money in 2019

I'm pretty sure the plan is for Vince to eat the upfront costs for a couple of years and then start clawing his way up in rights fees if it takes off

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I'm pretty sure the plan is for Vince to eat the upfront costs for a couple of years and then start clawing his way up in rights fees if it takes off

This is a really terrible idea!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

This is a really terrible idea!

its Vince

Hes got a poo poo ton of money and not much to do with it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

its Vince

especially not paying his employees exclusively contracted workers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

All the other spring/non-NFL football leagues did great so there's no reason to believe this one won't also have long-term success.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah there aren't a lot of people that can eat a shitload of costs for things like these, but Vince is likely one of them.

Doesn't change that the XFL is still ultimately doomed as hell, but there you are

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vince has never had a non-WWE entity that didn't bleed money immediately until it died, so I doubt this will succeed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Important Stephen A. update
https://twitter.com/no_cut_card/status/1125460134967357446?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

its Vince

Oh well then I guess blowing millions of dollars because black people kneeling during the anthem made you mad is actually a good idea.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

Oh well then I guess blowing millions of dollars because black people kneeling during the anthem made you mad is actually a good idea.

he took money from Saudi Aravia after Kashoggi was killed and a lot of his top stars refused to work in that country, even excluding the guy who decided it was time to get chemo for his leukemia

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

he took money from Saudi Aravia after Kashoggi was killed and a lot of his top stars refused to work in that country, even excluding the guy who decided it was time to get chemo for his leukemia

I believe Daniel Bryan is the only person we know who might have actually refused to go. Cena only did so on the second show when there was a movie studio involved and he was already more an actor than a wrestler, and the Reigns thing seemed to be pretty transparent and slimy PR bullshit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

I mean, does it track for a guy who has teams of writers but routinely changes the weekly shows the day-of, or even during the show? the best thing for WWE is if this fails and Vince eats poo poo hard and is forced to change, because otherwise they're bouncing on mediocrity to huge profits.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can I clarify something?

I want this to succeed because of a few reasons.

1.) Saturdays from about NFL Divisional Playoffs on until you can "Go outside" (right around the draft oddly enough) are rather dull.

This is not to slam on the product of the NBA, NCAA Hoops or NHL. But in order to really be invested? You have to be either a super fan of those leagues or you have to have a team relevant to follow.

PLAYOFFS? Different story. But man...I just rarely get anything out of "NBA SATURDAY NIGHT BASKETBALL" without a dog in the fight.

I loved the Saturday AAF games because it allowed me to have something to follow to nurse my lack of Saturday College Football/NFL.

2.) I think a 2nd league is warranted considering the current size of most NFL rosters.

Insane example? David Blough of the Purdue Boilermakers is on the Cleveland Browns roster as a UDFA. There is absolutely no way I see him making it beyond camp which is incredibly sad. I would love to see that

Same with seeing a guy like Trent Richardson or some other type who failed to make it in the NFL trying to make a comeback effort.

I feel awful even typing this because I really have no interest in the politics of it. This isn't a 'both sides" thing, one has the right to protest, etc.

I do hope it succeeds and it's purely due to some selfish interest of being entertained.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I can't relate with not being able to get invested in basketball or hockey while being able to for 3rd tier football, but I wish you luck

For the record I expect Vince to get bored of this after 6 months, and losing 87 million dollars

Jackie D fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 7, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can I clarify something?

1.) Saturdays from about NFL Divisional Playoffs on until you can "Go outside" (right around the draft oddly enough) are rather dull.

This is not to slam on the product of the NBA, NCAA Hoops or NHL. But in order to really be invested? You have to be either a super fan of those leagues or you have to have a team relevant to follow.

PLAYOFFS? Different story. But man...I just rarely get anything out of "NBA SATURDAY NIGHT BASKETBALL" without a dog in the fight.

I loved the Saturday AAF games because it allowed me to have something to follow to nurse my lack of Saturday College Football/NFL.

Interesting use of the second person.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I watched like 10 minutes of the AFL before I realized "There's better sports happening."

I'll never really relate to the kind of fan who lives by the NFL schedule year round. But I hope they enjoy the latest failed football league from racist, evil pieces of poo poo while it lasts.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can I clarify something?

2.) I think a 2nd league is warranted considering the current size of most NFL rosters.

Insane example? David Blough of the Purdue Boilermakers is on the Cleveland Browns roster as a UDFA. There is absolutely no way I see him making it beyond camp which is incredibly sad. I would love to see that

Same with seeing a guy like Trent Richardson or some other type who failed to make it in the NFL trying to make a comeback effort.

I feel awful even typing this because I really have no interest in the politics of it. This isn't a 'both sides" thing, one has the right to protest, etc.

I do hope it succeeds and it's purely due to some selfish interest of being entertained.

Considering the only option for guys who aren't quite good enough for the NFL is the CFL, I hear you on the roster aspect. But Vince McMahon must fail.

It'd be nice if the NFL had a proper minor league.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 7, 2019

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can I clarify something?

If you live out west just set aside your late Friday nights for Aussie Rules Football.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

If you live out west just set aside your late Friday nights for Aussie Rules Football.

Helllllll yeah AFL is good poo poo.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I watched like 10 minutes of the AFL before I realized "There's better sports happening."

I'll never really relate to the kind of fan who lives by the NFL schedule year round. But I hope they enjoy the latest failed football league from racist, evil pieces of poo poo while it lasts.

I’ve been standing by the spicy take of “I don’t care about the NFL offseason while basketball, baseball, hockey, and plenty of other things have ACTUAL games” for a good long time and it goes double now that I don’t care much for the NFL regular season itself.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

Helllllll yeah AFL is good poo poo.
Seriously the slogan should be

THE AFL: IT loving RULES

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its fine if you really do find 3rd tier football games more compelling stuff to occupy your time til the NFL Draft than regular season NBA, MLB, or NHL games, March Madness, and whatever else you can find then you're probably just a "football fan" first and less a "sports fan."

Which is totally fine. I've been known to watch some 3rd tier basketball and baseball. But its not the same as saying "we need something to fill the sports gap in the calendar."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Considering the only option for guys who aren't quite good enough for the NFL is the CFL, I hear you on the roster aspect. But Vince McMahon must fail.

XFL is going to run into the same roster problems that the AAF largely had, which is that there are way more good defensive players available than there are decent offensive linemen and quarterbacks. CFL can combat this by skewing the rules heavily toward offense but XFL is going the exact opposite direction because Vince is an idiot old meathead who doesn't actually watch or know anything about football.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I say just let the major colleges run their own pro teams in the spring featuring alumni and some others.

Don't tell me diehards wouldn't show up for that poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They should let them run their own pro teams by paying the players they already have

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I say just let the major colleges run their own pro teams in the spring featuring alumni and some others.

Don't tell me diehards wouldn't show up for that poo poo.

MourningView posted:

They should let them run their own pro teams by paying the players they already have

:hai:

Also the NFL should pay for its loving minor league, and MLB should be paying its players much more for MiLB.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I love football, but I don't need round the year football. I love sports, but I like having an off season where my nights and weekends aren't in front of the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It'd be nice if the NFL had a proper minor league.

A real minor league implies at least a subset of players would go through it first, and I think in general we need to reduce how much football pros play for their health and general longevity.

Crazy Ted posted:

This man knows.

Sash! posted:

I love football, but I don't need round the year football. I love sports, but I like having an off season where my nights and weekends aren't in front of the TV.

Yeah, I think at some point the off-season is pretty important to the sport.