Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

BlindSite posted:

Anything I should know before jumping into prey? Regarding skill trees etc: I don't like stealth I like to murder so I want to do that as effectively as possible.

I'm a little late, but:
-The game will tell you there are negative consequences for getting alien upgrades. These negatives are absolutely tiny, and the benefits of alien upgrades are huge. Ignore the game's advice, buy whatever upgrades sound cool to you.
-If you break a piece of glass, it will still be cracked whenever you return to that area. Don't shoot any of the glass walkways in the lobby, it will make them frustrating to navigate in the future.
-Recycling grenades can destroy pretty much any type of prop.
-You can kill anyone, whenever, without getting a game over.
-It's also possible to finish the game without killing a single human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Nier automata.

Thanks

Here’s the wiki link

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Nier automata.

Thanks

the above-mentioned wiki link is pretty good and mentions basically everything.

To reiterate what it says (because this comes up a LOT), there are no checkpoints in the prologue. You might want to play on easy. After the prologue, the game is a lot more generous with save points and gets easier overall. But the prologue can be a pain in the rear end and it sucks to have a bad first impression of the game.

Don't run around doing sidequests until you unlock fast travel.

Some sidequests are (seemingly) missable, but you will eventually get the option to redo them. If you miss something, just chill and keep going.

Route B is a bit boring at first but it's worth it.

Just in general, the game can drag, it's not perfect. But it culminates in such an incredible ending that you don't mind the bullshit. Stick with it. That's the best advice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Most important: You're not done with the game until you see ending E.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 9, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thanks everyone

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
The wiki didn't have anything for Lichdom: Battlemage.

I don't personally care about missing some content or rewards or other things like that. However, I understand that a part of the game is creating your own spells by combining things. Can I just experiment my way through this system? Or am I likely to get stuck with Bad Dumb Spell For Idiots, instead of having Good Spell Recommended By Actual Wizards?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PMush Perfect posted:

And because this advice gets taken badly sometimes, I should mention seeing ending E doesn't involve replaying the entire game five times. It has fairly little repeated content overall, honestly.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Enter the Gungeon?

Orv
May 4, 2011

StoryTime posted:

I don't personally care about missing some content or rewards or other things like that. However, I understand that a part of the game is creating your own spells by combining things. Can I just experiment my way through this system? Or am I likely to get stuck with Bad Dumb Spell For Idiots, instead of having Good Spell Recommended By Actual Wizards?

Unfortunately part of the overall problem with Lichdom is that the spell combinations are limited, extremely obvious and don't really do that much. You can find them all on your own with no issues and you'll still be better off just hucking fireballs for most of the game.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Orv posted:

Unfortunately part of the overall problem with Lichdom is that the spell combinations are limited, extremely obvious and don't really do that much. You can find them all on your own with no issues and you'll still be better off just hucking fireballs for most of the game.

Cool, thanks. As long as I'm owning myself by playing bad games instead of playing games badly!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Anything for Iconoclasts ? Tempted to poke it as I got in on PS4 at some point, but the wiki seems to lack it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

StoryTime posted:

It’s helpful to have at least one main nuke, one control spell, and one debuffer spell on you at all times. If you just lob fireballs without debuffing enemies first you won’t do very much damage. And if you’re totally lacking in imagination you can let the auto-craft system just make spells for you using the best components from your inventory.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tylana posted:

Anything for Iconoclasts ? Tempted to poke it as I got in on PS4 at some point, but the wiki seems to lack it.

This is sort of billed as a Metroidvania, but it isn't really. More of a side scrolling action game with some branching paths. The rewards you get for searching for secrets are fairly negligible, so don't worry about just going through the game without finding everything.

If you charge your gun and shoot downwards while in the air, you'll get a burst of height.

While swimming, if you use the button to speed up, you will consume more air. Not super necessary to keep track of except in a couple places, but keep it in mind.

Dialogue choices do have an effect for the end of the game, notably the end boss. You won't miss anything significant, but certain choices make it easier.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

StoryTime posted:

Cool, thanks. As long as I'm owning myself by playing bad games instead of playing games badly!

These are the words I live by.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

oldpainless posted:

Nier automata.

Thanks

Don’t sweat sidequests if they’re inconvenient. Fast travel and chapter select unlock eventually.

For the love of god, don’t slam pick the hard difficulty. At the very least finish the prologue on normal. There are absolutely no unlocks or achievements tied to difficulty.

Saving is manually done but is literally two button presses and can be done from pretty much anywhere. Make it a habit.

The game is generally pretty easy. If anything is giving you a hard time, you probably aren’t supposed to do it yet.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FluxFaun posted:

Enter the Gungeon?

There is a wiki entry (https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Enter_the_Gungeon), but I feel like it was written a while ago and I kind of disagree with the "dont waste a key on a brown chest" tip. On release the game was tight as gently caress and would just not give you keys or ammo, so a brown chest was a real risk, but updates have loosened that up a lot. Its still RNG dependent, but stuff drops more regularly plus there is guaranteed to be a key in the shop for the first three floors, so you can definately get a key per floor. And I dont think the "blues are more likely to contain passives" bit is actually true, or if it is true its just that blue rarity tier has more passives than other tiers.

So I'd make some changes/additions to it personally;

In true roguelikelike fashion, the game will get gradually easier the more items you unlock using Hegemony Credits, and the more people you unlock in the Breach.

Try the different characters, they have different abilities and starting items. Personally I think the hunter is best for beginners because they have more frequent drops and their crossbow is good enough to carry you through the first two floors if necessary. Other people swear its the marine because he has a faster reload speed and less spread with weapons. Its definitely not the convict.

Chests have a scale of quality - brown > blue > green > red > black > rainbow. Even brown chests can contain items worth having, and sometimes have a key inside as well.

There are two chests on every floor. One contains a gun, the other an item. Any chests which drop upon clearing a room may contain an item or a gun. Sometimes chests that drop are already unlocked.

If a chest is breathing, its a mimic. It will attack (and consume a key) if you try and open it, so shoot it instead. It will drop its item once defeated.

If a chest has a fuse burning down you can shoot it with any gun that fires a liquid (except oil) to put out the fuse. Or open it before the fuse burns down. If you dont have a key or a liquid producing gun, you might as well shoot it because...

You can shoot chests until they break if you haven't got a key for it. This will destroy the contents but, sometimes, give you junk (which can be sold, and has interactions with a couple of items) or a heart (or a lower quality item). Chests which explode due to a fuse burning down drop nothing.

The green dude in some shops who asks "did you bring me anything?" is the Sell Creep. You can sell stuff to him by dropping it on his grate (hold down on the d-pad to drop your current gun, up to hold your active item, drop passives from the map screen).

Ammo and guns/items not picked up before you leave the room will be lost. This does not apply to keys (or hearts, but you can save them for later anyway).

Don't be afraid of using blanks. You are given two per floor.

There is a secret room per floor which can be found by shooting walls (with any gun which doesnt have infinite ammo. Your starter pistol wont do it). If the wall shows significant cracking you've found it. They are opened by using a blank (or losing an armour) in the room (even if you havent shot the wall). There isnt an easy pattern to predict where they are going to be unfortunately, and the contents are so variable they arent always worth hunting for. Personally if I have blanks left after beating a boss I'll check the chest rooms, elevator room, and if they dont crack I'll let a blank off in the shop. These seem to be some of the more common places it will be I think.

There is a secret room in the Hall of Knowledge (the tutorial level). Its already cracked, so go through there and find it to see what you are looking for.

If you beat a boss without being hit they drop an additional item which gives you an extra heart container. It may take a while to get that good/lucky, but after a while you'll be getting them from the first couple of floors more often than not.

It's generally wise to always keep a key on hand. Also try not to open chest before you check the entire level. If you only have one key you'll want ot open the highest tier chest you can.

Don't feel bad if it feels too hard at the start. Most of the best items are behind unlocks.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 9, 2019

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thank you! That's all much more helpful than the wiki.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I can clean that up later-are there any other tips to delete?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

SiKboy posted:

Gungeon stuff

This is helpful, thanks! One thing I will add is another reason to be the hunter is that you can pet your dog.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

The game is generally pretty easy. If anything is giving you a hard time, you probably aren’t supposed to do it yet.
That includes sidequests with enemies massively above your level. You'll get to revisit every sidequest eventually.

For the same reason, don't worry too much about doing as many as possible before you hit the next story best.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

El_Elegante posted:

Honestly I'd just replace whats there with what I typed; I feel like I kept the tips which were still relevant in my post.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This is helpful, thanks! One thing I will add is another reason to be the hunter is that you can pet your dog.

That was only added in the most recent patch, and I keep forgetting you can do it!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is it possible to miss anything permanently in Mass Effect Andromeda? Also, am I right in thinking this pretty much ignores the first 3 games?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Chests which explode due to a fuse burning down drop nothing.

Adding on to this: timed chests are just short enough that you won't have enough time to fast travel to the shop, buy a key, and teleport back, so if you find a timed chest and have no keys, you may as well destroy it since at least you're getting something out of it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

juliuspringle posted:

Is it possible to miss anything permanently in Mass Effect Andromeda? Also, am I right in thinking this pretty much ignores the first 3 games?

Nothing I can think of, and correct.

There are nods to major events from previous games but that's it, they may as well not exist.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Dunno about the 1st thing, yes to the 2nd. It's set in completely different galaxy some 600 years later, so they have no idea what has happened in the Milky Way, nor would it even matter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

juliuspringle posted:

The only thing you can miss in ME: Andromeda is having fun. If you have not played the original Mass Effect trilogy, go play that instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only thing you can miss in ME: Andromeda is having fun. If you have not played the original Mass Effect trilogy, go play that instead.
Normally I'm in the "don't cheekily tell someone not to play a game" camp, but Andromeda is... something.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's one of those games where the best recommendation you can give is to play it as long as you're having fun but the moment something irks you enough to wonder "Should I stop?" stop playing because it is an entire game of those problems.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Orv posted:

It's one of those games where the best recommendation you can give is to play it as long as you're having fun but the moment something irks you enough to wonder "Should I stop?" stop playing because it is an entire game of those problems.

That's good advice, yeah. There's no hump or hurdle to get over, the game doesn't really get noticeably better or worse. Once you've seen a few planets, you've seen the game, so if you hit a point where you're not having fun, feel free to stop, because it's not going to improve, and the game is also like 60 hours long if you try to do everything iirc

There's literally one interesting major plot point, and it never gets resolved, so don't worry about missing out on the ending either. I finished the game and can't remember the ending or what the stakes were. I've replayed the entire mass effect trilogy (even 3) more times than I'm comfortable admitting to strangers, and I haven't had the urge to even try andromeda a second time, it's just really mediocre all around.

Not trying to sour your fun or dunk on you for playing or anything, but I do think having the right expectations helps in this case

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Once you activate a vault and leave it, you are locked out of it until you start a new game. This only matters if you are achievement hunting (specifically the Cryptographer achievement).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Orv posted:

That's good advice for pretty much any game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PMush Perfect posted:

Normally I'm in the "don't cheekily tell someone not to play a game" camp, but Andromeda is... something.

Also they made it sound like they hadn't played the original games, and they're a much better choice. Especially when all three can probably be had for the same price as Andromeda nowadays.

The badness in Andromeda also really creeps up on you rather than coming front-heavy. You'll start picking at something you don't like in the story, notice something else, and then the whole thing will just unravel on you with its overall tedium.

In short;

Orv posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m surprised EA hasn’t poo poo out a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster for the current systems. Are they playable on XB1 at least

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m surprised EA hasn’t poo poo out a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster for the current systems. Are they playable on XB1 at least

Yes

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

I updated it before I read your post.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

juliuspringle posted:

To enjoy Andromeda it's better 1) to put the first 3 games entirely out of your mind and 2) to resist any impulse to help strangers who give you quests. You'll inevitably do some sidequests as you do the main ones but absolutely none of them are worth the bother of going out of your way, and they will burn you out. I've found if you keep pushing on with the main and companions quests, Andromeda can be modestly enjoyable.

It is possible to miss a fun quest though if you don't keep talking to your companions and exhausting their conversational possibilities. (Most of them will have something new to say after every main mission.) If you want to check what's needed then look up a guide to the movie night quest.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also they made it sound like they hadn't played the original games, and they're a much better choice. Especially when all three can probably be had for the same price as Andromeda nowadays.

The badness in Andromeda also really creeps up on you rather than coming front-heavy. You'll start picking at something you don't like in the story, notice something else, and then the whole thing will just unravel on you with its overall tedium.

In short;

I've played the poo poo out of the first 3 (which is why I thought I'd take a gamble on Andromeda, they seem to have fixed most of the launch issues) I just got worried that none of my choices seemed reflected in the story and I couldn't figure out how to force that tapestry thing to reflect them. Mining is boring as poo poo in this.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

I've played the poo poo out of the first 3 (which is why I thought I'd take a gamble on Andromeda, they seem to have fixed most of the launch issues) I just got worried that none of my choices seemed reflected in the story and I couldn't figure out how to force that tapestry thing to reflect them. Mining is boring as poo poo in this.

The best thing about Andromeda is the multiplayer, and that gets old quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Anyone got advice for Total War: Shogun 2? I actually asked about that game here a while ago but I ended up putting it off and now I can't find the original post I made :v: