Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

the second photo is a different game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

morestuff posted:

It's not exactly rare either, though. The last few hires:

Monty Williams - five years
Luke Walton - four years
Jim Boylen - undisclosed but reportedly "likely" three years
Nick Nurse - three years
Dwayne Casey - five years
Steve Clifford - four years
Mike Budenholzer - four years
Lloyd Pierce - four years
James Borrego - four years
David Fizdale - four years
Mike D'Antoni - four years
Nate McMillan - three years
Scott Brooks - five years

I'm sure salary and options play a part in the contract length, but holding fast on three years for an experienced coach still seems unusual

I mean a lot of guys on this list are a good argument against four year coaching contracts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

chunkles posted:

the second photo is a different game

don't ruin the joke! :v:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

It's not exactly rare either, though. The last few hires:

Monty Williams - five years
Luke Walton - four years
Jim Boylen - undisclosed but reportedly "likely" three years
Nick Nurse - three years
Dwayne Casey - five years
Steve Clifford - four years
Mike Budenholzer - four years
Lloyd Pierce - four years
James Borrego - four years
David Fizdale - four years
Mike D'Antoni - four years
Nate McMillan - three years
Scott Brooks - five years

I'm sure salary and options play a part in the contract length, but holding fast on three years for an experienced coach still seems unusual

Coaches don't have a union, because they're management, but they share one of two or three coach agents. I assume that agents just won't sign their clients to a deal under 3 years, because it makes them look disposable, which is bad for both sides. I assume the longer ones have stronger offset clauses. Go to NBATV to do analysis, don't get paid, get hired as an assistant in Toronto, don't get paid (after being fired)

Could be wrong. But it seems true

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Coaches don't have a union, because they're management, but they share one of two or three coach agents. I assume that agents just won't sign their clients to a deal under 3 years, because it makes them look disposable, which is bad for both sides. I assume the longer ones have stronger offset clauses. Go to NBATV to do analysis, don't get paid, get hired as an assistant in Toronto, don't get paid (after being fired)

Could be wrong. But it seems true

Yeah, I think you're right. I think people generally way underestimate the effect agents have on the Sport and with Coaches making what they do now it makes sense for them to psuedo-organize under the agents.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lue used to be represented by Klutch but apparently that is no longer the case.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was worried the protest would be embarrassing (or, rather, it's already embarrassing at the base level of protesting a franchise that very likely allowed the fans there to experience winning 3-10 titles in their lifetime while the loving world is burning down, but I was worried it would somehow manage to be embarrassing in excess of that) but it really just looks kind of boring.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think the only interesting part was Clipper Darrell showing up to talk poo poo.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
I too would be insulted if someone offered me a job so rare there are only 30 total in the whole world.
Thanks for blowing that 3-1 lead Golden State!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chilihead posted:

I too would be insulted if someone offered me a job so rare there are only 30 total in the whole world.
Thanks for blowing that 3-1 lead Golden State!

I didn't even realize that when you're just a very low double digit millionaire you still have" go gently caress yourself I don't want to beg Lebron to play defense and watch as he rolls his eyes and sticks his tongue out like he's exhausted when I'm trying a different lineup of young guys" money

But he does have a ring, so that gives him extra prestige

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we can all agree the absolute funniest lakers hire would be david blatt

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1126315363606630401

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rick posted:

I was worried the protest would be embarrassing (or, rather, it's already embarrassing at the base level of protesting a franchise that very likely allowed the fans there to experience winning 3-10 titles in their lifetime while the loving world is burning down, but I was worried it would somehow manage to be embarrassing in excess of that) but it really just looks kind of boring.

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1126941589929172994

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

lol at fans that did this.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lakers Exceptionalism, baby!!!!

where's Lakers Fan dot gif when you need him

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

edit wrong thread

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

chunkles posted:

edit wrong thread

it turned out to be the right thread after all

i'd just like to let you all know that i've learned nothing from this. rockets 2020 nba champs baby

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not like suicidal or anything but this game was really really bad for my mental state and I unironically need someone to help me feel like I'm going to be okay because I had a brutal day capped off by that steaming turd.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
You're a good poster and seem like a friendly and thoughtful person. I'm sorry your day sucked and I'm sorry that the fraudulent rockets lost to bitch made Steph Curry and company.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not like suicidal or anything but this game was really really bad for my mental state and I unironically need someone to help me feel like I'm going to be okay because I had a brutal day capped off by that steaming turd.

It's just a bunch of strangers throwing a ball at a hoop man. It's just for fun, don't let it wreck your mood. Tomorrow is another day, go kick it's rear end.

Plus Durant and Klay are gonna leave and y'all can go wreck them next year. Until then, root for Giannis, he's dope as hell.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 11, 2019

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

my man, it's time to make the leap onto the Hawks bandwagon with John Collins

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

It's just a bunch of strangers throwing a ball at a hoop man. It's just for fun, don't let it wreck your mood. Tomorrow is another day, go kick it's rear end.

Plus Durant and Klay are gonna leave and y'all can go wreck them next year.

I appreciate it MV, I know we've had our moments over the years. I'm just TIRED, man. That's the only way I can think to put it. Life has worn me down about things much more consequential than the little things so then the little things touch already raw nerves. I just want some wins, literally or figuratively.

I'm not saying I have the worst life ever or anything like that it's just got me down right now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1127028692364951554?s=19

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You're a far better poster than I ever will be and by comparison make Houston sports fans look semi reasonable and sane.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

You're a far better poster than I ever will be and by comparison make Houston sports fans look semi reasonable and sane.

While I'm technically only a Houston fan since it's where Chris resides currently, I genuinely appreciate it. :)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Devote your sports energy to Aminu for at least one game

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Devote your sports energy to Aminu for at least one game

I can do that I guess. I really like the Nugs tho. :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I can do that I guess. I really like the Nugs tho. :(

So it’s a win-win!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/MattMaloneyNBA/status/1127089763335405568?s=19

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Houston Rockets fans. I feel a lot better about this team than I did about them at the end of last year and way better than the years prior. Which is interesting because the Rockets started the year out looking cooked. I guess congrats to Morey for having the scapegoat in Melo and James Harden for carrying this team for like three and a half months of the season. This is obviously not the way that Rocket fans wanted to see the season end, and it sucks that someone has to lose, but I think the title window is still open. Even if Durant doesn't leave. The Rockets are so close. If you think back to Mavs, or even farther back to the Jerry West Lakers, these are teams that got so close to the mountain top again and again against the teams of the generation, and they managed to eventually get their win, so there's still reason to have hope.

Fooches, I often poke at the things you post but you could post poop poop pee pee all day long and I wouldn't give a gently caress because you're one of this forum's best people without a doubt. I have seen you offer help to people over and over and over again over the years, even though you yourself are definitely not playing life on easy mode. You care about people and back your care up with actions and it's amazing. I respect the hell out of you.

It is true that sports are supposed to theoretically bring joy, and for some of us, that joy is something that can really help patch over some holes in life, especially if some of those sorts of things that may normally fill those holes for many people may not be present or more challenging to acquire; unfortunately sports aren't always fair, and it sucks when things don't go well and those patches don't come. But I often almost think that the time when that joy isn't being brought by the sport is also useful, because it's a type of sadness that I can put in a box and throw away without any consequence, which almost can be a bit of simple joy in itself in a world where I cannot very easily dismiss any of my normal problems. I don't know if that idea is helpful or not for you but honestly I'm not worried even if it isn't because you seem very strong and are going to do your best to push through your problems and probably end up fine in the long run.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

aren't the rockets capped out with like 5 players next year? that's really really bad

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Rick posted:

Welcome Houston Rockets fans. I feel a lot better about this team than I did about them at the end of last year and way better than the years prior. Which is interesting because the Rockets started the year out looking cooked. I guess congrats to Morey for having the scapegoat in Melo and James Harden for carrying this team for like three and a half months of the season. This is obviously not the way that Rocket fans wanted to see the season end, and it sucks that someone has to lose, but I think the title window is still open. Even if Durant doesn't leave. The Rockets are so close. If you think back to Mavs, or even farther back to the Jerry West Lakers, these are teams that got so close to the mountain top again and again against the teams of the generation, and they managed to eventually get their win, so there's still reason to have hope.
Yeah, I basically agree with this. Obviously the reaction right now gonna be doom and gloom and anger, given how the series the played out without Durant, and all the fun narratives about harden, dantoni, moreyball, etc.

Its gonna be interesting to see what Houston does this offseason. Obviously flexibility is extremely limited with the salaries they have on the books, and they don't have many assets to work with. There is going to be a lot of pressure to make a splashy move of some sort, given how this season and series played out, but its hard to see how that happens, or if it is a particularly good idea. The Rockets insider rumors are Morey still wants to chase Butler, not sure how that would work, but Morey is perpetually chasing stars so sounds about right. There could definitely be a temptation to try to change the makeup of the team by trading some of the non Harden/CP3 pieces. And after Houston openly dodged the luxury tax this season, the fan pressure is gonna be on to spend if that is what it takes.

I thought Morey did a pretty decent job scrapping together a bench during the season, all things considered, but last offseason wasn't exactly great. Morey is going to face A LOT of heat if he doesn't have some sort of upgrade(s) to point to by the fall, justified or not. I'd be happy if he could just find a couple bench players who can play on both sides of the court, but with no money that isn't exactly easy either.

Winning the championship is hard, especially when you have to go through one of the best teams ever, even with injuries, to do it. But when you're as close as Houston is, not being able to get over that hump is really frustrating.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I was really impressed with how Houston rallied this year, obviously behind a generational performance by Harden. The bench rounded into form this year but I wonder if shaking the table and moving Capela's big salary for someone else on the wing will be the next move. Capela's value is a double edged sword since a ton of his offense is helped by having CP3 and Harden create looks for him so that's a risk any acquiring team has to assume. Good defense at the 5 is always hard to replace but with Tucker able to go to the 5 in their closeout lineups I don't think it'll matter too much

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

I was really impressed with how Houston rallied this year, obviously behind a generational performance by Harden. The bench rounded into form this year but I wonder if shaking the table and moving Capela's big salary for someone else on the wing will be the next move. Capela's value is a double edged sword since a ton of his offense is helped by having CP3 and Harden create looks for him so that's a risk any acquiring team has to assume. Good defense at the 5 is always hard to replace but with Tucker able to go to the 5 in their closeout lineups I don't think it'll matter too much

I'd be really reluctant to move Capela, he obviously had a rough series but he is generally crucial to this Houston team and has played well in the playoffs in the past. His salary isn't really a problem at all, its a good deal. He is certainly Houston's biggest trade chip, but he does a ton for this team, and I wouldn't want to move him unless its in a deal for some sort of all star, which as you mentioned, Capela's value is probably lower to other teams. I don't think Tucker can play the 5 against most teams, and Houston's defense during the season was shocking when Capela was out, it was like a free run at the basket.

He may not be the best piece against the Warriors in particular, but how far do you want to go building a team solely to beat the Warriors when, especially if Durant leaves, they're likely not the only or possibly even biggest challenge next year.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Thanks for the cool positive post Rick. And yeah foochs buddy we got to get you a better life starting this weekend so you can enjoy the round ball in hoop game with ironic detachment.

This team took a bit of a step back this year, it was cool to see them rally towards the end of the season and I was not expecting them to beat the Jazz as handily as they did, think luck played a role there.

Trading Capela would be pretty crazy at this point. I don't think two bad playoffs is quite enough to trade a 24 year old on a good salary although that big wet fart he laid this series is particularly bad. That said it's hard to see who else could be the centerpiece of a big trade for them, so it might happen.

It would be nice to see them address the kind of play that caused them to lose to lineups with Shaun Livingston and Quin Cook and poo poo. Jimmy isoball works well for them generally but I would like to see them add some real motion sets. In particular I think that Crisp Paul contract is bad but it's not going to be like, John Wall bad unless he gets terribly injured (quite possible) or they keep having him play like James Harden when Harden sits. If we could actually generate some open shots and passing lanes for him I think he could still be a good contributor. He was beastly last night for a 34 year old not named LeBron.

Hard to see a path to improvement this offseason but then they were total trash to the start of the season and ended up being a homecourt team so we'll see. I'm actually not in FIRE/TRADE anyone mode right now although I am concerned the new owner is a cheap gently caress.

In summation, we would have won this series if we had kept Zhou Qi

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I really appreciate Houston going all-in to compete over the last few years even if things didn’t work out

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

doug bucket is signed for the next two years at $7.3 million

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

morestuff posted:

I really appreciate Houston going all-in to compete over the last few years even if things didn’t work out

Yeah. Its easy to make fun of the results but they've been the only team at least in the west who has even mounted a serious challenge to Golden State and I give them credit for doing that.

And I know the back end of Chris Paul's contract is nasty, but thats the pill Houston had to swallow. Its not like they had a buffet of options, the nature of the NBA right now is you have to try to manuever to fit multiple max contracts on your payroll, preferably the best players you can find, and roll with that. I'm sure Morey would have rather had that contract going to someone 5 or 10 years younger but that wasn't the option, it was Paul or no one. I'm good with 2-3 more seasons a team anchored by Harden and Paul, its not perfect,but its a better situation than probably 20-25 teams have right now.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

G-Hawk posted:

I'd be really reluctant to move Capela, he obviously had a rough series but he is generally crucial to this Houston team and has played well in the playoffs in the past. His salary isn't really a problem at all, its a good deal. He is certainly Houston's biggest trade chip, but he does a ton for this team, and I wouldn't want to move him unless its in a deal for some sort of all star, which as you mentioned, Capela's value is probably lower to other teams. I don't think Tucker can play the 5 against most teams, and Houston's defense during the season was shocking when Capela was out, it was like a free run at the basket.

He may not be the best piece against the Warriors in particular, but how far do you want to go building a team solely to beat the Warriors when, especially if Durant leaves, they're likely not the only or possibly even biggest challenge next year.

I agree, I didn't realize Capela was going to stay in the 15-20M range for his deal. that's way better. I think Houston will probably keep him, for what it's worth. Run it back one more time with this core and you probably go further if the Warriors break up after this year

I don't doubt Daryl Morey's ability to work cap magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cp3 for jamal crawford and josh jackson

edit: http://tradenba.com/trades/HJ6MBOE2N