Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

All the White Walker poo poo became cut content when they realized they could launch a pre-sequel based around it. I'm sure someone pitched them going in this direction because it will feed interest into whatever comes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As Nero Danced posted:

I can't help but think they forgot to digitally insert a bunch of unsullied in the background of Dany standing outside the gate. There were more archers than there were unsullied, and they had the entire wall lined with ballistas trained on Drogon in the background.

They're either lazy, stupid, or both (my money's on #3).

I believe that scene was meant to be a parlay and Dany only showed up with a small guard

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a reason Jon isn't parading around "I forsake all titles in season 1" to get everyone to shut up about it already

I mean, they won't, but that seems like something that'd come up

I think the loophole was his oaths only bound him until death.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Dany gets Jon killed after his secret spreads -> Arya wears Jons face -> Arya kills Dany as Jon because why not

Mountain kills Arya thinking its Jon -> Hound kills Mountain in Cleganebowl

Jamie kills Cersei -> Euron kills Jamie -> Euron tries to take throne

Bronn kills Euron and becomes new king

Oh and Qyburn kills Tyrion and then Qyburn and Varys high five and go off to have adventures

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TulliusCicero posted:

"Mad Queen" Dany if they decide to go this route is extremely loving stupid because Cersei and Euron deserve to die yesterday, and Dany just watched a creature she raised from birth and her best friend get killed by her, she has every right to be loving pissed. Like Aerys Targaryen started burning people alive for the fun of it, Dany is loving furious that Cersei keeps killing people she cares about and her allies: there is no comparison for their motives.

I really hope they don't try to do some stupid poo poo where Jon has to kill out of control Dany because that is just loving weak and makes her entire character arc pointless.
Describe daneros' character arc after season 1 for me, if you dont mind.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TulliusCicero posted:

"Mad Queen" Dany if they decide to go this route is extremely loving stupid because Cersei and Euron deserve to die yesterday, and Dany just watched a creature she raised from birth and her best friend get killed by her, she has every right to be loving pissed. Like Aerys Targaryen started burning people alive for the fun of it, Dany is loving furious that Cersei keeps killing people she cares about and her allies: there is no comparison for their motives.

I really hope they don't try to do some stupid poo poo where Jon has to kill out of control Dany because that is just loving weak and makes her entire character arc pointless.

That's exactly what they're going to do. They need to make her Dragon Hitler so twitter doesnt go rabid when they kill her off so Jon can take over.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think the worst character in this show now is Euron. They had no time to develop him in a cool way like the books so he just plays as Horny Pirate x Mary Sue hybrid villain.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Also guaranteed Cleganebowl will be poo poo because the Mountain isn't his brother anymore, he's essentially a zombie and the Hound will realise this and lose any desire to get his revenge. The line "my brother died a long time ago" or "that isn't my brother" or some other cliche bullshit will be uttered by him.

Hell they'll probably neuter him even more than they have and have him mercy kill his brother out of pity. It won't be the epic clash we all want to see.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean, she's there to invade with her robot army and horrible nightmare beasts. I'm sure she's angry people are fighting back, but you kinda have to expect it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

an skeleton posted:

I think the worst character in this show now is Euron. They had no time to develop him in a cool way like the books so he just plays as Horny Pirate x Mary Sue hybrid villain.

loving this

Everyone complains about Ramsay Bolton's dumbass 20 good men but he also lost sometimes. From what I've seen Euron can just summon his fleet whenever he wants at any sea in Westeros and automatically gets to kill or capture people in his "brilliant" ambushes

The poo poo the dude does is ridiculous

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You could a lot better because you've got a war for succession on your hands when he dies and if he names a heir that people don't like, that person is getting killed so they can't inherit and then that starts another snowball war going too.

If you have a monarchy as government, you kinda need to be able to make heirs to make succession clear.

Merlings live like 500 years, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

an skeleton posted:

Ya know what? I agree with this. As someone who likes the show and even still likes Dany, Euron is an actual bad character and honestly if you have to apply the mary sue title to anyone, it's him, even though he's the villain. He just kind of shows up one day in the show and then things just keep working out for him

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

TulliusCicero posted:

loving this

Everyone complains about Ramsay Bolton's dumbass 20 good men but he also lost sometimes. From what I've seen Euron can just summon his fleet whenever he wants at any sea in Westeros and automatically gets to kill or capture people in his "brilliant" ambushes

The poo poo the dude does is ridiculous

Yeah they hosed up Euron. He's a very different character in the books. When they adapted his character from the book they actually merged him with another character, Victarion Greyjoy, his brother. But these two characters are almost total opposites and actually hate each other in the books. They took the worst aspects of both characters and combined them into one awful character, plus tossed in a fair dosage of their own stupidity to flesh out the rest of this shallow sorry excuse of a person with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Sulphagnist posted:

I wonder if they are going to touch on the theme of magic coming back with the dragons - with the Night King and the remaining Children of the Forest gone and now the dragons almost all gone too, and Melisandre as well, will magic disappear for good? The fleet armed with Scorpions as a metaphor for technology and the modern overcoming magic and the ancient?

Nah, I doubt D&D even remember that thematic element.

pretty sure in an interview somewhere the lead writers for this said that themes are for children

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

You see, the problem is that not enough women in real life are sexually assaulted. Because, as I've learned from HBO's Game of Thrones, that's the only way women only develop and grow into leaders. If only we had more sexual assault, we'd have more women with the necessary character to write or direct episodes of HBO's Game of Thrones.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ha ha, you wouldnt even want to know me before I was raped. I was so naive!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TulliusCicero posted:

just loving weak and makes her entire character arc pointless.

Welcome to season 8! This is the entire approach for the writers!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

Yeah they hosed up Euron. He's a very different character in the books. When they adapted his character from the book they actually merged him with another character, Victarion Greyjoy, his brother. But these two characters are almost total opposites and actually hate each other in the books. They took the worst aspects of both characters and combined them into one awful character, plus tossed in a fair dosage of their own stupidity to flesh out the rest of this shallow sorry excuse of a person with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

To be fair the big complaint about Euron in the books was that he’s supposed to be worse than the the Boltons and that each progressive villain was just more and more cruel/evil than the last one with nothing else interesting about them. So I think that’s why they toned him down...but they forgot to actually make anything interesting about him.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lmao at Sansa's character arc after this last episode too. "actually it was good that I was raped" - essentially

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alchenar posted:

Euron is 'rocks fall, everyone dies' in character form.

Yep, lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hey if people do any dumb loving arguments about Brie Larson or whatever again can someone please PM me so I can close this thread until a new episode airs. thank you

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Starks posted:

To be fair the big complaint about Euron in the books was that he’s supposed to be worse than the the Boltons and that each progressive villain was just more and more cruel/evil than the last one with nothing else interesting about them. So I think that’s why they toned him down...but they forgot to actually make anything interesting about him.

I saw him more as a mystery in the books. Sure he was a villain and cruel, but not in the same way as Ramsay or Joffrey. He seemed a lot more calculating and there was a lot more unknown about his past and what he knew about the lands to the East that no on else had seen which did make him a lot more interesting.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've always wondered why they gave these idiots this expensive show to run when they have such a paltry resume, is it because

Wikipedia on David Benioff posted:

He is the son of Barbara (Benioff) and Stephen Friedman, who is a former head of Goldman Sachs

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Starks posted:

Isn't Euron supposed to be like a charming pirate/warlock dude who sailed all around the known world and has a bunch of wierd magic poo poo, and also a sociopath?

That at least sounds more interesting than the villainous Jack Sparrow/ Mary sue reject we got

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admiral Ray posted:

Olly? Olly literally committed mutiny and murdered Jon. These are not remotely comparable.

Randyll Tarly betrayed the Tyrells, leading to the death of Olenna and the destruction of her house, the loss of a significant chunk of the forces allied with Dany, and Cersei getting the money she needed to hire the Golden Company, which is the only reason she's still in the game. They're not comparable because Randyll was far, far worse than Olly in both personal actions and the effects those actions have had.

His son didn't deserve to die, but he insisted on it and his name was "Dickon" so whatever.

Also, echoing the complaints that Euron is awful and basically the return of Ramsay but with less on-screen rape and stuff. D&D loving suck.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nobody else gonna talk about how Bronn reloads a crossbow like its a loving shotgun?

And somehow without the lever. Just shoot, and stick another quarrel in.

Eugh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gianthogweed posted:

We talk about this constantly ITT so you probably dont' have to explain it. Most of us read the books.

But show Euron isn't even as interesting as Victarion. There's nothing to him beyond "I wanna gently caress da queen!" and being able to do anything imaginable involving ships. There is no fleshing out, he's paper thin. That's the biggest issue.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

TrixR4kids posted:

That's fine and all but he just seems like a total waste of potential as a character. I suppose he isn't the only one at this point but imo he stands out in that regard.

Bran's arc ended last week since it was all about the Others even though he didn't do anything last week. There were spoilers last year which had a lot of stuff right about the battle in Winterfell, includin Bran in Godswood as bait. Though he was with Meera and not Theon in those spoilers and ended up watging the undead dragon before finally dying.

It's safe to say Bran won't be seen again or will just say one or two senteces which won't amount to anything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The actor playing Euron just comes across like a nice dude, really. It's hard to believe he's doing the things he's doing. Whereas Ramsay was very clearly a monster hiding behind a thin veneer of friendliness which just made him scarier.

If they wanted to nail Euron they needed to find someone who could pull off a seriously sinister look. If they wanted to nail Victarion they needed a god drat viking. Instead they went with a teddy bear.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Isn't Euron supposed to be like a charming pirate/warlock dude who sailed all around the new world and has a bunch of wierd magic poo poo, and also a sociopath?

That at least sounds more interesting than the villainous Jack Sparrow/ Mary sue reject we got

I don’t remember anything charming about him, and the quick summaries I just read confirm that. I remember it as basically “oh you thought Bolton rapes and tortures? This guy really rapes and tortures, and also kills his whole family”. I do agree that even with that painfully GRRMy characterization he is somehow even worse in the show by being so bland.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Steve2911 posted:

The actor playing Euron just comes across like a nice dude, really. It's hard to believe he's doing the things he's doing. Whereas Ramsay was very clearly a monster hiding behind a thin veneer of friendliness which just made him scarier.

If they wanted to nail Euron they needed to find someone who could pull off a seriously sinister look. If they wanted to nail Victarion they needed a god drat viking. Instead they went with a teddy bear.

I kinda feel bad for the actor because you have to think he probably gets a bunch of hate and it's not his fault the writers are such hacks and he can't make up for that

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Roland Jones posted:

Randyll Tarly betrayed the Tyrells, leading to the death of Olenna and the destruction of her house, the loss of a significant chunk of the forces allied with Dany, and Cersei getting the money she needed to hire the Golden Company, which is the only reason she's still in the game. They're not comparable because Randyll was far, far worse than Olly in both personal actions and the effects those actions have had.

His son didn't deserve to die, but he insisted on it and his name was "Dickon" so whatever.

That's not why Dany killed them. She killed them because they didn't kneel and because Daenerys, in her words, isn't in Westeros to put people in chains.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If there's one thing I like about Euron, it's that his actor seems to be having an absolute blast. Plus he killed a few Sand Snakes, so that's cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All the shows villains are just having a blast so it's hard to hate them that much, dick torture aside

E: Crow Jane gets it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Euron's actor is not the problem. Ok the character would be funnier if he were absolutely hideous but that's not his fault.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nobody else gonna talk about how Bronn reloads a crossbow like its a loving shotgun?

And somehow without the lever. Just shoot, and stick another quarrel in.

Eugh.

I'm still wondering how he got a hold of the teleporter walked into Winterfell and into the castle holding a crossbow, and they also just let him leave after threatening one of the queen's advisors?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Wave posted:

Euron's actor is not the problem. Ok the character would be funnier if he were absolutely hideous but that's not his fault.

Oh 100%. I just think it's a shame that the didn't even get the basics of what the fucker looked like right.

I can't really think of anyone in the first three seasons who looks hugely different to how they're described. Jorah a bit but he's well cast otherwise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

She doesn't but I like to think Cersei plans to keep her word to Euron with the point being the south is uniting and the north is taking a huge poo poo

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm still sad we never got loveable psycho/idiot Victarion.

A Dance with Dragons posted:

"All of my brother, Euron's, gifts have a trap in them. I have to be careful he doesn't figure out that I'm planning to betray him" said Victarion to his slave-girl, a gift from his brother, Euron, and who totally can't speak, trust us on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Steve2911 posted:

It's funny that you see him like this, because to me I think they nailed the pervert sailor with him. They make him look like the guy you'd wake up and find drunkenly groping the wooden mermaid on the bow of the ship.