Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
From their posting in this thread I'm honestly surprised they're not only a functional adult but one who can afford $5000 worth of charges and cancelled orders on their credit card. There's a 90% chance they drive to Best Buy today and then start posting endlessly about the setup process and what type of batteries they should get for the remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember when I bought my OLED, it ended up sitting at my friends house for 3 months because we hadn't moved house yet. I think that might've finished this dude off.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

It's still probably cheaper to get the WiFi Direct remote from Roku's website than a Harmony remote

You sure that's available from Roku or compatible with the R615 TV? I don't see it there. They may also have removed the RF receiving components in addition to changing the remote.

e: Man you all are being tough on that Gei guy. The shipping company really sucks. Although I've said repeatedly that's a big reason not to buy online unless the savings are hundreds of bux.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 7, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Something Offal posted:

You sure that's available from Roku or compatible with the R615 TV? I don't see it there. They may also have removed the RF receiving components in addition to changing the remote.

I bought the one from the Roku website and used it on my 55" R615. It says "Compatible with: All Roku TV models" I didn't even have to do anything to get it to work. Just put batteries in and started pressing buttons.

I'll share the link again.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The remote just uses WiFi direct IIRC, so the TV hardware wold be the same.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

I. M. Gei posted:

BestBuy.com says Newegg is on their list of online companies they do price matching with, so I think I’m good.

Read the fine print... It has to be on Newegg sold by Newegg (not a 3rd party) for them to actually price match.

I had a sweet Newegg price match lined up but Best Buy said no because it wasn't sold BY Newegg.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

The remote just uses WiFi direct IIRC, so the TV hardware wold be the same.

Thanks guys, I was looking at the TCL site like a dummy, you definitely said Roku site.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Krime posted:

Read the fine print... It has to be on Newegg sold by Newegg (not a 3rd party) for them to actually price match.

I had a sweet Newegg price match lined up but Best Buy said no because it wasn't sold BY Newegg.

So yeah, I checked with Best Buy and this ended up being the case, BUT they still gave me a $400 discount on both TVs, which only ended up being about $100 more per TV than eBays price plus I have the TVs now and dont have to deal with a lovely shipping company anymore. Also the warranties are a lot better. So it ended up being worth it imo.

C8 owns. Picture owns. Assembly was kind of a pain but everything else owns. Thanks to everyone in this thread for yalls help.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 7, 2019

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember when I bought my OLED, it ended up sitting at my friends house for 3 months because we hadn't moved house yet. I think that might've finished this dude off.

I feel like there's gotta be some kind of middle ground because this is also insane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It didnt seem worthwhile it going all the way to key west just to go back to the mainland not long after, and a friend was refurbing her place and has plenty of space. Was during one of those periods where new models were coming out and people were clearing stock, so bit the bullet. I went to check it was ok in the meantime at least.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trip Report: Die Hard looks really good on an LG UHD OLED TV

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask this question:

My new roommate wants to watch GoT on my TV; he has a Crave account and up until now he's been watching the new season on his phone. The problem is, my smartTV is an LG and everything I've read so far suggests there is no Crave app for it.

We tried a simple casting app (I can't remember what it was called, but I think it was the native wifi cast in the LG TV) but it was laggy as hell. Is there a solution for this or a better option?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Mister Speaker posted:

I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask this question:

My new roommate wants to watch GoT on my TV; he has a Crave account and up until now he's been watching the new season on his phone. The problem is, my smartTV is an LG and everything I've read so far suggests there is no Crave app for it.

We tried a simple casting app (I can't remember what it was called, but I think it was the native wifi cast in the LG TV) but it was laggy as hell. Is there a solution for this or a better option?

If you have an Xbox One or an Amazon Fire Stick the apps are available on there, but honestly the live stream quality is absolutely terrible through Crave.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Trip Report: Die Hard looks really good on an LG UHD OLED TV

Die hard would look good playing on a game boy advance screen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lukewarm take: doing 50 rounds of slickdeals arbitrage gymnastics to try to save 100 bucks on something youre going to own for years and years only encourages these shady resellers and also leads to the tv companies looking for alternate revenue like onscreen ads and data harvesting bullshit.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Best Buy is selling the 65" LG B8 for $2700 CAD, the same price that eBay is selling the 65" C8 for. Would it be worth taking the B8 for an easier panel swap if something goes wrong or if I lose the panel lottery?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you care enough about the "panel lottery" to notice minor manufacturing differences in the display then I'm guessing you'll probably care about how the improved processor in the C8 handles frame rates and noise cancelling.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Saw an $11,000 AUD 8K Samsung (Q9 I think?) in person today and god drat it looked good. Didn't think it would impress me as much as it did.

Even my wife was impressed and she groaned a lot about upgrading to 4k.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

American McGay posted:

If you care enough about the "panel lottery" to notice minor manufacturing differences in the display then I'm guessing you'll probably care about how the improved processor in the C8 handles frame rates and noise cancelling.

I'm not entirely sure I'd notice either to be honest

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
65 B8 $1449 in cart after discount and promo code.

New record low?

I'd stick to the C series+ but still a notable deal.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

Lukewarm take: doing 50 rounds of slickdeals arbitrage gymnastics to try to save 100 bucks on something youre going to own for years and years only encourages these shady resellers and also leads to the tv companies looking for alternate revenue like onscreen ads and data harvesting bullshit.

:hmmyes:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I decided to upgrade my 6 year old TV to a 4k. Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I want to sell my old 55" LG 3D TV. It's this model here. What is a fair price to ask for on this? Not sure how in demand 3D is these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay I may need to rethink this a bit.

My viewing distance is maybe 6 feet, going by the rtings site a 65" is going to be massive overkill. It looks like a 50" is optimal for my viewing distance, maybe a 55" max. As much as I dug that 65" TCL it's just way too big for how close to the tv I will be. This appears to be the 55" model of the suggest TCL, should I be aware of anything with this?

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55R617-5...ps%2C165&sr=8-3

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rhyno posted:

My viewing distance is maybe 6 feet, going by the rtings site a 65" is going to be massive overkill. It looks like a 50" is optimal for my viewing distance, maybe a 55" max. As much as I dug that 65" TCL it's just way too big for how close to the tv I will be. This appears to be the 55" model of the suggest TCL, should I be aware of anything with this?

Get the 65. I just got mine and often watch 6 or closer and its awesome. For what its worth Ive always found optimal viewing distance to be BS outside of extreme cases like 100 from 5 away. Which honestly sounds awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Get the 65. I just got mine and often watch 6 or closer and its awesome. For what its worth Ive always found optimal viewing distance to be BS outside of extreme cases like 100 from 5 away. Which honestly sounds awesome.

I mean, I WANT the 65 but I think we're going to do that one for the living room. For the space I think the 55 down here is the better option unless there's some major issue with the smaller size that I'm unaware of.

Edit: Service plans are still a waste of money right?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 11, 2019

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Rhyno posted:

For the space I think the 55 down here is the better option unless there's some major issue with the smaller size that I'm unaware of.

I have the Best Buy version of the 55 and its good OP. It has less dimming zones than the 65 but because the display is smaller you wont notice.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Service plans are still a waste of money right?

If you're a Costco member, Costco sells a Squaretrade warranty -- $99 for 4 years -- that's pretty popular. Need to buy it within 60 days of the TV.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

God the picture on this C8 is loving sexy

I love this TV

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I kinda feel like I'm wasting my E8 by watching old seasons of Always Sunny on Hulu

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

KS posted:

65 B8 $1449 in cart after discount and promo code.

New record low?

I'd stick to the C series+ but still a notable deal.

This puts the 65" OLED below the high end LED screens from many mainstream manufacturers.

Rhyno posted:

65" is going to be pretty insane from 6ft away, IMHO, and not in a good way. 55" is the sweet spot where you can get a great screen for a great price so I'd just do that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

curried lamb of God posted:

I kinda feel like I'm wasting my E8 by watching old seasons of Always Sunny on Hulu

Im watching Adult Swim on mine and its unbelievable. I didnt know cartoon motion could look this smooth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

65" is going to be pretty insane from 6ft away, IMHO, and not in a good way. 55" is the sweet spot where you can get a great screen for a great price so I'd just do that.

So I cut up an IKEA box to the approximate size of the screen and taped it to the wall, then sat where the recliner will be and 55" is definitely the perfect size for the distance so I pulled the trigger on the 55" TCL.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
I'm just curious: has anyone upgrade from an LG OLED B/C6 to a higher year's revision? Is the difference actually notable? I got the B6 about 2 years ago for ~1500 (thanks microcenter), and I can't really imagine what would push me to upgrade at this point besides just dimensions (55" loser here)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So I cut up an IKEA box

I can psychically predict this Ikea box said "Detolf" on the side of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha! It was a Brimness headboard box! You lose!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nah its insane in a good way. Every so often I move the furniture around to get that kind of distance and Im blown away by my screen far more than at the regular 10ft or so I watch it at.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I found a B8 65" for $2000 CAD and I'm trying to talk myself into buying it. Help me with this

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Probably a better thread to ask this, but when I moved houses, the shelves to my TV stand disappeared. The manufacturer doesn't seem to exist anymore, where could I get some shelves for it? About 18.5" by 15".

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
77" C8 $4k.

KS fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

I've been in the fence about the 77 inch c8 for a while and this doesn't help, but the 77 inch models apparently have a power supply problem where it makes a loud hissing noise with dark content. Still might be worth it if you're willing to play the lg warranty game.