Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Any patch-notes out yet? Can someone copy/paste them here; I can't surf too many sites at work because filters.

Not seeing anything on their forums at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I appreciate you looking. I hope there's some cool changes/additions outside of TBM. I think it's great that they added it, but I'll never use it. If I can't play the whole series in TBM it's weird to me to finish on game then play the next one in a totes different style. But that's me, I'm weird.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There's some cool stuff coming beyond bug fixes and The Ultimate in patch 5.0, by the way.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I don't think the notes have been released yet, I haven't found them anywhere.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

more info and notes!
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/109341-update-61-patch-update-50-the-return-of-the-ultimate/
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/109231-patch-notes-for-500/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This is rad because I'm nearly finished with a Poe1 run I was planning on importing so good timing on a new patch.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I just beat the game, now I wish I had waited longer than I did to start my playthrough.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 8, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

:thatsrad:

Seriously impressive

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Oh wait the new Woedica content can be accessed whenever? Okay that's cool I don't need to restart my playthrough after all.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 8, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Attack abilities will now apply their effects to child attacks such as AOEs in addition to the character's primary weapon attack.

gently caress yea, finally!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Where are the notes on the turn-based mode changes? What did they do about attack speed?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Inverness posted:

Where are the notes on the turn-based mode changes? What did they do about attack speed?

They said they made balance changes but I haven't seen yet what those are.

Also the Ultimate sounds hard as hell. I don't know if I could manage it and I have a pretty extensive knowledge of the game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I didn't get super into TBM but I don't see a ton of balance changes for it. Maybe there have been smaller patches that I missed but is stuff like evasive fire spam and brisk recitation shenanigans still in? Idk it just seemed like it needed a more thorough balance pass.

e: oh are those not the full notes?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The reactivity changes sound cool. I was pleased with the base experience but I'm interested in whether this'll change minds of folks who didn't.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

isk posted:

The reactivity changes sound cool. I was pleased with the base experience but I'm interested in whether this'll change minds of folks who didn't.

The party building nightmare begins all over again. :shepface: But yea looking forward to this, too.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

lol @ building a party
Time to build 50 minmaxed abominations for the Ultimate and have them all die alone in Port Maje :getin:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is The Ultimate? A new difficulty or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chaosapiant posted:

All the challenges at once, apparently.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

It turns on all of the God challenges and also puts you on POTD/Expert Mode/Iron Man Mode.

So it's like a no-reload run where the game is also put in the hardest state possible. Some of the God challenges do things like take away your ability to pause, make monsters stronger, etc.

I'm sure people will manage to beat it, but it will be pretty challenging even for a huge Poe nerd who knows the game inside and out.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Just realized the 12 spots on the plaque corresponds to the number of gods in Eora.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was going to start a new playthrough last week but got sidetracked - I'm glad I did!

Looking forward to seeing what's next for the franchise.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Really curious about the TB balancing, especially DEX, action speed, and Sun and Moon.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Characters with unused engagements will now engage enemies that move in range even if they are not the primary target.

Playing a bit now and this is a really good change too, tanking is so much easier now.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jimbot posted:

I was going to start a new playthrough last week but got sidetracked - I'm glad I did!

Looking forward to seeing what's next for the franchise.

Pillars 3, fingers crossed.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2XfForaMaQ

:toot:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

quote:

Pillars Pen and Paper

Josh has updated the Pillars of Eternity Pen and Paper ruleset and had it playtested with an intrepid band of merry developers - he is now pleased to release it to the general public for play and feedback. You can download it from the front page of eternity.obsidian.net later today. We will also be pushing it live to your backer portals and, for those who have it, game libraries as well.

Thank you again for your continued support! If you have any issues with the game, contact us through our support portal to help you on your journey.

Cheers,
The Deadfire team

Excited about this!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ginette Reno posted:

It turns on all of the God challenges and also puts you on POTD/Expert Mode/Iron Man Mode.

So it's like a no-reload run where the game is also put in the hardest state possible. Some of the God challenges do things like take away your ability to pause, make monsters stronger, etc.

I'm sure people will manage to beat it, but it will be pretty challenging even for a huge Poe nerd who knows the game inside and out.

That doesn't even seem possible. Granted, I've never gotten past Gilded Vale in POE1 on PoTD. So what do I know. But it sounds like playing Witcher 2 on Dark Mode with no reload and no hands.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Sadly, turn based mode will probably be the optimal choice for this achievement.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Looks like the conditions for the Ultimate contest entry require you to also finish all DLC and "all major enemies and boss battles completed". So, all bounties and megabosses, every single SSS fight, maybe some other stuff?

I don't remember how strict the time limit is for that one challenge but this certainly seems impossible. I wonder how many slots on that commemorative plaque will have some flavor of Priest on them for Withdraw alone

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

That doesn't even seem possible. Granted, I've never gotten past Gilded Vale in POE1 on PoTD. So what do I know. But it sounds like playing Witcher 2 on Dark Mode with no reload and no hands.

One way people do this is playing two concurent games, so they'd get to an encounter, playest it however many times they need on one save and only once they are sure they got it down tackle it with their "iron man" save.

Another way is to play something like a chanter/paladin - if build right you are pretty much invincible, after which you can just whittle down any encounter in the game with Soft winds of death and branded enemy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Avalerion posted:

One way people do this is playing two concurent games, so they'd get to an encounter, playest it however many times they need on one save and only once they are sure they got it down tackle it with their "iron man" save.

Another way is to play something like a chanter/paladin - if build right you are pretty much invincible, after which you can just whittle down any encounter in the game with Soft winds of death and branded enemy.

That's bananas to me, but to each their own. If PoTD was "too easy" for me at any point, this would be what I'd turn to. But I'd want to understand the mechanics intimately first before even attempting it. I'd prefer to do it "honestly" and if I die, I die. Granted that's theoretical, because I'll never touch that difficulty, too much of a wuss.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The way to get these sorts of cheevos is always to game the system in the dumbest possible ways. It's rarely "fun" in the traditional sense--instead being incredibly tedious and obtuse--but the idea of gaming the system for maximum benefit is "fun" for some people.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

PoE I's ultimate was beaten by someone who uploaded the entire run on youtube with a 3 constitution Rogue. Took him less than 10 hours. Metaknowledge made the challenge a loooot less impossible than it looked.
PoE II's version will most likely be a lot harder, at least on RTwP, since the high level content is harder and some challenges are pretty awful. Woedica's challenge, for example, states that "Per-Encounter and Class resources become Per Rest", so you can't brilliant/tactician your way out of this one.

Dick Burglar posted:

The way to get these sorts of cheevos is always to game the system in the dumbest possible ways.
not in the first game

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 8, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Achievements is still a thing I'll never quite understand. I've never cared the least bit about them. That said I do care about completing every single quest and bit of content in most games, and I suppose that's very similar?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Avalerion posted:

The test playthrough strategy might not be foolproof in PoE2 because of randomized buffs on beasts from Galawain's challenge. You could probably find a way to get the ones you need on your test save by loving around with the console, but you'd need to know which buffs the ones on your real save have first. I haven't played much of Hylea's but Vela may behave/be targeted unpredictably as well.

It also won't protect you from stuff like running out of time to finish the game if you don't carefully plan out all your actions long in advance, especially given (for the contest they're running at least) you'd have to do everything. My guess is the people crazy enough to do this are going to be relying on stuff like effectively infinite uptime on Barring Death's Door on builds otherwise minmaxed for DPS or something, the longer a fight goes the more chances for your beloved child to get chunked by a stray fireball or whatever.

This is a completely insane challenge and I'm sure someone will post a complete run on Youtube in like two weeks

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

There's builds that can probably solve the iron man aspect of the challenge without too much trouble since there's all kinds of cheese builds that get super higher defenses and near immortality. I imagine the bigger problem would be figuring out how to beat the challenge which gives you a time limit. A lot of those cheese builds can tank an encounter forever but don't necessarily have fast dps output.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm glad it exists. I also won't touch it with a stick ever.

Every RPG needs something like this. I have a feeling of despair each time so-called Hard mode turns out to mean that you should heal your team from time to time and don't go against higher level foes. It's nice to always have some mad difficulty level where you know you'll have to use every detail in the game. This gives mechanics meaning even when you play on lower difficulty setting.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm super jazzed for the pen and paper game. Hitting refresh on the site.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Some real good poo poo worthy of the sendoff to the sequel. I'm laboring to think of a single non-live service that's received as much completely free post-launch support as either PoE1 or PoE2. I know it'll probably be a while before we get another PoE, but I'll be the first in line to back it whenever we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
CK2 has gotten a lot of updates over the years, even if you don't buy the DLCs you'll get updates/enhancements to the game. I'm excited to watch someone's run through the ultimate. Those patches look awesome.