Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

icantfindaname posted:

Does this drop any settings or themes? It's not a permanent fix right, they will send out some other update later?

The only reason for settings on extensions to be lost in this whole kerfluffle is if you remove them. Sadly the first "fix" that was going around was removing and re-adding them in experimental mode.

Meanwhile my poo poo still hasn't been disabled. I intentionally haven't closed firefox since the news hit, thinking maybe it only does the check at startup. Guess so! They really have made great improvements in memory management, a few years ago this would be eating multiple gigs.

fake edit: lol had extensions disabled literally as I was typing this post, I was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
How does Mozilla gently caress up code-signing by not timestamping? It boggles my mind that they even allowed this to happen in the first place.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

Meanwhile my poo poo still hasn't been disabled. I intentionally haven't closed firefox since the news hit, thinking maybe it only does the check at startup. Guess so! They really have made great improvements in memory management, a few years ago this would be eating multiple gigs.

fake edit: lol had extensions disabled literally as I was typing this post, I was wrong

Goondolences; it did the check for me last night, long after I had started it up. Worse, I was away from the computer and didn't catch it right away. I shudder to think about all the background-loaded ads and trackers during that dark period.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.
Mine still isn't fixed. I had studies enabled, installed the temporary fix, and still nothing, even after a computer restart.

Not only that, I can't even use the temporary add-on fix anymore because they somehow turned into file folder files instead of .xpi files, possibly because I installed the temporary "fix". Which did nothing.

I hope this actually gets fixed soon.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Liffrea posted:

Mine still isn't fixed. I had studies enabled, installed the temporary fix, and still nothing, even after a computer restart.

Not only that, I can't even use the temporary add-on fix anymore because they somehow turned into file folder files instead of .xpi files, possibly because I installed the temporary "fix". Which did nothing.

This one worked for me:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkhzjy/temp_fix_for_the_armagaddon_20_for_regular/

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Liffrea posted:

Same. I've tried a half dozen fixes now, and nothing. Browsing without Ublock and default Tabs behaviour is giving me anxiety.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Went to take a shower and when I got back all my addons were working. I didn't do anything. Seems like they might be rolling out a fix now.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

I tried that one too and it didn't help, unfortunately. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who still hasn't had the fix come yet though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The hotfix addon linked above worked right away for me, after loading it and then restarting FF. I didn't even enable studies. OTOH I can't see it in my addons panel or the about:studies page. Hopefully I won't be stuck with it forever.

Edit hahahaha I did lose settings for one extension: mozilla's own multi-account containers.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 4, 2019

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

This is so unbelievably stupid

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Booourns posted:

This is so unbelievably stupid

Its just a real shame that firefox is still the best browser out there.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

icantfindaname posted:

Does this drop any settings or themes? It's not a permanent fix right, they will send out some other update later?

My understanding is that the shield addon is a script that adds a new certificate to the database so that the trust paths for affected addons can be verified. There will be a new browser release 66.0.4 with code that does basically the same thing at startup for people that don't have shield studies enabled.

Presumably, Mozilla will have all the needed certificates correctly added to the database for the 67 release, and they won't need the workaround in code.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Liffrea posted:

I tried that one too and it didn't help, unfortunately. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who still hasn't had the fix come yet though.

If you did any of the workarounds where you manually altered the addons or loaded them temporarily you may have messed them up. I think at this point you would need to wait for Mozilla to re-sign all their AMO addons and you would need to reinstall them. At least I hope that isn't the case.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kheldarn posted:

Ya know, this is something that seems like more of a Google thing.

That investment paid off!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm a little concerned that my attempt last night to reinstall ublock ended up deleting ublock when it failed to install. Now that the studies fix is in, I had to grab ublock all over again, which isn't the worst thing since I only had a couple custom blocks. I would have been monumentally pissed if I had lost umatrix that way though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got the "all your add-ons have been disabled" message and I don't even have any add-ons installed. Weird.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's up to you to trust or distrust this fix, but it worked immediately for me. Could be I'm a sucker.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19826903

quote:

But anyways, don't use this now, use the semi-official fix of clicking on this link and letting it install: https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-normandy-prod-addons/e...

This is the fix Mozilla has published to be installed via shield studies, but skipping the shield studies part. You can be sure it's not malicious because it is signed by Mozilla... and if your browser installed unsigned extensions you wouldn't be looking for this solution in the first place.

You can clean it up afterward by following this instruction:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19827428

quote:

I would just delete it from <profile>/extensions.

edit: I'm an idiot and this was explained a page back.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 4, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you happen to be using an older version then this method worked for me:

Go to about:config

Find the line that says xpinstall.signatures.required and set it to false

All your addons will be immediately restored.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

If you happen to be using an older version then this method worked for me:

Go to about :config

Find the line that says xpinstall.signatures.required and set it to false

All your addons will be immediately restored.

If you're using an unbranded build, ESR, Dev Edition, or Nightly, this preference works just fine even with recent versions.

If you're using Firefox <48, put the keyboard down, put your hands behind your head, and slowly step away from the internet until you update your browser.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

astral posted:

If you're using an unbranded build, ESR, Dev Edition, or Nightly, this preference works just fine even with recent versions.

If you're using Firefox <48, put the keyboard down, put your hands behind your head, and slowly step away from the internet until you update your browser.

Yeah, I should have prefaced that mine is ESR and this method worked instantly but apparently that’s not the case for all versions.

Apparently they’re releasing the fix for this problem on Monday for those using older versions though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 5, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Nalin posted:

How does Mozilla gently caress up code-signing by not timestamping? It boggles my mind that they even allowed this to happen in the first place.

They want to keep the ability to pull add-ons even after initial signing, in case malware makes it past screening (which has happened in the past). Pretty much any mechanism to authenticate add-ons is going to be vulnerable to certificate failure given that.

This isn't a problem with the cert system, it did exactly what it was supposed to do. This is entirely Mozilla's fault for letting the cert expire, especially as they've chosen to take an active role in curating add-ons.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

where the red fern gropes posted:

I went to about :config, typed normandy, changed run_interval_seconds to 60, and a moment later my addons came back. Then i changed it back to 21600

ymmv

Worked for me, to think I was about to use chrome.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I got home from work after reading about this and everything is fine for me without intervention. Running Firefox 67 Beta on Windows 10 1809.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Im_Special posted:

This is what I did to fix my disabled addons, ymmv.

1) Close Browser

2) Open "extensions.json" with Notepad++ (@...AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default)

3) Replace all instances of "appDisabled":true with "appDisabled":false

4) Replace all instances of "signedState":-1 to "signedState":2

5) Save and start browser

6) Disable and re-enable all extensions in about :addons

7) Finally, make "extensions.json" Read only.

I tried this, but did not find any instances of "signedstate". I went ahead anyway and after restarting FF, it told me I had no extensions at all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

None of these tricks have worked for me. I'm on 66.0.3

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Mine fixed itself last night, out of nowhere. Just normal Firefox, didn't do any workarounds

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Mine fixed itself last night, out of nowhere. Just normal Firefox, didn't do any workarounds

Studies is on by default (on profiles created after some point I think?) and getting the study deployed to you will fix the browser.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Studies is on by default (on profiles created after some point I think?) and getting the study deployed to you will fix the browser.

No matter what I do, my "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" checkmark disappears the next time I open the settings menu or restart firefox.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I turned on the studies, it did install the fix but nothing happened. Do I have to let it on until the add-ons are restored?

Why do devs always gently caress up with certs. :(

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

RichardA posted:

Apparently in nightly, developer, android, or Linux you can use xpinstall.signatures.required set to false to disable the check.,

Thanks for this. I use ff on android because of ublock and holy poo poo was web browsing horrible.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks for this. I use ff on android because of ublock and holy poo poo was web browsing horrible.

:same:
I have my beautiful theme back. :peanut:

Are there any theme/add-on developers here? I rolled my own add-on for personal use a while back and more recently reimplemented the Space Fantasy theme that once came bundled with the browser but was deleted and never updated for the new method of doing themes.

Every once in a while sometime drops a review of my theme despite me never having publicised it. It's an odd feeling knowing total strangers like my fifteen minutes of work.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Still not working for me goddamn.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

For people where it's not working, have you tried the direct XPI link?

https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-normandy-prod-addons/extensions/hotfix-update-xpi-intermediate%40mozilla.com-1.0.2-signed.xpi

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Losing all add-ons sucks, but ain't so bad for me on desktop.

It is super loving painful to lose uBlock Origin on mobile through. I'd forgotten how bad mobile ads were.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I'm guessing this only happens if you restart Firefox? My Firefox has been running around the clock for several days now and I have had no problems with addons.

I have a green update icon in the menu but I'm not touching that until this is fixed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
66.0.4 is out for those brave enough to try it.

Will be on automatic update shortly assuming nothing weird happens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wheany posted:

I'm guessing this only happens if you restart Firefox? My Firefox has been running around the clock for several days now and I have had no problems with addons.

I have a green update icon in the menu but I'm not touching that until this is fixed.

Nope, in my case they just randomly got disabled while I was in the middle of browsing normally. Apparently a fix should be out for this by tomorrow though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Could you post a screenshot of about :studies please?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ola posted:

Could you post a screenshot of about :studies please?

I can in a few hours, I'm at work now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I can in a few hours, I'm at work now

Thanks!

I had disabled it by "no telemetry ever"-instinct, re-enabled it now. Please look at all my personal info as long as the ads go away!