Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

runchild posted:

After trying on some more headphones the most comfortable headset I've worn so far has been the 2019 Razer Kraken (why doesn't anyone else use cooling gel earcups?). The only mention of them* I could find in the last 8 months of this thread is someone saying they're garbage and then failing to elaborate when asked for clarification. Could anyone speak to what might make someone consider them garbage?

*Actually the previous model (Kraken Pro V2) which doesn't have the cooling gel

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/razer/kraken-pro-v2

lots of reasons. strongly suggest looking at a sennheiser game one

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/sennheiser-game-one-vs-razer-kraken-pro-v2/500/499?usage=5003&threshold=0.1

or steelseries arctis pro

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/steelseries-arctis-pro-gamedac-vs-razer-kraken-pro-v2/616/499?usage=5003&threshold=0.1

or even a logitech g533

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/logitech-g533-vs-razer-kraken-pro-v2/505/499?usage=5003&threshold=0.1

or..... almost any other gaming headset tbh. razer does not make good heaphones.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/gaming-headsets-pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

-Game One is above my price range but I am considering the $90 "renewed" one on Amazon. I'm wary about both ordering one I can't try on first and it being a refurb w/ only 90 day warranty.

-Arctis Pro is hilariously overbudget. The Arctis 3 was not very comfortable, and all of the Arctis units seem to share the same design.

-I will add the G533 to my consideration but I thought the G633 was distinctly uncomfortable.

-The Razer Nari Ultimates are in the honorable mentions section of that list, and when I tried them the one thing that seemed different to me was the haptic feedback, and it was kind of annnoying. I honestly didn't notice a particular different sound in any of the headphones I was able to try out. It is entirely possible I have minor hearing issues.

I will take the Krakens out of consideration, but comfort-wise they are still what everything is going to be judged against. Hopefully the person with the cheap set of GSP 300s on craigslist gets back to me.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
So yeah, Kanas Pro Edition is really good. A good reminder that I should buy 1 pair of $150 IEMS instead of many cheap IEMs.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The coolermaster MH-751 is actually pretty decent. I would put it on the level with the M40x. The 752 includes a little dac/mixamp thing that is apparently not bad either, though I haven't played with it.

You're still gonna get way more bang for your buck by just using a modmic or desktop mic with a real set of headphones though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

So yeah, Kanas Pro Edition is really good. A good reminder that I should buy 1 pair of $150 IEMS instead of many cheap IEMs.

It's a drat good IEM. Mine arn't going anywhere. And i own retarded multi BA sets.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
Any help is appreciated!

Budget - $250 - $300
Source - PC/Samsung Galaxy S9
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - Wired Closed Headphones, might be willing to try bluetooth if it has a mic and doesn't kill overall sound quality too much.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Preferred Music - Indie rock/Classical/Ambient/Folk

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a Radstone ES100 (earstudio 100) bluetooth amp. The thing totally rocks, has better sound quality (by far)than my LG Quad omg dac whatever. 12 hours roughly battery life. Android app. DSP that is good and useful and balanced output. $100 bux is totally worth it imo.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I just got a Radstone ES100 (earstudio 100) bluetooth amp. The thing totally rocks, has better sound quality (by far)than my LG Quad omg dac whatever. 12 hours roughly battery life. Android app. DSP that is good and useful and balanced output. $100 bux is totally worth it imo.

Agreed. It's excellent.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Yeah, I've had one for a while now and like it. It doesn't handle high impedance stuff all that well but runs my 99 Neo's without any issues at all.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I've had one for a while now and like it. It doesn't handle high impedance stuff all that well but runs my 99 Neo's without any issues at all.

Thats surprising what with the 2x voltage mode. Can output like 6w. High impedance doesn't mean tons of power fyi. Not harder to drive but require the amp to be designed for it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Thats surprising what with the 2x voltage mode. Can output like 6w. High impedance doesn't mean tons of power fyi. Not harder to drive but require the amp to be designed for it.

My dt1990's get juuuussst loud enough with it maxed out on the 2x mode.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK noted. I don't have any crazy over the heads but its good information.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Hifiman Sundara, lowest price I've seen on them yet, this is a stupidly good buy and will get you 95% of the highend experience if not moreso compared to kilobuck headphones.

stupidly good buy @ $300!

e: Anada's @ $799 too?!?. if you haven't pulled the trigger on any of these newer cans, now would be a great time to do so. stupid good prices.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 29, 2019

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Not sure if this is outside the scope of the thread. But what should I be looking at to share a single set of headphones/headset with multiple inputs, concurrently? Ideally 4 inputs for my current setup.

I have headphones/a headset on all day listening to music/podcasts/TV, and I take calls on a landline phone, cell and occasionally pc based voip.
Initially I'd use the mic on the headset. But eventually I'd like to just wear proper headphones and add a desk mic/modmic.

The 4 'source' devices have 3.5mm jacks, besides the landline which is 2.5mm. They all have bluetooth, but bluetooth is typically 2 devices max.
Closest I've found is some logitech headset that is bluetooth (2 devices) plus a usb dongle for a third, but I'm not that bothered about wireless.

I've just started looking at stereo mixers, but it's not something I know anything about. And so far it looks like, if I want to share the mic also I'll end up with something large with a pro scale cost.

Edit: When I say concurrently, I really mean just connected at the same time, I dont need or want to mix sounds. So more of an input(+ mic output) selector than a mixer?

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 29, 2019

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I'll preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm doing - my previous headphones have always been cheapo ones that came with my devices, or ones that I can buy in five packs at discount. I'm looking to upgrade a little bit.

Budget - $150 or less.
Source - Iphone 7, PC
Isolation Requirements - I mostly wear headphones while doing household chores (dishes is a big one) and I have kids so I am pretty much avoiding isolation here. Most of the time I tend to wear only one headphone in at a time so I can hear if a kid wakes up and starts crying or people start talking to me.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I like the look of Airpods but I imagine you're paying a premium for the brand name and I don't need that. What I like about them is the lack of cords so that I could wear one at a time without the cords dragging around and pulling it out of my ear, but I could use both when I want to actually listen to music. I don't have any real world experience though so maybe these fall out all the time? Are there completely wireless Bluetooth headphones with over the ear hooks?
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not enough of an expert to say.
Past Headphones - Junk.
Preferred Music - I listen to mostly sad folky stuff like Sufjan Stevens. These would get used for that sometimes but more likely for podcasts or netflix or youtube.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Can someone recommend me some decent IEM foam tips? I've been leaning towards Comply tips, but lotsa people have been complaining about them not lasting very long for the asking price. I'm gonna use on my Jabra 65t Active. I looked into Jabra's own foam tips for a similar model but the sales rep kept saying they wouldn't fit.
Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Passburger posted:

Can someone recommend me some decent IEM foam tips? I've been leaning towards Comply tips, but lotsa people have been complaining about them not lasting very long for the asking price. I'm gonna use on my Jabra 65t Active. I looked into Jabra's own foam tips for a similar model but the sales rep kept saying they wouldn't fit.

Comply tips are fine. I've been using them for years without a problem. Silicone just won't stay in my ear.

They tear about every 6 months or so, but any foam tip will.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind! I was just thinking there might be cheaper worth mention alternatives since I can expect it to tear apart every 6 months or so.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Passburger posted:

I'll preface this by saying I've never used high quality foam tips but these cheap aliexpress tips work well for me. They far outlasted my stock Tin T2 foam tips, they don't irritate my ears, and they're slightly sticky so they stay in really well. I've tried the black and grey ones and the grey ones seem to last longer.

Edit: disclaimer - I don't know what size your IEMs are or if there are size/space issues with the charging case.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 29, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Passburger posted:

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind! I was just thinking there might be cheaper worth mention alternatives since I can expect it to tear apart every 6 months or so.

These New Bee tips get decent reviews, and they are significantly cheaper, but I don't have any first hand knowledge.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Grifter posted:

I'll preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm doing - my previous headphones have always been cheapo ones that came with my devices, or ones that I can buy in five packs at discount. I'm looking to upgrade a little bit.

Budget - $150 or less.
Source - Iphone 7, PC
Isolation Requirements - I mostly wear headphones while doing household chores (dishes is a big one) and I have kids so I am pretty much avoiding isolation here. Most of the time I tend to wear only one headphone in at a time so I can hear if a kid wakes up and starts crying or people start talking to me.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I like the look of Airpods but I imagine you're paying a premium for the brand name and I don't need that. What I like about them is the lack of cords so that I could wear one at a time without the cords dragging around and pulling it out of my ear, but I could use both when I want to actually listen to music. I don't have any real world experience though so maybe these fall out all the time? Are there completely wireless Bluetooth headphones with over the ear hooks?
Past Headphones - Junk.
Preferred Music - I listen to mostly sad folky stuff like Sufjan Stevens. These would get used for that sometimes but more likely for podcasts or netflix or youtube.

you can get wingtips for airpods if you feel you need to adjust for comfort. tbh for your use case airpods and requirements airpods are the best bet. all other bt pods focus on creating isolation which is bad for your needs.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Thank you both for your suggestions!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grifter posted:

Budget - $150 or less.
Source - Iphone 7, PC
Past Headphones - Junk.

I've used my airpods daily for a couple of months and they have never fallen out once. I'm also moving around a lot whenever I use them. I'd probably have to knock them into something to get them to fall out. I'm sure some people have different shaped ears but they seem really well designed to stay in. They also have pretty good range so I just keep my phone somewhere safe while I'm using them. They are really good.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

5-HT posted:

you can get wingtips for airpods if you feel you need to adjust for comfort. tbh for your use case airpods and requirements airpods are the best bet. all other bt pods focus on creating isolation which is bad for your needs.

veni veni veni posted:

I've used my airpods daily for a couple of months and they have never fallen out once. I'm also moving around a lot whenever I use them. I'd probably have to knock them into something to get them to fall out. I'm sure some people have different shaped ears but they seem really well designed to stay in. They also have pretty good range so I just keep my phone somewhere safe while I'm using them. They are really good.
Thanks for the advice. Looks like Costco sells them so I'm going to go pick up a pair.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Massdrop is releasing these: https://drop.com/buy/drop-nuforce-move-wireless-in-ear-monitors which have a discount preorder for the next month.

I read that they are based on a previous design. Was it any good? Anyone thinking about picking these up?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MeKeV posted:

Not sure if this is outside the scope of the thread. But what should I be looking at to share a single set of headphones/headset with multiple inputs, concurrently? Ideally 4 inputs for my current setup.

I have headphones/a headset on all day listening to music/podcasts/TV, and I take calls on a landline phone, cell and occasionally pc based voip.
Initially I'd use the mic on the headset. But eventually I'd like to just wear proper headphones and add a desk mic/modmic.

The 4 'source' devices have 3.5mm jacks, besides the landline which is 2.5mm. They all have bluetooth, but bluetooth is typically 2 devices max.
Closest I've found is some logitech headset that is bluetooth (2 devices) plus a usb dongle for a third, but I'm not that bothered about wireless.

I've just started looking at stereo mixers, but it's not something I know anything about. And so far it looks like, if I want to share the mic also I'll end up with something large with a pro scale cost.

Edit: When I say concurrently, I really mean just connected at the same time, I dont need or want to mix sounds. So more of an input(+ mic output) selector than a mixer?

Are you using a separate amp? If so, then maybe just an input selector. Otherwise, I'd say get a headphone mixer.
Or maybe something that does both?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you guys recommend a decent cheapish amp to use with HD 650s?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Can you guys recommend a decent cheapish amp to use with HD 650s?

JDS Labs Atom, $99, measures stupid well, and it's very very clean. one of the best values in audio out there.

if you're needing a dac too to pair with it, khadas tone board @ $99 is great, and also has spdif, but you have to make your own case for it. although there are 3d cases available for $20 - $35, and a manufacturer in France w/ premade cases for around the same price point.

regardless that combination will give you a setup w/ a noise floor and specs better than 99% of other gear out there, and that's including units and setups that run hundreds of thousands more.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

MeKeV posted:

w/ that many inputs, there are switcher units available, but anything that includes an attached headphone amp is likely going to be garbage. trouble is what you're needing is progear. now it can be done economically, so I'm going to do my best to break it down.

your best bet is to get an audio interface which will allow you to have total control of all your inputs and outputs. usually scarlett is thrown out a lot, but you have a lot of inputs, 6 in fact. you're going to need one for an additional desk microphone. i'll just get out of the way that you're going to 3.5mm/2.55mm to XLR or 1/4" adapters for most all of these things, save for the mic. don't worry about the $ for adapters, they're stupid cheap (like $3 at a guitar center cheap). tascam is a great company and this unit should cover most all of what you'll need in a single box.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US16x08--tascam-us-16x08-usb-audio-interface

or potentially this m-audio interface, which is smaller, has a nicer interface, and I can attest to the fact that it is super clean

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MTrack8x4M--m-audio-m-track-8x4m-usb-audio-midi-interface

overkill? slightly, but the device right under this one won't be able to cover all of your sources, same is true w/ all of the other audio gear. you need at least 6 inputs w/ all of that gear.

and I'd get a rode podmic for the desk. rode makes great mics, and this is a stupidly cheap price for one of their dedicated mics

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodMic--rode-podmic-dynamic-broadcast-microphone

it's right around $400 bucks.

biggest issue that I'm seeing is that there are mixing boards available, but with that many devices, 5 of them needing to be stereo, there isn't a solution that can cover all of those sources and have separated channels unless you're using an interface like this. most of the mixing boards in this range and below max out at 4 channels of stereo and you have other issues regarding control that would need to be put into play.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 2, 2019

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Currently I've got a pair of P7 B&W I'm pretty happy with.

The only thing they lack is occasionally difficult BT pairing (I work across many different devices), get a bit heavy/uncomfortable over time, and no noise-cancelling.

Would it make sense to go for a newer pair of cans?
I've heard good things about the Sony WH1000XM3 but I'm afraid it would be more of a side-grade than an upgrade overall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

5-HT posted:

JDS Labs Atom, $99, measures stupid well, and it's very very clean. one of the best values in audio out there.

if you're needing a dac too to pair with it, khadas tone board @ $99 is great, and also has spdif, but you have to make your own case for it. although there are 3d cases available for $20 - $35, and a manufacturer in France w/ premade cases for around the same price point.

regardless that combination will give you a setup w/ a noise floor and specs better than 99% of other gear out there, and that's including units and setups that run hundreds of thousands more.

:cool: Thanks I'll check it out.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I use an atom to power my dekoni blues and it does it spendidly

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Kalenden posted:

Currently I've got a pair of P7 B&W I'm pretty happy with.

The only thing they lack is occasionally difficult BT pairing (I work across many different devices), get a bit heavy/uncomfortable over time, and no noise-cancelling.

Would it make sense to go for a newer pair of cans?
I've heard good things about the Sony WH1000XM3 but I'm afraid it would be more of a side-grade than an upgrade overall.

compared to the b&w on the sound quality front, it's an upgrade. but if you're really needing multi-device connectivity Sony's aint it chief, they only can connect to 1 device at a time. your best bet is going to be the Bose QC35II which has great sound quality AND has amazing multi-device connectivity, so it's a real upgrade compared to the P7's you have.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
@ 5-HT & GnarlyCharlie4u, thanks appreciate the response. I think I was underestimating things a little, now I think about it more the mic aspect definitely complicates things more.

I did find a KVM switch that had phone/mic inputs for each. But I think I might just mount some jack extension leads together that I can quickly plug and swap, for now. Before I rethink my set up a bit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A new 'giant killer' emerges: https://www.amazon.com/Intime-SORA-...ay&sr=8-3-spell

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Hi headphone people is there a decent budget alternative to airpods people here would recommend? I can't justify the price for my uses (walking to the grocery store and working out, also just poor in general so don't wanna spend a lot). The extra difficult req is that I listen to a lot of bass heavy rap so I would sacrifice a little clarity for good bass if I had to.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Wowporn posted:

Hi headphone people is there a decent budget alternative to airpods people here would recommend? I can't justify the price for my uses (walking to the grocery store and working out, also just poor in general so don't wanna spend a lot). The extra difficult req is that I listen to a lot of bass heavy rap so I would sacrifice a little clarity for good bass if I had to.

Are you looking for a full wireless headphone then? Also, what is your budget?

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Like I want them to be wirelessly connected to my phone but if one of those sets that have the wire connecting the buds to each other is the best pick for a budget choice I'm fine with that. Under $100 is kinda required but the cheaper the better, more worried about value proposition once below that price I guess.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm looking for recommendations for home theater style wireless headphones where I can have multiple headsets listening to a single transmitter and easily switch headsets from one transmitter to another. At minimum what I'd like is for my girlfriend and I to be able to watch a movie on my projector late at night without disturbing my housemate who goes to bed early, then take those same headsets and go to watch TV in my bedroom.

In my ideal world I could have at least four headsets that could all connect to any of four transmitters around my house (adding my gaming PC and office PC to the lineup) but two and two would be enough to be interesting.

Is something like this even a thing? I have some more specific preferences if this is a category I'm just having trouble searching for, but at the moment I'm just looking to see if there are even options or if this is something I'd have to rig up myself to get close to my ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Wowporn posted:

Like I want them to be wirelessly connected to my phone but if one of those sets that have the wire connecting the buds to each other is the best pick for a budget choice I'm fine with that. Under $100 is kinda required but the cheaper the better, more worried about value proposition once below that price I guess.

sub $100 you actually have some good options surprisingly.

Advanced Evo X
- best imo, great sound, super cheap, sound much better than more expensive iem's, good connectivity
- problem is they're hard to find now, they had a fire sale on amazon on these for $40 a couple of months ago, retail on them is $50 - $60

Trelab X5
- cheap
- great sound quality, though slightly v-shaped, mids are recessed, excellent sound otherwise
- pod style design
- connectivity issues, this plagues most "pod" design styles that aren't apple products, so buds will drop signal on one side or another.

JBL Endurance Sprint
- Flat, clean, good bass extension
- has a spike in the "air frequencies" (re: above 10K) but this may or may not be noticeable depending how well you hear, your age, etc
- cheap ($50)
- decent build quality
- Amazing option if you can't find the Evo X
- only real negative is the "touch control scheme", but it's a little bit whatever because I personally use my cellphone or Apple Watch to control the music

wolrah posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for home theater style wireless headphones where I can have multiple headsets listening to a single transmitter and easily switch headsets from one transmitter to another. At minimum what I'd like is for my girlfriend and I to be able to watch a movie on my projector late at night without disturbing my housemate who goes to bed early, then take those same headsets and go to watch TV in my bedroom.

In my ideal world I could have at least four headsets that could all connect to any of four transmitters around my house (adding my gaming PC and office PC to the lineup) but two and two would be enough to be interesting.

Is something like this even a thing? I have some more specific preferences if this is a category I'm just having trouble searching for, but at the moment I'm just looking to see if there are even options or if this is something I'd have to rig up myself to get close to my ideal.

this is tough. only two headphones come to mind that this might be possible, and they aren't cheap for this use case, Audeze Mobius, and SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless.

Arctis Pro has the lowest latency overall, but Audeze Mobius does have a lot of features that would be useful if they're are multiple use cases. they're both great options regardless.