Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I prefer them to the stuff soaked in corn syrup for that reason. The flavor is more pure and they are easier to use without the extra poo poo in the adobo.

If you can find San Marcos brand, they are not NEARLY as sweet as all of the others. It's annoying how much sugar is in most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Doom Rooster posted:

Def agree on all points, with one objection. Canned chipotle are way better, with San Marcos brand being the best I have found, but... If my option is dried chipotle or no chipotle, I definitely still want some in there.

I think it's San Marcos that don't de-seed theirs, though. Whereas the orange brand with the senorita are de-seeded. Not saying this is good or bad, but the lazy in me prefers the latter.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 20, 2018

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've never bothered de-seeding, honestly. I figure that after being cooked in the can, then left for however many months before I buy and use them, all spice/bitterness has already been absorbed and spread throughout the can. I just toss 'em in the blender with the rest of the chile paste mix, so no textural problem either.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
What combinations of fresh peppers do folks use in their chili? I can't work out how strongly of fresh peppers chili is :airquote: supposed to taste.

The last time I made it, I used two red bell peppers and four jalapeños to one pound of meat and one pound of (dried) beans. It was okay, but I feel like I can do better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
skip the bell peppers, since they're stupid expensive compared to spicy ones. if you like the taste of jalepenos just add more, or you could add some habaneros if you like that taste, just remember they will kick the heat up quite a bit.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's a lot of bell pepper, I'd cut it. I usually have a few jalapeños, poblanos and some type of small, hot chilis depending on how hot I'm making it. Similar to the ratio I use for the dry.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love roasting a couple of Anaheim peppers on my stove and putting them in. I'm honestly not sure how much they add but I always just eat one while I'm cooking which is worth it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I usually go fresno or red jalapeno. They have some of the red bell sweetness, but also spice. Then serrano as well because I'm a creature of habit. Green jalapeno I don't often do unless I'm positive whether I'm getting hot ones or the big mild hybrids.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Doom Rooster posted:

I've never bothered de-seeding, honestly. I figure that after being cooked in the can, then left for however many months before I buy and use them, all spice/bitterness has already been absorbed and spread throughout the can. I just toss 'em in the blender with the rest of the chile paste mix, so no textural problem either.
Yeah there’s no need to deseed canned chilies

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Courtesy of the comic strip thread, for your critique:

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

:siren:GOON DERAIL INCOMING:siren:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I would NEVER suggest putting something like eggplant in chili, everyone knows that's pure blasphemy.

That being said, hypothetically, if a girlfriend were to insist on a more veggie-heavy chili, then it's possible that roasting and cubing eggplant with the skin removed could result in some tasty morsels that inherit the meaty flavor of the chili they are cooked in.

But just to be clear, I would never ever suggest that in this thread and anyone who does should just get the hell right out of here.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

dy. posted:

I would NEVER suggest putting something like eggplant in chili, everyone knows that's pure blasphemy.

That being said, hypothetically, if a girlfriend were to insist on a more veggie-heavy chili, then it's possible that roasting and cubing eggplant with the skin removed could result in some tasty morsels that inherit the meaty flavor of the chili they are cooked in.

But just to be clear, I would never ever suggest that in this thread and anyone who does should just get the hell right out of here.

Eggplant can get pretty meaty. I think there've been suggestions for rehydrated mushrooms and cashews for vegan chili before.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you’re making vegetarian chilli, you can’t go wrong with absolute tons of mushrooms, cooked down until all the moisture is gone out of them, they a great substitute for ground meat

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
an iraqi dude made eggplant chili for my wife's work competition and it was phenomenal. it got second place behind only my chili.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
your wifes work chili comp allows non-employee entrants? or are you cheating for her?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I add dry mushrooms to my meat chili. They completely dissolve and it adds extra meaty flavor.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ranter posted:

your wifes work chili comp allows non-employee entrants? or are you cheating for her?

it was known who made the chili. i'm unsure what the specific by laws state and if we were in any violation of them

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bewbies posted:

it was known who made the chili. i'm unsure what the specific by laws state and if we were in any violation of them

If I remember correctly, the 1932 Klausner ruling applies here?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
jfc that's a deep cut

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Good chili cookbooks?

I just found this on Amazon and I’m wondering if it’s worth a buy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RRT34O6/?coliid=I2NVOV958XKFEO&colid=11GG29WHC6ECF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Good chili cookbooks?

I just found this on Amazon and I’m wondering if it’s worth a buy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RRT34O6/?coliid=I2NVOV958XKFEO&colid=11GG29WHC6ECF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I do not cook chili from a book. He who cooks chili from a book has forgotten the face of his father. I cook chili from my heart.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sfwarlock posted:

I do not cook chili from a book. He who cooks chili from a book has forgotten the face of his father. I cook chili from my with heart.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I actually have that book, but I can't say I've cooked anything from it. I'll take a closer look at it and see.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sfwarlock posted:

I do not cook chili from a book. He who cooks chili from a book has forgotten the face of his father. I cook chili from my heart.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I do not cook chili from a book. He who cooks chili from a book has forgotten the face of his father. I cook chili with heart.

Both of these are correct.

In general though, anyone who believes that there are 60 chili recipes different enough to be worth documenting, is not someone you should be taking chili advice from. :colbert:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sfwarlock posted:

I never said I was gonna follow the recipes to the letter. I’m just looking for inspiration is all. I’d love to have a good southwest chicken chili recipe.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I never said I was gonna follow the recipes to the letter. I’m just looking for inspiration is all. I’d love to have a good southwest chicken chili recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/chili-recipes

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Holy gently caress. Thank you. You just saved me like $15 bucks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bump to protect from archive

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I think I'm going to try something like this on my next attempt at making chili.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Made my first chili of the season. Just went with a simple recipe inspired by my mom’s chili with some stuff I’ve picked up along the way.

Browned some onions, tossed in some whole garlic cloves, added some jalapeño and another kind of fresh pepper, added some chipotle salsa and tomato paste and stirred that all together and put it on low while I caramelized some canned peeled tomatoes (just put it on a dry pan until they start to blacken). Added the tomatoes and some tomato sauce to the main pot, added a Bud heavy, and blended it all together with the immersion blender. Dump in some strained/washed canned beans, and brown up 3 lbs of ground beef and wait a while and you have some traditional white people who are not from Texas chili.

Garnish with preshredded cheese and serve with Saltines and pickles.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
This was my most recent batch. It's intentionally mild, my toddler actually ate some. Served with cheese, sour cream, Fritos scoops, hot sauce for me. I'm not a health nut or vegetarian I just like tofu. I used to use tomato paste too but I think it's better without. I like a lot of umami boosters but not Marmite like Kenji's I feel like there are tastier options.

Firm tofu drained, fine cubed
Package ground pork
Onion
Garlic
Dried Yellow Hominy Corn presoaked
1 can Diced Tomato
1 can chili Pinto beans
Can coca cola
1 lager beer (used Tsingtao)
1 ancho pepper
1 pasilla pepper
1 new mexico pepper
Liquid Smoke
Cumin
Black Pepper
Tiny piece cinnamon
Homemade chicken stock concentrate
Fish sauce
Miso paste
Chicken, pork, beef bouillon

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Do you fry the tofu before putting it in the stew or just throw in the cubes?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Both

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

von Braun posted:

Do you fry the tofu before putting it in the stew or just throw in the cubes?

I dry saute/fry the meat, onions, garlic, tofu first. It was probably not enough to give it any true color though. It may have been worth it to brown it some in retrospect.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Spicey pickle slices, in my chili?...

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Junkie Disease posted:

Spicey pickle slices, in my chili?...

Next to your chili fam

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The pickled jalapenos go on top with the sour cream and green onions.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
accidentally bought a German weissbier/Hefeweizen, still good in chili instead of a lager?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ended up getting a can of Modelo instead. Glad I did, because I just won work's 6th annual chili cook off for the 3rd time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

loving time machines dude.

I'll probably throw in some german giberish beer in my first for the season. way too hot to share though, about as many chilies as tomatoes