Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

loving hell those cameos were great. Most shows would have been happy with just Garrett (the vampire)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Somebody is friends w/ Tilda Swinton, or she really loves the show. Pretty awesome that she'd do the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm going to go ahead and recklessly assume The Ancient One joins the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
fuk this show is so good

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
You guys think Gizmo is gonna turn into some sort of hardcore vampire slayer?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This was the best episode yet, I can't believe they managed to get so many different guest stars.

Buller posted:

Pretty sure he already is one, albeit unintentionally, dude has a kill count of two and growing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that was loving NUTS and I loved it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Somebody is friends w/ Tilda Swinton, or she really loves the show. Pretty awesome that she'd do the show.

She was really into it too, just hamming it up like crazy!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that was excellent. Between this and UK's Ghosts it's been a good year for horror comedy shows!

Yes 2 is a good year for horror comedy.

Also, I've never seen Only Lovers Left Alive. I didn't know Tilda Swinton was ever a vampire in anything. Time to get a watching.

After the show we sat here thinking of other famous vampire actors that they could get to make cameos (Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Beverly D'Angelo as an ancient).

What's nice is that Taika's Q score is flying up right now which means not only would FX renew the show, but as his movies do better each time he should keep being able to pull in people for the show that would want to work with him. Give him 2 more seasons and another Thor billion dollar movie and Tom and Brad might be asking to show up.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 9, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only Lovers Left Alive is an awesome movie, although it’s more of a Jim Jarmusch movie that happens to have vampires as its leads than a traditional vampire movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't seen Only Lovers Left Alive yet either, I should pr-

Escobarbarian posted:

a Jim Jarmusch movie

Oh motherfucker why the gently caress haven't I seen this? :stare:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Last two episodes has been fantastic, I'm glad the series hasn't turned to be a limited gimmick.

I guess the LARP girl who was turned vampire and haven't appeared in the last episode will re-appear again, maybe in the last ep of the season. Poor Guillermo, learning that someone was turned just like that, without having to wait 10 years as servant.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waltzing Along posted:

Here's an interview with the producers discussing how all this happened: https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/09/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-season-1-episode-7/

JEMAINE CLEMENT: Well, Taika and I were talking about appearing in the show, but trying to think how our characters would be in Staten Island, or with those characters in New Zealand, or in a third location, and also keeping an eye on story. I’d been to SXSW with [the movie version of] What We Do in the Shadows, and Tilda Swinton was there [with Only Lovers Left Alive], and our films were playing almost together, two vampire films. She said, “Do something where our vampire characters are together.” I just locked that away in my brain.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Only Lovers Left Alive and What We Do In The Shadows having an unofficial crossover was great. Who were the other celebs that didn't make it? I was laughing too hard to catch the first couple of names.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Only Lovers Left Alive and What We Do In The Shadows having an unofficial crossover was great. Who were the other celebs that didn't make it? I was laughing too hard to catch the first couple of names.

Kiefer (Sutherland), Tom and Brad (Cruise and Pitt), Rob (Pattinson or Zombie, I wasn't sure which)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
twilight

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

:doh: I was completely blanking on which actor they meant when they said Rob. It's so obvious now that I have the answer!

I also loved Laszlo blurting out 'I was Jack the Ripper!' and Nandor going on about the axe likely being welded to the wall.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
They put a ton of effort into the other local member of the council, who appeared for only a second or two:

* Tiny Baby Vampire fangs
* Tiny Vampiric Council outfit
* A baby bottle full of blood

This show is amazing. The entire episode was great, but Evan's "That's fukken rough" and Colin Robinson's "The gently caress can I do?" killed me.

What movie was the sunrise scene aping? I feel like it might have been Nosferatu, but I can't remember.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 9, 2019

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

boo_radley posted:

They put a ton of effort into the other local member of the council, who appeared for only a second or two:

* Tiny Baby Vampire fangs
* Tiny Vampiric Council outfit
* A baby bottle full of blood

This show is amazing. The entire episode was great, but Evan's "That's fukken rough" and Colin Robinson's "The gently caress can I do?" killed me.

What movie was the sunrise scene aping? I feel like it might have been Nosferatu, but I can't remember.

I assumed they were referencing the well scene in Interview.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Buller posted:

I’m hoping they keep having him accidentally kill vampires as a running gag.

I can’t believe they got Wesley Snipes and put him on a Skype call. I love this show.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 9, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Enderzero posted:

I can’t believe the advertising didn’t spoil any of the council. That was great.

Seriously. I thought the schaal cameo was gonna be the treat of this episode. So goddamn good and the baby vampire being left in harlem or wherever was such a good joke they didnt have to put it on the screen, but I'm glad they did

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Madurai posted:

I assumed they were referencing the well scene in Interview.

I wonder if Gizmo would have been any happier if Antonio had shown up for the council...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LividLiquid posted:

Was that show any good? I caught episode 2 or 3 or so when visiting family and there were two men already, so I figured any show that abandon's its premise that early was creatively bankrupt and never thought about it again until just now.

without spoiling much, forte's character is an awful human and is grating by design. I actually walked away after the first season but gave it a shot later on hulu and grew to love it. The show's world grows quite a bit. It isnt all phil in a margarita pool in LA for 4 seasons or whatever and just doing the same jokes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DRUG BLUD

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
nadjias amazement at schaal teleporting around was good. Berry boy may be able to make anything he says funny but nadjias really become my favorite of the 4 housepires.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
God drat that was a crazy episode. Try and find a single episode of any other TV show that had a guest cast anywhere near as good as that, even The Simpsons couldn't pull that off. The guests all totally nailed their roles as well.

boo_radley posted:

The whole episode was stuffed full of Interview With The Vampire reference with the "Execution by well" scene referencing Claudia's death, the whole "Turning a child into a vampire, that's hosed up" running joke also being a reference to Claudia and the Vampire Council being a reference to the Theatre des Vampires who sentenced Louis and Claudia to death for attempting to kill their maker.
Edit: I guess the supposedly dead master vampire still clinging to life is also something of a reference to Interview.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 9, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Enderzero posted:

I’m hoping they keep having him accidentally kill vampires as a running gag.

I can’t believe they got Wesley Snipes and put him on a Skype call. I love this show.

...Wesley Skypes...

*bows

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

...Wesley Skypes...

*bows

"Wait, the Baron's dead?!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So everybody on the council, including the ones just mentioned in passing, played Vampires in other poo poo, right?

Paul Ruebens was in Buffy. Kiefer was in The Lost Boys. Danny Trejo was in From Dusk til Dawn. Tom and Brad are Cruise and Pitt from Interview. Snipes was Blade. Who else am I missing?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
My only complaint was that it wasn't a full hour episode.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

LividLiquid posted:

So everybody on the council, including the ones just mentioned in passing, played Vampires in other poo poo, right?

Paul Ruebens was in Buffy. Kiefer was in The Lost Boys. Danny Trejo was in From Dusk til Dawn. Tom and Brad are Cruise and Pitt from Interview. Snipes was Blade. Who else am I missing?

Evan Rachel Wood was in True Blood.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I really appreciate that Paul Reubens was the only famous person on the counsel who was decked out to look like his character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer even though they were all playing themselves.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

I really appreciate that Paul Reubens was the only famous person on the counsel who was decked out to look like his character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer even though they were all playing themselves.

I think everyone had at least some costuming touches from their vampire characters--Evan Rachel Wood definitely had her Queen Sophie hair.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Last two episodes has been fantastic, I'm glad the series hasn't turned to be a limited gimmick.

I guess the LARP girl who was turned vampire and haven't appeared in the last episode will re-appear again, maybe in the last ep of the season. Poor Guillermo, learning that someone was turned just like that, without having to wait 10 years as servant.

Interesting fact about that actress, Beanie Feldstein, is that she is Jonah Hill's younger sister.

Only thing a little bit disappointing about the episode was that they didn't get Cori Gonzalez-Macuer to have Nick just hanging around in the background or something.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Discussing the baby:

"You really hosed up there."

"I certainly did."

"Maybe we should visit it."

"I'd rather not."

This made me laugh more and more the longer I thought about it. "I'd rather not."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Matt Berry had some hilariously sociopathic lines in this one, typing them out they don't seem like they should be funny ("Frankly I was really bored" and "I was Jack the Ripper"), but the way he says them makes them amazing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Matt Berry had some hilariously sociopathic lines in this one, typing them out they don't seem like they should be funny ("Frankly I was really bored" and "I was Jack the Ripper"), but the way he says them makes them amazing.

From a vampire's pic, being Jack the ripper is just, like, playing with your food.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerkface posted:

nadjias amazement at schaal teleporting around was good. Berry boy may be able to make anything he says funny but nadjias really become my favorite of the 4 housepires.

Her little looks at the camera are great. I mean, they're a trope in the "docuseries" format, but she is aces at it.

Also I think we may not have seen the last of The Barren, with that little eye light up on his corpse when they poured blood down his mouth.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Astroman posted:

Her little looks at the camera are great. I mean, they're a trope in the "docuseries" format, but she is aces at it.

Also I think we may not have seen the last of The Barren, with that little eye light up on his corpse when they poured blood down his mouth.

I mean, he is nicknamed "The Undying"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Madurai posted:

I think everyone had at least some costuming touches from their vampire characters--Evan Rachel Wood definitely had her Queen Sophie hair.

Tilda Swinton also had her Only Lovers Left Alive hair and Danny Trejo's From Dusk Till Dawn vampire was also shirtless