Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Darkrenown posted:

But the ice demons and zombies ultimately didn't matter, they only got as far south as Winterfell, failed to kill any of the important characters, and all just exploded when the NK got shanked out of nowhere (by no one).

This is stupid. Who's she going to need to parley with after she kills Dany and her Dragon? If she's worried about being killed in the future why would she infuriate Dany, the only other person with comparable power to her? Why would the woman who doesn't care if the realm knows about her incest baby because she's too powerful for anyone to do anything about it worry about "a later parley"? Anyone wanting to talk to her will be summoned to the red keep and will have to shout from the far side of a wall of guardsmen while the monsterguard stands around her. This is the woman who blew up her realm's centre of worship with the leaders of the church and various high houses in it. The woman who promised to send her armies to fight the dead but then broke her word, not only broke her word but betrayed the whole side of the living in the battle against the dead. Oh, and she also sent an assassin to kill her brothers. Oathbreaking, kinslaying, breaking the feudal contract and committing mass-murder, no biggie, but she would never betray the sacred pact of the parley!

It absolutely was bad writing to put a bunch of people she wants to kill in a position where she could easily kill them and then have her not kill them without establishing any reason for her to not to. It was also bad writing to have Dany and co turn up with like 20 soldiers and sit with Drogon, their last dragon and most powerful weapon, in easy scorpion range. They're very trusting of Cersai, who again, just betrayed them, but there's no establishment of why they feel safe doing so. Why would Dany agree to put herself, her advisers, and Drogon in such a vulnerable position where her hated enemy holds all the power? Bad writing.

Who would she parley with? Anyone and everyone who runs the 7 kingdoms after the show if she wins? The idea that after the story ends, everything will be chill is even dumber than my posts. That is the last possible thing this fantasy suggests

Didn’t read the rest go back to lovely dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

If Cersei were to somehow "win" then she gets a continent where every loving kingdom hates her guts and has a small army that can't possibly hold all of it together. It would be perpetual civil war or most of the kingdoms would simply declare independence.

She is also EXTREMELY in debt. What does she sell; the dragon corpse to the Iron Bank?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Now that the ending got leaked is it safe to assume FYAD will spoil it in the coming days? Is it time for a self imposed Something Awful Exile?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Red posted:

Shouldn’t that have killed Tyrion? Or did he die and we’re in Tyrion’s coma dreams
Blows to the brain aren't a big deal if you lost yours a few seasons back.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Who would she parley with? Anyone and everyone who runs the 7 kingdoms after the show if she wins? The idea that after the story ends, everything will be chill is even dumber than my posts. That is the last possible thing this fantasy suggests

Didn’t read the rest go back to lovely dlc
Yeah, Cersei clearly wants to rule the 7 kingdoms uncontested and leave them to her child, which means she has long-term ambitions. Assuming she survives child birth, which she basically has to otherwise what's even the point, she could potentially live for half a century if she got lucky. That's a long rear end time to expect to not need to parley with anyone. Just because she cleared the board doesn't mean it's not gonna get repopulated eventually.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

If Cersei were to somehow "win" then she gets a continent where every loving kingdom hates her guts and has a small army that can't possibly hold all of it together. It would be perpetual civil war or most of the kingdoms would simply declare independence.

She is also EXTREMELY in debt. What does she sell; the dragon corpse to the Iron Bank?

Who hates her besides our heroes? Do the common people even know she blew up the sept? Do they care?

Also she gives tax money to the bank as is established

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is only cause book Varys supports a Targaryen who's not in the show, and they have to get him to the same ending the book will have. Too bad Varys has been supporting this other dude forever in the books, instead of suddenly realizing the Dragon Queen is literally Hitler out of the blue at -2.5h from the end of the show.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But in the booooooooooooks :goonsay:
:ironicat:
This is such an annoying shtick. If you'd bother to read the post instead of being triggered by the word "book", you may have realized what the point of it was (spoiler: it's "D&D have to reconcile each character's ending with what's going to happen to them in the books, even if they'll have to twist the existing material to fit").

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This poo poo is almost over.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

That Italian Guy posted:

:ironicat:
This is such an annoying shtick. If you'd bother to read the post instead of being triggered by the word "book", you may have realized what the point of it was (spoiler: it's "D&D have to reconcile each character's ending with what's going to happen to them in the books, even if they'll have to twist the existing material to fit").

Already read five books, a post is too mich

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

smoobles posted:

This poo poo is almost over.

:same:

Just end it in the dumb way so we can all move on, and maybe wait for the end GRRM clearly forgot

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

It’s important to remember that the disappointment of the fourth book turned a bunch of people into internet hate-wraiths who actively told more people to read the books, slowly pushing them towards the same hopeless wrath that they felt during hundreds of pages about darkstar and Doran. Now that the show is insanely popular, GRRM actually found a way to spread this sickness into the real world by manipulating the low iq D&D into botching their own show, infecting everyone from blue checkmarks on twitter to the nice old lady at your office. He won’t finish the books and when he dies the true long night will descend upon us, the death of pop culture.

We were the wights all along and GRRM is the night king. And there’s no Arya to save us.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

TulliusCicero posted:

She paid off the Iron Bank with the gold stolen from Highgarden.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Already read five books, a post is too mich

Fair enough, I've stopped reading midway through book 4.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1125850073689018368

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ah yes, the classic "lone shot near the rubble" school of drama.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

It certainly played out more powerfully in a certain sense.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

By the way, speaking of the TVIV feeling spreading around the globe after the last 2 episodes, loving Esquire of all places is dunking on GoT :popeye:

Game of Thrones Simply Gave Up in Season Eight Episode Four

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Amazing how effects have advanced so far we can no longer have actors interact with dogs

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Amazing how effects have advanced so far we can no longer have actors interact with dogs

"who framed roger rabbit" a technical achievement never to be recreated

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

wilderthanmild posted:

Oh poo poo. I was okay with 3, but 4 really disappointed me. This doesn't have me optimistic about 5/6.

Well considering Episode 6 is just an Epilogue of the list that George gave them they'd have to try really hard to gently caress it up. Like literally all they have to do is follow the bullet points ........they're going to gently caress it up aren't they?

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Are... are the dragons not cgi?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

SirKibbles posted:

Well considering Episode 6 is just an Epilogue of the list that George gave them they'd have to try really hard to gently caress it up. Like literally all they have to do is follow the bullet points ........they've going to gently caress it up aren't they?

Lol is this confirmed? I figured they would end 5 with a cliff hanger type situation to lead hype straight into the finale

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Vehementi posted:

I'm on the wishful thinking train someone else posted above -- they knew where they needed to be at Ep 5 and have an amazing Ep 5 and had to do dumb writing to get us there. Buuuuuut... it's probably more dumb
I can imagine this happening. Then again the last time I felt this way about a final series was Dexter, and the finale of that somehow managed to blow everyone's expectations of how bad it could possibly be out of the water.

I am genuinely excited to see how it unfolds.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Turbl posted:

It's a practical effect, centaurs in dragon suits

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

"We thought it was more emotional to not have characters interact with each other" goes a long way in explaining the CUT! NEXT! mess of this last episode

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Turbl posted:

The reason the show has so few episodes is because they wanted to wrap it up ASAP and gently caress off on their dragons

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also gently caress off everyone involved in producing this show at this point, they are so up their asses they are incapable of accepting they can make mistakes at all

"the episode was not too dark, you are a hobo and have a lovely tv"
"we weren't saving budget by having the characters not interact with the CGI, we thought it was more emotional that way"
"it was not fanservice, you are an 8 year old idiot who thinks stories should have a theme and you just had your expectations S U B V E R T E D!"

I am going to go watch the Sonic movie twice out of respect for the director being mature enough to own up to the backlash

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 7, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

They're leaning properly into "dany is a loving maniac" so I am totally okay if they deal with Cersei next week and then the Mad Queen is the end boss of the series.

Sansa can do it. Smash her face in. Just. Like. This.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They're leaning properly into "dany is a loving maniac" so I am totally okay if they deal with Cersei next week and then the Mad Queen is the end boss of the series.

Sansa can do it. Smash her face in. Just. Like. This.

Lol it wouldn't surprise me if Cersei and Dany both die next episode and finale is everyone chilling in Kings Landing for 1.5 hours.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That Italian Guy posted:

By the way, speaking of the TVIV feeling spreading around the globe after the last 2 episodes, loving Esquire of all places is dunking on GoT :popeye:

Game of Thrones Simply Gave Up in Season Eight Episode Four

Yeah it's not just reddit/SA/etc, a lot of people are disappointed with how this season has gone down. There was no way to satisfy every one but they've done a good job of burning a lot of good will.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Darkrenown posted:

But the ice demons and zombies ultimately didn't matter, they only got as far south as Winterfell, failed to kill any of the important characters, and all just exploded when the NK got shanked out of nowhere (by no one).

The ice demons and zombies might have done more if the showrunners had set aside more than three hours for them over 8 seasons.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

"We thought it was more emotional to not have characters interact with each other" goes a long way in explaining the CUT! NEXT! mess of this last episode

"We thought the scenes of Sansa and Tyrion fighting zombies in the crypt would be much more powerful if we cut out the entire fighting part"

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Starks posted:

We were the wights all along and GRRM is the night king. And there’s no Arya to save us.

Dont you get it? We ARE the game of thrones! WE are the game of thrones.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Just have him pet a regular size dog then, no one would loving care

Christ

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

Christ

I don't know poo poo about filming but couldn't they just used some forced perspective on a real dog?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

They ever say why the show decided a few seasons ago to only go with CGI wolves instead of the usual mix with practical fx/real dogs? They would've used the same amount of CGI to do the more standard thing with CGI wide shots and close ups of Jon interacting with puppet/big dog. I suppose that requires more planning and hand waving it to post is the simpler course.

I dunno why the wolves needed to get so big anyway. Making the wolves top out at whatever the biggest dog they could use is a far more insignificant change than the routine changes they make from the book.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

Christ

Literally just have a close up of him petting a white rug

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

the last episode is just a clip show between going back and forth between podrick davos and drogon

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Dont you get it? We ARE the game of thrones! WE are the game of thrones.

We're all the throne itself. The seat, in particular. And D&D are freeballing on all our faces.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Chalks posted:

"We thought the scenes of Sansa and Tyrion fighting zombies in the crypt would be much more powerful if we cut out the entire fighting part"

Jon's family's reaction to the fact that
A) He really is a Stark;
B) He's not a bastard;
C) He's been hated all his life by their mother / his aunt based on a lie;
D) He's the heir to the Iron Throne;
E) He's been banging his other aunt;
has happened entirely off screen too.

Much more powerful that way. It's not like these are 30% of the remaining protagonists, or that these themes have been central to the story for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This was clearly written before the show, but it's still funny

quote:

"As a child I looked up to my grandfather. I loved visiting him at his house in the country, spending a weekend during summer helping him with the yard and the chickens, and in return he would cook up a grand feast and tell me stories of his adventurous youth. As I nibbled on a piping hot lemoncake he would tell me about his days in the military. He flew fighter jets, even as technology was moving towards drones. The last generation of sky cowboys. He was proud of his exploits, even though he tried to hide it, like the tattoo on his upper bicep. Every time the ace the words 'wild cards' was visible he would pull down his sleeve. I always assumed it was the name of his squadron. Instead of Maverick he was Ace, his wingman was Joker, King, and so on. I wondered if they skipped Queen but I never asked.

My parents went on vacation one summer and so I went to my grandfather's for two weeks. I'd never stayed that long and I thought I could handle it. But I was growing up, fifteen years old, and I started getting restless after four or five days. I'd already explored the house for the umpteenth time, heard all the stories, visited the neighbors... and my grandfather knew it. He knew I liked reading, so he took me into his large library to find a new book. I had just finished The Hobbit and asked about similar books.

"An old book, but a classic," I remember him telling me. "So it's a fantasy you want?"

I nodded in agreement and he lead me over to a bookshelf solely devoted to fantasy. My bad rear end fighter jet grandfather, secretly reading books of elves and dwarves? I giggled a little bit at the thought. He had everything. Sword and sorcery, epic fare like the complete Wheel of Time, modern urban fantasy, the works. So of course I went for Lord of the Rings.

"Are you sure? The style is a bit stuffy. Probably not what you're used to." I was not to be deterred. I knew what he meant. My generation has no attention span, no eye for detail, no imaginative mind. Thanks to technology of course, but I digress. I grabbed the books. He shrugged and turned towards the door.

And as I gave the shelf one last look, I saw something. A shelf on the very bottom, boarded up.

"What's in there, grandpa?"

He spun around. "Don't you worry about that. Nothing for a child to know. Let's go have lunch," he said and marched out of the room. I tore my eyes off the forbidden shelf and followed.

My grandfather at this point was starting to become a touch eccentric. It started after my grandmother's suicide a few years earlier. He started drinking more, but never when I was over. Gambling, too, among other things. Joining mysterious groups in the city, where likeminded individuals could talk and rant about whatever it is they had in common. Two weeks was hard for him to be away from all this, I guess. So the weekend came, and he was going to go into town for a few days, don't tell your parents, help yourself to food, here's some money, the neighbors are home next door. I was feeling pretty old so it was no big deal for me. The money sealed the deal as well. And he was gone with a hug and a wink.

It rained and so I read all day. Tried to, at least. I got to Tom Bombadil, if anyone is wondering. I closed the book after trying to get through those damned songs and went into the library. I browsed, looking for something else that piqued my interest, but my mind kept coming back to the same thought. I kneeled down, examined the boarded up shelf, remembered my grandfather's words, and stepped back. Then I got a hammer from the garage.

Inside were four books of different color, neatly arranged on one side of the shelf. The the other side was empty. What was the big deal, I thought. They're just books. I picked up the first one. It was well-worn, ink along the side of the pages, the spine bent. Intrigued, I began to read...

The rest is blurry to me. Three days later my grandfather came home to a quiet house. He found me in the library, those books scattered about. Those glorious books. I remember seeing other things as well. Crows and men made of ice, giants and goats. I was delirious, three days of no sleep and hardly any food and water.

I remember this though: my grandfather bellowing and running to me. He cradled me in his muscular arms, and I could feel the tears wet against my face. His or mine, or both. He told me later I said one thing over and over.

"Are there more? What comes next?"

Clear as day I recall his words back, echoing through the recesses of my shattered young mind.

A whisper: "There's no more. Nothing comes next."

Those words haunt me. Nothing comes next.

I was in an institution for six months and got behind in school and had to retake a year. I'd say I was never the same again, but things more or less straightened themselves out. I'm older now, I have a wife and daughter of my own. I've even read Tolkien and respect his work. But in the back of my mind there is always something gnawing...

My grandfather passed away last month. It brings back memories, both good and bad. I guess that's why I'm writing this. A confession of sorts. Something I need to let off my chest so to speak. On his deathbed he kept telling me he was sorry. I never faulted him for what happened. It was my own action. I suspect he never forgave himself, but maybe that was just the dementia. But he said something else. A week before the end he called out in his sleep, "I never meant for her to be one of us." My family asked who he was talking about, what it meant. He whispered "Victoria" and fell silent for the rest of the afternoon. Victoria was my grandmother's name. The rest of the family suspected that he was regretting marrying her or something. Drama ensued. Was it really a suicide? But I knew better. I saw things in a new light.

In my attic there is a safe, padlocked and with a secure code. I know I should throw away my copies. They bring no happiness into my life. But it's hard to let go. I now know what my grandfather felt and why he never got rid of those damned books. Sometimes when I'm home alone, or when I'm drunk and the family is sleeping, I'll creep up those steps and sit in front of the safe. The code sits at the front of my mind and my fingers itch. But every time I slip back down the stairs and into bed without opening it. I know its dangerous and you might say it's a matter of time before something terrible happens again. My wife reads chic lit mostly, and my daughter's been reading Stephanie Meyer's latest quadralogy. The one with the loving leprechauns. I'm okay with that.

Because I never want them to become one of us.

One of us."