Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

Are we sure his defensive schemes are actually good? It's hard to separate that from personnel but I think it could also be a case of his defense being so influential that teams have figured out ways to successfully counter it.

Regardless i think it's pretty unlikely that any coach is going to get LeBron to try all that hard on defense in the regular season (which to be clear I think is probably a reasonable approach for him given his career minutes). Lue couldn't do it in Cleveland so I don't know why he'd suddenly be able to now.

I'm fine with him not selling out on defense constantly but he can't be a tick above 2016 James Harden like he was the second half of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
How offended is Derek Fisher than he hasn't been able to somehow get himself into this discussion? At least he hit that one shot and is friends with knows Kobe in addition to being bad at coaching

E: I did not realize they already gave him the pity hire with the Sparks lol

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/negativedunks/status/1126248113973415937?s=19

e: vvvvv I meant to and missed sorry Rick

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 8, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you're just going to post twitter links can you do it in the other thread please???? Please??

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

So is this gonna end with Jason Kidd just getting the head coaching job?

Feel like Kidd will wanna pick his assistants, too

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Feel like Kidd will wanna pick his assistants, too

The assistant they want is supposedly Jason Kidd so I feel like that solves itself

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thibs to LA

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hi Boston

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bye kyrie

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Danny Ainge is paying for his crime against humanity

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be extremely funny if everyone leaves the celtics and the nets beat them in a playoff series

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Boston Celtics fans. I don't fully understand what went wrong, probably a lot of things, but the Celtics have the tools to reload and try something different.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
So much stuff is going to get leaked out of Boston this offseason

https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/1126328312274530304?s=21

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/LakersSBN/status/1126324740686274560?s=19

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
One of Silver's unfinished vat clones look like he escaped and is sitting courtside in that pic.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've got bad news for you Lue.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The craziest thing about Buddy Hield was when used an exp hack to that raised his skill and age.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

If you're just going to post twitter links can you do it in the other thread please???? Please??

is this not the thread for news about loser teams not in the playoffs?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
6 mil per is pretty decent for a first contract with a team, and pretty standard for dudes on their second job after getting fired (like, it's what coach Bud is making). Guys don't usually start making bucks unless they survive to the second contract with a team. Maybe the Knicks will beat that next year if Fizzdale is the fall guy but that's pretty much the deal other teams are gonna offer too.

I dunno I wouldn't have minded the Lakers beating it because they have the money and I really do believe in Ty Lue but it kind of feels like another Rich Paul overplay.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

is this not the thread for news about loser teams not in the playoffs?

I'm hoping for discussion of that news. Like i"m obviously not the king of the world and people are going to do what they want.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

morestuff posted:

this other rozier quote would seem to send uh, just a slightly different message

https://twitter.com/VinceGoodwill/status/1126363196535857152

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Terry Rozier is really riding that one good playoff series because he's suckered rear end otherwise

going to suck when the suns pay him a bunch of money

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

if kyrie leaves do the celtics try for kemba amd basically just recreate their flawed 2019 team with a more emotionally stable pg?

also it’s loving wild how the celtics situation deterioriated between 2017 and now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Danny leaking a bunch of negative Kyrie stories to the Boston Media Defense Squad the second it becomes clear he's for sure leaving is going to be fun

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

already started http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26702069/kyrie-irving-failed-leadership-tells-story-celtics-failed-season

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sometimes i wonder if boston media has to be fed the stories or if they’re just circling the upcoming FAs like sharks

then again kyrie did himself basically 0 favors all season long so who knows

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

IM JACKED AND JUICED

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

sometimes i wonder if boston media has to be fed the stories or if they’re just circling the upcoming FAs like sharks

then again kyrie did himself basically 0 favors all season long so who knows

Bontemps is a national guy, that article mostly just recaps the stuff Kyrie caught poo poo for all year. The real dirt is going to come from like the Globe or some dumbass radio guy

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

if kyrie leaves do the celtics try for kemba amd basically just recreate their flawed 2019 team with a more emotionally stable pg?

also it’s loving wild how the celtics situation deterioriated between 2017 and now

I don't think they can, they wouldn't have the cap space unless Horford also declines his option.

Utimately this is all pointless unless Hayward is magically fixed next year. You can't give up a max slot contract for a replacement level player and still hope to be competitive.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

The Lakers don't want to give any coach a long term contract.
https://twitter.com/Stadium/status/1126495411588489217?s=19

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is there any reason why a team with the Lakers' resources would actually care about this

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

morestuff posted:

Is there any reason why a team with the Lakers' resources would actually care about this

I'm guessing that they want a coach who's on the same timeline as LeBron, but yes it's loving stupid.

You give them the 5 year contract because it's worth it at this point just to stabilize things.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I mean unless you're targeting a coach out of college or someone high profile I don't see why they should offer 5 years to a retread coach who's never lasted 2 years on the job. Seems like a big ask for an uninspiring option.
But I guess I see the logic in trying to get it done.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The Lakers really aren't expecting LeBron to stay long, are they.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

Aside from money it's probably better to have a coach's contract end vs firing him from an optics point of view so a shorter contract at least gives you that. Honestly though, I think the Lakers are probably not working from a great plan at this point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Probably Magic posted:

The Lakers really aren't expecting LeBron to stay long, are they.

LeBron is going to play with whatever team drafts his son

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'm guessing that they want a coach who's on the same timeline as LeBron, but yes it's loving stupid.

You give them the 5 year contract because it's worth it at this point just to stabilize things.

You say this like five year contracts are common for coaches but they aren't. It's usually 3 years or 4 years for a coach that is in high enough demand that they can demand something extra. And that 4th year is actually a team option half the time. Like BMV said, college coaches often get a 5 year offer to lure them over but even that is rarer these days.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

You say this like five year contracts are common for coaches but they aren't. It's usually 3 years or 4 years for a coach that is in high enough demand that they can demand something extra. And that 4th year is actually a team option half the time. Like BMV said, college coaches often get a 5 year offer to lure them over but even that is rarer these days.

It's not exactly rare either, though. The last few hires:

Monty Williams - five years
Luke Walton - four years
Jim Boylen - undisclosed but reportedly "likely" three years
Nick Nurse - three years
Dwayne Casey - five years
Steve Clifford - four years
Mike Budenholzer - four years
Lloyd Pierce - four years
James Borrego - four years
David Fizdale - four years
Mike D'Antoni - four years
Nate McMillan - three years
Scott Brooks - five years

I'm sure salary and options play a part in the contract length, but holding fast on three years for an experienced coach still seems unusual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/JokicHive/status/1126569328634155010

welp