Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ka0 posted:

It was for playing MD games on airplanes. They loaned them out and you could hook them up to the seat screen.

They unsuccessfully tried to sell it in department stores.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Wait, so it's a portable console without a screen?

It's a portable console without a screen, battery, or the ability to plug it in to a normal power outlet.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i have a nomad and it's honestly very cool with the AC adapter because i can play genesis games on a whim without having one hooked up to a tv, but the screen is bad and getting worse and i have no idea how on earth i'd be able to replace it

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

FWIW I think the SNES Shadowrun is way superior. The music is incredible and I love the atmosphere and isometric/Mario RPG perspective the game had. I always thought it was really lame in the Genesis one you didn't really go into buildings. It just popped up a text box with a guy talking when you walked into a door. It's not a bad game, it's just that I love the SNES one so much. Also a code was discovered for it 20 years after the game came out: https://tcrf.net/Shadowrun_%28SNES%29#Debug_Room

I loved both versions growing up, but they have so little in common. The SNES one completely nailed the atmosphere and the story was really good compared to what else was out at the time. It would have been so much better if it wasn't completely on rails, though, and the combat was loving terrible. In a lot of ways it feels like an old PC adventure game to me. It was presented like an RPG, but it didn't really feel like one.

The Genesis version is closer to what the pen & paper Shadowrun RPG is like: a jumbled mess, but an open world. I liked that I could pick and choose different contracts from different Mr. Johnsons, that you could hack a random computer and maybe get paydata from it (and HOLY poo poo was the matrix way better in the Genesis version. The SNES treats it like an afterthought), and combat was chaotic and dangerous instead of standing motionless and moving a crosshair around.

I'm not too sure what you mean about the buildings in the Genesis version. There were like five or six districts that you could go to and there were lots of buildings to go in that were more than just dialogue options, and if you were cool with the ork gang the taxi rides between districts were free. :cool: ABBACAB

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saw this just now and thought of this thread.

That’s pretty dedicated.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5pnGeqXltU&hd=1

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

MarcusSA posted:

Saw this just now and thought of this thread.

That’s pretty dedicated.

This is going into the op :hellyeah:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Then I bought the Saturn... That was super dumb

Not if you lived in japan

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013

Angelwolf posted:

but not as goofy as this loving thing, the Handy Boy, which is just as gay as it sounds.

You are wrong, gundam gameboy is cool and good.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

GBS Ambassador posted:

You are wrong, gundam gameboy is cool and good.

If you're going to play the Gameboy you've got to learn to play it right.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ka0 posted:

I wish we'd get more Japanese covers for our games. They always look better and have some degree of real artistry to them.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I fully admit I bought the Genesis refresh only because it looked great. Still prefered SNES though because 256 colours was brutal even back then.

Also bought the 32X and didn't regret it because I played all the Virtua games then sold it before the hype died.

Then I bought the Saturn... That was super dumb

I got that Kolibri game for my 32x because goons kept recommending it for how beautiful it looks. It does have a nice art style but there's dithering everywhere and it looks like it has the same color color pallette limitation as the Genesis

It actually would look kind of lovely even for an SNES game, forget about 32x

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Twelve Batmans posted:

I wish we'd get more Japanese covers for our games. They always look better and have some degree of real artistry to them.

I'm not sure what you mean?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Twelve Batmans posted:

lol they're a complete mess of jumbled poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Angelwolf posted:

I'm not sure what you mean?

I can't believe a console with artwork like that would fail

Jesus Christ they spend how many millions making a game, then millions more manufacturing carts, they couldn't spend $500 on a loving artist?

I'm convinced that grid pattern is what they drew on and just didn't bother to remove it for the box art.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I can't believe a console with artwork like that would fail

Jesus Christ they spend how many millions making a game, then millions more manufacturing carts, they couldn't spend $500 on a loving artist?

I'm convinced that grid pattern is what they drew on and just didn't bother to remove it for the box art.

Lol if you think they spent millions.

I’d love to know what the total cost for either of those were but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just under 1 million or around there.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Twelve Batmans posted:

:thunk:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Lol if you think they spent millions.

I’d love to know what the total cost for either of those were but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just under 1 million or around there.

I'm not sure how many copies of these games are out there but I'm sure it's over a million and I bet it cost $5-10 per cart to manufacture

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Those were the good old days when gaming was pure before million dollar budgets ruined everything

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
The Saturn rules and there's never been a better time to own one. Now that Pseudo Saturn is a thing it's almost as easy to pirate for as the Dreamcast.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

When it came to the Master System didn't sega have to make a lot of the ports/games themselves due to fuckery?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lol the American versions of DS3 was just a lovely cut-out of Morrigan holding a skeleton with "FIGHTER'S EDGE" pasted behind it. I'll take character collages any-day.

Also Angelwolf posted Western box-art for Sega games so I don't know how what or why they posted in response to what I said.

Here's the Japanese equivalent of Pro Wrestling for Megadrive (it was all ladies too):

Twelve Batmans fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 5, 2019

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOHND-thXw

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

I love how the Fighting Vipers ad just straight up calls the UK a bunch of scrubs lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I once entered into a blood pact with a guy who owned a Sega Saturn

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I once entered into a blood pact with a guy who owned a Sega Saturn

With regards to what? I'm intrigued

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr. Bones posted:

With regards to what? I'm intrigued

I honestly don't remember. Cut my thumb into a shot glass, and told him I would never do something. Guess I never did it

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Mr. Bones posted:

The Saturn rules and there's never been a better time to own one. Now that Pseudo Saturn is a thing it's almost as easy to pirate for as the Dreamcast.

Really? or are you getting my hopes up because I've always dreamed of owning a jSaturn with cool games.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Really? or are you getting my hopes up because I've always dreamed of owning a jSaturn with cool games.

All you need is an Action Replay cartridge with Pseudo Saturn flashed onto it (about $50 on eBay) and you're good to go. You can flash one yourself if you want to save some money, but you have to do this disk-swapping trick that's kind of hard to do on certain models, and it doesn't cost that much more to get one that already has it. People say you should use Taiyo Yuden CDs for the games but I'm using cheap-o Verbatims and they seem to work fine. In fact, I'm playing Panzer Dragoon Saga right now!!!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you need to know all about disc swapping skills, I'm your dude. I've used the swap trick continuously on the same Saturn since the 90's. The trick is you either have mongo hands and break it, you do it some dumb way and break it, or you do it correctly and it isn't a big deal. The thing is, it's really only "ideal" if you already have a saturn and a pro-action replay and don't want to buy another one that you can't use. You want a pro-action replay anyway. I did the old region patching and swap trick without one, it's not really worth it anymore. Back in the day, it was pretty awesome to play the cool japanese games and :filez:.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 6, 2019

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mr. Bones posted:

All you need is an Action Replay cartridge with Pseudo Saturn flashed onto it (about $50 on eBay) and you're good to go. You can flash one yourself if you want to save some money, but you have to do this disk-swapping trick that's kind of hard to do on certain models, and it doesn't cost that much more to get one that already has it. People say you should use Taiyo Yuden CDs for the games but I'm using cheap-o Verbatims and they seem to work fine. In fact, I'm playing Panzer Dragoon Saga right now!!!

If you're willing to spend $50 on a pre-flashed Action Replay, you might as well go for a Gamers Cartridge (no RAM, but saves to SD card). The guy who makes it is the same guy who's been maintaining Pseudo Saturn Kai. He's a super cool dude, so I plug his stuff whenever I can.

http://ppcenter.webou.net/satcart/

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I had a game gear with the battery pack and the adapter to charge it from a cigarette lighter for long car journeys. Literally never put a battery in that sucker. Played Master System Speedball 2 on it a whole lot.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Ka0 posted:

One time, like 11 years ago, I ordered a PSP game from play-asia.com and for some reason there was some weird Sega Saturn anime waifu photography game or something like that packed in with it. Still in the shrink wrap. Those boxarts reminded me of that for some reason.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

One time, like 11 years ago, I ordered a PSP game from play-asia.com and for some reason there was some weird Sega Saturn anime waifu photography game or something like that packed in with it. Still in the shrink wrap. Those boxarts reminded me of that for some reason.

the problem here is that you didnt buy a SEGA product you IDIOT!!!!11

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Weird timing, I just got one of these for my PC:

and was Blast Processing through Sonic Mania tonight. I never got to really play Saturn in the mid-90s for various reasons, and while I emulated a few classics like a filthy pirate in the late 00s I never got to feel the controller. Now I have. And it's..... ok. I see why people love it but it's like not appreciably better than the Genesis controller it was based off of. Still really :krad: to play Sonic with though.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Master system was my first console

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Miracle Warriors > final Fantasy, fistfight me and win my guilder and horns.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mr. Bones posted:

im fairly certain 1994 still wouldve been a better time to own a saturn

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I grew up on Sega, Sega was my only friend

To this day, for whatever reason, it still bothers me that the US never got to play Segagaga on the Dreamcast. It burns me.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
You know what's cool? Sega Genesis getting Duke Nukem 3D :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9doqwl-U7jU

Bet you didn't have that on your super crappy Nintendo toy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Miracle Warriors > final Fantasy, fistfight me and win my guilder and horns.

I just googled this and it looks good as hell