Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Not quiet the masterpiece it was after 9 rounds but a performance finally worth of the top 10 pound for pound for Estrada. Seems the weight may be too much for SSR and I think he'll need to go to bantamweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Puzzling stance decisions though

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Puzzling stance decisions though

In the post-fight Rungvisai admitted that Estrada was quicker and stronger than the last fight and it threw him off. Changing from southpaw to orthodox seemed just like throwing stuff at the wall and by the time SSR was having success from southpaw it was obviously too little too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qtYy6pG1Q - SSR with Radio Rahim

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Tete had to pull out of the Donaire fight due to a bad shoulder. Stephon Young is his replacement.

e: turns out Young is from St Louis and as such I have to support him, even though I like Nonito

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 28, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Watch Donaire win the tournament due to freak injuries

EDIT: Young put up a good fight but Nonito Montiel'd him. Still think he's going to be walking into a slaughter against the Monster or even Rodriguez

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 28, 2019

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Prograis' been as good as this production has been as bad

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Looks like Joshua has his new opponent

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1122935895676440579?s=20

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I guess this is fine.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess this is fine.

It's really not, it should be Deontay or Fury and nothing less

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

willie_dee posted:

It's really not, it should be Deontay or Fury and nothing less

he's not getting Fury or Wilder on 4 weeks notice lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
It is genuinely amazing that after dying twice I still feel fury was robbed.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

It is genuinely amazing that after dying twice I still feel fury was robbed.

He won every other round

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Posters please rate your current hype for Canelo-Jacobs from 1 to 10. Right now i am at solid 7.5. Up from the very nice rating of 6.9 just before fight week

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Posters please rate your current hype for Canelo-Jacobs from 1 to 10. Right now i am at solid 7.5. Up from the very nice rating of 6.9 just before fight week

I wasn't thinking about it too much but then I got scheduled to work on saturday and I realized how badly I wanted to see it, so I immediately switched shifts.

9/10 right now, legitimate potential to be best fight this year (not necessarily FOTY, but like, the best combo between significance, hype and actual fight quality)

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

have generally stopped caring about fights before and after they happen so this one has creeped up on me and even with my Boxing Enthusiasm Protection Method deployed the fact that jacobs will have to knock him out to get a draw is putting a dampener on it for me. 6/10

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've got something mostly written up and will try to post it early for once (no promises).

I'm at about a 7/10 which will grow as the fight approaches. I still want to find time tonight to watch Canelo-GGG 1&2 and Jacobs-GGG before I really put out a prediction, for now I think it's a 60-40 fight for Canelo who comes in with the Vegas advantage.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Jacobs seems to fight to the level of his competition so that gives anyone who wants a decent fight hope but-aside from the politics and as unlikable as he can be-Canelo could just be on another level.

I think Canelo wins a unanimous decision with average scores of 9 rounds to 3 in a fight that most had winning by 7 to 5. Basically the second GGG fight with clearer rounds for Canelo.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Both are on weight and getting muy picante

https://twitter.com/BCampbellCBS/status/1124439818006491136?s=19

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thread up:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888810

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

After the fight, Jacobs is considering a move to 168, Canelo says he wants to unify the belts but isn't sure Andrade will be ready for September, so they might look for "another opponent" (Golovkin, you'd imagine, or Lemmy if things are really dire)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
So who else is ready for lineal middleweight champion Steve Rolls?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

After the fight, Jacobs is considering a move to 168, Canelo says he wants to unify the belts but isn't sure Andrade will be ready for September, so they might look for "another opponent" (Golovkin, you'd imagine, or Lemmy if things are really dire)

Jacobs seems a little small for super-middleweight, considering the guys at the top of the division are both 6'3 in Callum Smith and Gilberto Ramirez, but he could also probably beat guys like Chris Eubank Jr or Billy Joe Saunders, so maybe he could do alright there. He's a good fighter; definitely world class.

If I was Andrade I'd scrap the upcoming Sulecki fight and go right for a Canelo fight in September. It's infinitely more lucrative than a Sulecki fight and it's not guaranteed that Andrade beats Sulecki either. He should, but stranger things have happened. And if he loses to Sulecki, his window for getting a Canelo fight closes, maybe forever.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There are talks of Canelo fighting Callum Smith.

Callum Smith is the top guy at 168 and enjoys more than 7 inches of height and reach on Canelo. Smith also has decent craft and notable power, so Canelo couldn't just bulldoze him like he did Fielding or Chavez.

Interesting fight, one that I think would be a bridge too far for Canelo, but if he wins it would be hard to deny him top P4P status.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I've already seen people calling Canelo pound for pound #1. Madness.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I'm no fan of Canelo, but like GGG feel he shouldn't be penalised for fighting another p4p ranked fighter and narrowly winning/losing, as opposed to those who constantly fight no-hopers and get rated high on the "eye test"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ggg won both fights unambiguously and crediting canelo with a w in either case is a pity / stan vote. his win against jacobs is good. if he beats smith, i'll forget about the ggg robbery. if he 'beats' smith, gently caress canelo forever and his legacy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
interesting choice of hashtag

https://twitter.com/BronzeBomber/status/1125151425359749120

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

what would you suggest a boxer nicknamed the Bronze Bomber should call his fans

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The WBC ordered Lomachenko-Luke Campbell for the 135 lb belt Mikey vacated and supposedly the deal is already done to have them fight in the UK

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1125812703988191233?s=19

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't personally think Canelo is #1 but I could see someone getting there if they put a lot of stock in a fighter's record. Golovkin is a better official win than anything on Crawford or Lomachenko's records, and there are a few other guys Canelo beat that you could argue are at least as good as Crawford and Lomachneko's best wins. They win their fights a lot more clearly while Alvarez has a lot of close decision wins, but the only guy who Canelo fought and had no case for any kind of legitimate decision was Floyd Mayweather, and it's not like Crawford or Lomachenko have fought a Mayweather or even a Golovkin.

I'll say that if I had scored that Canelo-GGG rematch seven rounds to five for Canelo instead of Golovkin, there's a pretty good chance I would have Canelo ranked at #1 especially after the Jacobs win.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Canelo lost both GGG fights (maybe the second one could have been a draw) and can’t beat top guys any better than 7-5. What kind of #1 pound for pound guy is that?

Anyway, I have him clearly below Lomachenko, Crawford, and Usyk on my list. Inoue and Spence could also leapfrog him with big wins.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I pretty much agree with everything Cigar Aficionado is saying: I felt Canelo lost both GGG fights and I have him fourth after Crawford, Lomachenko and Usyk in some order, but I did think he was pretty impressive in his fight with Jacobs, winning 7-8 rounds pretty clearly and effectively stifling any of the chances that Jacobs got. He doesn't have many dominant wins over top opposition, but his resume is pretty high quality overall.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The SituAsian posted:

The WBC ordered Lomachenko-Luke Campbell for the 135 lb belt Mikey vacated and supposedly the deal is already done to have them fight in the UK

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1125812703988191233?s=19

i assume he's not represented by eddie hearn then? or hearn just thinks its too early for him?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jose posted:

i assume he's not represented by eddie hearn then? or hearn just thinks its too early for him?

Campbell is promoted by Hearn but the plan was originally to have Luke Campbell fight against Devin Haney who is a very touted contender/prospect who just signed with Matchroom which wouldve been an inhouse fight. Even if Loma goes to the UK they are the decided b-side to Lomachenko and Top Rank.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 8, 2019

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Dubois/Gorman has been announced for July 13th. Pretty exciting fight, considering it’s at least a year premature. The winner will be positioned as a new domestic rival to Anthony Joshua, though the winner wouldn’t fight Joshua for quite some time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Was weird, there was supposed to be a fight with Dubois and Joyce already in the works, but I guess this isn't far off. I imagine Joyce might fight the winner of this one.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Was weird, there was supposed to be a fight with Dubois and Joyce already in the works

Apparently that fight was ordered but Joyce withdrew. Not surprising, as he could probably get a fight with one of the big 3 next year and fighting Dubois now risks that.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Per Akin Reyes (one half of Ak and Barak on DAZN) on the Sirius XM boxing show Errol Spence-Shawn Porter is a done deal.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Per Akin Reyes (one half of Ak and Barak on DAZN) on the Sirius XM boxing show Errol Spence-Shawn Porter is a done deal.

this would have been a great fight 18-24 months ago. as it stands though congrats errol spence on your effortless victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/loudibella/status/1127328072385146888?s=19

:(