Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Oh, bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Has Xi Jinping been reached for comment yet?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Heads up, if you see Louis CK's act now, he's added a copyright notice to his material.

https://twitter.com/jamesdshotwell/status/1124766832546787328

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Heads up, if you see Louis CK's act now, he's added a copyright notice to his material.

Oh now Louis CK wants consent.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

You can verify if a phone call was made to the police, that should be public record. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying the reporter should have maybe made at least one phone call to check.

The guy who pulled his gun was an off dirty cop she was on a date with

Edit I’m leaving that typo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lol loving awesome that Louis CK is putting all these stipulations on his shows because he knows if he actually announced them beforehand people would throw poo poo at him and all these clubs are just gonna let him get away with it instead of finding someone new and funnier.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I actually think I get it.

CK's basically a dead comedian. Nobody's going to willingly come to his shows, and nobody's going to record them, so there's basically no reason why any aspiring stand-up wouldn't try to steal his material.

Hell, it's even fairly easily defensible for one to do so, because the only necessary response without the threat of legal action would be "why don't you just whip your cock out about it, Louie?"

He's revving up the lawyers because he knows that's basically the only way he's even going to slightly avoid this issue, and avoid people using it as an active opportunity to dunk him in the trash.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also that “copyright notice” is basically unenforceable. I don’t think recording it would even meet the standard for violating copyright.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

CK's basically a dead comedian. Nobody's going to willingly come to his shows, and nobody's going to record them, so there's basically no reason why any aspiring stand-up wouldn't try to steal his material.

Hell, it's even fairly easily defensible for one to do so, because the only necessary response without the threat of legal action would be "why don't you just whip your cock out about it, Louie?"

He's revving up the lawyers because he knows that's basically the only way he's even going to slightly avoid this issue, and avoid people using it as an active opportunity to dunk him in the trash.

i don't think it's to keep people from stealing his poo poo, i think its to prevent what happened the last few times when it turned out that his material was offensive garbage and everyone saw that it was offensive garbage. can't post it online to fuel a media cycle if you can't record it or talk about it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's more straightforward than that.

During his original 'comeback tour' someone recorded him saying abhorrent poo poo and posted it and it torpedoed his attempt to repair his reputation. So he's being sulky about it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

ImpAtom posted:

It's more straightforward than that.

During his original 'comeback tour' someone recorded him saying abhorrent poo poo and posted it and it torpedoed his attempt to repair his reputation. So he's being sulky about it.

There was also that lady who heckled him by demanding he show everyone his dick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vagabundo posted:

There was also that lady who heckled him by demanding he show everyone his dick.

She's still my loving hero.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

His Dick Materials

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bring 2 phones.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Someone should just bring a decoy phone so they can record it anyway and then the internet can mock him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean among other things what this says to me is "make an anonymous Twitter named CKPosts and post it anyway" but hey.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Skwirl posted:

He says that's the reason she's accusing him of these things.

Again, I don't want to say she's lying, but it would have been helpful if the reporters at least attempted to verify anything. She apparently called the cops and at one point a deputy had to pull out his gun, there should be some sort of paper trail.

I always, always look at allegations from exes with a “could be true, could also not be true” grain of salt unless multiple exes come out alleging the same things or there’s more evidence.

Same thing with that endless loving Johnny Depp-Amber Heard drama where both of them at this point are claiming that they have slam-dunk proof that the other was abusive. All I know is that there’s an ex husband and wife who loving hate each other’s guts and are doing whatever they can to ruin the other in the media, and online discussion mostly consists of the fans of each defending one and attacking the other one. I have no idea which one is lying and I’m finding it harder and harder to care.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sucrose posted:

I always, always look at allegations from exes with a “could be true, could also not be true” grain of salt unless multiple exes come out alleging the same things or there’s more evidence.

Same thing with that endless loving Johnny Depp-Amber Heard drama where both of them at this point are claiming that they have slam-dunk proof that the other was abusive. All I know is that there’s an ex husband and wife who loving hate each other’s guts and are doing whatever they can to ruin the other in the media, and online discussion mostly consists of the fans of each defending one and attacking the other one. I have no idea which one is lying and I’m finding it harder and harder to care.

One is an insane alcoholic / drug addict who is broke due to buying hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of wine every year and who spent a few million bucks to shoot Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon. The other is Amber Heard.

Do your own math.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Max Landis' ex

https://twitter.com/Ani_Easton/status/1125941648200835072

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SHOCKED that Max Landis is a tool

(I still like American Ultra, but that's probably mainly because of Jesse Eisenberg)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

By the wording of that post it certainly sounds like there’s a lot more bad poo poo that still hasn’t been exposed.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/1126594673491865600

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I wonder if Kate Capshaw, who now seems involved with feminism on at least some level, feels any degree of regret or remorse that she may have perpetuated certain stereotypes about attractive blonde women in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I was always disappointed by that, particularly since Karen Black was so fantastic and wonderful in Raiders, drinking guys under the table and being pretty drat badass.

I actually cannot remember if it was Raiders or Temple of Doom that led to the creation of the PG-13 rating - I wanna say it was Temple, because I think the guy ripping still-beating hurts from mens chests and burning them alive in a sadistic blood sacrifice while naked men in loincloths shout otherworldly chants... I know it's nowhere near as gruesome or offensive as, say, showing a breast or, god forbid, pubic hair, But kids ought to be able to enjoy ritualistic human sacrifice and blood drinking, along with children being beaten and forced into slavery and labor. Again, not as likely to traumatize your kid as someone without pants on or a man saying the world "gently caress", but you never know...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kaworu posted:

I wonder if Kate Capshaw, who now seems involved with feminism on at least some level, feels any degree of regret or remorse that she may have perpetuated certain stereotypes about attractive blonde women in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I was always disappointed by that, particularly since Karen Black was so fantastic and wonderful in Raiders, drinking guys under the table and being pretty drat badass.

I actually cannot remember if it was Raiders or Temple of Doom that led to the creation of the PG-13 rating - I wanna say it was Temple, because I think the guy ripping still-beating hurts from mens chests and burning them alive in a sadistic blood sacrifice while naked men in loincloths shout otherworldly chants... I know it's nowhere near as gruesome or offensive as, say, showing a breast or, god forbid, pubic hair, But kids ought to be able to enjoy ritualistic human sacrifice and blood drinking, along with children being beaten and forced into slavery and labor. Again, not as likely to traumatize your kid as someone without pants on or a man saying the world "gently caress", but you never know...

Yeah, Temple of Doom is what led to the creation of the PG-13 rating, and the first movie to actually be PG-13 was Red Dawn.

Wolverines!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's Karen Allen fwiw

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Willie wasn't a very good character in Temple of Doom, but I loved Kate Capshaw in that movie ngl.

Anyway everything in Temple of Doom was worth it for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1H9eKWPGRo

e: honestly what i'm tryna say is temple of doom owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kaworu posted:

It was Temple, but Raiders is honestly even gorier so I'm kind of surprised.

Like, Temple got its PG straight, without edits required; Raiders had to be edited slightly to avoid an R in the ark scene (the head explosion looks odd because of this).

e: also, the 80s MPAA very, very notably did not have the views you're sarcastically attributing to them, that's mostly since the fundie takeover of America. 80s PG movies had cursing and boobs all the time; the Transformers cartoon movie had a "poo poo" in it and Bill and Ted called each other fags, and on the boob front you've got Sixteen Candles, the Airplanes, Splash, Sheena...

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 10, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard it was a combination of Temple of Doom and Gremlins.

Man, I must have watched Temple of Doom a hundred times as a kid. Thinking about it, I never did feel terrified or anything about the movie's graphic scenes. What a great trilogy. :allears:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

kaworu posted:

She actually mentions this in her commentary track for Temple of Doom that she didn’t feel like she was much more than a screaming blonde in the film which is totally different from her real life self.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Temple of Doom was the shite Indy movie before Crystal Skull blew it the gently caress out of the water.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Temple is high camp. It's def the worst of the original three, but I probably watched it the most as a kid.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The scene with the bugs still makes me queasy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have learned to appreciate Temple of Doom

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Temple of Doom was the shite Indy movie before Crystal Skull blew it the gently caress out of the water.

Temple is one of those cases where "worst of the series" doesn't actually translate to "bad movie." Like, Temple is the least good of the first three Indy movies but it's still a really loving fun movie with a lot to redeem it.

I would say even Crystal Skull fits that, it's just worse than Temple. Like, Temple is still good, whereas CS is just kind of... there? Like it's very Generic Blockbuster when none of the other ones are.

e: Like I don't have anywhere near the vitriol for CS that a lot of people do, but I'm also not gonna bother rewatching it anytime soon

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard it was a combination of Temple of Doom and Gremlins.

Man, I must have watched Temple of Doom a hundred times as a kid. Thinking about it, I never did feel terrified or anything about the movie's graphic scenes. What a great trilogy. :allears:

I’ve always wondered if there was a psychological effect from the mpaa rating. Like a g rating decapitation somehow doesn’t feel so bad as an R

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CS is fine. Cate Blanchett owns and needed more to do.

Def the only Indy movie I'd say falls under 'bad', but I enjoyed it fine enough. It's just super cartoony.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CS is bad because it gives Nazis false equivalency by saying commies are just as bad

Also Kate’s hammy accent was a bit much

I wasn’t about the fridge that much honestly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Beef is generally what ruins CS.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Beef is good in it, but the monkey scene negates that entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know YouTube is more Hollywood minor leagues. Especially when it comes to minors

This gamer dude projared cheated on his wife but the buried lede was that he was a major predator soliciting from underage fans

https://twitter.com/threadreaderapp/status/1126554649941684224?s=21