Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Ive got no idea what you're talking about >< but ill start making the box

I’ll start with the box first as it is the main way of earning points. When you open the GUI on the parabox you have an option to start a loop. When you start the loop it makes a backup of your world. From this point on any changes you make to the world will no longer matter when you end the loop. This is how you can duplicate items because ending the loop resets the world, but not your inventory, to the state it was at when the loop started. Using this start/stop method you can quickly turn 1 item into 1000 with the only downside being that you have to constantly reload your world.

Now like I said the parabox is the main method of gaining points, because while you’re in a loop every 10 minutes it will generate a point as long as you give it enough power. It starts at 10m RF for the first point and goes up by 10m for each point after.

Now on to the geothermal generators, they’re just a cheap and easy way to make power. If you have an auto clicker on top of a cobblestone generator feeding a cauldron to make lava you can pipe the lava into the generator. Now without the stacks of speed upgrades geothermal doesn’t make much power. However if you have 4 or 5 generators each with 256 speed upgrades then you can start to gain a good number of points.

My setup was initially a few generators (each gen gets its own clicker and cobble gen) until I got 4 points for the flux network. Once I had the flux network I duped my way to the max size energy storage tanks it has (128m RF per iirc). With a dozen of these I had over one billion RF held and since the loop resets everything that means each time I went to start the loop even if I broke all my generators I’d still have enough RF to generate points for over an hour. If I really wanted to I could just dupe my flux tanks until my buffer was some absurd number that would take days for the parabox to use up.

And besides the parabox itself, SF4 does not really have anything else that uses massive amounts of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McFrugal posted:

Protip: shoggoth statues have a block at the base that serves as a spawner for the shoggoths, and it eventually runs out. Heavy shoggoth infestations can be dealt with by spawning 5-6, running away to despawn them, then running back to repeat the process.

You can also mine a few of the anti-shoggoth blocks that make up the area, make yourself a little tunnel and just punch the blocks. They break like they're tree branches or something and then it's all done.

Or build yourself little boltholes, lock them in, let them build statues, reach in and grab the statues.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Maguoob posted:

I’ll start with the box first as it is the main way of earning points. When you open the GUI on the parabox you have an option to start a loop. When you start the loop it makes a backup of your world. From this point on any changes you make to the world will no longer matter when you end the loop. This is how you can duplicate items because ending the loop resets the world, but not your inventory, to the state it was at when the loop started. Using this start/stop method you can quickly turn 1 item into 1000 with the only downside being that you have to constantly reload your world.

Now like I said the parabox is the main method of gaining points, because while you’re in a loop every 10 minutes it will generate a point as long as you give it enough power. It starts at 10m RF for the first point and goes up by 10m for each point after.

Now on to the geothermal generators, they’re just a cheap and easy way to make power. If you have an auto clicker on top of a cobblestone generator feeding a cauldron to make lava you can pipe the lava into the generator. Now without the stacks of speed upgrades geothermal doesn’t make much power. However if you have 4 or 5 generators each with 256 speed upgrades then you can start to gain a good number of points.

My setup was initially a few generators (each gen gets its own clicker and cobble gen) until I got 4 points for the flux network. Once I had the flux network I duped my way to the max size energy storage tanks it has (128m RF per iirc). With a dozen of these I had over one billion RF held and since the loop resets everything that means each time I went to start the loop even if I broke all my generators I’d still have enough RF to generate points for over an hour. If I really wanted to I could just dupe my flux tanks until my buffer was some absurd number that would take days for the parabox to use up.

And besides the parabox itself, SF4 does not really have anything else that uses massive amounts of power.

SO what you're saying is i hit active. Then put my me drive and all its disks in my inventory, when i deactivate it , i get my prestige points and ill go back to a world with my me drive in place plus the one in my inventory?, so doubling everything i had?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Abyssalcraft stuff feels like it comes just way too early. The first time I had to do this long trip with my lovely club and boat and such to find the Darklands was cool-ish, but between trying to kill Shadow creatures and then trying to deal with shoggoths, I just felt like I didn't have access to enough tools to really do it well. Making it worse is the fact that, unlike Astral Sorcery and Blood Magic, there's no real benefit to doing Abyssalcraft. Astral Sorcery gives you easy transmutation of a few things, some real good items, and the whole probably OP perk system. Blood Magic gives you a grip of stuff, from the bound equipment to, later on, item transportation (Blood Magic has always been weirdly tech-y for a magic mod). Admittingly I never got deep into Abyssalcraft, but it never felt like there as like...a reward for it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having run into abyssalcraft shoggoths before sevtech was really a thing i'm kind of wondering why anyone would willingly include those awful things in the progression of a pack

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Abyssalcraft stuff feels like it comes just way too early. The first time I had to do this long trip with my lovely club and boat and such to find the Darklands was cool-ish, but between trying to kill Shadow creatures and then trying to deal with shoggoths, I just felt like I didn't have access to enough tools to really do it well. Making it worse is the fact that, unlike Astral Sorcery and Blood Magic, there's no real benefit to doing Abyssalcraft. Astral Sorcery gives you easy transmutation of a few things, some real good items, and the whole probably OP perk system. Blood Magic gives you a grip of stuff, from the bound equipment to, later on, item transportation (Blood Magic has always been weirdly tech-y for a magic mod). Admittingly I never got deep into Abyssalcraft, but it never felt like there as like...a reward for it.

I just got to the point in PO3 where I can start doing the Abyssalcraft stuff, and because I actually have worthwhile gear and the ability to fly, I'm actually excited to see what the mod has to offer. Having it so early in Sevtech made that whole section just drag on. I loved Sevtech, but I absolutely hated Abyssalcraft within it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

bird food bathtub posted:

Still really enjoying SevTech. I was childishly thrilled to watch a metal press punch out the first few ingot because it means I don't have to do them on a stone anvil or cast them one by one anymore.

Wife just rolled her eyes at me.

There’s a reason my current personal modpack is sort of a SevTech-lite.

Cicadalek posted:

holy poo poo the Abyssalcraft part of SevTech is one of the worst experiences I have ever had in modded minecraft

Aaaaaand there’s a reason I made my own instead of playing SevTech.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

SO what you're saying is i hit active. Then put my me drive and all its disks in my inventory, when i deactivate it , i get my prestige points and ill go back to a world with my me drive in place plus the one in my inventory?, so doubling everything i had?

Correct, so it is always a good idea to ask yourself, "Do I want more of anything I currently have?" before stopping the loop. For a lot of items that is a definite yes, for most it is a nope.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ProfessorCirno posted:

Blood Magic gives you a grip of stuff, from the bound equipment to, later on, item transportation (Blood Magic has always been weirdly tech-y for a magic mod).

Man, I was super excited to unlock Blood Magic in my sevtech playthrough, and it was for one reason: the Sigil of the Blood Lamp. Light sources that didn't require you to punch acres of tall grass, can be shot at a distance, and don't rely on a wand that takes forty forevers to recharge? Sign me the gently caress up. See also: Air Sigil, Teleposers, whatever the Lava sigil is, and so on. It almost makes it worth the skids of smooth stone and :emo: you have to engage in to get yourself charged up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Making like 80 blank runes in bloodcraft is the most boring and unenjoyable part of the mod, which is a shame because it's also the part you have to do first, every single time you start it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what really fucks me up about abyssalcraft is that so much work and care was put into making the mod do a whole bunch of cool poo poo

and then actually doing any of that cool poo poo is the worst possible experience

like it's so well done except for any amount of the game design, which is dog poo poo

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Man, I was super excited to unlock Blood Magic in my sevtech playthrough, and it was for one reason: the Sigil of the Blood Lamp. Light sources that didn't require you to punch acres of tall grass, can be shot at a distance, and don't rely on a wand that takes forty forevers to recharge? Sign me the gently caress up. See also: Air Sigil, Teleposers, whatever the Lava sigil is, and so on. It almost makes it worth the skids of smooth stone and :emo: you have to engage in to get yourself charged up.

Yeah, if there's one thing SevTech sometimes absolutely shines at, it's making other mods become amazing. Infinite lights, water, and lava are all things that are kinda ok in most other modpacks, and in SevTech I was beyond myself to get them. The leather climbing gloves becomes semi-game changing when you know jetpacks are a long-rear end ways away if they exist at all. Astral Sorcery's ritual where mobs drop their items becomes insane when making leather is normally such a process.

It's kinda weird; SevTech is ostensibly an expert pack, but is - er, on occasion - really good at putting mods in perspective on where they're good and useful. Like was mentioned earlier on the metal press, when the gating mechanic works, it works really well.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Maguoob posted:

Correct, so it is always a good idea to ask yourself, "Do I want more of anything I currently have?" before stopping the loop. For a lot of items that is a definite yes, for most it is a nope.

ender pearls.

I need more ender pearls.

And iron oddly enough. I miught dupe those speed modifiers too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's kinda weird; SevTech is ostensibly an expert pack, but is - er, on occasion - really good at putting mods in perspective on where they're good and useful. Like was mentioned earlier on the metal press, when the gating mechanic works, it works really well.

I forgot about the metal press. I used the poo poo out of that thing's packing and unpacking molds for converting ingots, nuggets, and blocks of metal between each other. I'd never needed to use those molds at all in any other pack, but in SevTech they were really convenient.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I'm coming back to minecraft after several years. I don't want a quest pack, just something that adds more resources/things to build. Are there any packs that just adds more stuff to make to the base game?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
All The Mods 3 Remix is the current go-to kitchen sink pack.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Rynoto posted:

All The Mods 3 Remix is the current go-to kitchen sink pack.

Dope, thanks. Is there a texture pack to go along with it? Or do I just have to deal with default textures to use it?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Deep Thoreau posted:

Dope, thanks. Is there a texture pack to go along with it? Or do I just have to deal with default textures to use it?

Sphax-BDcraft packs will generally be pretty complete as it's one of the bigger names. Unity, Soartex, and JohnSmith are also good styles with decent mod supports.
E: For the bdcraft ones you'll also need to download the base minecraft textures: Here. No merging or anything required. Minecraft nowadays uses a simple system of loading every pack it's told and overwriting as necessary in a priority based system.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 5, 2019

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Sphax-BDcraft packs will generally be pretty complete as it's one of the bigger names. Unity, Soartex, and JohnSmith are also good styles with decent mod supports.
E: For the bdcraft ones you'll also need to download the base minecraft textures: Here. No merging or anything required. Minecraft nowadays uses a simple system of loading every pack it's told and overwriting as necessary in a priority based system.

Edit: Figured it out nm

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 5, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Deep Thoreau posted:

Okay, I'm trying to use ATM, but it's saying I don't have enough RAM and need to adjust my settings for that. How do I do that?

If you're using the Twitch/Curse launcher you're going to want to go to File-Settings-Minecraft and scroll down to allocated memory. 8gb is generally enough for a big modpack + texturepack. For a little extra help with java you can also add:
code:
-XX:+UseG1GC -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=2147483646 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M
to the additional arguments line. Not necessary but will help smooth some hitches with garbage collection.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Has there been any petty drama/arguments to watch?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Danny Glands posted:

Has there been any petty drama/arguments to watch?

The last thing that I saw was someone forking Mekanism and doing a bunch of performance fixes and whatnot, since the original repo's maintainers weren't accepting his pull requests. (Un)fortunately, it resolved amicably -- the changes made in the fork were accepted into the main repo and the drama appears to be over.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm not a part of the modding community, but I feel like Minecraft is now old enough that most of the mod drama has faded away. The major popularity seekers would've looked for other games by now, I'd assume.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SF4

so with 4 geothermals i can get a good 7 points. so 60-70 minutes (with no storage)

What am i meant to be doing in that hour knowing any changes i make wont stick? I mean i could make a few things i guess and them plop them down once i get back in.

Im not really sure i see the point to this. Like the grind is to get 450 or so points to start with a project e table and start a new world thats similar to creative, but not?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

SF4

so with 4 geothermals i can get a good 7 points. so 60-70 minutes (with no storage)

What am i meant to be doing in that hour knowing any changes i make wont stick? I mean i could make a few things i guess and them plop them down once i get back in.

Im not really sure i see the point to this. Like the grind is to get 450 or so points to start with a project e table and start a new world thats similar to creative, but not?

Well prestige mode is really go afk or do something else mode for the most part. It isn’t like anything you can buy with points is all that necessary anyways.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Maguoob posted:

Well prestige mode is really go afk or do something else mode for the most part. It isn’t like anything you can buy with points is all that necessary anyways.
Even non prestige mode becomes this eventually. I completed all the quests save for "fill x with y" and "obey a multiblock pattern to just have yet another power gen" then considered it as complete as it's gunna get. Stoneblock 1 is the only modpack I've ever done all the quests for, and part of that is the grindy quests didn't really have you do THAT much grinding.

e: that said any pack with passive resource gen is a pack I'm going to, at least once, wind up leaving running all day while I go to work, so there's always at least one day I basically just come back to play and suddenly have all the resources I'll use for the rest of the pack.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm not a part of the modding community, but I feel like Minecraft is now old enough that most of the mod drama has faded away. The major popularity seekers would've looked for other games by now, I'd assume.

Well, there was the Elucent thing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Picked up FTB Interactions, because I apparently have an endless wellspring of self-loathing. Probably my favorite thing about it is Dynamic Lighting. I can hold a torch in my offhand and it'll actually light the area around me as I walk. It's really cool! It especially helps because the pack has that mod that makes darkness actually pitch-black dark, where you can't see at all. That being said, I know how godawful lighting calculations are in minecraft, so I could understand why a server wouldn't want it. Phosphor isn't even installed.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Phosphor breaks Dynamic Lighting. I didn't bother trying to figure out why, but it stops it working.

runchild posted:

Dynamic lighting is also a feature in Optifine.

Optifine's version works a lot more smoothly too.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 7, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Phosphor breaks Dynamic Lights. I didn't bother trying to figure out why, but it stops it working.

drat. Oh well, I'm playing single player and Dynamic Lights is too cool to remove.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I tried out Skyfactory 4 last night. My main impression is that maybe having half a dozen different acorns, resins, leaves, and ambers that are all basically the same shade of grey isn’t the best idea.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

runchild posted:

Black Pants posted:

Optifine's version works a lot more smoothly too.

That is because Optifine's version only changes the rendering on the client side; it doesn't actually update the lighting values in the world. Most other dynamic lighting mods do, which is why they perform somewhere between "piss" and "poo poo".

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Decided to try out Sky Factory 4 with prestige today. I wasn't prepared for the number of trees I'd need. And oh God...I remembered why I hate Jungle trees in vanilla.

All this mode has done so far, is make me miss OreExcavation tremendously. I'm going to press on though, because all the posts about the parabox sound interesting.

Are there any early tips or tricks I should be aware of? Like, how I learned that I can print grass blocks from 1 dirt, some water and 4 leaf blocks... That was a life changer (seriously...gently caress dirt trees).

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Arkitektbmw posted:

Decided to try out Sky Factory 4 with prestige today. I wasn't prepared for the number of trees I'd need. And oh God...I remembered why I hate Jungle trees in vanilla.

All this mode has done so far, is make me miss OreExcavation tremendously. I'm going to press on though, because all the posts about the parabox sound interesting.

Are there any early tips or tricks I should be aware of? Like, how I learned that I can print grass blocks from 1 dirt, some water and 4 leaf blocks... That was a life changer (seriously...gently caress dirt trees).

Might be to late to help you, but gravel to bonemeal by washing in a cauldron instead of stomping on dirt nets you 3:1 instead of 1:1

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Just picked up Minecraft for the first time and immediately started some basic modding. I'm pretty used to extensive Skyrim modding so this hasn't been too bad. Seems like I jumped in at a strange time though. Looks like 1.14 is the newest version but a lot of things have not been updated yet, and I could only get 1.12.2 of Forge to run properly (failed library downloads despite my best efforts with 1.13). Even so, seems like 1.12.2 should work alright for an initial run. I basically just grabbed some textures and optifine with a shader preset. I did immediately grab a mod to make chopping down trees more sensible. My inner Terraria nerd could not handle the floating trees and trying to climb my way up to get rid of all the wood/leaves.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
don't manually install forge and mods and poo poo, that way lies insanity. go to curseforge and find a modpack that seems interesting, and get that. by which i mean, ask the local thread goons for a good newbie modpack.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

graynull posted:

Just picked up Minecraft for the first time and immediately started some basic modding. I'm pretty used to extensive Skyrim modding so this hasn't been too bad. Seems like I jumped in at a strange time though. Looks like 1.14 is the newest version but a lot of things have not been updated yet, and I could only get 1.12.2 of Forge to run properly (failed library downloads despite my best efforts with 1.13). Even so, seems like 1.12.2 should work alright for an initial run. I basically just grabbed some textures and optifine with a shader preset. I did immediately grab a mod to make chopping down trees more sensible. My inner Terraria nerd could not handle the floating trees and trying to climb my way up to get rid of all the wood/leaves.

minecraft modders tend to stay on a version for a long while before picking up and moving in a mass to another one

like the big one before 1.12.2 was 1.7

i wouldn't expect modders to substantially move to a new version for a while

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Or at least use multiMC to handle forge stuff if you want customize mods yourself. Be warned though if you like a ton of mods, mod packs tend to have some mod specific workarounds for compatibility that you might not realize you need (stuff like preventing overlapping recipes, number balancing, sometimes performance stuff that I don't understand)

Xun fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 8, 2019

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Optifine, I'm not using it while I design the pack I'm making, just so I know everything looks alright for regular people. And man I'm sick of this distance fog poo poo. How do people play like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Gonna channel my inner Rutibex here and suggest some of the older Technic modpacks to start - specifically Baby's First Space Race (and maybe Attack of the B-Team). Most of the details are still accurate and it's a good primer on both vanilla and modded MC. Then jump to something like All the Mods 3 for 1.12.2 or maybe a 1.12.2 quest pack there. A lot of... conventions? Conventions were established for MC mods in 1.5 and 1.7 that can be easier to learn in BFSR and then jumping to 1.12.2 with its quality of life improvements and such will still be enjoyable.