Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
characters aren't real to me until I have a +12 greatsword of planet destruction and +20 crystal plate of "Tab".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

characters aren't real until they join Gozag's pyramid scheme

code:
25037029 rednecknazgul the Cloud Mage (level 27, 159/159 HPs)
             Began as a Vine Stalker Archaeologist on May 6, 2019.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes!

The game lasted 02:25:03 (60032 turns).

rednecknazgul the Cloud Mage (VSAc)                Turns: 60032, Time: 02:25:03

Health: 159/159    AC: 37    Str: 25    XL:     27
Magic:  55/57      EV: 20    Int: 20    God:    Gozag
Gold:   18496      SH: 26    Dex: 15    Spells: 45/71 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   e - +8 mithril axe "Arga" {speed, MR+}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   D - +5 shield {reflect}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   n - +10 plate armour "Libios" {Int+6}
rPois    +         Spirit   +   h - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   y - scarf {rC+ rF+}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   H - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
rMut     +                      l - +2 pair of boots {Fly}
MR       +++++                  u - amulet "Rilips" {Reflect rC+ MP+9 SH+4}
Stlth    ..........             v - ring of Aneujuof {rF+ rN+ MR+ MP+9}
HPRegen  2.16/turn              a - ring of Ryfuexus {rPois rN+ SInv}
MPRegen  0.35/turn

@: flying, slightly contaminated, regenerating, studying Axes, deflect missiles
A: fangs 3, regeneration 2, magic shield, antimagic bite, no device heal 3, rot
immunity
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer
a: Release Permanent Buffs, Potion Petition, Call Merchant, Bribe Branch,
Renounce Religion, Stop Flying
Just barely under 60000 turns. I definitely could have saved a lot of time if I didn't have a phobia of going into Tomb with less than 20000 gold for potion petitioning.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goddamn, what a score! So much for my top three!

...still top 5 though.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Man, Kiku not giving animate dead or animate skeleton is always such a bummer I know Simulcrium is also real good but it takes a lot longer to get going and it tends to just feel like I get kinda cheated when it happens.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

PMush Perfect posted:

Goddamn, what a score! So much for my top three!

...still top 5 though.

Me too. Noone do any ziggurats or 15 rune shenanigans until I get necromutation on my DSAc ok?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
So I haven't played or won in ages. Since I got the fencers gloves in my box what weapon type should I go?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Something two-handed and heavy, preferably vampiric to balance out the times your dodge fails you. Alternatively go long-blade to double up on riposte chances.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Captainsalami posted:

So I haven't played or won in ages. Since I got the fencers gloves in my box what weapon type should I go?

Short answer: A non-Long Blade.

Long answer: Long Blades come with riposte by default, I don't think they stack, so using a Long Blade (that isn't a game winning one by default) is counterproductive. Ripostes can trigger weapon effects, so something nifty (Arc Blade, distortion, vampirism) can trigger really quick if you're surrounded. Make sure you have a bit of EV, since riposte only triggers on dodging a hit, not blocking or just armor tanking it.

Comedy answer: Grab an amulet of the acrobat and the dark maul. Don't intentionally swing at people. The dark maul is slow but ripostes are instant.

edit: if the gloves and the sword stack, I'm going to feel real dumb every time I went "I don't need those gloves, I have a long blade".

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

redneck nazgul posted:

Just barely under 60000 turns. I definitely could have saved a lot of time if I didn't have a phobia of going into Tomb with less than 20000 gold for potion petitioning.

You really made up a lot of time in extended though, you got to Lair pretty slowly compared to your end turns and also had to back track to slime. Decent run for the server overall, actually.

redneck nazgul posted:

edit: if the gloves and the sword stack, I'm going to feel real dumb every time I went "I don't need those gloves, I have a long blade".

Prepare to feel retroactively dumb, because they stack. 66% instead of 33%. Used to be 100/50. Maybe it still should be.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Araganzar posted:

You really made up a lot of time in extended though, you got to Lair pretty slowly compared to your end turns and also had to back track to slime. Decent run for the server overall, actually.

Prepare to feel retroactively dumb, because they stack. 66% instead of 33%. Used to be 100/50. Maybe it still should be.

I think part of that is going in with the standard route I usually follow and then realizing "Wait, I could do this way faster". My usual route is a lot of backtracking and grossly underestimating my actual equipment.

And wow, I feel really dumb. Reaaaaally dumb, especially all the times I had both Singing Sword and Fencing Gloves.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Message received, sword time. Also a dodgy mino feels weird.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captainsalami posted:

Also a dodgy mino feels weird.
It's probably like a Taurus Demon, the "dodging" is mostly just you making them get out of the way when you move.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I wonder what the "best" start for a 15 rune high score would be, I'd guess an archeologist getting a singing sword from the box would be extremely far up there.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Main branch is pretty clear that DDBe is the most effective for lowest turn count because of the combination of massive damage, damage shaving, and easy access to regeneration, MR and a dangerous distraction.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Einwand posted:

I wonder what the "best" start for a 15 rune high score would be, I'd guess an archeologist getting a singing sword from the box would be extremely far up there.

Singing Sword
Arga or Arc Blade
Zephyr or Penetrator
Elemental Staff

in that order, I think. Zephyr and Penetrator are arguable just because you're required to go Okawaru for the first chunk of the game in order to have a good ammo supply. Elemental Staff falls behind in the damage department but you're covering so many resists and defenses that I feel obligated to mention it.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

redneck nazgul posted:

Singing Sword
Arga or Arc Blade
Zephyr or Penetrator
Elemental Staff

in that order, I think. Zephyr and Penetrator are arguable just because you're required to go Okawaru for the first chunk of the game in order to have a good ammo supply. Elemental Staff falls behind in the damage department but you're covering so many resists and defenses that I feel obligated to mention it.

Elemental Staff was my go to weapon in my 15 runer, and lasted for me all the way up through Tomb.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’ve submitted a pull request to change blade of disaster to level 5 and add it to the books of power and enchantments. At least I hope I have! Every time I mess with Crawl I feel like I have to learn a bunch of basic stuff with git all over again from the beginning. I’ll probably also submit one to add a reaver background that starts with blade of disaster (but does not add the spell to the book of enchantments) tomorrow

I’m submitting two pull separate patches just because adding a new background might seem like too much of a change to implement without a thread vote. However, I think it would be fine to add it on a temporary basis to let people test the spell, and a vote can be held later regarding whether the changes should be kept. Of course, it’s up to Floodkiller which pull request to accept and whether to do it with or without a vote.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Einwand posted:

Wyrmbane

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Einwand posted:

Formicid anything really. Shaft is hella useful in doing levels quickly if you have a need for speed. VS also spend less time waiting around healing, and theoretically a good DD doesn't wait around healing at all.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Don't put it in Power, there's too much stuff in Power as it is. Make some new books already.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pmush’s Miscellany

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Things That Can Go Terribly Wrong Real Quick

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is there even really a point in having pregen books anymore except for the very few that classes start with? Randart books have pretty much taken over my game anyway, it's all that ever seems to spawn anymore. More refined randart mechanics that are more likely to give you randart books grouped by theme, type or level seem like a better investment.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Minor gripe: Why do tarentellas have melee confusion that's unresistable by anything but the clarity mut? I feel like that must have been put in back when clarity amulets existed, and was just never thought about too much after they got removed.

It's not particularly deadly, just annoying and a baffling design decision.

Cardiovorax posted:

Is there even really a point in having pregen books anymore except for the very few that classes start with? Randart books have pretty much taken over my game anyway, it's all that ever seems to spawn anymore. More refined randart mechanics that are more likely to give you randart books grouped by theme, type or level seem like a better investment.
They're 'all that ever seem to spawn' because you're likely overlooking all the pregen books you're not autopickup-ing since you've had them already.

That said, it's nice for flavor(the book of party tricks is literally wizard party tricks, that owns.) and it's handy to have some preset books where you know everything in it will be useful for your char(especially melee chars, who would rather just pick up/buy a Book of Battle than get the same spells spread across 2-4 randart books).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Haifisch posted:

They're 'all that ever seem to spawn' because you're likely overlooking all the pregen books you're not autopickup-ing since you've had them already.
I habitually item-search for books every so often just because this actually did use to happen to me a lot and I wanted to have all of the books, so I'm fairly certain this isn't it. I was exaggerating there a little bit, but the RNG does seem weighted towards them.

I don't really think this is a bad thing, mind you. The pre-gen books don't really add anything specific to the game in and of themselves, except for a halfway funny joke or two. If it was up to a choice between improving the generation process for randart books and manually typing up more pregens, I'd be all in favour of the randarts. It's more future-proof.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

IIRC tarantellas confusion was meant to spice up spider as a little gotcha despite having high MR. I believe entropy weavers were introduced at the same time

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bogart posted:

Pmush’s Miscellany
Aww, I'm flattered. Why me, though?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

redneck nazgul posted:

And wow, I feel really dumb. Reaaaaally dumb, especially all the times I had both Singing Sword and Fencing Gloves.

It's okay back in the CSZO days I'm about to die to Mara and I look down and the whole spectator chat is yelling at me that I'm hitting him with bread rations.

So with Linux in Win 10 now should I try to build the game from source there? Has anyone who's gotten it working in windows tell me the best of the various suggested methods to do so? I've posted pull requests for basically data changes (artefact data and crab language) but I need to be able to build from source to test stuff like rat cloak dropping rats randomly.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Like WSL? I'm not sure there I got the MSYS2/MinGW method working on pure windows. That was relatively straightforward just following the release docs

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have WSL working since before this new update and getting the game run (the Linux part of the guide + you have to install Xming on Windows if you want tiles but that's just a regular program) and building the game is extremely painless and works great.

Then again Linux is my daily bread at work so that might be why it's infinitely preferable to any of the more windows native options.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Haifisch posted:

Minor gripe: Why do tarentellas have melee confusion that's unresistable by anything but the clarity mut?

As stated above, it was to give Spider's Nest a little more bite, if you will. Initially it had little going for it other than King Scorpions, the moths-that-are-assholes, and I think demonic crawlers were in there already too; this meant that the first few levels tended to be trivial if you were able to get through lair to reach it in the first place, with the vault level being a heinously deceptive spike in difficulty most playthroughs.

It is also a cool and flavorful reference to the Tarentella, a hysterical dancing mania associated with spiderbites, which lends its name to a dance form still in practice today. I would want Tarantulas to stay around in their current form because they're amusing and a unique threat, but I could at least understand an argument to make their bite resistable via MR since the only other defensive measures are 'a single uncommon benemut' and 'don't get bit'.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

They are pretty fragile in comparison to other enemies there; you can kill them in a single hit by the time you reach Spider Nest. I think they're a fair non-trivial encounter.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They synergize well with orb spiders and entropy weavers too because instead of taking out the real threat you're stumbling around or chugging cure. Heck even lightning wasps.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Me when I get confused by a tarentella:

Me when 2 entropy weavers show up and suddenly I'm at -12 AC:

Me when I keep get webbed by the same jumping spider:

Jumping spiders are the worst.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Punk is absurd and nothing about it keeps you from wearing CPA and a large shield so here I am slinging away with 60+ AC

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In addition to flavour finding a curated list of spells from a particular school can give the player an incentive to start training that school and potentially radically shake up their character. That introduces a neat choice and more variance between games which is cool.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There is something ceaselessly entertaining about killing orb spiders with OoD. :getin:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

There is something ceaselessly entertaining about killing orb spiders with OoD. :getin:

love 2 crash my orbs into their orbs and wake up the entire floor with shatter-level noise explosions :getin:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Won a vampire, apparently the way to do this is get a short blade manual:
pre:
araganzar the Spellbinder (Vampire Archaeologist)  Turns: 85174, Time: 06:10:39

Health: 197/197    AC: 38    Str: 16    XL:     27
Magic:  22/30      EV: 23    Int: 23    God:    Hepliaklqana [******]
Gold:   1033       SH:  3    Dex: 17    Spells: 4/57 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis +   a - +5 pair of quick blades "Gyre" and "Gimble" {pierce, Dex-3, Bat!}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   q - +8 fire dragon scales
rPois    +         Spirit   .   b - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+2 SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  +   V - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr    .         Harm     .   m - +2 pair of gloves
MR       +++..                  X - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth    +++.......             W - amulet "Adihu" {Reflect rF+ rN+ Str+5 SH+3}
HPRegen  0.71/turn              t - ring "Duexuofui" {rC+ Slay+4}
MPRegen  0.22/turn              A - ring of Wotz {*Corrode +Inv rF+ MR+ SInv}
Gave Time Stop a whirl, 8 orbs of fire on the way to the Orb gave me plenty of chances to try it.

Saved my butt here when a curse toe shows up while fighting an OOF and some other stuff:
pre:
 You bring the flow of time to a stop.
 You feel devoid of blood!
 You now have 18/29 mp.
 You draw out your weapon's spirit!
 You hit the orb of fire but do no damage.
 You puncture the orb of fire!
 You catch the helpless orb of fire completely off-guard!
 You perforate the orb of fire like a sieve!!!
 You bite the orb of fire, but do no damage.
 You strike the helpless orb of fire from behind!
 You spit the orb of fire like a pig!!!
 You catch the helpless orb of fire completely off-guard!
 You stick the orb of fire like a pincushion!!!
 You destroy the orb of fire!
 A curse toe comes into view.
 Time begins to flow once more.
_The curse toe gestures.
I guess the other main draw is you can hit 4-5 guys around you and knock them all back 3-4 squares. Only used it once on the orb run but it took out a Pan Lord. Glad I had G&G because I found literally zero demon blades all game and one +0 double sword.

This was a pretty easy game, Hep is strong, stuff is rare that can't be confused and sees invisible and has high AC. Hep is also a great early carry god. I was very weak and without my ancestor Laszlo I would never have got that crate open. Had Discord but once again never used it because of fear of berserk leftovers.

Ghoul, Sludge Elf, Naga, Skeleton, and :negative: races left to win for Archaeologist.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm trying my first attempt at stepping into Extended, I got the Slime rune, and just cleared down to the Depths, should I try the Abyss first or should I poke at the Crypt and clear my way to the bottom of that and see how I feel?