Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just listened to the System Mastery episode on Fading Suns. I just never understood this game. It's mostly Dune with a few shakes of Book of the New Sun and Hyperion, and...Idunno. It just doesn't draw me in at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PurpleXVI posted:

gently caress any mechanic, optional or otherwise, that gives separate XP rewards for the players, especially when different archetypes(or elemental flavours in this case) have different requirements which means that depending on the game, the players may get an uneven number of chances.

While I broadly agree, it's very easy to make this a communal XP pool that gets shared out equally. Then it just becomes 'the group gets a reward when members of the group play to their character type broadly construed.'

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Just listened to the System Mastery episode on Fading Suns. I just never understood this game. It's mostly Dune with a few shakes of Book of the New Sun and Hyperion, and...Idunno. It just doesn't draw me in at all.

See that sounds like it should just be a solid setting for science fantasy/dying earth SF, but I have an immense faith in the power of RPG writers to squash everything interesting out of any broad setting concept. Or even specific, good setting concept!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Halloween Jack posted:

I always loved Fading Suns myself. It's clearly a mash-together of Dune and WH40k in large parts(with a few dashes of other things), but outside of some of the garbage metaplot it very effectively takes the good parts of each of them and creates an actual playable setting with a mostly-solid system, including one of the few decent lifepath chargens I've experienced(though freeform is still better, honestly), which actually has a lot of built-in hooks to play with. Evil demon cultists are literally trying to snuff out the stars themselves and cause eternal night for their unholy masters to rampage through, opposed by secret cabals of good psykers and priests(of a variety of well-meaning but differently-worshipping factions), with a backdrop of more conventional conflict between guilds and noble houses, space navies and space raiders, which generally make the setting feel like a living place.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PurpleXVI posted:

I always loved Fading Suns myself. It's clearly a mash-together of Dune and WH40k in large parts(with a few dashes of other things), but outside of some of the garbage metaplot it very effectively takes the good parts of each of them and creates an actual playable setting with a mostly-solid system, including one of the few decent lifepath chargens I've experienced(though freeform is still better, honestly), which actually has a lot of built-in hooks to play with. Evil demon cultists are literally trying to snuff out the stars themselves and cause eternal night for their unholy masters to rampage through, opposed by secret cabals of good psykers and priests(of a variety of well-meaning but differently-worshipping factions), with a backdrop of more conventional conflict between guilds and noble houses, space navies and space raiders, which generally make the setting feel like a living place.
Yeah, FS is good, even if it does have a lot of 90s-isms (lots of potted history, in-character fiction chapters, factions and factions and more factions). It earns points for concentrating on being game-able and it is an original SF property (not a license or a license-with-the-number-filed-off). Best of all: no advancing metaplot - it's a big sandboxy setting that you can run a bunch of different kinds of campaigns in.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What killed metaplot, exactly? I'm glad it's (mostly) dead as part of modern game writing, but was there a specific gameline or event that really started to knock it out of fashion?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Night10194 posted:

What killed metaplot, exactly? I'm glad it's (mostly) dead as part of modern game writing, but was there a specific gameline or event that really started to knock it out of fashion?
I'd say the 2000 release of D&D 3.0 and D20, which showed there was a big audience out there for gaming material that was more generic GM toolkits and adventures that didn't require buying into a sprawling continuity to use.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Almost nobody can put books out fast enough any longer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FMguru posted:

Yeah, FS is good, even if it does have a lot of 90s-isms (lots of potted history, in-character fiction chapters, factions and factions and more factions). It earns points for concentrating on being game-able and it is an original SF property (not a license or a license-with-the-number-filed-off). Best of all: no advancing metaplot - it's a big sandboxy setting that you can run a bunch of different kinds of campaigns in.
That's the thing, I don't find it to be super-playable. The basic system isn't good. Like a lot of stuff from the 90s it talks up its big themes of "passion play" and pilgrimage but doesn't support them in the same way that Pendragon does.

Idunno. It's one of those situations where I flip through the book and get irritated at all the nothing I feel about anything in it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Rand Brittain posted:

Almost nobody can put books out fast enough any longer.
Not in a paper format, no.

I've wondered if PDF metaplot releases could be part of Supplements As A Service type model. Every month you get another 20 page advancement of the metaplot, maybe released as a paper collection after a year or two.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Actually... did anyone actually use all the metaplot nonsense? Obviously it sold books, but did people really run campaigns and go "Oh man, guys, the Coalition War is progressing in the book that just came out; you guys have to go somewhere else because apparently the town you've been saving got blown up, haha"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FMguru posted:

More important than easy-to-ignore metaplot... no big invincible NPC's. Fading Suns has famous figures and rulers, but none of them have powers the players can never get and none of them ever show up just to flex and upstage the PC's or lecture them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

megane posted:

Actually... did anyone actually use all the metaplot nonsense? Obviously it sold books, but did people really run campaigns and go "Oh man, guys, the Coalition War is progressing in the book that just came out; you guys have to go somewhere else because apparently the town you've been saving got blown up, haha"

When I was playing 7th Sea 1e in high school, we were having a good time establishing a pirate kingdom and kicking the Inquisition in the dick. The GM got excited and got all the setting books because he was having fun running it. As soon as he did, the entire tone of the game changed completely to be metaplot compliant and the campaign fell apart within 2 sessions.

So yes, some people were stupid enough to try. Let me tell you, it loving sucked.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What Fire Has Wrought: Prince Charming

Dragon-Bloods are somewhat worse off than Solars and Lunars for some Charm stuff. Specifically, Excellencies. Dragon-Bloods get five free Excellencies for any five abilities from among their Aspect and Favored; they must buy the rest as they would any other Charm. This kinda sucks! I usually let them operate on Solar rules for that – they get all Caste or Favored they have any points in the Ability of, plus any Excellency for an ability they buy Charms for. It doesn’t break anything. (That said, it’s also not required because the DB Excellencies also tend to do something slightly cooler than just adding dice.) Dragon-Bloods also can’t add as much with Excellencies – a Solar can add up to their (attribute+ability) for a roll, but a DB can only add (Ability+Relevant Specialty) – so a max of 6 dice added, not 10.

Dragon-Bloods have one major unique Charm-related effect to care about : Elemental Aura. Any Dragon-Blood can enter an Aura of any of the five elements, regardless of personal Aspect. The Aura is visible in your anima banner as long as it’s above Dim. If the Aura matches your Aspect, your anima intensifies dramatically. In the Aura of any other element, your anima shifts to become a mix of the two elements, such as lava for an Earth Aspect in Fire Aura or a kelp forest for a Water Aspect in Wood Aura. To enter an Aura, you must only use Charms and powers of that element (or neutral ones) during your turn. If you do that, at the end of your turn you enter the appropriate Aura. Aura lasts for a scene, but ends prematurely (and instantly) if you use any Charm or power from another element. While in Bonfire, you cannot enter any Aura except your native element. If you are in Aura when you hit bonfire, your Aura shifts to your native element. Why does this matter?

Well, some Charms grow more powerful when you are in a specific Aura. Others, which have the Aura keyword, can only be used in the Aura that matches their element. Some Aura Charms also require you to expend your Aura as part of their price. Others have an Aura-based duration, lasting for as long as you remain in the Aura. Charms with the Balanced keyword can be used freely regardless of Aura – they don’t prevent you from entering an Aura or take you out of it, regardless of what their element is. Likewise, non-elemental Charms don’t ever cause problems for you. Martial Arts, Sorcery, Evocations and similar are always considered elementally neutral, even when they have elemental abilities, because they are extrinsic to your Essence. There is only one exception: the Immaculate Dragon Styles of Martial Arts, which are uniquely designed to harmonize with Dragon-Blooded Essence and so count as elemental for Aura purposes. They’re special. The purpose of Aura and elemental charms is to limit DB access to their most powerful effects – either you can use all of your stuff together for maximum flexibility, or your aura stuff for max power, but it’s not easy to do both at once.

Further, each Ability also has five Signature Charms, one for each element. You may only learn a single Signature Charm per ability normally, though it need not match your Aspect. They also have no Charm prereqs – just need the Ability at 5 and Essence 3. At Essence 5, you may learn a second Signature Charm for each of your Aspect and Favored Abilities. Every DB Charm has an Element, defined by their keyword; some may be used through multiple elements. These count as whatever element is most advantageous to you in a given moment. Also note, most Excellencies – possibly all – are Balanced, so you can use ‘em freely. Balanced Charms just still have elements.

Archery! Archery’s Excellency is Unobstructed Hunter’s Aim (Wood) – on top of adding dice, when used against living or undead targets, it also reduces penalties. Other interesting Charms include: Sky-Calming Draw (Air) which can extend Archery attack range to Long (for stuff like flame weapons) by causing the wind to pull your shots further or get a bonus to the roll if it already was able to attack at Long range. Death From Nowhere (Air/Water), which makes your arrow semisolid and lets it ignore some soak. Harvest of the Hunter (Wood) lets you create usable ammo for a bow or crossbow from any plant that happens to be handy.Arrow Thorn Technique (Wood) increases the Overwhelming of Withering attacks or the damage of Decisive attacks if you aimed by making thorns grow on your arrow. Life-Swelling Sap Strike (Wood) causes your arrow to explode into vines mid-flight, entangling the foe with a Distract gambit that makes it harder for the target to move for the rest of the scene. This can also instantly destroy undead you Crash with it, as long as they aren’t super powerful or Exalted, and any mortal you kill while they’re entangled can’t rise a hungry ghost. You can use this on dying people without shooting them to cause that, too, and in Wood aura you can use it to make a normal Decisive attack rather than a Distract gambit. Arbor Sentinel Technique (Wood) lets you turn your bow into a small tree full of arrows, which you can still attack with but also get Heavy cover from and can’t be disarmed of. Because it’s a tree. It has infinite ammo, too. Your only problem is it’s a tree, so it can’t move until the Charm ends, and the Charm ends if you leave Close range of it. Dragonfly Finds Mate (Wood) lets you shoot down enemy ranged attacks with reflexive clashes, and can get a Fire upgrade, Salamander Swallows Flame, to let your flamepiece eat fire-based or magical attacks to reload itself.

The Signatures: Horizon-Spanning Arc (Air), which lets you, once per scene, expend Air Aura to spend two turns aiming and then make a Decisive attack out to Extreme range with the aim dice becoming successes, as long as you can see your foe and they’re no more than five range bands away. If you manage to take out your target, you then get to reflexively aim at someone else. Earth’s Judgment Awakened (Earth) lets you, once per scene when you dodge an attack while standing on an earthen surface, make a reflexive Decisive counterattack that can target Resolve or Defense and deals damage based on your Presence, ignoring Hardness. Blazing Phoenix Pinion (Fire) lets you spend a turn aiming and then fire an explosive incendiary shot as a Decisive attack with bonus damage, and if you have at least one 10, the explosion goes off as an unblockable (but low-damage) attack on everyone near the target that also knocks them over and sets them on fire, dealing damage each turn until they put it out. Fang-of-the-Depths Draw (Water) lets you ignore penalties for firing into water or firing while underwater, even with flame weapons, and in Water Aura it lets you try to autostealth yourself before attacking once per scene while underwater, to make your attack also count as unexpected. Heartbeats Before Death (Wood) lets you, once per scene, reflexively aim at a living or undead target and ignore their cover, and if you aimed the round before, it can even shoot through full cover. There are a total of 21 Archery Charms over 5 pages.

Athletics Excellency: Effortlessly Rising Flame (Fire), which adds successes rather than dice and also gives you bonus non-Charm dice for rolling 10s. Interesting Charms: Bellows-Pumping Stride (Fire) gives you an explosive burst of speed, giving bonus non-Charm dice to a Rush based on the 1s the opponent rolls to resist, and you can expend Fire Aura to leave a fire trail behind yourself as an environmental hazard when you reflexively pursue after a successful rush. Strength of Stone Technique increases your Strength by 1 for as long as you remain standing on the ground or a natural stone surface. Perfect Climbing Attitude (Earth) lets you use your reflexive move to climb up or down a range band on an earthen or stone surface, carving handholds for yourself with your bare fingers, no roll needed even for sheer surfaces, and with Athletics 3 and Essence 2, the handholds don’t crumble when you’re done if you want them to stay.

Signatures: Soaring Zephyr Flight (Air) lets you leap two range bands up, then hover there. From that spot, you can fly around horizontally with your normal movement or hover in place as you like, but it costs Initiative each round you maintain the Charm, and if you get Crashed, taken out, lose Air Aura, or willingly end the Charm, you drift harmlessly to the ground. Unshakeable Mountain Stance (Earth) can only be used once per day when in contact with earth or on the lowest floor of a building that’s touching the ground. You double your Strength for a single instant for purposes of qualifying for feats of strength and get a bonus to the roll, with an extra bonus if your doubled Strength is more than needed to perform the feat. Inescapable Blazing Advance (Fire) gives a bonus to a rush as flames streak behind you, and you drain Initiative from the target based on the 1s they roll, and if this Crashes them, you set them on fire with your speed. Dragon Surmounts the Waterfall (Water) gives a bonus to movement rolls while swimming, lets you ignore penalties and Difficult terrain from going against the current, through waves, across whirlpools or similar, and you can swim up vertical flows like waterfalls (but they count as Difficult terrain). Further, any feats of strength you do underwater get a bonus and your Strength is considered higher to see if you can attempt them. Graceful Dryad Dance (Wood) lets you walk on any living plant-based surface with perfect balance, even twigs or leaves, even if they could not normally bear your weight. You never need to roll to keep your balance this way, and you get a bonus to Evasion while on plant-based surfaces, and you can use your reflexive move to go one or two range bands up or down on a tree or similar plant-based surface, as long as you can end your movement on a horizontal surface or you use Incense Smoke Ladder (another Athletics Charm) to keep going. There are a total of 17 Athletics Charms over 3.5 pages.

Awareness Excellency: Precision Observation Method (Earth) can do either dice adding or success adding, your choice. Interesting Charms: Deep-Listening Palm (Earth) lets you hear things directly though barriers as if they weren’t present by sensing sound through Earth Essence, with no roll if they’re stone or weaker. Even on a failure, you get fragments. Dragon’s Crushing Gaze (Earth/Water) lets you activate it when opposing stealth or a disguise to reduce the foe’s successes by literally weighing them down with elemental Essence. Feeling the Dragon’s Bones (Earth) lets you sense anything out to Medium range, even if walls are in the way or they’re underground, by reading the vibrations of the floor. In stone structures or underground, it extends to Long range. Sense-Destroying Method (Earth) lets you touch someone and turn off their senses. It has an upgrade, Essence Disruption Attack, that lets you make the target have to pay more motes to use Charms, because you calcify their Essence flow.

Signatures: Horizon-Spanning Echoes (Air) lets you throw your senses into the wind, naming a specific person you want to listen for the sounds of or specific sound you want to find, such as a specific phrase or the sound of wagon wheels. You then go into a trance and detect the target anywhere within several miles (more, if it’s very loud) and you can make a roll with bonus to detect its exact location. The Charm lasts until you make that roll, so you can sit there meditating for days waiting for some specific person to wander close enough to hear, I suppose. One-With-Earth Embodiment (Earth) lets you literally enter an earthen surface, moving through it as if it were water. You can do it in combat as your movement action, but you have to either keep using it until your surface or you get ejected at the point you went in and fall prone and take some damage. While inside the surface, you get full cover against all attacks without an appropriate stunt, gambit or feat of strength to create an opening to reach you. Eye of Blazing Truth (Fire) makes your eyes burn with flame. Once per scene, when you make a vision-based Awareness check, you get extra dice based on the 10s you roll, ignore all penalties from poor lighting or darkness, and if you beat an opposed Larceny or Stealth roll you can shoot eye lasers at the person you detect to deal some damage. If they were hidden, their concealment ends due to the flames and they have to make a new Stealth roll at a penalty to find a new hiding spot, but this isn’t a move action if they can find it within the same range band; otherwise, they use up their movement doing this. Also, if their hiding place was flammable, it’s on fire now, and if they were in disguise, it burns away if they took any damage.

That was long so, line break. Serpent-of-the-Depths Discernment can be used while underwater to displace your hearing to any location within the same body of water and within a few range bands based on your Essence. You can hear everything as if you were at that location and get a bonus to any Awareness checks you make while in the water, and Socialize checks to read intentions of anyone you’re eavesdropping on. (This gives no special power to breathe underwater, so you’re going to want to be Water Aspect or have some other means to do it for extended eavesdropping.) Dragon’s Flaring Nostrils (Wood) gives a bonus to all scent-based Awareness rolls and Survival rolls to track by scent, as well as Medicine rolls to diagnose poison or disease, and Socialize rolls to read intentions of anyone you can smell. Your sense of smell extends several range bands based on your Essence, and you can tell people apart by scent and tell how long it’s been since a scent was left. In combat, successfully smelling a concealed foe or danger also gives you 2 Initiative. There are a total of 17 Awareness Charms over 4.5 pages.

Next time: Brawl, Bureaucracy, Craft, Dodge, Integrity

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Tibalt posted:

Not in a paper format, no.

I've wondered if PDF metaplot releases could be part of Supplements As A Service type model. Every month you get another 20 page advancement of the metaplot, maybe released as a paper collection after a year or two.

Printing is no small outlay, but making professional looking PDFs is still a lot of work.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As a note, in case you were wondering: a very large number of the Signature Fire Charms end with 'and then you set them on fire.'

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

As a note, in case you were wondering: a very large number of the Signature Fire Charms end with 'and then you set them on fire.'

What Fire Has Wrought often ends up being 'more fire.'

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rifts Coalition Wars 1: Sedition, Part 12: "Ultimately the player characters are participants in a much larger drama."

How the Player Characters fit into the scheme of things

So, emphasizing both sides are supposed to be morally objectionable, it points out there are a lot of ways the PCs can be involved, voluntarily or otherwise. As if to give us whiplash from the last part, it emphasizes that the PCs are part of a story bigger than they are, and obviously wants to focus on little side war stories rather than the larger conflict. They would be involved on either side or as independent opportunists, of course. And yes, Coalition is actually given more wordage than Tolkeen in that regard, which would definitely result in some either monstrous or horribly conflicted characters by the time Rifts Coalition Wars 2: Coalition Overkill rolls around... if they weren't already.

There's also issues with bandits and other vultures moving in to prey on vulnerable targets that the PCs can try and stop. Similarly, there will be monsters (figurative and literal) who will use the chaos to find victims. And yes, the r-word comes up. Some may have false justifications, some may be just eeevil.

Rifts Coalition Wars 1: Sedition posted:

Adventure Note

Much more background, adventures and information is yet to come in the subsequent books in the Coalition Wars™: Siege on Tolkeen, six part series. Chapter Two: Coalition Overkill™ (out in late July or early August 2000) will include details on the Coalition's progress and key CS figures operating on the Tolkeen front, as well as Tolkeen's demonic allies, including the Daemonix, and more on Brodkil and other monstrous forces. Don't miss it as the war accelerates into high gear.

Largely accurate, except for the Brodkil, who will only be mentioned a few times in passing after this.

Overcompensation didn't start with Kylo Ren.

A brief overview of Tolkeen's Allies

The most notable ally of Tolkeen's is the Cyber-Knights. Though the head of the order, Lord Coake (a Cola?) issued a decree banning Cyber-Knights from getting involved - how he got the word out to a bunch of wandering loners without mass media, I dunno - a good number of Cyber-Knights have come to Tolkeen's defense anyway. The consequence is that the Coalition finally declares Cyber-Knights to be enemies of the state. Furthermore, the Cyber-Knights take a PR hit, either from those offended by Lord Coake's decree, or those that wonder if "rogue" Cyber-Knights who broke their oaths can be trusted. Meanwhile, King Creed welcomes the rogue knights and gives them positions of leadership.

Juicers and their allies are also involved, seeing the Coalition as a foe due to the "Juicer Uprising" (of Rifts World Book 10: Juicer Uprising), and though this was once said to "triple" Tolkeen's forces, we only see several thousand Juicers added, because... well, contradictions.

A good number of Simvan Monster Riders have joined because the Coalition is a threat to their existence and they also like fighting. Why they've overcome their general xenophobia (was that ever really a thing with them?) is less clear. Some Psi-Stalkers have joined, but the presence of the Simvan and the fact the Coalition doesn't really persecute them means there's not many involved. Naturally, D-Bees are generally involved because they live in Minnesota, but some more have arrived just to fight the Coalition because.

Free Quebec isn't involved (yet) because they really just hate both sides, and the Federation of Magic stays out due to their rivalry with Tolkeen. Mind, it only discusses the "true" Federation of Magic under Alistair Dunscon (from Rifts World Book 16: Federation of Magic), and no discussion of the other factions of the Federation of Magic is made. You'd think the Lords of Magic or the like would have a reaction, but seemingly not?

New art for old monsters.

A Gathering Evil

Tolkeen has started accepting a lot of questionable allies, like demons and other sinister supernatural creatures, figuring they can deal with the price if they survive to pay it. Their primary new ally is the evil Daemonix, which-

Note: The Daemonix and the other inhuman allies noted here will be presented in glorious detail in Coalition Wars™ Chapter Two (on sale no later than early August, 2000).

I guess we'll have to wait for the evil sequel monsters. Instead, we get reprints of the Black Faerie, Brodkil, Neuron Beasts, Thornhead Demons, and Witchlings, all originally featured way back in Rifts Sourcebook. Their roles are predictable - Brodkil and Thornheads are troops, Black Faeries and Witchlings are used for covert jobs and torture, and Neuron Beasts are just manipulative assholes, why are they around? Well, somebody thought it was a good idea, no doubt. :jerkbag:

War of the Gargantua.

Etc.

We get dispositions for Tolkeen Combat Squads, any one of which will likely outnumber and outpower most PC Coalition groups, to say nothing of Tolkeen Raiding Parties which go into dozens to scores or troops. Once again, how you're supposed to handle any encounter involving any dozen foes within rules as written is beyond me. There are some extremely rough maps of Coalition troop positions and a really hard-to-read ley line map (it includes rivers that obscure most of them), along with a note that there are Coalition troops around Solomon because it's really hard to fuckin' see. It also has some grey blobs on it that I guess are supposed to mean a thing, but I don't know what. Xiticix, I'm guessing.

We also get a complete spell index so you can look up all the magic in other books, which will be handy once we start getting Tolkeen defenders with overwrought spell lists that would make a D&D wizard proud.

We would like to thank Bill and Allie Coffin for their help in compiling this list. We also want to thank the yet to be born little Coffin (Donovan) for waiting one more day.

Finally, we end with an advert for other Palladium Games.

Look out! The triangles are coming! (Note: there is no legend for this map.)

Conclusions

So, we've got some major problems starting out. Tolkeen is still largely a cipher- we don't know much about the locale, society, or history there, but we're supposed to care whether or not it falls. The book can't decide if King Creed is a fallen idealist or a murderous schemer, which is a real problem when he's a key player. As for the Coalition side, we'll get to some some personalities for them in the next book... which is good, because we have no idea who's commanding them or what their overall plan is other than just slowly encroaching in this one. Too much space is dedicated to stuff and diversions. Yes, a vampire taking over a vulnerable town is a valid little adventure to have, but it doesn't play into any of the themes or plots of the actual invasion. And yet, it gets six pages. We get a whole page on floating chairs. This needed some focus, and to lay down the basic facts you need, and it doesn't do that yet.

Worse, the end is predestined. I wanted to even avoid talking about that at this point, but it's already been spoiled throughout World Books 22 and 23. Do we need six books dedicated to a plot the PCs are discouraged from influencing? The Solomon plot is perhaps one of the more intriguing twists to add, and it's relegated to a "what if" scenario. At least it's there, but it's not going to get much further exploration despite the litany of material we'll get on the conflict.

Moreover, the attempts to villify Tolkeen are awfully ham-handed. Yes, they might be driven by hatred, and yes, they're making sinister alliances, but... they're still just defending their home. It's not like Tolkeen tried to assassinate Prosek (yet) or attacked the Coalition in any sense, or did anything obvious to instigate the war. There is the hint that the soul of Emperor Prosek's deceased son might be in their possession - which could definitely be something to spark a conflict, but it's relegated to a side rumor. Moreover, in most American fiction, we've been trained to think fighting for a worthy cause, even if it's doomed, is worthy. That fighting for freedom and your home is a worthwhile endeavor, even against unthinkable odds, is important. America was founded by wealthy landowners people who were willing to stand up against a seemingly implacable colonial power, after all. Or so we like to mythologize it as such, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TME0xubdHQc
Yes, I know Gibson is a poo poo, don't @ me about it.

Instead, Siembieda's like "Wow, what an rear end in a top hat, William, condemning your people to die? Just for your freedom? What an evil, sinister speech leading people to hatred of the English for your own ego." And hell, he might be right. But without Tolkeen actually committing some villainous or hubristic action, the attempt to "both sides" the war ends up being a false equivalence, especially when the Coalition opens up the war without provocation with a nuclear attack and commits acts of deliberate genocide. Yes, war makes monsters of everyone, but you need to show and not just tell on that part.

In fact, it seems like this plot would work better as a Coalition vs. Dunscon's Federation of Magic, both of which are established as steeped in hatred and evil. But he already wrote the Tolkeen vs. Coalition war as an element as far back as the core rules, and why deviate from that for a plot that might make sense? Hell, maybe you could have Alistair Dunscon take over Tolkeen and that'd fit. But... nah.

And we've only just started.

THE END OF "SEDITION". 672 PAGES REMAIN OF THE COALITION WARS.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

The Fire Guy is always the guy who can't think of anything to do with it besides more fire.

See: Bright Wizards (We will be seeing Bright Wizards).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In fairness, it's honestly really entertaining a lot of the time. Like imagine being the guy who, in the middle of a party, realizes someone is attending in disguise...

So you shoot that person with your eye lasers and burn their disguise to ash. And everyone treats this as a normal thing that happens at Dynastic parties.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Still, it's always stood out to me. Light Magic? Enlightenment, perception, consideration, eye lasers. Metal magic? Solidity, learning, history, and study.

Bright Magic? IT'S ALL FIRE SON. ALL OF IT.

And that is always Fire Guy in everything Fire Guy is in. It's just how Fire Guy be.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Atleast Tome of Sorcery for Bright Mages had spells about igniting people's passions or emotions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ChaseSP posted:

Atleast Tome of Sorcery for Bright Mages had spells about igniting people's passions or emotions.

Fire Aspects will end up doing this, too. They're real good at it! But it lives in the social skills primarily, so for investigative abilities or sneaking? Yeah you set stuff on fire.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mors Rattus posted:

investigative abilities <snip> Yeah you set stuff on fire.

How does that even work? Does everything that isn't a clue burn up like flash paper, allowing you to just pick up the clues?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Have you never thought of smoking out a lead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Actually, I was wrong about that one, their Investigation Signature is more about a burning question rather than setting people on fire. Their Larceny one sets people on fire.

Specifically, if someone trying to investigate you fails their roll, you cause the evidence they were looking for to explode in their face.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wdarkk posted:

How does that even work? Does everything that isn't a clue burn up like flash paper, allowing you to just pick up the clues?
It does now.

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A good number of Simvan Monster Riders have joined because the Coalition is a threat to their existence and they also like fighting. Why they've overcome their general xenophobia (was that ever really a thing with them?) is less clear. Some Psi-Stalkers have joined, but the presence of the Simvan and the fact the Coalition doesn't really persecute them means there's not many involved. Naturally, D-Bees are generally involved because they live in Minnesota, but some more have arrived just to fight the Coalition because.

But you don't understand. If Tolkeen got help, then the CS will lose, and obviously that can't be allowed. :V

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It sure seems like almost every war with the CS in it is about how unstoppable and powerful the CS is.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

PurpleXVI posted:

gently caress any mechanic, optional or otherwise, that gives separate XP rewards for the players, especially when different archetypes(or elemental flavours in this case) have different requirements which means that depending on the game, the players may get an uneven number of chances.

I agree! It always feels really bad when one person doesn't get their thing. It's part of why my GM refuses to run with more than 3 people at max. Any more than that and you just don't have the time to let everybody shine. The "intentionally cede the spotlight" thing helps a little, but it should really be yo if the Fight Guy doing a fight took up half the session so the Diplomacy Guy didn't get a chance, that counts too. Everybody gets 5 normal xp and 4 special xp every session, either because they tried to do the thing or they didn't have time because someone else was doing their thing.

I like that they're giving an incentive to play in a certain way and I'm not sure what else they could give you instead cos it's not like Burning Wheel Artha type stuff, but maybe just go "if they even try to do this thing then they get it" or something I dunno, I ain't a game designer.

In theory I guess it's supposed to balance out? If the talky guy didn't get 2 xp this time because a thing took up a lot of time then that guy won't get 2 xp next time because talky guy is getting his but that's garbage and it's a known thing for decades that it still feels lovely to "miss out" on a thing up for grabs so all that ends up with is two people feeling lovely they didn't get the maximum number of thing and then if there's a third party that's got maximum thing both times now everyone feels bad!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I say again, pooling exp for everyone and then awarding it collectively is the solution that lets you have the carrot without the stick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mors Rattus posted:

one of my favorite running gags in my group's current DB game is our super fire aspected fire dragon basically setting something on fire when they spend literally any energy doing anything at all. Which would be great if she was a warrior type but she's a fuckin book keeper and crafter.

Ever see someone do math so hard they start a brushfire? We have.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

sexpig by night posted:

one of my favorite running gags in my group's current DB game is our super fire aspected fire dragon basically setting something on fire when they spend literally any energy doing anything at all. Which would be great if she was a warrior type but she's a fuckin book keeper and crafter.

Ever see someone do math so hard they start a brushfire? We have.

Has she ever accidentally set the book she was using on fire?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wdarkk posted:

Has she ever accidentally set the book she was using on fire?

our first group project was stealing fireproof books from a rival crew of dragon blooded working for Ragara because our campaign hook was literally 'you guys are actually a fairly established crew of DB in the city, carving your own little slice of life out and making some money...woops your account burned your books'

Exalted is a v. serious game

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
DB Exalted lends itself to a lot of good rear end campaign fuels but if you haven't tried 'divine powered failchildren of their families Trying Their Best' you haven't experienced the full DB power.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

DB Exalted lends itself to a lot of good rear end campaign fuels but if you haven't tried 'divine powered failchildren of their families Trying Their Best' you haven't experienced the full DB power.

I love that I can run light-hearted comedy sessions in otherwise serious Exalted games, just by having the group run into something that doesn't take their full power and coordination and letting them just do whatever. As soon as you lower the stakes it turns into a fun, even goofy and relaxed time just from the comparison.

Parties in Exalted games where the PCs can kick back and get up to Dumb Stuff are perfect and good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joe Slowboat posted:

I love that I can run light-hearted comedy sessions in otherwise serious Exalted games, just by having the group run into something that doesn't take their full power and coordination and letting them just do whatever. As soon as you lower the stakes it turns into a fun, even goofy and relaxed time just from the comparison.

Parties in Exalted games where the PCs can kick back and get up to Dumb Stuff are perfect and good.

yea that's exactly how my group does it too. Low powered threats are more freeform, do what we need to handle them, usually something stupid because we're monkey brained dipshits. When someone else busts out the magic elemental banner that's the signal for 'oh this is real times then'.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the default DB game. At least for me because I've never actually seen DB played any other way. I mean, sure, I've heard on the internet that people play DB in other ways, but that's probably just made up internet bullshit.

edit:

sexpig by night posted:

yea that's exactly how my group does it too. Low powered threats are more freeform, do what we need to handle them, usually something stupid because we're monkey brained dipshits. When someone else busts out the magic elemental banner that's the signal for 'oh this is real times then'.

Totally agree. The best way to play Exalted is to give the players unbelievable power and then let them loose to dick around and get into trouble after their misguided efforts to help people or enrich themselves inevitably end in catastrophe.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 8, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I prefer to have serious and lighthearted in the same ongoing game, but also not to totally blur the lines, since light-hearted sessions can relieve tension and serious can make characters feel richer. I've actually had a harder time with my Mage: The Awakening game balancing humor and horror than I usually have in Exalted balancing high heroism and low picaresque.

It also means the same characters are the heroes who slew the great tiger-behemoth, Famine, and one of whom eventually turned to darkness and became a death knight, and so on...

...and also the deathknight's illiteracy and the terrible decisions made by the Zenith in seducing Not-Ishtar are still table jokes for my group.

It's a good balance and feels right for mythic culture heroes of whatever scale. Heracles did some real dumb poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There's a note at some point in 2E that Dragonbloods made sure the fashion in the Realm was all austere monolithic stone and engravings, because wooden buildings and paintings and carpets and such don't last very long when cousin Sally makes it snow indoors every time she gets worked up.