Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since I’ve already mentioned my favorites (Splash Star, Fresh, HeartCatch, Suite, DokiDoki, Go Princess) a few times now here are my thoughts on the remaining shows as well (there hasn’t really been an outright terrible Precure season per se but some are better than others).

Futari Wa/Max Heart: Decent cast and good action (in fact at times it genuinely feels like a shounen series that just happens to feature a primarily female cast).

However the plot is fairly cookie cutter, nobody really develops all that significantly aside from maybe Honoka, the villains range from ok to terrible and Hikari/Shiny Luminous is a block of wood with a somewhat interesting backstory. It’s very clear from the back half that this show was a bit of a sleeper hit and was never originally intended to last beyond the initial 26 episodes.

There’s also a fairly stupid subplot about Nagisa having a crush on a guy but being too scared to do anything about it. This ultimately goes nowhere and contributes nothing but the writers still feel the need to drag it out across both seasons for whatever reason.

Yes 5/GoGo: Great cast for the most part and like Splash Star before it introduced a lot of tropes that are now staples of Precure. The first season is arguably better than the second (in fact, GoGo almost killed the franchise entirely due to poor ratings/sales).

However the second part does have its moments like giving the suits a much better looking upgrade, turning Milk into a likable character and giving us more great Bunbee moments. The enemy general whose main gimmick was trapping the girls inside fairy tales made for some fun episodes as well.

Smile: Excellent cast on both the hero and villain sides, but extremely episodic and the story itself is fairly thin.

However I would actually argue the show is at its best during the standalone episodes than it is when it actually tries to get serious (occasionally even outright stealing ideas from previous seasons that usually did them better). Not much meat on it but if you’re looking for a starter season this works pretty well in that regard.

Happiness Charge: Starts off ok with some decent characters, one of the more unique and versatile battle systems in the franchise and a plot that sounds interesting on paper (girls from around the world being recruited as soldiers in what ultimately ends up being sort of a holy war between two ideologically opposed deities).

Of course, there are things that drag it down as well:

-Blue. A terrible mentor who (somewhat inadvertently) started a lot of the central conflict and is at times an outright detriment to his team that makes Tarte from Fresh look competent (Note: I actually like Tarte a fair bit but he does kind of suck at his job).

-Yuko/Cure Honey. Not a bad character per se but aside from contributing to the whole Phantom arc and being Hime’s friend/drug candy dealer she doesn’t really contribute all that much to the show as a whole.

-A love triangle plot that ultimately ends up being completely pointless

-Hime’s entire motivation for becoming a Precure being reduced down to a footnote near the end (we don’t even get to properly meet her parents)

-Tender leaves right when the group probably could have used her the most (and for a kind of flimsy reason too).

-The International Cures ranged from ok to vaguely racist and didn’t really get a lot of focus aside from the Hawaii duo.

-The usual Pink focus is taken to an absurd degree as Megumi completely takes over the plot by the end at the expense of most of the other characters (including soloing the final boss while the others are basically incapacitated for most of the time)

-They try to give Red a last minute redemption plot despite setting him up as essentially a Satan analogue for most of the season.

Maho Girls: I’ll be honest, I don’t really care that much about the Cures this seasons aside from maybe Riko (Mirai seemed a little one-note to me and Haa can come off as more annoying than endearing at times), but that’s just me.

The side characters and some of the villains are fun though and the plot is serviceable enough. I do kind of wish they’d done a bit more with the battle system though (like maybe let Miracle and Magical use the Emerald at one point while Felice used one of the other stones, or have some kind of final form that all three girls could share).

KiraKira: An ok season with a decent cast on the hero side but not so much in regards to the villains aside from Julio and Bibury who wound up switching sides anyway, maybe Elisio as well who I genuinely wanted dead after the episode where he targeted Akira’s little sister.

The show also kind of doesn’t have a plot until about 10-12 episodes in though things do start to improve a bit from there.

Hugtto: I have some issues with the ending and while the crossovers were cool I feel like it would have been better to either have the entire season revolve around them or excise them entirely aside from a movie or two.

Despite that it’s more or less a solid season with some great characters, a fairly interesting plot and a surprisingly progressive message for a Japanese show.

Related to that, it also features a character named Henri. An openly gay man who enjoys figure skating and wearing dresses and doesn’t really give a crap about traditional gender roles.

However, at no point is he ever treated like a stereotype or the butt of a joke, he’s just a normal character that sticks around for most of the season and has his own personal arc (even temporarily becoming a Precure at one point).

Star Twinkle: There’s still plenty of time for them to screw this up but I’ve been really enjoying this season so far and am genuinely intrigued as to where some of the plot points it’s been setting up are ultimately going to lead.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Unpopular fandom opinion but I wasn't huge on Heartcatch, like... I liked it, but I thought it was kind of a middle of the road season overall. Erika and Tsubomi being dorks together was my favorite part and I would've liked it a lot more if the show had been more about that, and less about the writers having a contest to see who could pile the most poo poo on Yuri (I could say more about this but I won't because I'm lazy).

Futari Wa, Fresh, and Kira Kira (yeah I know) are my own personal favorite seasons, mostly because of the strength of the characters. I'm also really enjoying Star Twinkle a lot so far. This last episode with Lala going to school might have been my favorite in the season so far. I really like when Precure touches on issues that real life kids might encounter, like going to a new school and being The Weird Kid.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I really liked Kira Kira cause the drama and plot felt different for Precure as they touched on stuff they normally don't touch. Even if the action was kinda of toned down

Also Bibury was amazing as she was 100% the same after the turn cause it wasn't supposed to happen but she was just so popular the staff felt they had to turn her

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yeah I genuinely liked that Bibury was just this gremlin that sat around the patisserie and the Cures didn't try to pressure her into being something she wasn't, or push her into getting over her past too quickly. It gave the show a kind of neat sense of realism, like KiraPati was a real place where a bunch of different people hung out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh HeartCatch isn’t perfect, Itsuki’s character arc kind of stalls out a bit after joining the team and the final battle is kind of anticlimactic (the girls fuse together, hit Dune once, and then it's pretty much over).

The show also has a bit of tonal whiplash at times. On the one hand you have a much more cartoony art style in comparison to other seasons (which I kind of like as it makes the characters much more expressive), 90% of Erika’s character and the Heart Seeds being fairy dung (they literally poo poo them out).

But on the other you have things like permanent character death (and not all of them villains), the description of what happens to a person with a wilted Heart Flower being arguably worse than death, related to the first point the universe seems to have a personal grudge against Yuri for some reason (to the point where it’s a wonder the poor girl is still sane by the end after watching her fairy and later her father basically get murdered in front of her, in fact afterwards she's straight up ready to kill Dune herself until Tsubomi talks her down), and the final arc opening with the world essentially being destroyed.

Still a good show though but honestly not one I’d recommend as a starter series. In that regard, Fresh and Go Princess are probably closer to being accurate representations of what an average Precure show is like. Like I said, Smile also works in that regard despite being a lot more episodic than normal.

Fun fact: HeartCatch actually got a novelization made that explains a few things the series didn’t (like the origins of the Desert Apostles and how Yuri first got her powers).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 1, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to KiraKira, I didn’t know that Bibury only turned due to popular opinion but that makes sense as she’s one of the best things about the series (and as others have mentioned I like that her personality didn’t really change at all after switching sides). I like the show well enough but it just takes a bit to really find its footing.

I also enjoyed the animal + desert aspect of the suit design (even if the former didn’t have much to do with the main theme of the show) and while Ceil had to grow on me a bit pretty much every Cure is great (I also hope that Ako had a chance to preform together with Emiru and Lulu in the Miracle Universe movie but I doubt it).

I think one of my favorite parts was when Yukari caught on to Julio’s plans and then proceeded to completely clown on him by making up a sob story.

Back onto HeartCatch, out of curiosity were all the fairies in that series named after fragrances or just Potpourri and Cologne?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Coffret and Chypre are also named for perfumes.

But not Coupe. He's named for a sports car.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Coffret and Chypre are also named for perfumes.

But not Coupe. He's named for a sports car.

Looking it up, specifically Coffret is the French word for "box", in this case a collection of fragrances such as perfumes. Makes sense that Coupe would be the odd man out as all the others are little fuzzy creatures of indeterminate species while he's just this giant hairy frog-like thing.

Another thing I like about HeartCatch is that Tsubomi has one of the best character arcs out of any Pink (except maybe Haruka from Go Princess). She starts off as this shy, introverted girl who has very few friends/prospects and is referred to by both enemies and allies as "the weakest Precure in history" but by the end she's come out of her shell and grown into a genuine hero in and out of suit, surpassing even her own grandmother. I like that it's a gradual process as well (and one she's still shown struggling with during the episodes later on where the Precure essentially have to fight their own inner selves as part of a test).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 1, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Got around to the latest Star Twinkle. My feelings are...mixed. I don't think it was a bad episode exactly but I'm not really sure of the message it's trying to send.

So Lala can magically speak Japanese, but she still can't read it at all. It does seem like this episode sort of implied she's going to try to learn it (when she read her name off the chalkboard) but that's still going to take time. Likewise she doesn't understand a lot of earth customs or items. So yeah, having her use the AI to tell her that "This is what the book says" while she's still trying to learn (because she is in school and the teachers almost certainly expect certain levels of reading ability) seems totally understandable. And she definitely felt awful and depressed because she screwed up a lot and having the AI help her also makes sense, it's going to help her feel more comfortable and give her more self-esteem instead of feeling like a failure like she did at the start.

But then the episode made it look like the message was going to be "Lala was wrong to use the AI to help her" which is a really lovely message. Then they ended up kind of dropping that though? And all the episode really cared about was "She says -lun at the end of sentences but everyone likes that so it's totally fine." Except that still has nothing to do with her not being able to read any Japanese or knowing how certain earth tools/technology are operated which would still be an issue. They didn't mention any of that though so I guess they kind of didn't say "She was wrong to use the AI to help her" which would be nice except at the end of the episode she's going to school and doesn't have her glove on so it seems like they really are going for that.

I don't know. I'm thinking way too much about a cartoon for children because I feel like Lala is totally justified to use the AI since she's at a severe disadvantage at school and making the message that she shouldn't have rubs me the wrong way because then it seems like they're saying "Disadvantaged people should never use anything to help them."

Anyway Fleetfoot was cool and I hope he's in more episodes, also interesting that the other generals can take people's IMAGINAAAAAAATION and use them to do things that aren't just making monsters (that seems to be solely Ayewan's skill).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem with the AI wasn't that it was helping her learn it was causing her to act completely different from how she normally was to fit in. Which is not good for kids imo

The episode was about how it was okay to be different and you dont need to change to fit in and it's okay to struggle to learn stuff while being different. It's a good message for a kids show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of hope Lala's new nickname sticks (as does a majority of the students adapting her speech quirk). It's also nice to see that Sakurako is still around as well, hopefully she'll wind up being a semi-regular as opposed to her predecessors in DokiDoki and Go Princess (the latter of which was for some reason completely forgotten about after her introduction until they finally brought her back for the final arc). I also hope that Tenjou gets a powerup similar to what Kappard used in this episode and now that Darknest has awakened we finally get to see Garuouga take the field.

But yeah, I liked Lala learning to swim on her own in a sense and not relying on her AI all the time. I feel like that's going to be helpful now that she's actually trying to blend in on Earth as opposed to generally keeping out of sight as much as possible like before.

This week we get to meet Elena's family which should be fun and then it's finally time to introduce our mid-season addition (with a Madoka focused episode shoved in between).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 1, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Being reliant enough on the AI to have a panic attack when she can't access it is kind of a problem, yes. She's the only one of her race on a backwater planet fighting a covert war. If that little glove of hers breaks, there's no guarantee she can fix it. Learning to do things the local, low-tech way is just basic good sense.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know. I'm thinking way too much about a cartoon for children because I feel like Lala is totally justified to use the AI since she's at a severe disadvantage at school and making the message that she shouldn't have rubs me the wrong way because then it seems like they're saying "Disadvantaged people should never use anything to help them."

interesting, I actually got the opposite message out of it - using her AI seemed to be okay and even encouraged, so long as it doesn't pressure her into completely dropping her personality quirks. I had a lot of problems at school when I was a kid like Lala does and I loved the hell out of this episode because it felt like it was understanding The Struggle.

Now that I think about it, I suppose that maybe the message is left ambiguous, but the music during the whole scene where she was using her AI seemed to be happy and upbeat enough that I read it as being portrayed in a positive light.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Hugtto really goes whole hog with blatantly marketing the toys, like Hugtan is conveniently playing with some bracelet maker toy when they're looking for ways to cheer up Saaya. I feel like Star Twinkle has integrated the toys much better into the show without feeling too much like an ad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I thought HeartCatch did a pretty good job of integrating the toys into the show as well (and I wonder if the fact that the fairies literally poo poo out the collectables in that season was meant as some kind of jab by the writers). I understand this franchise is an elaborate toy commercial but like Rider and Sentai some seasons do a better job of covering it up than others.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Pikestaff posted:

Now that I think about it, I suppose that maybe the message is left ambiguous, but the music during the whole scene where she was using her AI seemed to be happy and upbeat enough that I read it as being portrayed in a positive light.

Mostly what I'm thinking about is when they're walking home and Lala says that using the AI helped her avoid making mistakes, and Hikaru says "It's okay to make mistakes." I feel like if the message was supposed to be "Lala is acting weird" then Hikaru should have instead said something like "You're not acting like yourself" or "You don't have to try so hard to fit in." But making Hikaru talk about how it's okay to make mistakes made it seem like she was saying using the AI was a bad thing. And while she's not wrong, it is okay to make mistakes, not being able to read a single bit of Japanese in a Japanese middle school is not a good thing and something Lala shouldn't feel bad about using the AI for. Again, not that she can't study it and learn it on her own (and as I said it does seem like they vaguely implied she's going to do that) but until she gets better, using the AI is not a bad thing. Like, if I went to Japan right now and couldn't read a word of it, it wouldn't be bad for me to have some sort of booklet that has common characters and such to tell me what some basic signs say, and that's basically what the AI was doing for her.

Which is why I felt a little relieved that the resolution after the battle was more "It's okay to have a weird speech quirk and be unique." That's definitely a good message, and I can accept that maybe Hikaru was just being an idiot when she was talking to Lala earlier and said something dumb. It wouldn't be the first time in this series. And her not having the AI at the end I can accept as "Hikaru and friends are going to work harder to help her out in learning earth things so she doesn't need it."

Darth Walrus posted:

If that little glove of hers breaks, there's no guarantee she can fix it. Learning to do things the local, low-tech way is just basic good sense.

I guess this is where suspension of disbelief comes in because if they can't even add double digits in their heads how could her race fix the AI if it broke on her home planet? But I know I'm not supposed to think that hard about it. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mostly what I'm thinking about is when they're walking home and Lala says that using the AI helped her avoid making mistakes, and Hikaru says "It's okay to make mistakes." I feel like if the message was supposed to be "Lala is acting weird" then Hikaru should have instead said something like "You're not acting like yourself" or "You don't have to try so hard to fit in." But making Hikaru talk about how it's okay to make mistakes made it seem like she was saying using the AI was a bad thing. And while she's not wrong, it is okay to make mistakes, not being able to read a single bit of Japanese in a Japanese middle school is not a good thing and something Lala shouldn't feel bad about using the AI for. Again, not that she can't study it and learn it on her own (and as I said it does seem like they vaguely implied she's going to do that) but until she gets better, using the AI is not a bad thing. Like, if I went to Japan right now and couldn't read a word of it, it wouldn't be bad for me to have some sort of booklet that has common characters and such to tell me what some basic signs say, and that's basically what the AI was doing for her.

Which is why I felt a little relieved that the resolution after the battle was more "It's okay to have a weird speech quirk and be unique." That's definitely a good message, and I can accept that maybe Hikaru was just being an idiot when she was talking to Lala earlier and said something dumb. It wouldn't be the first time in this series. And her not having the AI at the end I can accept as "Hikaru and friends are going to work harder to help her out in learning earth things so she doesn't need it."

I guess this is where suspension of disbelief comes in because if they can't even add double digits in their heads how could her race fix the AI if it broke on her home planet? But I know I'm not supposed to think that hard about it. :v:

That's what other AIs are for, of course. Lala is apparently from a highly integrated, technologically dependent culture, which is fine while she's there, but a liability when she's outside the support network that makes the whole place run. Learning Japanese without her AI is an excellent idea if, for instance, her glove gets busted in a fight, she gets split up from the rest of the team, and she needs to read some street signs.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Captain Cappy posted:

Hugtto really goes whole hog with blatantly marketing the toys, like Hugtan is conveniently playing with some bracelet maker toy when they're looking for ways to cheer up Saaya. I feel like Star Twinkle has integrated the toys much better into the show without feeling too much like an ad.

That bracelet maker toy shows up at least once in like every Precure season, give it some time and it'll probably show up in Star Twinkle too, lol.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So watching some more of Glitter Force and my god the edits in this show are uneven. In DokiDoki in particular apparently the final powerup, the fairies gaining human forms (or having any development at all), the Little Prince analogues, and a large chunk of Rikka’s character arc (including most of her introduction in episode 2), and probably more I’m forgetting were too much for them but the imagery of a person’s heart being ripped from their chest upon becoming a Selfish, most of Makoto, Regina and King Selfish’s backstories remaining more or less unchanged, Regina attempting suicide and Bel flat out murdering Leva and Gula was perfectly fine for some reason. Not to mention the weird practice of splicing scenes from multiple episodes into one.

This is also kind of weird in Smile’s adaption where aside from a name change (probably due to copyright issues) Joker was almost entirely untouched (including his rather gruesome demise).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 2, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Hugtan almost dies, and then Yell summons a sword? poo poo's whack.

Edit: Is there really a precure popcorn maker? *sighs as I pull out my wallet*

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 3, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hope that's in the Precure store when I go to Japan!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In this day and age where most antagonists in this franchise are redeemed somewhat by the end I'd kind of like to see a villain like Joker again one day. He was just this irredeemable psychopath who was actually somewhat smart (constantly upgrading his monsters to counter the Precure and in the episode where they got the Royal Clock he actually tried to take steps to prevent them from using it) and probably should have been the last boss of the series instead of Pierrot. Apart from a name change he also wasn't really toned down much at all in the english dub.

Also, was there any hint at all earlier that the Bad End Trio were actually Marchenland fairies? As even up to their last stand it was implied that they literally were the antagonists from their respective stories. Though then again we've seen that the fairies of that realm are big on playing as characters from various stories so maybe those three were just super into their roles and joined Bad End because they felt they were getting a raw deal (as simply being brainwashed would take a lot of steam out of their big speech near the end).

Finally, is it just me or did Smile rather blatantly steal a few ideas from past shows? Off the top of my head there's the episodes of Yes 5 where the team is captured and brainwashed by Nightmare, the comedian episode of Fresh, the fashion show episode of HeartCatch and the ending of All Stars DX3. Even the design and some of the personalities of the main team are somewhat reminiscent of Yes 5 (except Nao who is nothing like Komachi).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Smile very much redid stories from Yes and it was a mixed bag as the comedy stuff Smile did better but the plot stuff (like the bad end Precure and the game show episode) were nowhere near as good as Yes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s not one of my favorites but it’s not terrible show either (mostly due to the fact there really are no bad characters in the series except maybe Pierrot himself who was just your generic demon king). The tone is somewhat inconsistent as well (about 90% of the show is this goofy romp that almost feels like a self-parody of the franchise at times but then whenever they get serious the show becomes super dark all of a sudden). Not to mention the fact that they essentially had to reset the clock twice because both sides accomplished their goals too early in the season.

While I thought Joker was a decent villain and that the Bad End Trio were arguably just as much the stars of the show as the Precure themselves were, I think Smile is probably at its best when it’s just doing one-off filler episodes than when it’s actually trying to follow its plot.

Unless you want to count Royal Candy at the end Smile is also the only season not to bring in any additional members beyond the initial team.

Of course the term Extra is kind of relative when it comes to seasons like HeartCatch (Yuri was literally the first Cure we saw in that show even though she was the last to join and Itsuki didn’t become a Cure until later but was an established character in the show more or less since day one) and Happiness Charge (chronologically speaking Megumi was the last one to become a Precure in that show).

Though if I had to choose I’d probably give it to Itsuki and Iona respectively (the former was the last one to gain her powers and had a unique weapon from the other 3 and the latter had a unique transformation device after her old one was destroyed).

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Will Cure Emiru be a Dan Hibiki style character or more of Young Joseph type when they finally release the Precure fighting game?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

Will Cure Emiru be a Dan Hibiki style character or more of Young Joseph type when they finally release the Precure fighting game?

Keep watching, that’s all I’m going to say right now.

Also on the subject of the Bad End Precure, I understand they were sort of going for a Nejiranger/Psycho Ranger vibe with each girls individual personality twisted in some manner but it kind of falls flat when you bring them in right at the end of the series (plus Yes 5 did it better anyway).

That said I’d kind of like to see them try the whole evil (or at least, less moral than the primary team) Precure idea again only this time with an actual human girl instead of a clone (which even Dark Precure technically counts as). I think the closest we’ve come so far is Twilight/Towa from Go Princess where her powers were created by DysDark but later turned against them (Towa is basically a Kamen Rider in that sense).

It might be nice to either have a Zyuoh TheWorld situation where a girl is brainwashed by the villains and given Cure powers to fight against the current team or an AbareKiller type deal where said girl is in complete control of herself but isn’t really beholden to either side (which I kind of hope they wind up doing with Mao/Blue Cat/Cure Cosmo in Star Twinkle given what little we know about her so far but somehow I doubt it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 3, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Larryb posted:

Keep watching, that’s all I’m going to say right now.

I'm already aware she gets turned into a "real" precure later in the show. I'm currently just trying to catch up to where the simulwatch is so I don't have to ask so many questions about who the heck this iceskating dweeb is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Of course the term Extra is kind of relative when it comes to seasons like HeartCatch (Yuri was literally the first Cure we saw in that show even though she was the last to join and Itsuki didn’t become a Cure until later but was an established character in the show more or less since day one)

Also don't forget Kaoroku gets to turn back into Cure Flower one last time at the end of the series, and then there's Cure Ange who basically just exists to slam her giant loving fist into the enemies when they go into their super mode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also don't forget Kaoroku gets to turn back into Cure Flower one last time at the end of the series, and then there's Cure Ange who basically just exists to slam her giant loving fist into the enemies when they go into their super mode.

True, but those were mostly one shots. Fun Fact: Cure Ange is the only time that Toei has straight up reused a Cure name for another series (Cure Ange is also the name of the blue Cure in Hugtto though it's pronounced differently). Though there are some borderline cases like Cure Sunshine/Cure Sunny and Milky Rose/Cure Milky.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HC Cure Ange and Hugtto Cure Ange are pronounced differently and spelled differently in Japanese, so it's not quite a name re-use

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, Star Twinkle 14: This week's episode reminded me a lot of Smile, in a good way. We got to meet all of Elena's family, including her parents. This confirmed that she's half-Mexican and her mom was played by Ayahi Takagaki, best known as Chris from Symphogear. And after a long time waiting the team recovered another Princess Pen, specifically Scorpio. Her voice wasn't listed, but I think it's Aya Endo who also plays Tenjou. Speaking of which, Tenjou apparently now also has the ability to create NotTriggers though she does so by directly corrupting people rather than using a Dark Pen like Aiwan.

Next Week: Blue Cat (the mystery girl from the OP) finally makes her debut, though strangely enough the preview only shows her civilian form Mao.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 5, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

next week:

I'm reminded of Pripara

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I understand The girl from the preview (Mao) is a space idol who also happens to be an intergalactic phantom thief named Blue Cat (and apparently uses what looks like a knockoff Princess Perfume to change forms). She’s the girl from the opening and is also very likely going to be our eventual 5th Cure (additionally in recent magazine scans she’s shown holding a Dark Pen).

I have no idea how this is ultimately going to be handled but we should be in for an interesting next few episodes at any rate.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 6, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Space Pripara with a dash of Lupin III is a high concept arc I can get behind

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for 14. The gang recovers the Scorpio pen and Tenjou can apparently now create NotTriggers as well (and she doesn't need Dark Pens to do it either).

As for next week, I'm still curious how they're going to handle Mao/Blue Cat (that is, whether she's a Robin Hood type who has some kind of noble reason for her actions or if we're going to get a Cure that's a little morally gray for once). Also looking at the preview again it appears her giant form is likely just a projection advertising her show (the episode's plot seems to involve the girls traveling to the Celebrity Planet after all).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Subs are out for 14. The gang recovers the Scorpio pen and Tenjou can apparently now create NotTriggers as well (and she doesn't need Dark Pens to do it either).

They are not Notiggers. They are Giant Notreis. Her dudes dress a person as a Notrei then she makes them grow.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

They are not Notiggers. They are Giant Notreis. Her dudes dress a person as a Notrei then she makes them grow.

Ah, my mistake. Still though, there’s only a set number of Star Pens so they’re probably going to have to come up with a new method for making MOTW eventually.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Ah, my mistake. Still though, there’s only a set number of Star Pens so they’re probably going to have to come up with a new method for making MOTW eventually.

Yeah Tenjou and Kappard don't need them, just a victim.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I meant in terms of Aiwan (unless they find some other way of creating Dark Pens and/or NotTriggers). Though Tenjou’s creations could technically be seen as MOTW as if this one is any indication they are a bit more distinctive/powerful than your average NotRei.

Though then again we still haven’t really seen what Bakenyan or Garogre can do just yet and it’s always possible that a new general or two will surface later on (plus we’re about to have a whole new wrench thrown into the works with the arrival of Blue Cat next episode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Has Super Sentai ever just had a giant minion like that? It seemed very odd to me.