Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1126078423816921092

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Even when he's losing he's winning. Can nobody stop this man

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Admitting to tax fraud to own the libs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Admitting to tax fraud to own the libs

I've had to look at some real estate developer records, and he's right. They're all shady fuckers who bury poo poo behind layers and layers of passthrough entities to obfuscate liability and gently caress over creditors.

Trump claimed billions in losses because it made it so he didn't have to pay any taxes.

E: it also most likely wasn't fraudulent. This was just one of the many handouts reaganomics provided to the wealthy.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 8, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

so the piss-addled moron is saying you can add a purchased real estate asset to your sheet, deduct the cost of purchase, and value it at less than when you paid for it in order to create a loss

yo that's fraud unless he's just a loving moron who repeatedly overpaid on acquisitions to the tune of more than a billion 1980s/1990s dollars

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've had to look at some real estate developer records, and he's right. They're all shady fuckers who bury poo poo behind layers and layers of passthrough entities to obfuscate liability and gently caress over creditors.

Trump claimed billions in losses because it made it so he didn't have to pay any taxes.

this is true to some degree - they tend to want to give banks/future creditors evidence of good performance so they can get financing but show abysmal performance to the tax man/current creditors so they don't have to pay.

They all have people like Cohen who handle the shell corporation poo poo so that when the bank's AML investigator starts asking "what's up with these weirdly crime-like transactions" they can point at the Cohen guy who conveniently never answers the phone. Good investigators will just report it to the feds as lacking any discernible legal or business purpose, with the Cohen guy specifically called out for refusing/avoiding request for documentation.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 8, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's not fraud if you're rich.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's not fraud if you're rich.

It’s Wednesday

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FAUXTON posted:

so the piss-addled moron is saying you can add a purchased real estate asset to your sheet, deduct the cost of purchase, and value it at less than when you paid for it in order to create a loss

yo that's fraud unless he's just a loving moron who repeatedly overpaid on acquisitions to the tune of more than a billion 1980s/1990s dollars

Taxable valuations aren't actual valuations because there are exemptions and such. All of his taxable losses were by design. This is one of the many handouts to the wealthy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Taxable valuations aren't actual valuations because there are exemptions and such. All of his taxable losses were by design. This is one of the many handouts to the wealthy.

if he was carrying a billion dollars of losses forward for a decade he was almost certainly making poo poo up but another handout to the wealthy is just assuming they aren't lying their asses off at all times including in their sleep

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I never expected anything criminal out of the tax returns, since he's wealthy and real estate is by design a shady black hole and he's not an actual mobster. I did hope that it would destroy his narrative during the elections (oh, to be in 2016 again) but now I'll be content with him flipping a pancake over it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My feeling is that there is actual criminal poo poo in there. Dumb gently caress like him can't possibly stick to the legal side of rich people tax poo poo. He'd absolutely be criming to make a buck. It won't mean a loving thing, mind you, but he's absolutely a criminal.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

My feeling is that there is actual criminal poo poo in there. Dumb gently caress like him can't possibly stick to the legal side of rich people tax poo poo. He'd absolutely be criming to make a buck. It won't mean a loving thing, mind you, but he's absolutely a criminal.

We are long past the statute of limitations on tax fraud.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

well, the tax fraud committed in the 80s and 90s anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, because of the tax policy at the time, none of it may have actually been fraudulent. Anything that was borderline was most likely audited and he could pay tax lawyers to fight for decisions to go in his favor.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The juvenile shooter at the stem school was a girl.

That's a little different.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I thought NY State had no statute of limitations for tax fraud, and that's why they're currently investigating him for stuff from the early 90s?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The first school shooter was a girl, we are returning to our roots.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Circle of life in prison

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

From this article:

quote:

Multiple sources close to the investigation told Denver7 late Tuesday night that the second suspect, who is a minor, is a transgender male who was in the midst of transitioning from female to male.

The sources said that the motive of the alleged shooters went beyond bullying and involved revenge and anger towards others at the school and that at least one of the suspects was involved in legal and illegal drug use and had been in therapy.

Surely this won’t stigmatize being transgender or seeking mental health care any further, nope nope nope :allears:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Local news only said juvenile female.

Child is a drama llama.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Surely this won’t stigmatize being transgender or seeking mental health care any further, nope nope nope :allears:

Oh you better believe the RWM is salivating

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

pantslesswithwolves posted:

From this article:

This loving sucks, goddamnit.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
AG Barr is a snake, Donnie's running the sanctuary.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1126129301001207808?s=19

I can't possibly see how this poo poo stands up in court, which is kind of the point. Good, old-fashioned stonewalling.

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1126129928142036993?s=19

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Impeach Barr and/or trump FFS guys

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lol if you think they'll be subject to anything worse than very stern finger wagging

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

STEM is equal opportunity.

Richard Bong posted:

The first school shooter was a girl, we are returning to our roots.

Just change 'monday' to 'tuesday' in your head as you hum along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yteMugRAc0

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's v funny that conservatives think Pelosi and Schumer wake up every day plotting to make good hearted American kids trans so that they can implement phase 2 of the plot to make the USA ultracommunist, while here in reality they are meeting with health care executives and wagging their fingers at the idea of holding even Trump accountable for anything.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

facialimpediment posted:

AG Barr is a snake, Donnie's running the sanctuary.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1126129301001207808?s=19

I can't possibly see how this poo poo stands up in court, which is kind of the point. Good, old-fashioned stonewalling.

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1126129928142036993?s=19

Considering they released a redacted version of the report and gave explicit non-executive-privilege reasons for like all the redactions, yeah it's getting laughed out of court unless the court is packed with blatant partisans who will just agree that the Democrats in Congress are unconstitutional.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Considering they released a redacted version of the report and gave explicit non-executive-privilege reasons for like all the redactions, yeah it's getting laughed out of court unless the court is packed with blatant partisans who will just agree that the Democrats in Congress are unconstitutional.

Good thing McConnell has been hard at work for years to cover for poo poo exactly like this

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Democrats shouldn’t put any focus on the Mueller report.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

colachute posted:

Yes giving Trump a pass is the only way forward! Trump and Barr have the interest if the nation at heart

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yes giving Trump a pass is the only way forward! Trump and Barr have the interest if the nation at heart

I agree with your sentiment and have for a while, but the CE thread for the last several months has said:

colachute posted:

Also people have said not to impeach because it’s dumb. I said MONTHS ago to impeach and was told how stupid it was. At the very least it draws a hard line in the sand and handcuffs people to Trump if he eventually goes down for anything.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Good thing McConnell has been hard at work for years to cover for poo poo exactly like this

Yeah, like that is literally the long term plan.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

colachute posted:

I agree with your sentiment and have for a while, but the CE thread for the last several months has said:

Also people have said not to impeach because it’s dumb. I said MONTHS ago to impeach and was told how stupid it was. At the very least it draws a hard line in the sand and handcuffs people to Trump if he eventually goes down for anything.

I absolutely think they should impeach the rear end in a top hat, even knowing it'll fail as soon as it reaches the senate.

That said, I have no faith in Pelosi & Co to run hearings a la Watergate where they actually have a plan to highlight the various terrible poo poo Trump has been up to because as has been mentioned before, a bunch of what Trump has been up to while corrupt as gently caress and sleazy is also probably legal and the exact same poo poo a bunch of Democrat donors engage in more competently. And trying to thread that needle of "these few things Trump did that are illegal are bad, but these other things that are corrupt as poo poo but technically legal because of deregulation we've been pushing for decades are no big deal" would come off badly to most people, I'd guess.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 8, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/5zBDKxA.mp4

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm ok so long as it keeps the damage being done to our country as a whole to a minimum until we can get the Orange fucker out of office next year.

I don't think we are going to remove him, but so long as he's focused on this dumb poo poo, he's not putting our dick in another war, at least for the moment.

How sad is it that we are at societal damage control?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm ok so long as it keeps the damage being done to our country as a whole to a minimum until we can get the Orange fucker out of office next year.

I don't think we are going to remove him, but so long as he's focused on this dumb poo poo, he's not putting our dick in another war, at least for the moment.

We've been at societal damage control since Trump became the Republican nominee and have just failed terribly at it

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Don't worry, it sounds like we're getting ready for "Distraction War v5.0" with Iran

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

kupachek posted:

STEM is equal opportunity.

Well aware, just odd that a female is a school shooter in general, let alone ftm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hot Karl Marx posted:

:thejoke: