Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do people have any specific recommendations beyond makeMKV? After a move I have consolidated all my dvds into plastic sleeves and some shoebox-sized boxes, with an eventual next step of ripping everything and getting a RAID setup for Plex. I want to keep commentary tracks but don’t really care about anything else.

Is MakeMKV a good standard for that?

MakeMKV basically copies the DVD/bluray file to the computer with whatever audio tracks you want and leaves the video/audio untouched. If that’s too big for you, use Handbrake to compress it down.

If you’re primarily doing DVDs and whatever you’re playing them back on doesn’t natively support MPEG2 (because it’s old and most of these boxes are designed to stream internet poo poo that doesn’t use it) then Plex will have to reencode the files anyway, so you mights well do that.

ruddiger posted:

I didn't realize how small 4+ TB drives have gotten. I went into Best Buy the other day looking for a harddrive and bought a 4TB for around a hundred bucks. I really need to start ripping my dvd collection (1500+), every day I get mildly paranoid about discs rotting or getting scratched up and unplayable.

When the WD externals go on sale, you can get a 10tb drive for around the $160 mark at BestBuy. It’s pretty insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

It's probably because that drive is USB2, which is too slow to be doing this sort of thing. You'll see better times if you get a USB3 drive.

Lmao. So I got more details. He's getting faster speeds now that he's dropped it down to USB 2.0.

He got the drive for free from work. It's branded with his company's logo. I'm laughing my rear end off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao. So I got more details. He's getting faster speeds now that he's dropped it down to USB 2.0.

He got the drive for free from work. It's branded with his company's logo. I'm laughing my rear end off.

That is profoundly stupid and wonderful :allears:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Eureka has a sale on early German cinema, including a bunch of Murnau and Lang: https://eurekavideo.co.uk/promotions/weimar-sale/

Grabbed Nosferatu and Die Nibelungen, personally.

It's a good chance to pick up Metropolis or The Blue Angel for cheap, too.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

drat, that's a ridiculous number of great films for cheap. Can anyone vouch for Eureka's Metropolis and Lubitsch in Berlin blu-rays?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Samuel Clemens posted:

drat, that's a ridiculous number of great films for cheap. Can anyone vouch for Eureka's Metropolis and Lubitsch in Berlin blu-rays?

Metropolis looks and sounds brilliant, and the commentary is missing from the Kino release so from what I remember it's the better package. It is region B locked though.

I also think there was some fuckery with the title cards that the Eureka release was much more faithful to the original on then other releases. The 20 odd minutes of previously lost footage looks rough, but it's presumably the best it'll ever get.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Just got back into buying blu-rays again after taking a few years off from it and it's amazing how cheap they are now compared to when I was collecting. My local pawn shop is selling blu-rays for $2 each and it wasn't just junk either. Insane.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Eureka has a sale on early German cinema, including a bunch of Murnau and Lang: https://eurekavideo.co.uk/promotions/weimar-sale/

Grabbed Nosferatu and Die Nibelungen, personally.

It's a good chance to pick up Metropolis or The Blue Angel for cheap, too.

God dammit I just bought that Early Murnau set like three weeks ago. At least it's really good! Obviously The Last Laugh towers over everything else in the set (and it's available as a solo disc in Region A if you don't want the whole set) but every title in the box has at least something worth seeing in it.

Echoing the praise for the Metropolis BD; it's up there with Man With A Movie Camera on the list of stuff I wrote off after screening hugely hosed-up prints all through film school and then later discovered that it's a whole different ballgame when it looks pristine. I have the Lubitsch set on DVD and haven't felt compelled to upgrade it (I'm relatively lukewarm on Lubitsch outside of To Be Or Not To Be and Heaven Can Wait), but everything in the set was worth watching at least once.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Also hell yeah https://shop.bfi.org.uk/pre-order-of-flesh-and-blood-the-cinema-of-hirokazu-kore-eda-4-blu-ray-box-set.html#.XNZmDLcRWh_

Wish it had Shoplifters too, but I can get that separately I guess.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

:dance: Though I'm not sure I will ever dare re-watch Nobody Knows - I can't take that much crying. (On my own part, not crying in the film. I'm also hesitating to re-watch Grave of the Fireflies.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For anyone like me who grew up with Field of Dreams, the UHD that released yesterday is really really nice. Grain is pretty much perfect and the HDR enhances everything but without ever going too far. I hadn't seen the movie in about 10 years and this really felt like the definitive experience(after having watched it countless times on cable t.v. as a kid).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
How was the Backdraft UHD?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Also extremely good. Assuming you like the movie of course, I know it's not exactly a masterpiece. But all the flames are predictably beautiful and the higher resolution really does a lot for those scenes too because you've got little particles flying around everywhere and all the characters are caked in sweat and grime, etc.

I think when it comes to these catalog releases, the studios have now figured out how to do it right and also which films stand to benefit the most from the format.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The problem with these UHD movies being really good is now is that I want to both see them, and buy them out of principal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

The problem with these UHD movies being really good is now is that I want to both see them, and buy them out of principal.

I know it's not the same as an actual disc, but I have digital codes for both if you're interested.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I know it's not the same as an actual disc, but I have digital codes for both if you're interested.

Thanks, but I'll definitely be getting Backdraft at some point

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm intrested if you have them

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Island Nation posted:

I'm intrested if you have them

I can PM them to you when I get home later.

I never know where to post a lot of these codes(unless it's a horror movie or a comic book/action movie) because I figure in the physical media thread people wouldn't be as interested in digital stuff.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The Hannibal UHD is, unsurprisingly, a massive improvement over the old BD (which was garbage). https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13133&d2=13132&s1=131085&s2=131069&i=0&l=0

I hated the film the first time I saw it, but I have since come to love it as a piece of absurd grand guignol.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Basebf555 posted:

I can PM them to you when I get home later.

I never know where to post a lot of these codes(unless it's a horror movie or a comic book/action movie) because I figure in the physical media thread people wouldn't be as interested in digital stuff.

Thank you

Is there any agreement on the best UHD player? I assume the Xbox One S takes it but I am unaware of the other devices that can do it as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Island Nation posted:

Thank you

Is there any agreement on the best UHD player? I assume the Xbox One S takes it but I am unaware of the other devices that can do it as well.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X70...ps%2C133&sr=8-3

It's not perfect, it has some issues handling older UHDs and it will lock up once in a while, but I just kinda accept that as part of the game with a format that's still relatively new. The key for me was that it supports Dolby Vision, which is actually not easy to find in a UHD player. So if you have a Dolby Vision t.v., I think this player is regarded as the consensus best option right now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Island Nation posted:

Thank you

Basebf555 posted:

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X70...ps%2C133&sr=8-3

It's not perfect, it has some issues handling older UHDs and it will lock up once in a while, but I just kinda accept that as part of the game with a format that's still relatively new. The key for me was that it supports Dolby Vision, which is actually not easy to find in a UHD player. So if you have a Dolby Vision t.v., I think this player is regarded as the consensus best option right now.
I have the same one based on The Wirecutter’s guide. It’s ok but feels surprisingly clunky coming from a PS3. I haven’t had any issues with it locking up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I have it as well. Got a great deal on BestBuy.com, and they’ll price match Amazon in most cases if you don’t want to feed that beast. I did have to swap one out in the first month from the BD laser going out, but otherwise it does the job. Loads quickly, small footprint.

I’ve read the One S is a pretty mediocre player but not sure of the specifics. It was something I considered when looking at UHD players.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Shining UHD - October 1 :spooky:

New 4K restoration with HDR. No details on audio, though I'd expect it to follow 2001 and Barry Lyndon's example by having both original mono and the 2000 5.1 remix. Early word is indicating it's the 146 min cut with the original ending, but I'd expect it to simply be the regular US cut. (Having all three cuts branched would be awesome, though)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 16, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

The Shining UHD - October 1 :spooky:

New 4K restoration with HDR. No details on audio, though I'd expect it to follow 2001 and Barry Lyndon's example by having both original mono and the 2000 5.1 remix. Early word is indicating it's the 146 min cut with the original ending, but I'd expect it to simply be the regular US cut. (Having all three cuts branched would be awesome, though)

This really is the year of the UHD :woop:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I try not to double dip for UHDs but anything Kubrick is a no-brainer exception. It helps that I bought The Shining on blu for only like $10 about 5 years ago, so spending a few bucks on a nice new version isn't too painful.

Ridley Scott is my other automatic double dip director. I have Alien and Blade Runner in three different formats.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was it Shining the one where it was full screen on dvd for some reason? I never pick it up on dvd or bluray so I don't know if that carried on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rirse posted:

Was it Shining the one where it was full screen on dvd for some reason? I never pick it up on dvd or bluray so I don't know if that carried on.

That's Kubrick's intended aspect ratio.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's Kubrick's intended aspect ratio.

Really?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not in any substantive way. Remember, he died back when 4:3 TVs were the norm, so for home video purposes he preferred fullscreen over letterboxing. Were he alive today I can't imagine the same would be true.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's true, he probably would've remastered it in a different way in this age. But that's what he intended at the time at least. Wonder if they'll include both version (I'm sure they'll just go with the widescreen version as per the blu-ray though). It was projected in 1.66:1 I believe?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
He shot it in 1.33:1 but composed it for 1.66:1, which was his intended ratio - I guess he did that with most of his later films, the idea being that he knew a full screen/TV version was going to happen so he wanted to keep it in mind when filming.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The blu ray is 1:85:1 and it looks great so I'd prefer they stick with that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
actually I might be wrong, he intended it widescreen for theaters but according to Wikipedia - "In accordance with stipulations contained in Kubrick's will, DVD releases show the film in open matte "

So, I dunno. I prefer the look of the bluray at least.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Do these UHDs that sport 4K remasters also use those same remasters on the included Blu-Ray, or do they simply just pack in the previously released original releases? I don’t have the UHD set-up, but I’d probably still buy a bunch of ‘em if the Blu-rays were upgrades.

EDIT: Good lord "previously released original releases," gently caress off, writing.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 16, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

caligulamprey posted:

Do these UHDs that sport 4K remasters also use those same remasters on the included Blu-Ray, or do they simply just pack in the previously released original releases? I don’t have the UHD set-up, but I’d probably still buy a bunch of ‘em if the Blu-rays were upgrades.
It depends. Off the top of my head I think Blade Runner uses the old BR but 2001 has a new one. You’ll have to read the reviews on every one of them to check.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
And the 4k Predator set still uses the old garbage DNR transfer for the 1080 disc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm still kicking myself for not getting the 3 Predator movie UHD box before The Predator came out, now I have to buy the 4 Predator movie UHD box, and I really didn't want two of those movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

david_a posted:

Hopefully it's as good as the Backdraft 2 release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZdUFhNOXUU

e: fixed video start time

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same writer as the first! How could it be bad??