Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

https://twitter.com/monstershockey/status/1117555539049947137

I get at least one more game check!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Congrats! Since it looks like I'll still have a team next season, maybe the games won't be all in January so I'll actually get out there. I don't have any vacation time right at the start of the year.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/1117620630264995841

ahl playoffs: still weird

(iirc in the first round the higher seeded team gets to choose between (2 home, 3 away), (2 away, 3 home), or (2 home, 2 away, 1 home and they pay the game 5 travel costs))

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
also, go CONDORS

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

So Yushiro Hirano got his first AHL point today in his first AHL game. (Yeah the game was meaningless, but hey our bad coach actually played the youth.) I was at the game, and it turns out this may have been the first AHL point from a player from Japan of full Japanese decent who was actually born and raised in Japan. So that's pretty cool to see live. I'm hoping he keeps going because he looked a lot better than he did in preseason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

So Yushiro Hirano got his first AHL point today in his first AHL game. (Yeah the game was meaningless, but hey our bad coach actually played the youth.) I was at the game, and it turns out this may have been the first AHL point from a player from Japan of full Japanese decent who was actually born and raised in Japan. So that's pretty cool to see live. I'm hoping he keeps going because he looked a lot better than he did in preseason.

that's awesome :toot:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:frogsiren: Guelph reverse sweeps London! :getin:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Gulls! I'm excited to go to a 2nd round game for the first time ever.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Weeeee Monsters advance! At least 2 more game checks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FIIIIIIIISSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :coolfish:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hockles posted:

Weeeee Monsters advance! At least 2 more game checks.

Hell gaw drat yes Monsters.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Monsters/Marlies Games 1 and 2 (Wed and Fri) will be shown live on FOX Sports Ohio: https://www.clevelandmonsters.com/t..._prclt=8o6ekdcb

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Nick Suzuki good

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
hey Mage where might the baby Pens have moved to since they are actually owned by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Johnstown? Pittsburgh itself?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
How did I miss this thread? Go Checkers!

Even though the Canes are half-built with our normal roster...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol yeah that's the joys of minor league playoffs, when the team above you starts getting hammered with injuries and half your roster just vanishes

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

lol yeah that's the joys of minor league playoffs, when the team above you starts getting hammered with injuries and half your roster just vanishes

yeah, the Blues are lucky that the Rampage missed the playoffs and thus they could call up whoever they wanted (including Kostin and Walman) to be part of the Black Aces during the Cup playoffs

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:siren: CROSS :siren:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

hey Mage where might the baby Pens have moved to since they are actually owned by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Johnstown? Pittsburgh itself?

Still in limbo. Here is the most recent article about the team. Wilkes Barre Times-Leader: Decision on where WBS Penguins will play next season must come by Monday.
https://www.timesleader.com/sports/741886/decision-on-where-wbs-penguins-will-play-next-season-must-come-by-monday

Edit: the arena board owns the AHL franchise agreement, which makes moving the team harder. They need the league to get neutral arbitration before they can give up on negotiations per an earlier article.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

200 women's pro players are boycotting the next NWHL season

statement via the Athletic posted:

“We are fortunate to be ambassadors of this game that we revere so deeply and yet, more than ever, we understand the responsibility that comes with that ambassadorship: To leave this game in better shape than when we entered it. That is why we have come together, over 200 players strong, to say it is time to create a sustainable professional league for Women’s Hockey.

“While we have all accomplished so much, there is no greater accomplishment than what we have the potential to do right here and right now – not just for this generation of players, but for generations to come. With that purpose we are coming together, not as individual players, but as one collective voice to help navigate the future and protect the players needs. We cannot make a sustainable living playing in the current state of the professional game. Having no health insurance and making as low as two thousand dollars a season means players can’t adequately train and prepare to play at the highest level.

“Because of that, together as players, we will not play in ANY professional leagues in North America this season until we get the resources professional hockey demands and deserves.

“We may have represented different teams, leagues, and countries – but this sport is one family. And the time is now for this family to unite. This is the moment we’ve been waiting for – our moment to come together and say we deserve more. It’s time for a long-term viable professional league that will showcase the greatest product of women’s professional hockey in the world.”

Basically they're trying to force the NHL to start a women's league.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Their fan is going to be pissed.

(Hot take!)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nocheez posted:

Their fan is going to be pissed.

(Hot take!)

Hi, it's me. That fan. gently caress you :mad:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Hi, it's me. That fan. gently caress you :mad:

It was a good joke, sorry :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ECHL/status/1125229986800177154

go the got drat fish

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/WNEP/status/1125424586982600704?s=19

Yay! I still have a hockey team!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grats :toot:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

It's hard to believe that one of the biggest franchises in the AHL would even consider moving. It takes a long time to build a fan base like the WBS Pens have done.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nocheez posted:

It's hard to believe that one of the biggest franchises in the AHL would even consider moving. It takes a long time to build a fan base like the WBS Pens have done.

Minor league teams of any sport you care to name are largely run on shoestring budgets and can crash and burn or move just as easily as some can flourish.

poo poo, look how often ECHL teams change, move, disband, etc.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Minor league teams of any sport you care to name are largely run on shoestring budgets and can crash and burn or move just as easily as some can flourish.

poo poo, look how often ECHL teams change, move, disband, etc.

Yes, but I would say the WBS Penguins are one of only a few (or less) minor league teams that actually have a dedicated fan base.

In other news, the Checkers are 2-0 against the Hershey Bears, hopefully they can finish the sweep this week!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Yes, but I would say the WBS Penguins are one of only a few (or less) minor league teams that actually have a dedicated fan base.

The problem is fanbases sadly don't matter for much, especially when arena lease deals come due. Granted, I don't know who was asking what out of that situation.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

DJExile posted:

The problem is fanbases sadly don't matter for much, especially when arena lease deals come due. Granted, I don't know who was asking what out of that situation.

The interesting thing about this is that we will get the whole details of the agreement on Wednesday, since the Arena board is a government agency. Anything they sign becomes a matter of public record. I'm actually interested to see what the final details of the agreement are.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I would imagine the Pittsburgh Penguins owning the franchise kinda limited their options to move, there aren't many other markets nearby. Before Wilkes-Barre the Penguins farm team was in Syracuse and Cleveland.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh wow

https://twitter.com/bytomdorsa/status/1125442511139483648

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ECHL Conference finals are set. The Toledo :c00lfish: play the Tulsa Oilers, and in what pretty much has to be the first time ever for major sporting events for locations like this, the eastern finals will be between the Florida Everblades and Newfoundland Growlers.

St. John's and Estero are about 2,900 miles apart :stare:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

DJExile posted:

ECHL Conference finals are set. The Toledo :c00lfish: play the Tulsa Oilers, and in what pretty much has to be the first time ever for major sporting events for locations like this, the eastern finals will be between the Florida Everblades and Newfoundland Growlers.

St. John's and Estero are about 2,900 miles apart :stare:

St John's is only accessible by ferry as well. And is in the Atlantic time zone.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Right now the Hurricanes are the only franchise with an NHL, AHL, and ECHL team still in the playoffs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Right now the Hurricanes are the only franchise with an NHL, AHL, and ECHL team still in the playoffs.

Ha, that's awesome. I forgot Florida was their ECHL team

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Ha, that's awesome. I forgot Florida was their ECHL team

I was working in Punta Gorda last year and saw a car with an Everblades front plate in the parking lot. It made me so happy to see, and then for the first time ever I realized that their logo isn't just an oddly drawn alligator, it's in the shape of a hockey skate :pusheen:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Mage_Boy posted:

St John's is only accessible by ferry as well. And is in the Atlantic time zone.

Newfoundland has it's own time zone half an hour ahead of Atlantic time. I'm amazed minor league hockey keeps going there, I feel like the travel costs must be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nocheez posted:

Imagine, if not for Babcock we could've had Leafs-Canes ECFs in every league.