Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

redleader posted:

it's gonna be sad when the collapse of civilization finally shuts these forums down

That's when your CSPAM training is complete and you go apply the theory

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

this is accurate, for every time we go around the sun the weather gets worse

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

redleader posted:

it's gonna be sad when the collapse of civilization finally shuts these forums down

katrina gave it a good try didn't she

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yea but the american healthcare system came closest yet

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Georgina Downer, a political candidate here in Australia, just said peoples worry about climate change is "a global fatwa on carbon".

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the good thing is that australia will be rendered uninhabitable sooner than most places

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

redleader posted:

the good thing is that australia will be rendered uninhabitable sooner than most places

Shame about the great accent, though.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

jobson groeth posted:

Georgina Downer, a political candidate here in Australia, just said peoples worry about climate change is "a global fatwa on carbon".

This is from her father, who was once our High Commissioner to the UK.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jobson groeth posted:

This is from her father, who was once our High Commissioner to the UK.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Is there a rough timeline of when things like food shortages and Florida disappearing are expected to happen? Trying to plan my retirement here tia.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Extensive Vamping posted:

Is there a rough timeline of when things like food shortages and Florida disappearing are expected to happen? Trying to plan my retirement here tia.

are you expecting to retire before 2040?

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Socks4Hands posted:

In all honestly I'll probably be working until my grave or hospice claim me, but let's say 2045, 70ish

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Socks4Hands posted:

lmao, you're never going to be able to retire.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

In all honestly I'll probably be working until my grave or hospice claim me, but let's say 2045, 70ish

bad news we're almost certainly hosed by 2040 at the latest. those 35m-750m climate refugees the UN predicts by 2050 aren't going to appear on new years eve of 2049.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Good news: instead of sitting around going senile as your children increasingly loathe your fragility, you can die in the apocalypse as industrial society collapses globally. Way more fun.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1125350704942649345?s=19

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol people ask me what I want to do when I'm retired and I keep telling them I don't really think it's going to matter by then and they don't get it

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The cool thing about being poor and low class is I already knew I would never retire, but thanks to climate change, I also don't have to work until my 70s, because either I'll be dead already or society will have collapsed way before then!

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Sure, but the question is, what will happen specifically? I understand nobody knows exactly what will happen or when, but I'm curious as to how it's going to go down. I'm thinking things like power outages, martial law, civil unrest, and so on.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sure, but the question is, what will happen specifically? I understand nobody knows exactly what will happen or when, but I'm curious as to how it's going to go down. I'm thinking things like power outages, martial law, civil unrest, and so on.

Those are just slightly less vague vagaries

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shima Honnou posted:

The cool thing about being poor and low class is I already knew I would never retire, but thanks to climate change, I also don't have to work until my 70s, because either I'll be dead already or society will have collapsed way before then!
Don't worry, if society collapses you'll still be working. Lord Humungus always needs more axel greasers; deserts are nasty to undercarriages don'tcha know and the benefits are to suffer for.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
fight gently caress and die friend

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Over time everything gets steadily more expensive and you start not being able to always buy whatever you want, either because it's now out of your price range or because there are actual shortages of things like coffee. Weather gets more severe and less predictable. People you know have their homes and livelihoods destroyed by extreme weather events and have to decide whether to rebuild or start over somewhere new with nothing. If you're unfortunate enough to live somewhere like the desert (lol Phoenix, Arizona) then it will become actually unaffordable to live there at all because you'll spend more on air conditioning than you make in income. Every summer you hear about hundreds of elderly people whose air conditioning broke and they died of heatstroke in their own home. Diseases that haven't been seen in your country for decades or centuries start to reappear, like malaria. Diseases that have never appeared in your country before, like Zika or Dengue, also start to appear. Mosquitoes seem to be the one insect that isn't dying out.

Insurance stops covering a lot of climate change-related damage, so as extreme weather events hit other parts of your country and people aren't able to rebuild where they lived, places like southern Florida get abandoned, not from some government plan, but from millions of people individually deciding to pack up and leave one day. The place where you live gets more crowded as internal migrants relocate only to find that life isn't any easier when they show up out of the blue with no job, no money, and no assets to sell. Your wages get cut at work because there are suddenly ten highly trained unemployed professionals who used to do your job in Miami, any of whom would gladly replace you. Your rent goes up even faster than usual because of all the population growth in your city.

The news is full of stories of weather destroying other parts of the world like Mozambique and Puerto Rico, and conflicts breaking out in areas hit by drought, famine, and disease. It's also full of stories about migrants trying to come to the developed world. It never mentions that the two things are connected, and never explores the fact that the migrants are moving because they can no longer live in their homes because their fields dried up, it didn't rain for ten years, and the desert swallowed their town. You notice the people around you getting more and more anxious about migration as their own incomes are getting stretched thinner and thinner and there are only ever more and more migrants. Electorates vote in more and more extreme right-wing figures who ban all immigration, militarize the borders, and implement ever-more draconian surveillance and monitoring of people inside the country as well. You're repeatedly told that if you're a natural-born citizen and not breaking any laws, you have nothing to fear.

Global supply chains start to break down as some regions of the world get less and less livable and some resources get either more difficult to extract and process, or get wiped out by climate change themselves, making prices rise even more and shortages hit even harder. As places start to see economic decline, people get restless and there are instances of mass unrest. On the news you see stories about mass demonstrations and massacres in random other places around the world. But here people are too busy working five gig economy jobs just to afford bread, they're too busy to protest. Governments get overthrown, countries descend into civil war, millions die in armed conflict, famine, and ensuing disease outbreaks. This further exacerbates the millions of people already trying to migrate to the less-affected developed world, but by this point our borders are so hardened that most of them die before they make it here. Deaths of hundreds or thousands of people trying to cross our borders across oceans and through deserts stop even making the news because they're so routine and we're too concerned with our own daily survival to worry about people we don't know.

What you do see on the news are feel-good stories about how a billionaire CEO now flies around in a solar-powered plane and he planted trees on his green roof. Meanwhile our cities are more choked with smog than ever, and the numbers keep getting higher. Fewer people are smoking than ever before, but lung cancer rates seem to be higher than ever. You get a particularly bad cough and you'd like to see a doctor about it, but they cut your benefits at work so you just hope it goes away on its own. The UN releases a report saying that we have three years to act if we want to avoid 8 degrees of warming, but by this point we've read so many reports saying we've already passed the tipping point that no one cares.

All our topsoil is vanishing and by this point even some people with jobs literally can't afford food. But the state is militarized enough that no one really thinks about protest except for the occasional spontaneous riot that doesn't accomplish anything long-term. Facial recognition software and ubiquitous surveillance and tracking means protesting is a one-way ticket to prison, if you aren't literally killed or maimed by the police breaking up the protest. And anyway, even attending a legal protest harms your social credit score and means you won't be able to get a loan the next time food prices spike and you can't afford enough to get through the week. Drug abuse, overdoses, and suicide are all rampant as people lose hope and decide to numb themselves or end it quickly rather than die slow, painful deaths. There are people literally starving to death in the streets and every summer you're pretty sure some of the homeless people lying on the sidewalk have died of heatstroke. Half the food you used to see in supermarkets is just plain gone, wiped out by disease or unable to grow where it used to or the supply chains that used to ship it in from halfway around the world have collapsed completely. The other half of the food is so expensive that you can only afford to buy the barest essentials. The wars on TV get worse as countries invade each other to get at the farmland that remains. Despite the police everywhere, law and order seems to be breaking down in your city, there are enormous waves of robberies, burglaries, home invasions, murders, as desperate people do whatever it takes to get through another day. The rich are comfortably secure in gated communities protected by private mercenaries with tanks and machine guns, who regularly use lethal force to defend their employers' property.

Eventually you die. If you're lucky it's in some extreme weather event and it's over quickly. If you're unlucky you starve to death because you lost your job and bread is too expensive. I hope you don't have kids because they still have a few more decades in this miserable hellhole, while civilization continues to collapse around them. They probably eventually die deaths even less pleasant than yours.

Some humans will survive, even in 15 degrees of warming. Our civilization won't.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Well, there goes my will to work for the day/week/month/year/life

(jk it was already long gone)

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

vyelkin posted:

Over time everything gets steadily more expensive and you start not being able to always buy whatever you want, either because it's now out of your price range or because there are actual shortages of things like coffee. Weather gets more severe and less predictable. People you know have their homes and livelihoods destroyed by extreme weather events and have to decide whether to rebuild or start over somewhere new with nothing. If you're unfortunate enough to live somewhere like the desert (lol Phoenix, Arizona) then it will become actually unaffordable to live there at all because you'll spend more on air conditioning than you make in income. Every summer you hear about hundreds of elderly people whose air conditioning broke and they died of heatstroke in their own home. Diseases that haven't been seen in your country for decades or centuries start to reappear, like malaria. Diseases that have never appeared in your country before, like Zika or Dengue, also start to appear. Mosquitoes seem to be the one insect that isn't dying out.

Insurance stops covering a lot of climate change-related damage, so as extreme weather events hit other parts of your country and people aren't able to rebuild where they lived, places like southern Florida get abandoned, not from some government plan, but from millions of people individually deciding to pack up and leave one day. The place where you live gets more crowded as internal migrants relocate only to find that life isn't any easier when they show up out of the blue with no job, no money, and no assets to sell. Your wages get cut at work because there are suddenly ten highly trained unemployed professionals who used to do your job in Miami, any of whom would gladly replace you. Your rent goes up even faster than usual because of all the population growth in your city.

The news is full of stories of weather destroying other parts of the world like Mozambique and Puerto Rico, and conflicts breaking out in areas hit by drought, famine, and disease. It's also full of stories about migrants trying to come to the developed world. It never mentions that the two things are connected, and never explores the fact that the migrants are moving because they can no longer live in their homes because their fields dried up, it didn't rain for ten years, and the desert swallowed their town. You notice the people around you getting more and more anxious about migration as their own incomes are getting stretched thinner and thinner and there are only ever more and more migrants. Electorates vote in more and more extreme right-wing figures who ban all immigration, militarize the borders, and implement ever-more draconian surveillance and monitoring of people inside the country as well. You're repeatedly told that if you're a natural-born citizen and not breaking any laws, you have nothing to fear.

Global supply chains start to break down as some regions of the world get less and less livable and some resources get either more difficult to extract and process, or get wiped out by climate change themselves, making prices rise even more and shortages hit even harder. As places start to see economic decline, people get restless and there are instances of mass unrest. On the news you see stories about mass demonstrations and massacres in random other places around the world. But here people are too busy working five gig economy jobs just to afford bread, they're too busy to protest. Governments get overthrown, countries descend into civil war, millions die in armed conflict, famine, and ensuing disease outbreaks. This further exacerbates the millions of people already trying to migrate to the less-affected developed world, but by this point our borders are so hardened that most of them die before they make it here. Deaths of hundreds or thousands of people trying to cross our borders across oceans and through deserts stop even making the news because they're so routine and we're too concerned with our own daily survival to worry about people we don't know.

What you do see on the news are feel-good stories about how a billionaire CEO now flies around in a solar-powered plane and he planted trees on his green roof. Meanwhile our cities are more choked with smog than ever, and the numbers keep getting higher. Fewer people are smoking than ever before, but lung cancer rates seem to be higher than ever. You get a particularly bad cough and you'd like to see a doctor about it, but they cut your benefits at work so you just hope it goes away on its own. The UN releases a report saying that we have three years to act if we want to avoid 8 degrees of warming, but by this point we've read so many reports saying we've already passed the tipping point that no one cares.

All our topsoil is vanishing and by this point even some people with jobs literally can't afford food. But the state is militarized enough that no one really thinks about protest except for the occasional spontaneous riot that doesn't accomplish anything long-term. Facial recognition software and ubiquitous surveillance and tracking means protesting is a one-way ticket to prison, if you aren't literally killed or maimed by the police breaking up the protest. And anyway, even attending a legal protest harms your social credit score and means you won't be able to get a loan the next time food prices spike and you can't afford enough to get through the week. Drug abuse, overdoses, and suicide are all rampant as people lose hope and decide to numb themselves or end it quickly rather than die slow, painful deaths. There are people literally starving to death in the streets and every summer you're pretty sure some of the homeless people lying on the sidewalk have died of heatstroke. Half the food you used to see in supermarkets is just plain gone, wiped out by disease or unable to grow where it used to or the supply chains that used to ship it in from halfway around the world have collapsed completely. The other half of the food is so expensive that you can only afford to buy the barest essentials. The wars on TV get worse as countries invade each other to get at the farmland that remains. Despite the police everywhere, law and order seems to be breaking down in your city, there are enormous waves of robberies, burglaries, home invasions, murders, as desperate people do whatever it takes to get through another day. The rich are comfortably secure in gated communities protected by private mercenaries with tanks and machine guns, who regularly use lethal force to defend their employers' property.

Eventually you die. If you're lucky it's in some extreme weather event and it's over quickly. If you're unlucky you starve to death because you lost your job and bread is too expensive. I hope you don't have kids because they still have a few more decades in this miserable hellhole, while civilization continues to collapse around them. They probably eventually die deaths even less pleasant than yours.

Some humans will survive, even in 15 degrees of warming. Our civilization won't.

Horribly depressing but concise and detailed. Exactly what I wanted, thank you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

owns, thanks for the effort post

Hail Satan

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:59 on May 6, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's go Cowboys love the Cowboys

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

The state will absolutely not be able to maintain the monopoly of violence if food gets too expensive. The cops and military have to eat too. If professionals can't afford food, neither can they.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
If that poo poo is true, then why are any of you working still (except to fund your resilient commune or bolthole or whatever)?

Because when I read things like that, it makes me want to cash out some of my retirement, buy a van or RV, and commune with nature while I still can instead of putting up with my boss in the hopes of staying on track with my career.

Seriously though, I'm very close to cutting all my spending down to the bone, figuring out how much money I need to literally survive, and loving off into the woods or somewhere beautiful because that's what recharges me and I won't want to live if that's not there anymore anyways. Sure it'll gently caress my resume, but if the timelines we're talking about are real that doesn't matter.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

replace the op of every climate change thread with that

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

and there's nothing we can do lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dream9!bed!! posted:

If that poo poo is true, then why are any of you working still (except to fund your resilient commune or bolthole or whatever)?

Because when I read things like that, it makes me want to cash out some of my retirement, buy a van or RV, and commune with nature while I still can instead of putting up with my boss in the hopes of staying on track with my career.

Seriously though, I'm very close to cutting all my spending down to the bone, figuring out how much money I need to literally survive, and loving off into the woods or somewhere beautiful because that's what recharges me and I won't want to live if that's not there anymore anyways. Sure it'll gently caress my resume, but if the timelines we're talking about are real that doesn't matter.

Admiral Ray posted:

The state will absolutely not be able to maintain the monopoly of violence if food gets too expensive. The cops and military have to eat too. If professionals can't afford food, neither can they.

and then I become a raider

quote:

Seriously though, I'm very close to cutting all my spending down to the bone, figuring out how much money I need to literally survive, and loving off into the woods or somewhere beautiful because that's what recharges me and I won't want to live if that's not there anymore anyways.

you should just do this anyway if that's what you want to do

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redleader posted:

and there's nothing we can do lmao

plenty of things could be done but that would be unethical

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

vyelkin posted:

also, and i cannot stress this enough, at some point the forums will become intermittently unavailable then permanently shut down. posting shortages will devastate what remains of your mental health

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
honestly woe to my local community when I can't poo poo post 16 hours a day

gonna graf "IM GAY" on everything I can and that'll be day 1

Akilles
Dec 29, 2008

redleader posted:

also, and i cannot stress this enough, at some point the forums will become intermittently unavailable then permanently shut down. posting shortages will devastate what remains of your mental health

Civilization is just 3 missed poo poo posts away from revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

hosed our way into this mess

might as well gently caress our way out

which means geoengineering

but also literal loving bc we might as well get some public orgies going in case that doesn't work or makes things worse somehow