Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I should go back and rewatch Comedy Central Presents.

BUT WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS??

-Judy Gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

hawowanlawow posted:

BUT WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS??

-Judy Gold

Wasn't that Kathleen Matigan?

Why was that on the top of my head?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Billy Gnosis posted:

Wasn't that Kathleen Matigan?

Why was that on the top of my head?

could be, I had it in my head that Judy Gold did it

Steve Harvey definitely did. Hell, maybe all three did

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Mordor She Wrote posted:

The new episode of the Bill Corbett podcasts talks about how they regret alot of the jokes from the previous MST3ks and stuff and pretty much vowed to not do that again.

Though of all the older comedy media like that MST3k steps in it relatively the least. I should go back and rewatch Comedy Central Presents.

Someone earlier talked about lovely mst3k jokes as being 20 years old, but the original series actually ended 20 years ago. It started in 88. Mr. B Natural was 1991. To put that in some perspective. Ellen DeGeneres came out on her show in 97 and it was a huge deal. Bush won the presidency in 04 at least partially via open homophobia.

Its sometimes good to sit down and realize the extent to which the past is just a genuinely different country. It can help make you feel more hopeful for the future...

Until you remember TRUMP and Inevitable Climate Death, LOL!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hawowanlawow posted:

could be, I had it in my head that Judy Gold did it

Steve Harvey definitely did. Hell, maybe all three did

Steve Harvey is garbage and I wish he would disappear.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Steve Harvey Family Feud is annoying because they just set things up for people to say things that cause him to react disapprovingly for 30 seconds.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Steve Harvey is the host of 4 different shows all running today

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What I mean is that he is omnipresent

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

bobjr posted:

Steve Harvey Family Feud is annoying because they just set things up for people to say things that cause him to react disapprovingly for 30 seconds.

*stares wide eyed at the camera*

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

oldpainless posted:

What I mean is that he is omnipresent

oh poo poo he's right behind m

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ReidRansom posted:

oh poo poo he's right behind m

Nice that he was considerate enough to submit that post for you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They just keep calling Mr. B gay way, way more than I remembered. The jokes about a woman jumping around on a scared child’s bed are still funny simply because they notice something uncomfortable that would have been invisible in the 50s, but talking about Mr. B as a sexless man/woman creature or whatever betrays a total ignorance that is hard to imagine now.

I think the reason that stuff doesn't make me immediately :yikes:is because it's still early on where the Bots have some degree of childlike innocence and they're trying to poke some fun at the obvious Peter Pan-inspired nature of Mr. B. But I'm not gonna disagree that by today's standards it's a bit ennnhhhhh.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Arivia posted:

You do know Michel was gay from like episode 1 right? Like sure it’s not perfect but they didn’t just add one out of nowhere.

No they changed that for the revival. He went on dates with women and never mentioned being interested in men until the revival.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-11-25/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-made-a-major-change-to-a-fan-favourite-character/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He talks funny and dresses well so he must have always been gay!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
JK Rowling was a ghostwriter on Gilmore Girls.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

No they changed that for the revival. He went on dates with women and never mentioned being interested in men until the revival.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-11-25/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-made-a-major-change-to-a-fan-favourite-character/

Huh, okay! I always read him as queer, but the textual evidence stands.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They just keep calling Mr. B gay way, way more than I remembered. The jokes about a woman jumping around on a scared child’s bed are still funny simply because they notice something uncomfortable that would have been invisible in the 50s, but talking about Mr. B as a sexless man/woman creature or whatever betrays a total ignorance that is hard to imagine now.

It's funny. I'm gay and I never found the Mr. B riff a problem, even though I was watching circa 2012 on YouTube with little idea of how old it was (I'm British). Maybe I was conceding to a straight person's sense of bewilderment/ horror at this strange seemingly genderless character without realising.

"Liberace wishes he were this gay" will always be funny though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m gay and still laugh my rear end off at the Mikey stuff from Teenage Strangler but it might be because the kid is so ridiculously over the top that it’s impossible not to make fun of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTJq4LHes6Q

Edit: but yeeeeah on rewatch it’s definitely not something that ages well at all, especially the trans/hermaphrodite stuff. Yeesh

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 23:02 on May 6, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

knife_of_justice posted:

It's funny. I'm gay and I never found the Mr. B riff a problem, even though I was watching circa 2012 on YouTube with little idea of how old it was (I'm British). Maybe I was conceding to a straight person's sense of bewilderment/ horror at this strange seemingly genderless character without realising.

Oh jeez I'm terrible. I read that and remembered hearing it said and it just got a real belly laugh out of it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

muscles like this! posted:

At the very least watch "Joe Pera Reads You the Church Announcements" which has probably the best use of Baba O'Riley on a TV show.
I'm hella late to this conversation, but I just watched this and it's one of the purest things I think I've ever seen. :3:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Harry Potter is ripped of real hard from Jane Yolen's "Wizard's Hall," which is a shame because the latter is a much, much better book.
Holy poo poo I have spent years trying to remember the name of this book with no success. :stare:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman was a clear influence, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_influences_and_analogues#The_Books_of_Magic

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vandar posted:

I'm hella late to this conversation, but I just watched this and it's one of the purest things I think I've ever seen. :3:

Yeah agreed. I actually wanted to respond to the stuff about Joe Pera earlier but I forgot which thread I was reading. I watched one episode of Joe Pera Talks With You on Adult Swim's website based on that short conversation in this thread and immediately bought the whole season on iTunes.

It's really, really good. It manages to be hilarious and poignant without crawling up its own rear end

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part is the Alberta Rat War (1950 - Present) is a real thing. Not the play, the war.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think my favorite moment in Joe Pera is the shot of him and one of his old person friends dressed as the twins from The Matrix Reloaded for Halloween.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

knife_of_justice posted:

I'm a little late on the MST3k/aging talk, but to contribute - I agree that Rifftrax did seem to reflect on their jokes and change, but there are still issues. Rifftrax (as a company) is almost exclusively white and male, slanting their viewpoint. At the MST3k reunion show, I remember Frank Coniff popping off a couple "really, Frank?" level trans jokes during he and Trace's short. I was disappointed by that.

Conversely, Joel/Jonah's short - featuring male barbers and hairdressers - had no such jokes. In retrospect, that can be read as a clue to how the new MST3k would go. I've watched both seasons and they have a much more modern sensibility in the riffs (ex. calling out the cultural appropriation in Mac & Me). It'll be interesting to see if this iteration holds up twenty years from now. I mean, aside from the topical reference jokes.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i'm transmasculine, so mr. b natural and the host segment after it are excruciating.

frank was very disappointing. motherfucker, it was 2018! i don't usually watch the reunion past "a word to the wives". as much as i love joel and dig jonah, imo, bridget and mj stole the show there.

new mst has a lot of great riffs like the "white guy checklist" in the land that time forgot.

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 06:28 on May 7, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vandar posted:

Holy poo poo I have spent years trying to remember the name of this book with no success. :stare:
Like the Great Nettle, you too are blind, deaf, and dead.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I always liked the Mike MST3K episodes more and more than that I liked the sci-fi version of the show way more. And I really like the new seasons. The old stuff doesn't really do it for me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I haven't seen it in years (I just happened to think of it for some reason), but I'm going to assume the "Golden Diskette" episode of Dexter's Lab has really, really not aged well. Even back then I thought it came off as making fun of Stephen Hawking for his disability.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Spikeguy posted:

I always liked the Mike MST3K episodes more and more than that I liked the sci-fi version of the show way more. And I really like the new seasons. The old stuff doesn't really do it for me.

:same:, but for me it really hit its stride in Season 8 with Bill as Crow and Pearl as the main villain. I've watched some of the earlier ones with Joel, and some are okay but they feel slower.

I still love MST3K, but I'll admit that they do have some racist, homophobic jokes in some of the riffs (Japanese films, Mr. B Natural). :(

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
TV’s Frank was great but I thought Pearl was underrated and better than Forrester. She was pretty good as a riffer too

I haven’t seen any of the new seasons, any specific ones stand out?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't seen it in years (I just happened to think of it for some reason), but I'm going to assume the "Golden Diskette" episode of Dexter's Lab has really, really not aged well. Even back then I thought it came off as making fun of Stephen Hawking for his disability.

Speaking of classic Cartoon Network shows:
https://youtu.be/X_QieZCEZqA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aesop Poprock posted:

TV’s Frank was great but I thought Pearl was underrated and better than Forrester. She was pretty good as a riffer too

Cry Wilderness was an instant classic.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

^^^ :respek:

Aesop Poprock posted:

cry wilderness, avalanche and carnival magic feel like classic episodes somehow

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Aesop Poprock posted:

She still great at riffing. The ones with her and Brigit (Mike’s wife) are some of the best on RiffTrax.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Aesop Poprock posted:

As far as high quality episodes, I’m a big fan of Cry Wilderness, Avalanche, Carnival Magic, and Mac & Me. Know that if you’re used to the old series the new ones are good but the riffing in Season 11 in particular is extremely fast paced and can take some getting used to. Season 12 is still fast but they seem to have slowed down a bit.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Rirse posted:

She still great at riffing. The ones with her and Brigit (Mike’s wife) are some of the best on RiffTrax.

they re-riffed angel's revenge, too. my favorite riff of theirs is sherlock holmes: dressed to kill

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Not even Gaiman buys that;

“Back in November I was tracked down by a Scotsman journalist who had noticed the similarities between my Tim Hunter character and Harry Potter, and wanted a story. And I think I rather disappointed him by explaining that, no, I certainly *didn't* believe that Rowling had ripped off Books of Magic, that I doubted she'd read it and that it wouldn't matter if she had: I wasn't the first writer to create a young magician with potential, nor was Rowling the first to send one to school. It's not the ideas, it's what you do with them that matters.

Genre fiction, as Terry Pratchett has pointed out, is a stew. You take stuff out of the pot, you put stuff back. The stew bubbles on.

(As I said to the Scotsman journalist, the only thing that was a mild bother was that in the BOOKS OF MAGIC movie Warners is planning, Tim Hunter can no longer be a bespectacled, 12 year old English kid. But given the movie world I'll just be pleased if he's not played by a middle-aged large-muscled Austrian.)

Not sure how this has transmuted into "Gaiman has accused Rowling of ripping him off." But I suppose it's a better story than the truth.”

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm a huge fan of the two Wizards of the Lost Kingdom movies but that's also because I used to waste tons of time watching those kinds of terrible fantasy movies as inspiration for terrible stories in DnD campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which guy from MST3K is the one who is bizarrely super conservative and refers to the Minnesota Star Tribune as the Red Star Tribune
I always found it sorta impressive that I never heard people complain about politics seeping into the show, regardless of people's preference in the Joel vs Mike debate

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not even Gaiman buys that;

“Back in November I was tracked down by a Scotsman journalist who had noticed the similarities between my Tim Hunter character and Harry Potter, and wanted a story. And I think I rather disappointed him by explaining that, no, I certainly *didn't* believe that Rowling had ripped off Books of Magic, that I doubted she'd read it and that it wouldn't matter if she had: I wasn't the first writer to create a young magician with potential, nor was Rowling the first to send one to school. It's not the ideas, it's what you do with them that matters.

Genre fiction, as Terry Pratchett has pointed out, is a stew. You take stuff out of the pot, you put stuff back. The stew bubbles on.

(As I said to the Scotsman journalist, the only thing that was a mild bother was that in the BOOKS OF MAGIC movie Warners is planning, Tim Hunter can no longer be a bespectacled, 12 year old English kid. But given the movie world I'll just be pleased if he's not played by a middle-aged large-muscled Austrian.)

Not sure how this has transmuted into "Gaiman has accused Rowling of ripping him off." But I suppose it's a better story than the truth.”

I always thought that was just Neil taking the high road (I've never heard Neil poo poo on ANYBODY), but fair enough