Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh, yeah, I hadn't thought of that. So they specifically figured "okay if he can cut this boulder then he can cut that demon's armor"?

Yea, and it all relates back to what Urokodaki says at the start of the episode , like that speech about not wanting to send him to the selection. It's not hugely deep or anything but I think the way this fight reveals more about Urokodaki despite the fact that he's only indirectly involved is cool.

I think if the show keeps on delivering fights like this I'm gonna be pretty happy. Like it was also pretty cool looking lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

should be good on that front since the early fights are way worse than the later ones

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fights have all been pretty dope so far in the anime. Ufotable is in fact delivering on their expertise here, which makes me happy and hopeful for later arcs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah everything about the show is great so far and I'm glad to hear it gets even better.

I miss Nezuko and hope she wakes up after the selection though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The fight animation is definitely a notch above what I've come to expect in TV anime and I'm loving it.

I'm also impressed just with the linework. Manga adaptation have a distinct tendency to simplify and smooth out the art, and KnY's is especially characterful, but this gross rear end in a top hat is somehow even more grotesquely captivating on the cel than he is on the page:

I can't wait to see what they make of spider family.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Liked this ep a lot more! echoing that the water effect looks sick as hell. this show just looks Good and that's enough to keep me coming back until the story starts getting underway. the demon in this episode was exactly the kind of weird design i wanted, the ones that just look like humans with sharp teeth and veins are super boring

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the fights are way way better than they are in the manga and it did a great job with the demon. the character designs are very strong

one thing I appreciate about this series is that the demons always feel like legitimate threats and they do a good job with selling the disadvantage the humans have in fights

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The water effects on Tanjiro's sword continue to be dope as gently caress

This more than anything has convinced me to stick with it. It looks fantastic. There was some enjoyable action plus some interesting mystery and drama surrounding Sabito and his sister, and the nature of this demon slaying club. But I still strongly believe that this isn't the best version of what the show could be. There's still a bunch of lazy scripting and directing.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Is the arms demon played by Koyasu? That voice sounds so familiar

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It most definitely is. The giggling part and the angry ranting part gives it away

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Still mildly confused as to whether the water effects are a visual metaphor for Tanjiro's moves or if he actually does summon water blades using his breathing.

Either way they look kicking rad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

somepartsareme posted:

Is the arms demon played by Koyasu? That voice sounds so familiar
Yes! Holy poo poo, they're keeping with what they did with the first demon (voiced by Midorikawa, btw). So hopefully we can get something like that one joke from Nichijou... but for Monsters of the Week. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ibblebibble posted:

Still mildly confused as to whether the water effects are a visual metaphor for Tanjiro's moves or if he actually does summon water blades using his breathing.

It's ambiguous.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ibblebibble posted:

I like to think he just completely fabricated these technique names on his own while tripping balls in the woods for months on end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tanjiro trying his best to question demons before murdering them is funny and kind of adorable.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tanjiro is a very earnest and good boy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"The hero prays for his fallen foe to find peace in the hereafter" is a well-worn action saw, but it's a good one and Tanjiro did a good job of making it feel genuine. That's the sort of thing I hope we get more of.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ok cool now if the rest of the show could be that good that would be great.

That was a really great episode all around. I loved the thematic stuff with Tanjiro forlornly murdering all the demons. I loved the goofy nerd blacksmith and Nezuko dropkicking the front door. I love the story setups and incredibly unfortunate orange haired guy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh hey the real story is starting! Hurray

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tanjiro's empathy for even the demons is again his best feature and a great emotional hook for the story.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Spiritus Nox posted:

"The hero prays for his fallen foe to find peace in the hereafter" is a well-worn action saw, but it's a good one and Tanjiro did a good job of making it feel genuine. That's the sort of thing I hope we get more of.

Thats usually relegated to a one liner.

Like other posters said Tanjiro is not just a genuine good boy
Hes the goodest boy

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah they made sure to make his eyes as sad and empathetic as possible through the fight at the beginning. It's such a small detail but the kind of thing that makes a huge difference.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/NomiMatsu/status/1121017218576211969

Glad to hear that Tanjiro's VA is also a good good boy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh god, that's hilarious. I hope the zero makes him not get blocked again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Not translated but we have a preview for the villains of the next arc who appear in the opening.

https://twitter.com/kimetsu_off/sta...video%2F.146423

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

God that's hilarious

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

:allears:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
such good boys

Also can't wait to see more bird antics.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd completely forgotten about the gag with Zenitsu's bird lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not translated but we have a preview for the villains of the next arc who appear in the opening.

https://twitter.com/kimetsu_off/sta...video%2F.146423
Holy smokes! Leaving all this untranslated because the surprises are gonna be pretty baller and we don't wanna spoil anything for the anime-only peeps, but yeah. We're probably gonna get another rad couple of vocal performances in the upcoming episodes. :dance:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My prediction is that the villains will be cut with a sword

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I still feel like the story is a tad rushed (Here are three ((secretly four?)) other characters who will def be important later, but none of them are going to talk to nor think about each other or have names right now, just here's your rank, your bird and leave), but i can accept that the Real Kimetsu No Yaiba Starts Here and keep going on.

I liked like everything else in this episode! nezuko just slamming the door off got me good. just wish it would chill a bit

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

I still feel like the story is a tad rushed (Here are three ((secretly four?)) other characters who will def be important later, but none of them are going to talk to nor think about each other or have names right now, just here's your rank, your bird and leave), but i can accept that the Real Kimetsu No Yaiba Starts Here and keep going on.

I liked like everything else in this episode! nezuko just slamming the door off got me good. just wish it would chill a bit

that's how it is in the manga tbf but they did flesh some things out a little more here. the stuff with urokodaki and the demon at the beginning was like one panel and the story just skips right to the end of the test after he dies. tanjiro doesn't meet any other demons on screen and it's just a fade to black with "7 days later"

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i'm assuming there's something up with the organization that binds urokodaki from just going there to finish off the demon who's been killing all of his students off himself

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Futaba Anzu posted:

i'm assuming there's something up with the organization that binds urokodaki from just going there to finish off the demon who's been killing all of his students off himself

he doesn't know they've all been killed by the same demon, just that they all failed the test

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

somepartsareme posted:

he doesn't know they've all been killed by the same demon, just that they all failed the test

His reaction to being told the demon was defeated seemed to indicate that he knew about it, I thought.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tir McDohl posted:

His reaction to being told the demon was defeated seemed to indicate that he knew about it, I thought.

Well I assume he was told most of the story off screen, and was just relieved that Tanjirou had defeated it after being told.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yea Urokodaki knows about the demon. It's why he's so hesitant to send Tanjirou to the selection, and why he seems to be training him specifically to take out this demon. If you're wondering why he doesn't kill it himself, well it's called "the selection" lol.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

an actual dog posted:

Yea Urokodaki knows about the demon. It's why he's so hesitant to send Tanjirou to the selection, and why he seems to be training him specifically to take out this demon. If you're wondering why he doesn't kill it himself, well it's called "the selection" lol.

I thought the Ghosts were training Tanjirou to take out the Demon, Urokodaki was just hesitant cause all of his students died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If it wasn't obvious everyone who passed is relevant at some point but it takes a while for some.

I wish we could see one of them in particular fight because their style so to speak is awesome and is something you'd be like "oh yeah, why wouldn't you do that?" In reaction to. Remember that this is very specifically NOT ancient warring states Japan. It's Taisho era, 1912-1926.