Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Azuren posted:

I just played through original IWD (solo paladin run) after not playing it and HoW since they were released. I'd never played TotL before now and I have to say it was pretty tedious and annoying. I read they released it for free in response to complaints that HoW was too short, or something?

yep, you got it. on the one hand, this was like 2001 and a company responding in that fashion to complaints about a short expansion pack was and is impressive, but "maximum hours for minimum investment" were clearly the design watchwords when developing trials.

heart of winter was loving savaged back on release for its length by reviewers, though even back then i remembered liking it quite a bit and didn't think it was egregiously short or anything personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did Heart of Winter cost the same as Tales of Sword Coast and Throne of Bhaal when it came out?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azuren posted:

Moving on to IWD2, which I've actually never finished... think I got up to the temple with the battle square and stopped there. Gonna try a solo paladin, hopefully it works (I know the ECL poo poo will nerf the ability to overlevel).
I would skip the Battle Square FYI, unless you are a neurotic completionist. It is an exercise in agony.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If you turn undead with Hexxat in the party does she just explode?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheesetriangles posted:

If you turn undead with Hexxat in the party does she just explode?

You have to a significantly higher level than the undead in question for them to explode. She probably runs away though, I know Viconia's turn undead works on PC paladins.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm sure this question has been asked in this thread a hundred times but any tips on what to tackle first in early Baldur's Gate 2? I've cured Jaheira's curse but not much else.

I went to the graveyard next as I had two quests there but two skeletal warriors owned the poo poo out of me in the first room I went into.

My MC is a fighter/mage, and I've got Minsc, Jaheira, Hexxat, Yoshimo and Anomen - his turn undead didn't have any effect on the skellies or Hexxat for the record

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked in this thread a hundred times but any tips on what to tackle first in early Baldur's Gate 2? I've cured Jaheira's curse but not much else.

I went to the graveyard next as I had two quests there but two skeletal warriors owned the poo poo out of me in the first room I went into.

My MC is a fighter/mage, and I've got Minsc, Jaheira, Hexxat, Yoshimo and Anomen - his turn undead didn't have any effect on the skellies or Hexxat for the record

Good starting quests are the circus tent, the slavers in the slums, and then maybe de'Arnise keep / Nalia's quest (you don't have to bring her) since the keep is full of stuff that harms the bad guys there. The Unseeing Eye quest isn't very challenging either if you can figure out how to deal with (or cheese) beholders. Umar Hills is also okay-ish but you will likely have to leave some stuff for later on. After a couple initial quests going to Trademeet is also a good idea, once you help them out there's a lot of good stuff for sale. And after a couple of these 'stronghold-level' quests you can tackle the weird sphere in the Slums, and once you've done all this, you've leveled up enough and gotten enough loot that you can pretty much pick and choose what to do then.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I have a routine I almost always follow

- Circus: Pick up Aerie: (character aside, super useful as mage/cleric)
- Den of the 7 Vales: kill the party on the second floor for early gear
- Copper Coin/Slavers: Rush through, maybe not finish but just get Lilarcor.
- Explore the rest of the city to trigger any random events, pick pocket any great victims (Ribald, guards etc.)
- Solve the Skinner murders in the Bridge
- Kill the thugs in the Sewers in the Temple district via cheesing them. Use/sell their gear
- Maybe do the Unseeing Eye quest. It's tough without exploiting the game mechanics early level
- Activate all the major quests, Planar Prison, Trademeet, Underhill, Firekragg, Harpers Hold, De'Arnise Keep, etc.
- Finish Harper's Hold, its major quest EXP for almost no risk
- Pick up Korgan(best fighter), finish his quest early to kill the timer
- Start Thieves Guild quest, get Edwin, best mage by far
- Get all the NPC party members you can in the city to start their quests, deal with them as they activate then move on
- Either first the Keep, or Firekragg. Depends on if you have a paladin, or are getting the exp for the nymph acorns.

After that, you should have enough gold and gear to not worry too much. That's when I start rotating the NPCs to finish all their quests and run the clock on the chosen romance NPC.

Planar Prison however has the first serious high level mage fight. You can get lucky with Insect Swarm or run the clock until the spells wear out, but without any good counters its risky.

By area design, De'Arnise Keep, Thieves Guild, and Firekragg's Castle have major "dangerous fights" that have a choke point or similar exploit that can wipe out a major threat easily. So a major/final battle is little more then "block door, start dropping fireballs and summons"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 4, 2019

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks guys, I'll tackle the slavers next and go from there!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there a mod to turn Anomen into a fighter dual-classed to a cleric of Helm (the kit)? I don't like Anomen that much as a character, but I quite like him as a class and having him kitted out specifically as a priest of Helm adds flavour as well as utility.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there a mod to turn Anomen into a fighter dual-classed to a cleric of Helm (the kit)? I don't like Anomen that much as a character, but I quite like him as a class and having him kitted out specifically as a priest of Helm adds flavour as well as utility.

You can add the kit in eekeeper and then there's a button in there to add the class abilities for his already gained levels.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can you finish the Underdark and go back and kill the silver dragon after?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cheesetriangles posted:

Can you finish the Underdark and go back and kill the silver dragon after?

If I remember correctly you can go back to the underdark. You can’t talk to anyone because the drow are hostile but I do think you can go make out with the silver dragon. Either slay her or finger her butt, one of the two.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

NPCs Enhanced For Everyone (or the old non-EE version if that's your flavor) includes the ability to add kits to NPCs through a power added to each character (and offers a few alternate classes as well during setup).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

https://jezebel.com/jim-cummings-the-voice-of-winnie-the-pooh-has-been-ac-1834527104

Hi apparently Minsc is a piece of poo poo.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Animal abuse?

Poor Boo

Sounds like a piece of poo poo though, ugh

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hoping it's not actually true.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJ9RI1xDDU&t=132s
me irl

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Always kill your heroes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Christ.

He's also in like every Disney movie from the 90s too, as well as Winnie the Pooh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That article also gets some details wrong. For example giving the wrong details about Cummings responses.

A few others go more in depth. https://theblast.com/disney-winnie-pooh-jim-cummings-rape-animal-abuse-custody/

I am hoping it turns out to be a false accusation, this would bum me out if it was true.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Even just the poo poo that he's already admitted to is pretty bad dude, and that plus the two restraining orders makes it pretty drat unlikely to be false.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gah, thats not right!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Apparently that dude is a sadist. That sucks and will make it hard to not think of when having Minsc in my party. I try really hard to separate real world behavior from poo poo like this, because I feel if I go down that road I won't have any video games to play. But this is a bit much. And as someone who has gotten rid of about 100 ants of my kitchen counter by taking them outside and not killing them, the animal abuse poo poo is probably the worst for me. But it's all bad bad bad.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

chaosapiant posted:

Apparently that dude is a sadist. That sucks and will make it hard to not think of when having Minsc in my party. I try really hard to separate real world behavior from poo poo like this, because I feel if I go down that road I won't have any video games to play. But this is a bit much. And as someone who has gotten rid of about 100 ants of my kitchen counter by taking them outside and not killing them, the animal abuse poo poo is probably the worst for me. But it's all bad bad bad.

I'm all for dropping BG2 Minsc from my future parties because there are still some NPCs that I've never given the time of day. (Haer'Dalis)

BG1 Minsc will always be amazing.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

It is all bad. The man deserves serious consequences for his deplorable behavior. But you're going to have a very hard time finding more than just video games to play going down that road.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

for what its worth theres no proof he was doing this stuff two decades ago, think of his minsc performance like a snapshot in time before bitter alcoholism and probably substance abuse grinded his psyche into awfulness.

I think thats much different than if he had recorded it yesterday

and before you quote this yes, this is how I do mental gymnastics to still use minsc

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

for what its worth theres no proof he was doing this stuff two decades ago, think of his minsc performance like a snapshot in time before bitter alcoholism and probably substance abuse grinded his psyche into awfulness.

I think thats much different than if he had recorded it yesterday

and before you quote this yes, this is how I do mental gymnastics to still use minsc

That's pretty much how i'm doing it. I mean, if he did the poo poo yesterday I'd be upset, but would still play Minsc. Otherwise like the post above me said, I'd be entering a territory where I'd have to ignore pretty much all fiction.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yikes I just read its part of a custody battle

i'm not going to think he's suddenly christ incarnate but i'm going to take these allegations with a decently sized grain of salt

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

If it makes anyone feel any better it's not like he wrote minsc.

Seriously though gently caress that guy.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Vichan posted:

I'm all for dropping BG2 Minsc from my future parties because there are still some NPCs that I've never given the time of day. (Haer'Dalis)

BG1 Minsc will always be amazing.

Haer'Dalis is great but suffers from all the AD&D Bard/Blade problems.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don’t know if it’s a bug in BG2EE or not but when I reform party to shift Minsc out to try other folks, I can’t talk to him again. I can click on him and nothing happens.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yikes I just read its part of a custody battle

i'm not going to think he's suddenly christ incarnate but i'm going to take these allegations with a decently sized grain of salt

It sounds like they are both probably lovely people, but if he actually did make unwanted advances, that (for me) usually trumps any of the bullshit she might be dragging him through.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Haer'Dalis is great but suffers from all the AD&D Bard/Blade problems.

I always wound up kicking him after his sidequest because I know he has a lot of cut content and for some reason I associate that with his character being potentially half-assed.

This never stopped me from inviting Aerie, Viconia or Valygar and keeping them until the end. I am not a smart man.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vichan posted:

I always wound up kicking him after his sidequest because I know he has a lot of cut content and for some reason I associate that with his character being potentially half-assed.

This never stopped me from inviting Aerie, Viconia or Valygar and keeping them until the end. I am not a smart man.

What kind of cut content he had? Was any of it in the unfinished business mods? Also, is there any word if, when BG goes to console, if PC will be able to use the controller with a patch?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

What kind of cut content he had? Was any of it in the unfinished business mods? Also, is there any word if, when BG goes to console, if PC will be able to use the controller with a patch?

I think the original plan was to have 3 potential male romanceable npcs, Anomen, Valygar and Ha'er Dalis, with a love triangle situation for a female PC that has both Ha'er Dalis and Aerie in their party. It's not really cut content so much as completely undeveloped content, so it's not in the Unfinished Business mod.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

I think the original plan was to have 3 potential male romanceable npcs, Anomen, Valygar and Ha'er Dalis, with a love triangle situation for a female PC that has both Ha'er Dalis and Aerie in their party. It's not really cut content so much as completely undeveloped content, so it's not in the Unfinished Business mod.

Ah ok. I think I only played with him once in my party, and dropped him soon after. I don't even remember why. He was kind of a nothing-face to me just like the druid dude whose name has been lost to time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Ah ok. I think I only played with him once in my party, and dropped him soon after. I don't even remember why. He was kind of a nothing-face to me just like the druid dude whose name has been lost to time.

Haer Dalis has unbalanced stats for the bard class with 1/2 the normal lore value and int of 15 which really weakens his utility as a 2nd caster. Maybe HLA bard songs make up for it but I've never had a bard in TOB.

Cernd just outright sucked due to problems with the shapeshift werewolf mechanics in the base game. If you bothered to carry him to the endgame his shifting becomes useless as instead of +3 like an enemy greater werewolf the shapeshift only hits +2.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skwirl posted:

Yep. When Black Isle found themselves in a time crunch, they dropped the Valygar and Haer romances because they didn't think women would be playing the game. They thought Baldur's Gate would be a very niche game appealing to a small but reliable and very male fanbase of grogs. Proto-Bioware was very surprised when their games developed a strong and outspoken female fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cythereal posted:

Yep. When Black Isle found themselves in a time crunch, they dropped the Valygar and Haer romances because they didn't think women would be playing the game. They thought Baldur's Gate would be a very niche game appealing to a small but reliable and very male fanbase of grogs. Proto-Bioware was very surprised when their games developed a strong and outspoken female fanbase.

I'm confused, I'm pretty sure Bioware developed all of the Baldur's Gate series with only publishing help from Black Isle/Interplay.