Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone here watched the Creep movies? Really enjoyed those, found footage films are kinda getting rare these days but this series seem pretty good thus far.

I didn't know the creep guy Mark Duplass was also the writer, he is such a great actor, surprised he doesn't get more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Tilda Swinton should be Pinhead.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ulio posted:

Anyone here watched the Creep movies? Really enjoyed those, found footage films are kinda getting rare these days but this series seem pretty good thus far.

I didn't know the creep guy Mark Duplass was also the writer, he is such a great actor, surprised he doesn't get more work.

Creep was good and Creep 2 was just great. Duplass tends to work quite a lot but mostly in stuff he has written and directed (horror is a bit of an exception for him). he's done a lot of pretty solid dramas and dramatic comedies. he also was one of the four leads on the tv show The League which is sometimes good and sometimes unwatchable

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's the second time I've heard someone say that found footage films are dying off.

I don't think that's true, is it? I just think if anything we've just seen the bubble when they were the trendy thing being WAY over produced burst so now its just its own little subgenre? I feel like there's tons of recent found footage films out there on my radar and some fairly high profile ones.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

That's the second time I've heard someone say that found footage films are dying off.

I don't think that's true, is it? I just think if anything we've just seen the bubble when they were the trendy thing being WAY over produced burst so now its just its own little subgenre? I feel like there's tons of recent found footage films out there on my radar and some fairly high profile ones.

Two of last year's most popular movies were Searching and Unfriended: Dark Web, both of which were financial and critical successes. Found Footage is fine.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't really know how you make Pinhead scary again to be honest. It seems like the entire concept is tied up in things that were taboo in 1982 but are all reality-show fodder now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

History Channel style faux documentary about the mythology of the Cenobites and the puzzle boxes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Two of last year's most popular movies were Searching and Unfriended: Dark Web, both of which were financial and critical successes. Found Footage is fine.

That's what I thought, I was just trying to figure out if the people saying they were dying were living in their own self selecting bubble or if I was creating my own bubble self selective found footage films over some other trends.

Which is not an insult to anyone. We all self select our own little libraries. There's too much content out there not to.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Franchescanado posted:

they're also thriving over in nihon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Full Moon High was a lot more fun than I was expecting. I guess I should know by now not to underestimate Larry Cohen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't really know how you make Pinhead scary again to be honest. It seems like the entire concept is tied up in things that were taboo in 1982 but are all reality-show fodder now.

Eh, copy the OG Hellraiser formula, where the Cenobites aren't really the focus

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
What's the last good Hellraiser? I remember watching one (probably a decade or more ago) that I liked, but I can't for the life of me figure out which one it was based on the posters and synopses.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I believe the consensus is that the first two were good, or the first one was good, or none of them were good. Berserk is good though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ariza posted:

What's the last good Hellraiser? I remember watching one (probably a decade or more ago) that I liked, but I can't for the life of me figure out which one it was based on the posters and synopses.

Unfortunately the last really good Hellraiser is still Hellbound, which was over 30 years ago.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ariza posted:

Most of them aren't even "Hellraiser" movies; they're just whatever horror script is laying around the office that they then stick Pinhead in for a cameo to hang on to the rights.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Every sequel after Hellbound sucks, but once they realized they could just be a low rent Jacob's Ladder with recycled Cenobite costumes is when it was all over.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Every sequel after Hellbound sucks, but once they realized they could just be a low rent Jacob's Ladder with recycled Cenobite costumes is when it was all over.

That's why Inferno will always be my least favorite Hellraiser sequel. It's the one that was the most derivative and set the bar the lowest, and really for me is the final nail in the coffin for the franchise.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

That's why Inferno will always be my least favorite Hellraiser sequel. It's the one that was the most derivative and set the bar the lowest, and really for me is the final nail in the coffin for the franchise.
I hadn’t seen Jacob’s Ladder when I saw it so that’s probably why I thought it was decent. It’s closing in on two decades since I saw it, but it was pretty derivative of JL, wasn’t it?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Basebf555 posted:

Full Moon High was a lot more fun than I was expecting. I guess I should know by now not to underestimate Larry Cohen.

I was just thinking that I need to watch more Larry Cohen movies. I love Q and The Stuff, where should I go next?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You didn't have to post this twice, but lol. Owns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

I was just thinking that I need to watch more Larry Cohen movies. I love Q and The Stuff, where should I go next?

Full Moon High would be if you want to go more in a goofy direction, whereas God Told Me To is a better choice if you want something more gritty and realistic.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Let's say Doug Bradley was sucked into a BDSM dimension, and the only way he'll ever escape is to recast him in a Hellraiser reboot. Who would be your candidate for the replacement Pinhead?

Let me start and finish this with two words:

Tilda Swinton

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Doug Jones.

Comedy answer: Matt Berry

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Michael Berryman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yesterday I was doing chores and rewatched Legion in the background. It was still bad but as I was watching it occurred to me that one day Doug Jones will be dead and I won't ever again be able to turn on a random movie, see some freaky rear end monster thing, and then say "Hey, its Doug Jones!" And that makes me sad.

Also everyone should watch the "Skin and Bones" episode of Fear Itself starring him. Doug Jones rocks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Doug Jones.

I was thinking about this name earlier myself and would definitely be interested in seeing him get a chance at a big part like Pinhead.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Let's say Doug Bradley was sucked into a BDSM dimension, and the only way he'll ever escape is to recast him in a Hellraiser reboot. Who would be your candidate for the replacement Pinhead?

Let me start and finish this with two words:

Tilda Swinton

Nicolas Cage

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Kvlt! posted:

Nicolas Cage

I mean

he'd make a heck of a recruiter

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Nick cage as Chatterer

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Davros1 posted:

Doug Jones.

Real talk when I think of the description of pinhead in the book I think of the art of Yoshitaka Amano, and how his characters are all slender and pale and effeminate. And I think Doug Jones could really pull off that look.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Nick cage as Chatterer

Jeff Goldblum as Chatterer

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here's an opinion!

Hellbound is probably the platonic ideal of a Hellraiser movie in the way the Friday the 13th Part IV or Dream Warriors are the platonic ideal of their respective series. Like Hellraiser is a very good movie, but Frank's story is the interesting part. Hellbound--as much as it plays off the original--is the good movie that feels like it's more about the cenobites and the box.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I know a chunk of, well, most of, Silent Night Deadly Night Part II is footage from the original movie, but I'm still really impressed with its soundtrack. The new music for it instead of just being there or bad is only ever in the two extremes of extremely cheeseball and Actually Good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

Tilda Swinton should be Pinhead.

Honestly? Yes. The original Cenobite description had a female Pinhead. She could pull it off better than any human alive I know.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Davros1 posted:

They could get the chubby guy who replaced Bradley.

dude looks like Bobby Moynihan

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly? Yes. The original Cenobite description had a female Pinhead. She could pull it off better than any human alive I know.

Get ready for the movie to be boycotted for being an awful SJW nightmare factory for cucks for DARING to have a female lead

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Tilda Swinton absolutely, but I'd like to put in an honorable mention to Lena Headey.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
John Goodman as a sweaty, bellowing Pinhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
A lot of good rec's have been said, but I'd be interested in a Tom Noonan Pinhead with cool voice distortion.

I'm fully in the camp of "less Pinhead is more", which makes Noonan a more intriguing choice. If Swinton is in the role, I'm gonna want plenty of that scene chewing.