Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Surprised no one has said how boring the new Mac DeMarco album is on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Mac DeMarco making boring music???? That can't be right!!

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Also releasing today, the new Charly Bliss continues the same sound as the singles they put out so far, which isn't what I was hoping for from them. Sounds fine enough for what it is, just not for me

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

drat I thought the new National disc was this week but guess not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

^burtle posted:

drat I thought the new National disc was this week but guess not.
Apparently that's next Friday! I'm looking forward to it :)

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Thom and the Heads posted:

Mac DeMarco making boring music???? That can't be right!!

Eh most of his previous stuff was pretty cool. You can't overlook a page of Vampire Weekend analysis of a boring bloated record and then call him boring... or I guess you can but that sounds dumb.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I think vampy weeks and mac demarco are both very boring tbh

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Well hey if you're gonna call them vampy weeks lets call him macky d please, thanks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love getting MacNuggets from Macky D's

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Let me rephrase also, beyond his normal boring beachy twang vibes, Macky D's new recording is just a pretty drat boring country/folk album without any true highlights.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Toro y Moi's Tinydesk is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYnC7FCsNO8

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think vampy weeks and mac demarco are both very boring tbh

This but also the National as well

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

The National should not be allowed to put out an album in the Spring/Summer and I say this as a fan of The National

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

This is good stuff, he totally stole the uh uh uh uh thing from Animal Collective on the song Freelance though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPWR98JCCRE&t=64s

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

T Bowl posted:

I loved '2' and 'Salad Days', found his last one somewhat underwhelming, and could only listen to about half of the new one. I will probably try a few more times, but my first impression isn't great.

I like the new Vampy Weekend, as much as I know that people will judge me for that opinion.

I have been listening to the new Mountain Goats the most.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Troxartas posted:

Also releasing today, the new Charly Bliss continues the same sound as the singles they put out so far, which isn't what I was hoping for from them. Sounds fine enough for what it is, just not for me

I'm loving it but it does sound like a different band and can see how anyone would go a different way. I appreciate they don't just sound like a Veruca Salt tribute act anymore and the 90s nostalgia isn't totally gone (Under You sounds like it could be a Dover song) but it's a shift. Songs like Capacity are such fuckin bops that I don't even care.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

T Bowl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS2Ahm2EpL0

lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sumo posted:

The National should not be allowed to put out an album in the Spring/Summer and I say this as a fan of The National

*crooning violins*

let's go to the beach past the beach
where the girls wear their white velvet
run some sunscreen on your skinny neck
i can't get away with this

oh when you turn away, turn away
just don't bump me with your
amer-i-can el-bow
amer-i-can el-bow

*crunchy drum solo*

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
IMO vampire weekend might be my favorite album of the year so far

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey this is all right. It's like the Cranberries tried to cover Heilung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1S-xH_3-qQ

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

The new Charly Bliss album is certainly a different direction than Guppy, but I still love it. They played Under You back in January and it has been such an ear worm. I am happy to finally hear the recorded version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jubaHN1RNgU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, I was happy to hear a lot of their new stuff when they played it live a couple months ago. I'm really digging the new record, but then again I did really like the singles too.

Also, saw Tacocat for the first time on Saturday. Great live show, though the place was far less packed than I've seen it before. They're a really fun live band and I would see them again in a heartbeat.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There was a long profile/interview of Mac DeMarco where he seemed really depressed and like he sorted of hated his own record? Not surprised it kind of sucks, I couldn't get more than a few songs in.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

There was a long profile/interview of Mac DeMarco where he seemed really depressed and like he sorted of hated his own record? Not surprised it kind of sucks, I couldn't get more than a few songs in.

I think moving to silverlake is what is poisoning him. NYC goons get ur timbs on and drag him back to far rockaway

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Blast Fantasto posted:

Maybe a link duuuuude.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Oxxidation posted:

*crooning violins*

let's go to the beach past the beach
where the girls wear their white velvet
run some sunscreen on your skinny neck
i can't get away with this

oh when you turn away, turn away
just don't bump me with your
amer-i-can el-bow
amer-i-can el-bow

*crunchy drum solo*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifElv18k2O8

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

HorseRenoir posted:

The new Holly Herndon album is insane, it's like Julia Holter's "Aviary" and Bjork's "Medulla" put in a blender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvNqNgHAEys

I can't stop listening to this, it's so loving good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I heard "Eternal" and liked it but didn't really pursue it further, but having heard this one as well I think I'm going to have to check out more of her stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i am really disappointed by that cut of Rylan, hopefully the album version will have more of berninger's vocals and less of the backup singers

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

T Bowl posted:

Maybe a link duuuuude.

https://www.huckmag.com/shorthand_story/mac-demarco-cowboy-mitski-interview-nobody/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Tycho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-SHHwAJDY8

I'm not digging this one as much as his previous work, which was mostly instrumental. But maybe y'all will dig it more. It's basically synthpop instead of the electro-ambient chillout stuff he used to make.

He hasn't completely lost that style though, as evidenced by his last single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9G3WPq2744

He's just incorporating vocals in a larger way for the first time on this new album, I suppose.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

New Tycho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-SHHwAJDY8

I'm not digging this one as much as his previous work, which was mostly instrumental. But maybe y'all will dig it more. It's basically synthpop instead of the electro-ambient chillout stuff he used to make.

He hasn't completely lost that style though, as evidenced by his last single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9G3WPq2744

He's just incorporating vocals in a larger way for the first time on this new album, I suppose.

This is the most “not Tycho” sound I’ve heard him produce and yet, it still sounds like Tycho. Dunno if thats good or bad so far but his catalogue had been getting awfully stale.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What is up with Rylan by The National?

It's like this mythical unicorn of a song (that is now coming out on the new album on Friday and they've played it a few times in the past on shows like KEXP) - but it's not really any good. It's just a slow rambling mess with no hook or structure or really anything that makes it sound like a hit National song.

So why do the fans obsess over it so much?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BonoMan posted:

What is up with Rylan by The National?

It's like this mythical unicorn of a song (that is now coming out on the new album on Friday and they've played it a few times in the past on shows like KEXP) - but it's not really any good. It's just a slow rambling mess with no hook or structure or really anything that makes it sound like a hit National song.

So why do the fans obsess over it so much?

it's just been demoed for a while and people were waiting for a proper studio cut, mostly

not sure what you mean by "no structure," it's a pretty standard "verse 1 - chorus - verse 2 - chorus - bridge - chorus" affair

if anything it's poppier than most of their songs

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oxxidation posted:

it's just been demoed for a while and people were waiting for a proper studio cut, mostly

not sure what you mean by "no structure," it's a pretty standard "verse 1 - chorus - verse 2 - chorus - bridge - chorus" affair

if anything it's poppier than most of their songs

Yeah "no structure" was a little misleading... it's got a classic song structure but I just meant it has no standout bits, no verve or good hooks like a lot of their songs. Fans treat it like it's this hidden gem of genius or something but it's honestly just a boring b-side that has probably been left off of albums for reason. It ain't good.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The new National album is good. Really dig the female vocals, makes a lot of it seem kind of fresh.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, the female vocals are really bringing a lot. I'm really enjoying it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm excited for it. Like every single except Rylan so far.

Got my two vinyls in this weekend (Special Edition and Super Special Cherry Tree Edition cuz I'm an idiot) so lookin' forward to pretending I'll have time to listen to it this weekend and instead do yard work and kids stuff all weekend long and just listen to it on Spotify.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Rylan to me is a song about commiserating with a severely depressed kid by telling him that everyone else is as broken and diseased as he is and that’s a Big Mood

e: really not liking the changes to the chorus' lyrics, the rhymes don't even scan anymore

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

angrygodofjebus posted:

The new National album is good. Really dig the female vocals, makes a lot of it seem kind of fresh.
Listening to it now. Gail Ann Dorsey should've been a member of this band all along. She's just such a natural fit here.