Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bigsteve posted:

I had similar feelings but would Fury take him at his word without proof?
I'm guessing he's lying but the monsters are real.

Nick Fury is extremely bad at sussing out deception, if the past 22 movies are any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
I bet Fury sees through the lie/deceit but is playing along with it in order to secure what new magic/tech device Mysterio is using to cause havoc. (And that’s the real reason he doesn’t want to bother Marvel or Thor).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If there's not a twist the entire plot seems to be "there's some monsters and a guy comes to help Spider-Man". The fact that Mysterio is usually a trickster who fakes things with sfx makes it kind of an obvious twist, but I feel like in order to play with the audience's expectations you need to actually do something aside from just blatantly saying "this guy is good now" up front in the second trailer.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nick Fury is extremely bad at sussing out deception, if the past 22 movies are any indication.

Who? The guy who worked for a place chock full of secret Nazis? Naaaawwww.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Was Hydra a white supremacist organization too? I can't remember I thought they had an indian and black dude.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Was Hydra a white supremacist organization too? I can't remember I thought they had an indian and black dude.

I guess maybe not, if you want to get technical about it. Red Skull explains in First Avenger that Hydra is much older than the Nazis and that he was just kinda using them and their resources to find the Tesseract.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So its ok to cosplay as Hydra and not get called a racist asking for a white friend.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Shaocaholica posted:

Not explicitly. A black dude definitely was Hydra in Winter Soldier. Sitwell seemed like a mutt too.To be honest, most of Shield was pretty white as well though.

Can't wait for SMG to come after this angle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

I guess maybe not, if you want to get technical about it. Red Skull explains in First Avenger that Hydra is much older than the Nazis and that he was just kinda using them and their resources to find the Tesseract.

Red Skull shows up on Ultima Thule later, clearly indicating that Hydra inspired the Nazis.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Shaocaholica posted:

So its ok to cosplay as Hydra and not get called a racist asking for a white friend.

Only if you cosplay as Bob, Agent of Hydra. He only signed up for the dental plan.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I know alot of people got onto Marvel through these movies but seriously the X-Men, FF, and Spider Man have always been the faces of Marvel. The Avengers were second tier until the movies took off. I still don't care about any of them really, the others are so much more interesting. They don't have to do anything extra to introduce them. They're both big enough and have enough mind share with people that we'll accept them having just always been in the background.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe there's an alternate timeline where Hydra and Ultron team up to defend earth from Thanos and prevents him from getting all the stones.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

MikeC posted:

Not explicitly. A black dude definitely was Hydra in Winter Soldier. Sitwell seemed like a mutt too.To be honest, most of Shield was pretty white as well though.

Can't wait for SMG to come after this angle.

...wait, what? Is that an acceptable phrase where you're from?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

RBX posted:

I know alot of people got onto Marvel through these movies but seriously the X-Men, FF, and Spider Man have always been the faces of Marvel. The Avengers were second tier until the movies took off. I still don't care about any of them really, the others are so much more interesting. They don't have to do anything extra to introduce them. They're both big enough and have enough mind share with people that we'll accept them having just always been in the background.

I get what you're saying, but how will Disney make money if they don't make new movies to sell toys, Funko Pops, and other merchandise?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

RBX posted:

This is the exactly the kind of attitude that caused DCEU to crash and burn. The exact type of hubris that brought about the disaster that was Star Wars TLJ and Solo.

If the MCU has proven anything at all is that you need good scripts and a good plan. You can't just wing it and hope for the best.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As I said you really need good actors that people like.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I liked Batfleck...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RBX posted:

I know alot of people got onto Marvel through these movies but seriously the X-Men, FF, and Spider Man have always been the faces of Marvel.
There's a little bit of distortion thanks to the wave of popularity surrounding the 90s. Like X-Men had 80s Clairemont to thank for keeping it going, then 90s Lee to catapult it. Combine that with the animated series and you just had a juggernaut of pop culture going straight through to the first film.
Spider-Man also had Venom being a big anti-hero, Macfarlane arting it up, the cartoon, and Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man around the time the first film came out.

Anyway, that's all to say that what the public consider to be the Big Important characters/groups can be malleable. Iron Man didn't have much going into the movie, to the point where a few people were like "they're starting with HIM and not, like, Cap?". Assuming that a new introduction will get massive play just because of name brand recognition is not a good move.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MikeC posted:

This is the exactly the kind of attitude that caused DCEU to crash and burn. The exact type of hubris that brought about the disaster that was Star Wars TLJ and Solo.

If the MCU has proven anything at all is that you need good scripts and a good plan. You can't just wing it and hope for the best.

I didn't say anything about winging it, I meant that they don't need alternate dimensions or complicated poo poo to introduce them.

FilthyImp posted:

There's a little bit of distortion thanks to the wave of popularity surrounding the 90s. Like X-Men had 80s Clairemont to thank for keeping it going, then 90s Lee to catapult it. Combine that with the animated series and you just had a juggernaut of pop culture going straight through to the first film.
Spider-Man also had Venom being a big anti-hero, Macfarlane arting it up, the cartoon, and Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man around the time the first film came out.

Anyway, that's all to say that what the public consider to be the Big Important characters/groups can be malleable. Iron Man didn't have much going into the movie, to the point where a few people were like "they're starting with HIM and not, like, Cap?". Assuming that a new introduction will get massive play just because of name brand recognition is not a good move.

Uh X-Men and FF have had movies too, no matter how bad they were people went to see them. Countless games , shows, and other stuff. The movies aren't all there is.

I don't know what the first part is supposed to mean. They had to force feed the avengers for years before it stuck, with Spidey and X-Men, that would never be needed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Snazzy Frocks posted:

dr strange's role was pretty much largely defined by his time stone powers so hes just a portal dude with a bunch of old relics now i guess

Any time Strange needs the Time Stone in the future, he can just use the quantum realm to go back to a point where he had the time stone, say to himself "hey, I need this for about 5 seconds", leave and come back and return it to that exact point in time.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I just re-watched Tag over the weekend and now I can't see it as anything but a retired Hawkeye using his superhero acrobatics to evade his buddies.

I would have realized it earlier if I wasn't so bad at recognizing actors and faces.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Based on the new Far From Home trailer, I'm kinda annoyed.

Simply put, I usually don't like stories involving time travel, clones or alternate realities. Mostly because it allows authors to make a canonical "what if" story that ultimately has no consequences.

Fringe does this but takes the time to show the world-shattering impact an alternate world would have.

Having a multiverse that is easily accessible means the author always has a pool of characters to pull from, including "resurrecting" people.

The MCU has done a good job so far and I don't think they're going this route; I'm just a little cynnical.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

euphronius posted:

As I said you really need good actors that people like.

It's really too bad the MCU didn't start off with Brie Larson.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Based on the new Far From Home trailer, I'm kinda annoyed.

Simply put, I usually don't like stories involving time travel, clones or alternate realities. Mostly because it allows authors to make a canonical "what if" story that ultimately has no consequences.

Fringe does this but takes the time to show the world-shattering impact an alternate world would have.

Having a multiverse that is easily accessible means the author always has a pool of characters to pull from, including "resurrecting" people.

The MCU has done a good job so far and I don't think they're going this route; I'm just a little cynnical.

They straight up resurrected someone in this film. It's fine. If Thanos is the greatest threat to the Universe then it makes sense that the next Phase becomes about the Greatest Threat to the Multiverse. You get to have your cake and eat it with rebooting F4 and X-MEN and choosing whether to keep them as separate stories or part of the MCU ensemble. All they have to do is gradually ramp up a Multiverse Crisis in the background of the next phase of films and not crowbar it into every single one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How many xmens can be recast without breaking peoples brains? Technically none of the main characters have ever been recast if you count the future and past characters as looking different.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MikeC posted:

a good plan wouldn't have ragnarok or iron man 3 immediately invalidated by the movie after it

outside of setting up thanos and the stones 18 movies ago the MCU has been absolutely winging it

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i DID NOT LIKE that tony stark was able to create a suitable infinity gauntlet that didn't require a planet sized forge and giant tirion lannester to make

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

How many xmens can be recast without breaking peoples brains? Technically none of the main characters have ever been recast if you count the future and past characters as looking different.

To be honest you can probably recast any of them at this point except Wolverine and very few people will even notice.

And you could recast Wolverine if you made Patrick Stewart Xavier again.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i DID NOT LIKE that tony stark was able to create a suitable infinity gauntlet that didn't require a planet sized forge and giant tirion lannester to make

Tired: The gauntlet was designed to channel the distinct energies of the stones, linking them to the will of the user by way of dwarven magicks developed through aeons of research.

Wired: The stones work specifically through the motion of finger-snapping, and the gauntlet just attaches them to your hand for snapping purposes.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Brother Entropy posted:

a good plan wouldn't have ragnarok or iron man 3 immediately invalidated by the movie after it

outside of setting up thanos and the stones 18 movies ago the MCU has been absolutely winging it

I guess things are invalidated just because you said so.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

...wait, what? Is that an acceptable phrase where you're from?

Yea. If it is not kosher in CineD I'll refer to them as mixed from now on?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MikeC posted:

if you disagree with me maybe you should present a better argument than 'nuh uh'

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MikeC posted:

Iron Man 3: Tony relinquishes his obsession with defensive technology, represented by the destruction of his suits and the removal of his chest-reactor.
Age of Ultron: Tony has relapsed offscreen, and driven by his renewed obsession, he has built a new legion of automated suits and uses an infinity stone to build a technological supervillain

Thor Ragnarok: Thor is reminded that his power is innate, he casts off his need for weapons, he loses an eye, and the Asgardians are saved even as their city burns, humbled as refugees but nevertheless hopeful.
Infinity War: Half those refugees die like five minutes after escaping Asgard, Thor gets a new eye like nothing ever happened, and he spends the entire movie trying to acquire a powerful new weapon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Infinity War: Half those refugees die like five minutes after escaping Asgard, Thor gets a new eye like nothing ever happened, and he spends the entire movie trying to acquire a powerful new weapon.

This fit really well because Odin sacrificed his eye to gain wisdom like Thor did in a way, then Thor regains an eye and regresses. I think it's cool that it was given to him by Rocket/etc. though given how his character plays out in Endgame.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If "suitable" means killing you if you use it, sure...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Astro7x posted:

If "suitable" means killing you if you use it, sure...

Wasn't using the original gauntlet harmless (to Thanos, anyway) unless you did something wacky like "snap away the stones themselves" like Thanos did later?

Just "regular" using the Stark gauntlet totally hosed up the Hulk and killed Stark.

e: I didn't get why some people were able to just handle some stones though. But I might have just missed something.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 6, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It answers the question if the gauntlet can make a burrito so hot that even the stones would be destroyed by it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sean10mm posted:

Wasn't using the original gauntlet harmless (to Thanos, anyway) unless you did something wacky like "snap away the stones themselves" like Thanos did later?

Just "regular" using the Stark gauntlet totally hosed up the Hulk and killed Stark.

e: I didn't get why some people were able to just handle some stones though. But I might have just missed something.

The first snap visibly damages the gauntlet and his arm is a bit hosed up too iirc

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

sean10mm posted:

It is definitely inconsistent the way the stones/gauntlets are handled.
IW has Thanos visibly struggle every time a stone is added on screen as if he is about to overload or something. The Guantlet is literally a smoldering hulk after he snaps it. Smart Hulk also visibly is strained as he puts the new Gauntlet on before he snaps. I forget how damaged it is afterwards. But it feels very damaged. Tony Stark is just like, whatever bro , though his suit is trashed after he snaps

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The dumbest scene in the movie is when they talk about how dangerous it is to snap the gauntlet so hulk volunteers to do it but none of them leave the room and just put on their safety squints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1stGear posted:

Extremely hosed up that we don't get a single scene, shot or line of dialogue anywhere in about 5 movies of Tony giving some idea of why he's still a gajillionaire after stopping doing the thing that makes him a gajillionaire.

HTH.