Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Valerian is weird because the two leads look and act like they're 14 years old but they're supposed to be adults.

They should be in a loving Spy Kids movie

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't know how you can watch Valerian, get 5 minutes in and see the insanely over the top Avatar parody, then go "the leads seeming like smartass teenagers must've been some sort of error".

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Inspector Hound posted:

The anti capitalist angle is probably the only angle I can imagine enjoying that film from, and you'd really have to bite down hard on that to ignore the bizarre acting and dialogue ("I CREATE LIFE...and I destroy it"). I'm kind of amazed multiple people in here have recommended it, it really dragged for me.
That was the best part, my man was chewing the set playing a more deranged Gary Oldman character, I'd honestly rather have him featured more instead of the the other brother and sister duo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elysium was another one I liked. Although I might be the only person who liked it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

Elysium was another one I liked. Although I might be the only person who liked it.

Nah, I like it too. Though I also dig Chappie, so my taste in movies may be suspect.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
New season of Sneaky Pete is out on Amazon. Love me some smarmy Giovanni Ribisi.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, I like it too. Though I also dig Chappie, so my taste in movies may be suspect.

Chappie is frustrating because its reach exceeds its grasp. It's largely a great film tho

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

veni veni veni posted:

I like it. I don’t love it but it’s good. I’m game any time Sharlto Copley loses his mind playing a character

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I liked Elysium too, but I don't know if it really fits in the same category as the others since it's a lot more grounded and less epic scifi/fantasy. Not sure not sure there's really any value in categorizing middling sci fi movies though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I don’t know if these entirely count as epic or lesser-known, but they are good films that I could see being overlooked for one reason or another:

- The Chronicles of Riddick
- Starship Troopers
- Dark City
- Moon

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In what universe is Starship Troopers overlooked?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really you could make a book of underrated sci fi movies because most of the best ones are. Which is why I think we were sticking to epic blockbuster style ones. Moon is great but it's sort of the opposite of that.

Maybe elysium is sort of in the middle but I still classify it in that realm personally.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

In what universe is Starship Troopers overlooked?

I mean it’s a biting and unapologetic satire of fascism and there’s a whole lot of that still around, so I would say ours, unfortunately.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

I mean it’s a biting and unapologetic satire of fascism and there’s a whole lot of that still around, so I would say ours, unfortunately.

I wouldn't say it's overlooked, it has plenty of fascist fans, just that this happens....

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Captain Magic posted:

I don’t know if these entirely count as epic or lesser-known, but they are good films that I could see being overlooked for one reason or another:

- The Chronicles of Riddick
- Starship Troopers
- Dark City
- Moon

I love Dark City so so much. If anyone hasn't seen it, mute the opening narration until Kiefer Sutherland starts walking.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

eXistenZ is more body horror than sci-fi but it seems fairly overlooked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've heard it's good but I have always had trouble getting over how dumb the title is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I've heard it's good but I have always had trouble getting over how dumb the title is.

Dude, eXistenZ is loving phenomenal. Seriously. Especially for those who have played video games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I should probably just watch it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I skipped it in the theater because of the title and really regretted it when I saw it on dvd.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
eXistenZ is definitely worth watching but it falls apart before the end in my opinion.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pahuyuth posted:

I love Dark City so so much. If anyone hasn't seen it, mute the opening narration until Kiefer Sutherland starts walking.

There's a director's cut that straight deletes that narration

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wouldn't say it's overlooked, it has plenty of fascist fans, just that this happens....

In my experience most fascist fans are angry it isn't like the book

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love Cronenberg but eXistenZ is a dumb boring slog that somehow gets even worse in the last twenty minutes. It took me three sittings to get through it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Cronenberg but eXistenZ is a dumb boring slog that somehow gets even worse in the last twenty minutes. It took me three sittings to get through it.

The wrongest of opinions!!!!

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Where is Dark City streaming

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's a director's cut that straight deletes that narration

Yeah that's the cut I watch but I always tell newbies to immediately mute as soon as the film starts until Kiefer starts walking. The narration just gives too much away.

I remember some side-by-side shots of Dark City and The Matrix and the argument that one of the films lifted a lot from the other and reused sets.. I think The Matrix was the guilty one in that regard. Anyway I like Dark City a hell of a lot more after all these years. The music is great and the DVD commentary is pretty cool as well.

old.flv posted:

Where is Dark City streaming

It's on Amazon for $2.99

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 11, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Matrix did in fact use Dark City sets but I don't really believe it was deliberate plagiarism or anything

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

House is so weird and scary for about the first two thirds, and then the whole thing goes off the rails and is ruined by the final act.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Dark City is in my top ten favorite movies of all time. I love it so much! But I agree with the guy who said to mute it until the first shot in a bathroom, because the opening narration spoils a pretty major plot point.

I knew Dark City and The Matrix had several similarities (along with another underrated sci-fi movie from around the same time, The 13th Floor), but I never knew The Matrix used Dark City sets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Inspector Hound posted:

House is so weird and scary for about the first two thirds, and then the whole thing goes off the rails and is ruined by the final act.

House 2 isn’t great, but it’s pretty nuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ouvkZzJ-Nc

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Existenz is a good movie. I bought the DVD when it came out and at the top of the cover it has a reviewer quote “Makes The Matrix look like child’s play”

The two films have nothing in common but whatever

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

Existenz is a good movie. I bought the DVD when it came out and at the top of the cover it has a reviewer quote “Makes The Matrix look like child’s play”

The two films have nothing in common but whatever
Yeah what does Chucky have to do with the Matrix?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

House 2 isn’t great, but it’s pretty nuts

I’ll fight you, even tho I haven’t seen it since I was 10

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I always felt eXistenZ was a thematic retread of Videodrome, and Videodrome was a lot better.

Still, it IS Cronenberg and worth watching for that reason. I love the restaurant scene.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Comedy fans, especially Saturday Night Live fans, may want to check out the new Netflix original movie Wine Country. It is Amy Poehler's directorial debut, and it stars Poehler, Rachel Dratch, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer, Paula Pell, Emily Spivey, and Tina Fey.

My wife and I actually thought it was terrible, but I suspect others may be more forgiving with it, for the cast alone if nothing else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
SNL is also terrible and I hate it, yet I have a soft spot for most of those people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Comedy fans, especially Saturday Night Live fans, may want to check out the new Netflix original movie Wine Country. It is Amy Poehler's directorial debut, and it stars Poehler, Rachel Dratch, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer, Paula Pell, Emily Spivey, and Tina Fey.

My wife and I actually thought it was terrible, but I suspect others may be more forgiving with it, for the cast alone if nothing else.

No it is pretty bad, not recommended for anyone

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

precision posted:

No it is pretty bad, not recommended for anyone

I'm glad it wasn't just us being dicks. That cast has earned A LOT of good will, but it was appallingly bad -- the middle-aged lady equivalent of those worthless Adam Sandler movies that are an excuse for him to drag his old pals on a paid vacation somewhere.

At some points, we wondered if there was even a script, or if they were just improvising and going with the first take of everything.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
The script is so drat bad in Wine Country. It had potential but the stakes are low, the jokes are lazy, and it overall feels cheap considering the cost of those actors. It’s like four people wrote the first draft and no edits were made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yeah, I love all of those ladies.

Friday night I opened a bottle of wine and sat down to watch it.

It's truly terrible. A waste of talent.