Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

chin up everything sucks posted:

I had a loving mental breakdown over my ticket load because it felt like nobody else was doing poo poo about our queue, and I was burning myself out trying to keep it down.
I just wanted to say be careful with stuff like this a ticket queue or a company is in no way worth damaging your mental health. I have done something similar to this a couple of times in career (both times working for poo poo hole MSPs) and both times I wound up quitting because it was clear the companies where not going to change. It was only years later after speaking to a therapist that i realized quite how much the stress and burnout had effected me in the long term. Its good that your in IDGAF mode now but I guess what I am saying is don't be like me and let your self make the same mistake again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Thanatosian posted:

Did you ever actually say the words "Domain Name System?"

Jesus, it's an interview, not 25,000 Pyramid.

I'd tend to give a person a break on this if you've gone into detail but this sounds like some HR checkbox.

The best interviews I've had are the one where I don't give a poo poo either way if I get hired or not.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ The stress and burnout and lack of real work/life balance is what keeps me from even looking at a place like AWS

Automation lets me take longer coffee breaks. These old dumb stubborn fucks are doing it wrong.

I thought i was being helpful when i joined a contract where this guy's whole job was to manage log files and record them for a report.

Usually took him a week to do it. He had to constantly monitor several servers over ssh to find if random files were getting over a certain size and then move them over to a hotbox which was then written to a coldbox every week or so.

wrote a perl script (python was a shitshow back then and was not default on the system images we were allowed to use) to do all the logins from one box, examine the sizes of the logs, transfer them through scp back to the hotbox while checking with a superflorus hash so i could record that data into the report, then dump out a report of what was done.

turned out i wrote a script to replace the guy and i felt bad for him. this is why when I'm asked to write a script i make sure it won't entirely replace a person. especially if the person who does the work wants it, ill take them aside and ask if they are sure.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

I'd tend to give a person a break on this if you've gone into detail but this sounds like some HR checkbox.

The best interviews I've had are the one where I don't give a poo poo either way if I get hired or not.

Same. I interviewed with a company on a lark, and they offered me the position, which I was borderline afraid they'd do. I ended up turning them down because the commute was too much and it'd have been a pretty lateral move with only a slight pay bump, but I guess I did so gracefully enough because the same manager ended up hiring me at a different company a few months later.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Oh, I'm not defending it. It just wouldn't surprise me if someone had "Domain Name System" written down as the answer on the sheet in front of them, and didn't want to accept anything other than what was written down.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I have to interview a high school kid today to be an IT intern here. I've never interviewed anyone. I've never managed anyone. This kid has never had a job and has never had an interview.

Fun!

Internet Explorer posted:

Just talk about interests. It'll be easy.

yeah... for something like this you're just trying to make sure they're not waving massive red flags at you. Is the kid reasonably personable (especially if this is a user facing role)? Do they actually express interest in IT and want to learn more about it? Are they aware of and able to meet the basic job requirements? Cool they probably passed the interview.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Oh, I'm not defending it. It just wouldn't surprise me if someone had "Domain Name System" written down as the answer on the sheet in front of them, and didn't want to accept anything other than what was written down.

It wouldn't be surprising but that's because our expectations have been ground down. In many IT jobs it's very important to know whether a candidate can explain technical concepts to non-technical people. To fairly evaluate that, ask for it. Say, "OK, clearly you understand the details of DNS, but now, pretend I'm not a technical person. What is DNS?"

I don't have much patience for interviewers who try to show how clever they are or want to make candidates jump through hoops. Yeah, fine, maybe Google, or Amazon, or Microsoft are making people take personality tests or conducting elaborate screening rituals. They can get away with that. You're a mid-sized business with 2300 employees and you don't have that kind of clout.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It wouldn't be surprising but that's because our expectations have been ground down. In many IT jobs it's very important to know whether a candidate can explain technical concepts to non-technical people. To fairly evaluate that, ask for it. Say, "OK, clearly you understand the details of DNS, but now, pretend I'm not a technical person. What is DNS?"

I don't have much patience for interviewers who try to show how clever they are or want to make candidates jump through hoops. Yeah, fine, maybe Google, or Amazon, or Microsoft are making people take personality tests or conducting elaborate screening rituals. They can get away with that. You're a mid-sized business with 2300 employees and you don't have that kind of clout.

I agree with this to an extent; there's also something to be said that people shouldn't need everything spoon fed to them and do need to show some sort of independent thought.

The DNS question was probably not the right question for that and was poorly worded overall.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Docjowles posted:

yeah... for something like this you're just trying to make sure they're not waving massive red flags at you. Is the kid reasonably personable (especially if this is a user facing role)? Do they actually express interest in IT and want to learn more about it? Are they aware of and able to meet the basic job requirements? Cool they probably passed the interview.

For me it's gonna be managing expectations. His resume says he codes in Ruby and Python and runs the local linux group. I'm gonna be having him sort cables and fix printers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

For me it's gonna be managing expectations. His resume says he codes in Ruby and Python and runs the local linux group. I'm gonna be having him sort cables and fix printers.

Yikes, what a poo poo job.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

Yikes, what a poo poo job.

He's an intern and it's his first job (if he gets it).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorting cables and fixing printers only takes so much of your time. If he's passionate he'll find other ways to contribute.

Although my approach to sorting cables is throwing them out and buying new ones, and my approach to fixing printers is to pay someone else to do it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Welp, I got the job, and even got them to bump the salary offering an extra $2k. Aw poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

He's an intern and it's his first job (if he gets it).

Oh boy, think about all the value you are adding to his education by having him sort cables. Hopefully he is at least getting paid.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Welp, I got the job, and even got them to bump the salary offering an extra $2k. Aw poo poo.

Told you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

Oh boy, think about all the value you are adding to his education by having him sort cables. Hopefully he is at least getting paid.

Don't give a gently caress. Yes, he's getting $18/hr.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I have to interview a high school kid today to be an IT intern here. I've never interviewed anyone. I've never managed anyone. This kid has never had a job and has never had an interview.

Fun!

GreenNight posted:

Yikes! He will be getting an education in something all right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanatosian posted:

Did you ever actually say the words "Domain Name System?"

Yeah, first words out of my mouth.
It was one of those questions that I thought should have a simple answer but then the more times they asked it, my answer got progressively longer and more technical.

To this day I still have no idea what they wanted and it haunts me.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 8, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah, first words out of my mouth.
It was one of those questions that I thought should have a simple answer but then the more times they asked it, my answer got progressively longer and more technical.

To this day I still have no idea what they wanted.

Imagine two balls on the edge of a cliff

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Nice! Congrats.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

This is a poo poo attitude, do him a favor and don't hire the guy. If you need someone to do the bullshit unskilled work you don't want to do, hire a temp or something for a couple weeks for 10 bucks an hour. Don't waste this kids time with meaningless busywork, that's not what an internship is for.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then they asked me, "okay so what is DNS then?"

"It. It's always DNS. DNS is always it. Even when it's not DNS, it's still DNS."

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Buddy of mine interviewed for a Jr. SysAdmin at some startup outside of Toronto (way outside. Maybe Burlington?) and the HR person was some big Six Sigma type person. The ad stated that in order to be considered for an interview he needed to really make his welcome letter stand out. So he writes some kind of comedy routine about his skills and actually got a call back.

He shows up and thing are fine. Meets with the guy he'll be working with and they go over easy stuff like "User can't connect to the Internet and you see that their IP starts with 169.254.x.x", poo poo like that. Things go well and he's then interviewed by someone who screens candidates to make sure they'll all fit in personality wise.

The last round was with the HR manager again who gave him a list of silly questions and to ask people in the office these questions and then come up with a story using the answers MadLibs style.

He didn't get the job but that's one of the strangest tings I've ever heard, even by start up standards.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

skipdogg posted:

This is a poo poo attitude, do him a favor and don't hire the guy. If you need someone to do the bullshit unskilled work you don't want to do, hire a temp or something for a couple weeks for 10 bucks an hour. Don't waste this kids time with meaningless busywork, that's not what an internship is for.

No choice in the matter. We don't hire temps, we only hire interns for office work. HR is awesome here. We need help doing grunt work, so intern it is.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I reset passwords when the normal helpdesk people aren't around. Getting passwords reset routinely takes 2-4 people. The user, the admin typing in a new password into Active Directory, often the user's manager, and any other admin when the original admin doesn't have the correct permission on the domain.

The year, 2019

Today an e-mail comes in that someone needs their e-mail password reset. Out of habit I do so and walk the password to them since they're in the next room. By the time I get back to my desk, I see the e-mail chain is now 5 replies deep. Reply all and told them it was already done.

jfc

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

And the reason you don’t have a self service password reset solution is?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I really hope they were trying to be frustrating on purpose, to see if you would pivot to better and clearer explanations when pushed, or get frustrated and repeat yourself. Of course, I know better.

I get and sympathize this mentality, but a job interview is performative. People are going to behave differently if it's entirely clear what they are and aren't being evaluated on. Have you ever wondered how so many idiots on the road ever got a license in the first place when they clearly have no idea how to signal or how right of way works? It's because most people can hold it together well enough to pass a test.

Heuristics are not de facto bad. It's important to make sure they don't weed out the people who are actually your best candidates.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 8, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

EVIL Gibson posted:

turned out i wrote a script to replace the guy and i felt bad for him. this is why when I'm asked to write a script i make sure it won't entirely replace a person. especially if the person who does the work wants it, ill take them aside and ask if they are sure.

There’s a certain person in our department who’s job could be 90% automated and the remaining tasks dumped on the service desk, they are entirely worthless and refuse to learn anything new, like basic loving powershell for each loops to save them time. I constantly get escalated tickets asking me to run a script to do bulk poo poo against user accounts that they need to get done.

gently caress you, no, learn how to do your job better. I’ve tried to help the person and teach them things but I’m done with that if they won’t learn.

If I could automate them out of a job I would be very happy, but it isn’t my area of responsibility.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My boss commented recently that we didn't seem to have a significant uptick in work after we let go of one of our team members last fall.

That's when I reminded him of the user provisioning scripts that I wrote and that 90% of the guys time was spent doing manual user management.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

No choice in the matter. We don't hire temps, we only hire interns for office work. HR is awesome here. We need help doing grunt work, so intern it is.

Make sure he knows what he's getting into, and try to sweeten the pot with something that's actually relevant when he's got downtime?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"It. It's always DNS. DNS is always it. Even when it's not DNS, it's still DNS."

you know... if this was the answer they were looking for then, gently caress.
Also this was like 12 years ago.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Wibla posted:

Make sure he knows what he's getting into, and try to sweeten the pot with something that's actually relevant when he's got downtime?

tell him he can use his coding skills to work on personal projects when not explicitly assigned tasks. and then steal the rights to any good ones for yourself by claiming he used company time and resources to create them :911:

do not actually do this

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Jesus Christ, guys, it's a high school intern. Their alternative is probably working at McDonald's. Their gonna pick up more useful skills in an office job even if it is just sorting cables and inventorying printers or whatever, and $18 an hour is a ton of money for a high schooler most places.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

My use for a high school intern is to show them interesting stuff when I have time, set them some tasks they can do, and if there isn't an interesting task to do they get to do poo poo work until I have time to show them more.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ugh, employer wants us all to take one of those stupid DiSC personality tests. How badly do I want to answer the worst possible answer for each question and see what happens....

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's a 20 hours per week intern to boot. He'll be imaging desktops and deploying apps too. Not 20 hours a week for 3 months sorting cables.

He'll learn how an office works and dealing with people. Showing up on time every day. The guy never had a job before. Real life skills not shoving Powershell up his rear end.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mattfl posted:

Ugh, employer wants us all to take one of those stupid DiSC personality tests. How badly do I want to answer the worst possible answer for each question and see what happens....

Well good news! No matter how you answer, the info gathered will be just as useful as if you answered honestly! As in, its worthless and a waste of time.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sickening posted:

Well good news! No matter how you answer, the info gathered will be just as useful as if you answered honestly! As in, its worthless and a waste of time.

100% agreed. Not sure why they suddenly want everyone to do this, I've been with this company for 6 years, get stellar reviews and my work speaks for itself. You're not finding anything new about me that you didn't already know with this stupid thing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

mattfl posted:

100% agreed. Not sure why they suddenly want everyone to do this, I've been with this company for 6 years, get stellar reviews and my work speaks for itself. You're not finding anything new about me that you didn't already know with this stupid thing.

Did one of these when I started my new job; it's extremely stupid.

You can find others like you and converse with them! Except my personality clashes with others of my personality type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mattfl posted:

HR gets bored sometimes and this is one of those superficial ways to look productive. Generally I think its best to leave the behavior sciences to the professionals.