Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Post-Beatles McCartney?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

Post-Beatles McCartney?

McCartney > Ram > Wild Life >Red Rose Speedway > Band on the Run is a seriously solid run of albums.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks! I had heard a little of Ram and I've heard Band on the Run, both of which sparked my interest. I'll be listening to these today.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Franchescanado posted:

McCartney > Ram > Wild Life >Red Rose Speedway > Band on the Run is a seriously solid run of albums.

Also Venus and Mars. The post-Wings era stuff is hit or miss. Flowers in the Dirt is the best of that era. There was a lot of collaboration with Elvis Costello on that album.

I actually quite like the new one, Egypt Station. I’m apparently in the minority on that.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I've just recently started in on technical death metal by basically following youtube suggestions (I'm getting stuff like Archspire, Rivers of Nihil, Whitechapel), and I'm enjoying the musical part of it, but I'm not really interested in the subject matter which is mostly lurid and/or nonsensical. What bands are there that don't emphasize the "death" part so much? Bonus for minimal cookie monster vocals.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tad Naff posted:

I've just recently started in on technical death metal by basically following youtube suggestions (I'm getting stuff like Archspire, Rivers of Nihil, Whitechapel), and I'm enjoying the musical part of it, but I'm not really interested in the subject matter which is mostly lurid and/or nonsensical. What bands are there that don't emphasize the "death" part so much? Bonus for minimal cookie monster vocals.

Rings of Saturn sounds right up your alley and all their lyrics are about aliens and sci-fi stuff

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tad Naff posted:

Early tech death like Atheist and Death (starting with Human) might be up your alley. If you want something pretty challenging but worth it I recommend Gorguts beginning with Obscura (the album in my avatar). The band Obscura is pretty good as well now that I think about it.

Some others:
Martyr
Psycroptic (particularly The Scepter of the Ancients)
Quo Vadis
Anata
Stargazer
Arsis
Nucleus (who have a goon frontman)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where do I start with Bad Religion?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Junpei posted:

Where do I start with Bad Religion?

So I'd probably start with their classic Epitaph albums - No Control, Suffer, Against the Grain. Of those three, I like ATG the best.

Beyond that -

Generator is a really good album, which also is a bit of a turning point. Greg's voice gets deeper, they have more musical variety.

Recipe For Hate is their big break out, but it is a little uneven. It's still worth it.

Stranger Than Fiction is really good, although the mix is terrible, with a ton of mid-range and not much else.

Let's forget the next few albums happen. There's some good moments, but... Overall they are eh. The New America is actually pretty good. Mr. Brett returns for one song. Half is really strong, the rest is okay, and then there's "I Love My Computer" which may be one of the worst songs I've ever heard. But "Don't Sell Me Short" is probably my favorite song by them. And that's the end of their journey with the major labels.

Their next three albums are also really good - Process of Belief, The Empire Strikes First, and New Maps of Hell. They are back in form, with good song writing filled with obscure vocabulary words.

At this point, I lose them. I'm not sure how the new stuff goes, but given their general consistency so far, I'd be surprised if it is terrible.

How Can Hell Be Any Worse is a good collection of their early stuff, but it's definitely a rough listen.

And then there's their second LP - Into the Unknown. Do you wish Bad Religion did more prog rock with lots of synths? If so, prepare to be amazed.

Actually, it's good.

But in short, go with their post mid-80s Epitaph albums - after that get Stranger Than Fiction, Process of Belief, the Empire Strikes First, a Dreamcast copy of Crazy Taxi, and then the New America.

And you'll have a good representation of their material. All Ages is also a good summary of the material before Recipe For Hate.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 14, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've knocked out two of the Five By Ramen (Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy), but I've only ever heard singles from the other three (Gym Class Heroes: Stereo Hearts and Cupid's Chokehold/Breakfast In America, Cobra Starship: You Make Me Feel... and Good Girls Go Bad, and ...well, I forget if I've listened to anything by The Academy Is...).

Any pro tips on starting those three?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Junpei posted:

I've knocked out two of the Five By Ramen (Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy), but I've only ever heard singles from the other three (Gym Class Heroes: Stereo Hearts and Cupid's Chokehold/Breakfast In America, Cobra Starship: You Make Me Feel... and Good Girls Go Bad, and ...well, I forget if I've listened to anything by The Academy Is...).

Any pro tips on starting those three?

GCH only have three albums I’m aware of, and I think it’d be hard to argue that you’re missing masterpieces if you never listened to them at all. Their first album is an okay high-school-Roots-imitation-from-Upstate-New-York, though I’ve always had a high school soft spot for the song Taxi Driver, which is written to shoehorn as many emo band names into one song as possible.

I never got into Cobra Starship other than the song they did for Snakes on a Plane with the singer from The Sounds. I had worn out on Gabe through Midtown, I’d give this albums a listen if they’re less him-circa-2005ish?

Can’t help with The Academy Is..., I don’t think I know any of their songs. Fall Out Boy and Panic! were/are the best bands on Fueled by Raman of that era. Looking at their current roster (they still have Paramore?!? How?), check out The Front Bottoms, I guess?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The only FBR band I ever listened to was the Impossibles, and I still like them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where do I start with Elvis Costello? I listened to Pump It Up, which I liked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Where do I start with Elvis Costello? I listened to Pump It Up, which I liked.

Start with My Aim Is True and work chronologically until you get to Punch The Clock. Those seven albums are pretty much the best part of his career.

He changed his sound and production values in the 80's, but King of America, Blood & Chocolate, and Spike are still liked a lot.

I'll leave someone else to recommend specific albums from the 90's and 2000's to listen to.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Franchescanado posted:

Start with My Aim Is True and work chronologically until you get to Punch The Clock. Those seven albums are pretty much the best part of his career.

He changed his sound and production values in the 80's, but King of America, Blood & Chocolate, and Spike are still liked a lot.

I'll leave someone else to recommend specific albums from the 90's and 2000's to listen to.

The 90's and beyond started focusing on collaboration more than anything, but produced some really cool results, such as The River in Reverse (Allen Touissant), Painted from Memory (Burt Bacharach), and Wise Up Ghost (The Roots). You will find wildly varying reviews on Brutal Youth, though I am personally fond of it, and it should be part of the Costello experience.

Other than that, the outstanding highlights are All This Useless Beauty, which contains his recording of the amazing McCartney co-written song "That Day is Done", and his newest album Look Now, which sounds, at points, a lot like old Elvis Costello.

Edit: I just noticed that "That Day is Done" is only on the bonus disc in the CD package. IDK if it is available on stream. It normally appears on an album by The Fairfield Four, who sing backup on this track.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 4, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

XBenedict posted:

The 90's and beyond started focusing on collaboration more than anything, but produced some really cool results, such as The River in Reverse (Allen Touissant), Painted from Memory (Burt Bacharach), and Wise Up Ghost (The Roots). You will find wildly varying reviews on Brutal Youth, though I am personally fond of it, and it should be part of the Costello experience.

Other than that, the outstanding highlights are All This Useless Beauty, which contains his recording of the amazing McCartney co-written song "That Day is Done", and his newest album Look Now, which sounds, at points, a lot like old Elvis Costello.

Edit: I just noticed that "That Day is Done" is only on the bonus disc in the CD package. IDK if it is available on stream. It normally appears on an album by The Fairfield Four, who sing backup on this track.

I also like Brutal Youth a lot

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The only B-52s songs I've listened to are Love Shack and Rock Lobster, is there anything else worth listening to?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Absolutely yes. Their two high points are probably the self-titled debut record and their biggest hit LP Cosmic Thing, but there's quality to be had across the catalog. Start with those two (which, in fact, have the two songs you've mentioned) and spread out from there. Mesopotamia (produced by David Byrne) is pretty underrated, and I absolutely loved the one single I heard from their 00s-era album, "Juliet of the Spirits," so feel free to keep going in one direction or another if you dig the sound.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

The only B-52s songs I've listened to are Love Shack and Rock Lobster, is there anything else worth listening to?

Yeah. There's at least 4 solid albums to listen to: their eponymous album, Wild Planet, Whammy! and Cosmic Thing. You could listen to those chronologically and then do a deeper dive like hexwren suggests.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Wild Planet is great. B-52s are 110% a live band also, although maybe not right now (anymore?).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maston's Blood Mountain is the one of the best Metal Album's i've ever heard...

They have a lot of other albums, where next?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

algebra testes posted:

Leviathan, Crack The Skye, and Remission in that order, imo. Or reverse if you want to save the best for last.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

algebra testes posted:

If you preferred the heavier tracks, Leviathan. If you preferred the proggier tracks, Crack the Skye. Or better yet: get both

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Both of these posts are true and correct, but they've not yet put out an actually bad record, so you can'y really go wrong one way or another.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hexwren posted:

Both of these posts are true and correct, but they've not yet put out an actually bad record, so you can'y really go wrong one way or another.

They have no bad albums but none of their last three come close to any of the first four (or the even earlier stuff)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You guys rule thanks

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
How about Dr John? I really enjoyed Locked Down when it came out but never thought to check out anything else

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

screaden posted:

How about Dr John? I really enjoyed Locked Down when it came out but never thought to check out anything else

If you wanna dive straight into his most accessible peak, then In The Right Place is the perfect start.

The Dr. John era that Dan Auerbach was mostly interested in trying to capture with Locked Down was from the late 60's to the mid 70's. Here are the highlights from this era:

Gris-Gris > The Sun, Moon & Herbs > Dr John's Gumbo > In The Right Place > Desitively Bonnaroo

Gris-Gris is psychedelic voodoo funk, and has a darker sound and feel. As he progresses towards In The Right Place, the darkness lightens up and he gets funkier and more playful in a New Orleans rock & roll style.

If you like what you hear, you can listen to the other albums he released in this era, or keep moving forward chronologically from there.

:rip: Dr. John. You were an excellent concert experience.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Where do I start with...

Pelican
The Knife
Quicksand

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where do I start with...

Pelican

Either of their first two. I slightly prefer The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I started with The Fire in Our Throats back in like 2006 and they've been a favorite of mine ever since. Australasia is loving massive too. You can't go wrong with either of those, really.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I re-listened to some pop-punk songs I liked when I was a preteen because I thought they were 'edgy' and 'rebellious' and 'cool'. They're still a little cringy, but they actually hold up a little. But they're mostly singles. So, do blink-182, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte have anything worth listening to on the albums via deep dive?

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Where do I start with...

The Knife

The Knife is a pretty consistently great duo but their best starting point is probably Deep Cuts, especially since it has their most well-known track on it, "Heartbeats."

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Ikari Worrier posted:

The Knife is a pretty consistently great duo but their best starting point is probably Deep Cuts, especially since it has their most well-known track on it, "Heartbeats."

Agree. I feel like Silent Shout (2006) is a better album that shows more developed songwriting, and has some pretty mindbending bangers like "We Share Our Mother's Health" and "Like a Pen," but gently caress it — I like more songs on Deep Cuts (2003). "Heartbeats" is kind of the sound of a generation, and "Pass This On" changed my life. The record has got a lot of fat on it, but it's fun, and if you like it, you'll like The Knife (2001), which has a softness no other Karin Dreijer record does, and you'll better appreciate the progression Silent Shout shows.

I don't know what the gently caress they were going for with Shake the Habitual (2013) and to be honest, I'm still a scared to listen to it. In any case, it's not a starting point.

If you end up liking The Knife, check out Fever Ray (2009), which is nothing short of a masterpiece — chillingly beautiful, haunting, dark, mysterious, and icy.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Junpei posted:

I re-listened to some pop-punk songs I liked when I was a preteen because I thought they were 'edgy' and 'rebellious' and 'cool'. They're still a little cringy, but they actually hold up a little. But they're mostly singles. So, do blink-182, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte have anything worth listening to on the albums via deep dive?

For good pop-punk LPs check out The Bananas, The Ergs, Marked Men, The Muffs, Matt K. Shrugg's solo album. Maybe faster powerpop stuff like Nobunny's Love Visions.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Junpei posted:

For blink-182, I still really enjoy Enema of the State, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket and the self titled album (always loved that one for the Robert Smith guest vocals). There’s songs on each that are loving terrible garbage about loving dogs in the rear end and poo poo but there’s a lot of great tracks as well.

Also going back to music you liked as a kid that you “grew out of” is a great experience. Being an adult means you can like what you like without shame cause who really gives a gently caress anymore what you listen to.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Nah, being an adult means realizing you listened to a lot of dreck because you were a kid and didn't know any better bands. Especially now since corporations are monetizing nostalgia really hard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Epi Lepi posted:

Also going back to music you liked as a kid that you “grew out of” is a great experience. Being an adult means you can like what you like without shame cause who really gives a gently caress anymore what you listen to.

Terminally Bored posted:

Nah, being an adult means realizing you listened to a lot of dreck because you were a kid and didn't know any better bands. Especially now since corporations are monetizing nostalgia really hard.

My experience with revisiting things I loved as a child has been a lot more of the second, with some of the first.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Where do I start with...

[Quicksand

They only have three LP's. Their first album, Slip is a necessary slab of post-hardcore awesomeness. The follow up, Manic Compression is just as deadly.

After that, they broke up. If you really like the lead singers voice and his guitar tones go check out Rival Schools. If you're a completionist Quicksand reformed last year and released a third record to very mixed reviews.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hatelull posted:

The only have three LP's. Their first album, Slip is a necessary slab of post-hardcore awesomeness. The follow up, Manic Compression is just as deadly.

After that, they broke up. If you really like the lead singers voice and his guitar tones go check out Rival Schools. If you're a completionist Quicksand reformed last year and released a third record to very mixed reviews.

I like Rival Schools a bunch, both the video game and band!