Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

You can of course just make every save-breaking mod update a new workshop entry.

You could yeah though that's arguably less convenient than a single forum thread with multiple versions in it. It is what Stellaris does for similar compatibility reasons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

OwlFancier posted:

single forum thread with multiple versions in it

Most threads just have the one, most recent version in them though -- you just don't update your mods while you're in the middle of a save unless you're certain it won't break. v:shobon:v

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

The sane choice is making Starsector *not* use the Workshop since it is structurally, mechanically, and conceptually not compatible with it... Let alone all its other issues.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I mean rimworld has already solved this entire problem:

On the dev side, you release the new RC as an opt in beta for a week or two, this both allows you to find gamebreaking bugs, and lets modders update their mods to work for the new version. Also leaving the previous version as an opt in beta afterwards.
On the modder side, once a new version is released as a beta, you upload your new version of the mod as a new file, leaving the old version of the mod in limbo in case people don't wanna update to the new game version yet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rimworld also has specifc versions existing as tags, so you can filter all your mod searches with the 1.0 tag and all older versions won't show up at all. This is something I really wish Paradox did because a huge percentage of their workshop mods are out of date but the only way to tell is to look at when the mod was uploaded.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

MesoTroniK posted:

The sane choice is making Starsector *not* use the Workshop since it is structurally, mechanically, and conceptually not compatible with it... Let alone all its other issues.

Except it clearly isn't. It's less convienent than it would be if mod updates didn't break saves as often, but it's hardly incompatible.

It's also not like having Workshop support stops you from also having Nexus support, or just straight up dropping mods in the folder like we're doing right now - all of these modes live side by side.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
So far I've declined to say anything about this, but it seems like an awful lot of hullabaloo over a feature that is basically just checking off a box on the features list.

Not to put too fine a point on it but my impression is that the workshop would be at best marginally more convenient for the end user while being a sizeable headache for everyone else involved - i.e the modders and Alex. It's easy to say that these problems could be trivially solved when you're not the one solving them.

Also you guys seem to be almost entirely ignoring all the other problems in favor of the auto-updates issue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve never made a mod, and I still hate it when games use the Steam Workshop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like it when workshop based modders throw tantrums and delete all their poo poo and now it's deleted for you too.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
If you hate Steam Workshop, don't use it. Ain't rocket science.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I saw this mod in the dev's Twitter. It allows your ships to gain XP as well. And possibly to start hating your guts if you keep throwing them in the meatgrinder.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

MShadowy posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it but my impression is that the workshop would be at best marginally more convenient for the end user while being a sizeable headache for everyone else involved - i.e the modders and Alex. It's easy to say that these problems could be trivially solved when you're not the one solving them.

It's wildly more convenient as an end user to press a button on Steam and have mods install themselves and keep themselves updated than it is to dig through disorganized forums or Nexus sites that still work the same way they did twenty years ago. In games with decent workshop support, it's also usually more convenient as a modder. I'm not sure what the point of arguing about it is, though. I'm pretty sure Alex is capable of figuring out if it's feasible and deciding whether or not he thinks its worth implementing. If he goes for it, modders that hate the workshop for whatever reason can always host their poo poo elsewhere like they do with tons of other games.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Reading is Hard apparently, do I need to go quote myself and what I said initially?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
No. In fact, you can stop posting indefinitely. Please.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Same, it's pretty bad.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Get this game on steam because it has to come to one platform eventually and every other platform is insufferable.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Twist: Starsector to become an Epic store exclusive.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

MesoTroniK posted:

Reading is Hard apparently, do I need to go quote myself and what I said initially?

No thanks. I just happen to disagree that any of the things you mentioned are likely to be significant issues. People disagree about things on the internet, sometimes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

What does this mean? What don't you like?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Personally, I'm waiting for the anime ship deco mods. Or Starsector ship girls.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
:confused: I'm not sure I see how the Workshop would be less convenient for your everyday player in the slightest. Putting this game on Steam is going to introduce a lot of people who aren't actually familiar with modding.

Take a step back and look at this from the perspective of your average consumer -- they aren't going to immediately trot off to the Starsector forums or the Nexus to see if this has mods. This is just another game to mess around with.

Having the Workshop right in front of you, on the other hand, gives you an active prompt to look at the mods there. That's a lot more exposure than a separate website with a separate utility and manual downloads and manual updates and... yeah.

Less complexity and barriers to entry = better on the customer side. Hands down. May not be the same case on the modder side, but the player experience is paramount in these kinds of decisions. Not everyone has the same level of interest that we do in the nitty-gritty.

Edit:

Autism Sneaks posted:

Also this.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 5, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, saying "Steam Workshop is bad, actually" is some next-level grog poo poo and I'm someone who still likes to install games using .exe files sometimes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's fine for games that work well with it but it definitely has problems with any game that is reliant on strict version control to work.

Mostly the benefit, I think, is volume. If you're installing piles of poo poo where versioning generally doesn't matter like for cities skylines it's quite handy, or Rimworld. But for say, Fallout 4 I would rather use nexus and have concrete versions for everything. Starsector takes minimal effort to set up so it's not really saving much time.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 5, 2019

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Less complexity and barriers to entry = better on the customer side. Hands down. May not be the same case on the modder side, but the player experience is paramount in these kinds of decisions. Not everyone has the same level of interest that we do in the nitty-gritty.

As someone who has made a few reasonably popular mods for other games, my experience is that it's also much easier as a modder when the integration is halfway decent.

OwlFancier posted:

It's fine for games that work well with it but it definitely has problems with any game that is reliant on strict version control to work.

In all of the games where I've run into issues with this, there are easy ways to prevent Steam from updating mods that you don't want updated, usually by moving them to another folder.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Steam is pretty good in my opinion as a platform, I mean your only other option for mass distribution is Epic right? And that one is still developing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Literally the only thing Star Sector needs for workshop 'integration' is for the launcher to recognize the steam folder as a valid path for mods. That's it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wallet posted:

In all of the games where I've run into issues with this, there are easy ways to prevent Steam from updating mods that you don't want updated, usually by moving them to another folder.

That seems like it's suddenly become less convenient than just downloading the version you want, though. Especially as steam does not store mods on file in easily understandable formats, just numerical strings last I checked.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

^^It's about the same level of effort, honestly.

Steam Workshop integration would probably be fine for SS, it wouldn't even really require that much effort on the part of the modders as plenty of games maintain workshop versions but still handle primary installation and tech support through offsite forums (mount and blade springs to mind, which has many of the same modding pitfalls as Starsector.) A bunch of users would probably miss the big text about manual installations or movement of files on the workshop page but eh, that's on the user at that point.

That said, as far as I remember we have no idea how Starsector is actually going to see release so this whole conversation might wind up a moot point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really I think my preferred starsector option would be nexus. Hard version management while retaining one click install.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Autism Sneaks posted:

Love it when when posters shout at modders to leave, in a discussion about mods. Good poo poo thread.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gobblecoque posted:

Love it when when posters shout at modders to leave, in a discussion about mods. Good poo poo thread.

I, for one? Hate it!

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Heh, well don't worry I am not going anywhere.

I just find it a bit disheartening that so many of the bullet points were virtually ignored by most in favor of the auto-updates one which admittedly is the worst and most negatively impactful.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Edit: Never mind. Pretty sure another post won't actually move the needle if there's this big of a disconnect in perspectives -- not worth stirring things up.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 6, 2019

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MesoTroniK posted:

Heh, well don't worry I am not going anywhere.

I just find it a bit disheartening that so many of the bullet points were virtually ignored by most in favor of the auto-updates one which admittedly is the worst and most negatively impactful.

It wasnt ignored. The problem with mods breaking saves on updates is either

A: an issue with modders. Or
B: an issue with the game.

We know this is mostly an issue with the game much more so than the modders fault and is actually something I would seriously hope Alex looks into to see if it can be fixed.

It would be a huge benefit to the game and modding community as a whole. People aren't trying to blow you off or dismiss you. We all know your a hell of a good modder and have put a lot into your projects which gives you a pretty solid insight on how the engine is working. It doesn't change the fact that many of us want one solid solution that makes updating less time consuming.

Edit: holy poo poo vortex is just awful. I loaded it up when I got home to see what mods were on nexus and the starsector mods stuff there doesn't move. Vortex needs a complete overhaul to even be reasonably user friendly at a base level.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 6, 2019

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Just wanted to say Factorio has a good solution for this from a UX perspective, embedding user mod version management inside the game itself. I don't know how much of a pain it is for modders to work in that paradigm however.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the only mod update i care about is blackrock driveyards

when... when....

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I've made mods for a lot of games (including Starsector) and published on the workshop a lot and here's my take: it's a good thing and I've had no issues with versioning. Most games that implement it plan for some version distinction/detection. Alex would do the same for Starsector if he decided to implement it. The workshop hate is frankly super loving weird. If implemented correctly it's fine.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 6, 2019

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
workshop sucks steam sucks if you want my mod you can send me a crisp $5 in the post and i'll mail you back a box of floppy disks like god intended

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Good Professor posted:

workshop sucks steam sucks if you want my mod you can send me a crisp $5 in the post and i'll mail you back a box of floppy disks like god intended

But.. what if the mod I want from you is one of those skyrim massive mod additions that's like 30 gigs?

Or how about Ark? Need like 100gigs of mods for Ark.

How many thousands of floppies do you need and do you also send a free copy of Dont Copy that Floppy with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I feel like this conversation has been had for so many games over so long a period that I can't help but dredge up old memories of the, like, Minecraft modding debacles, and the CovertJaguars, the Flowerchilds, things from the Elder Scrolls crowd like Arthmoor's GateGate, and it begins to sour my initially hopeful prospects for how modding of Starsector will probably get a massive influx of content creators once a Steam release is made.

Like yeah, the drama is fun to look at! That's a valid point to make! But it also grinds down your soul a good bit and inevitably the distaste turns to disgust, I don't want that to happen with this game. Game's too good and nice and fun to let it get ruined by latent jackassery and mind goblins!