Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Their using the term "homosuck" about a year before the comic incorporated the term tells me this is probably some one getting sincerely angry that Meulin exists, I guess

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Mindboggling.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I refuse to watch this video.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

I refuse to watch this video.

This seems like the correct choice.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was listening to music the other day and some old Homestuck Vol 4 or 5 stuff started playing and I got all wistful for the heydays of Homestuck when we were following some kids on an adventure through a game, hotly anticipating all the goofy items that would come from the next alchemy session.

I miss those days. Homestuck going all metatextual and poo poo is neat and all, but hell i yearn for the times of simpler antics and I'm still kinda sad we haven't seen Hussie move onto something new. I'd love to see another thing kinda fresh like Problem Sleuth that doesn't have baggage of thousands of pages of development and expansion.

Granted, I doubt anything would quite recapture those days of waiting for updates, since it was very much a time and place.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Same, honestly. Homestuck was not about being meta. It had a lot of meta jokes, and used fourth wall breaks as breathers, but it wasn’t up its own rear end in a top hat about narrative. That came later, and I think it’s why the epilogue fell flat for me...as an epilogue anyways.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I had cause to revisit Homestuck from the beginning yesterday in order to kill time, and it was really surprising trying to connect what the comic was and felt like at the start to what it became. There's so much more time to let things breathe and goof around, which in turn builds your investment in the characters and world, an investment that later Homestuck is constantly trying to spend without building back up.

Fan fiction authors are generally engaged in telling a new story using a set of characters and concepts the audience is already familiar with as a sort of shortcut, and framing the epilogue as fan fiction gives it the same feeling. There really isn't a throughline from Homestuck as it appears in the first four acts to Homestuck as it is leveraged for metanarrative exploration by the epilogue. You can sort of see Homestuck drifting in that direction through acts 5 and 6, as the focus shifts to grinding through the laborious plot with less time for fun. The continuous entity of Homestuck comes to a shuddering halt with the ending, something the half-hearted attempts to reboot it with things like the snapchat updates attest to, and the epilogue doesn't so much revive it as conduct an autopsy.

That doesn't mean the epilogue isn't an interesting or useful retrospective on Homestuck, but it doesn't truly feel like a continuation of it. Compare and contrast with Undertale, which is often framed as the spiritual successor, even as an original work from a different author. Or Hiveswap which, despite its troubled development, at least tries to tie itself to a recognizable early Homestuck style.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I'm glad that Hussie had an actual, honest-to-god sexual fetish for girls getting mind controlled right up to the very end of the end.

I'm writing fanfiction now.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hey! How loving DARE you. Hussie has grown and changed as a person, and now also included mind controlled boys.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

Hey! How loving DARE you. Hussie has grown and changed as a person, and now also included mind controlled boys.

Woah there, hold up, mind controlled boys have ALWAYS been a part of Homestuck.

The mind control fetish has never been divided along gender lines, don't start trying to retcon history :colbert:

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

There's been plenty of incidental boy mind control thanks to The Vriskas, but all of the actually important mind control (Rose, Jade, Jane) has been girls.

Oh, and I almost forgot the almost-ironic sleazy mind control smut from Mindfang's journal.

The Wu-Tang Secret fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 9, 2019

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't tell how much of this about Hussie is speculation

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Basically all of it. Dude is opaque as hell.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

an enigma wrapped in a smuppet

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

So apparently they're demoing Hiveswap Act 2 tomorrow.

Sources on this are specious but some people seem to be convinced that this is definitely a thing happening at Ludonarracon tomorrow at 4pm PST

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Update: They are NOT demoing Hiveswap Act 2 tomorrow.

They DID, however, send out a kickstarter update:

No one made me sign an NDA so gently caress it posted:

So it’s been a while. There are a lot of reasons for our silence, and honestly it’s a whole tangle of stuff that maybe one day we’ll get into. But right now the good news is we’re in a stage of development where we can start sharing some things and are committed to talking with you more frequently.

ACT 2

We know you’re eager to find out something, anything, so let’s cut to the chase - yes, Act 2 is in active development. While we don’t want to start throwing out release dates until we’re a little further along, we’re happy to say that the script, art and design work is nearly complete, and programming is underway.

You might gather from the above description that Hiveswap development is a little unusual. Let’s just say we learned a lot of lessons during development of Act 1. For Act 2 we have built a staggered development process where the script and design come first, followed by the art. Then our programming team will put it all together while the writing, design and art teams move on to Act 3. Once we have all the Act 2 content and programming together, we will move into a play-testing and iteration phase before release.

This approach is working much better for us but one downside of this approach is that there isn’t much gameplay footage to show for most of the development. We can’t show you any gameplay yet but we would like to share a few snippets…

[[background art]]

[[sprite animation of tegiri]]

[[sprite animation of tyzias]]

We will have more to share on Act 2 soon and we want to share it with you first. For our next update we’d like to invite you to submit questions about Act 2 via this google form and we will aim to answer as many of them as possible in the update.

LUDONARRACON

You may have seen that we will be attending LudoNarraCon this weekend, a digital convention for narrative games that is taking place on Steam from May 10-13. We will be “exhibiting” at the event and streaming on the Hiveswap Steam store page.

We do want to let you know in advance that we will not be sharing any further info on Act 2 during the stream beyond what we have posted above. Any new info on Act 2 will be delivered here first, when it’s ready.

That said, we would be thrilled if you can join us for LudoNarraCon. The Hiveswap development team will be playing Act 1, chatting about the story, Homestuck as an inspiration and channeling their inner 90’s teenager! The Friendsim team will also be taking part in the stream and we will be making a demo of Act 1 available for the duration of the convention.

The indie game label Fellow Traveller is running the convention, and we’re really excited to be taking part alongside so many great developers like Inkle and Weather Factory.

Thanks again for your patience and support. We’re so happy to be back talking about Act 2 and can’t wait to share more info soon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I really hope we get a tell-all of this train wreck at some point.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've not kept up with Hiveswap at all, is there any notable drama surrounding it like the old Yogscast kickstarter had or are they just generically bad at releasing a product in a timely manner?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Pierson posted:

I've not kept up with Hiveswap at all, is there any notable drama surrounding it like the old Yogscast kickstarter had or are they just generically bad at releasing a product in a timely manner?

They got swindled out of the Kickstarter money by their original programmer choice who went and made the updated King's Quest games, rebuilt the game from the ground up at least once, released Hive Swap Act 1 to some amount of "Oh, it's not that bad.", and now we got this "Hahaha, things WERE hosed up, but now they aren't anymore. Mostly. Probably."

That's the gist of it, everyone else can fill in more details.

What was this Yogscast Kickstarter thing?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

idk what the yogscast kickstarter thing is abt but dang I hadda drop that crew as background noise TV when I started hearin alt-righty/UKIP stuff from a couple of em

also this is dumb and gay as all hell but we live in dumb and gay times- Homestuck, for all it's flaws and all of Hussie's flaws, is one of like a thousand elements that have made me feel a lot better abt being who I am

I can't help but have the position that this is a net good in the world despite uhhh lots of things lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

You might gather from the above description that Hiveswap development is a little unusual. Let’s just say we learned a lot of lessons during development of Act 1. For Act 2 we have built a staggered development process where the script and design come first, followed by the art. Then our programming team will put it all together while the writing, design and art teams move on to Act 3.

h...how in the gently caress were they doing it before :psyduck:

karkat does game design where he programs the game then figures out the script and design

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im sure parallels can be drawn between hiveswaps development and karkat hilariously coding a universe's death by complete accident

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

karkat does game design where he programs the game then figures out the script and design

I mean...that's basically how telltale did it for a number of years? Have one programmed game engine and just use different assets for each game.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

My guess would be that instead of keeping continuous motion they'd keep writers and artists "on standby" as it were. I have to figure that for a lot of these people, this was their first game ever or their first game working with a team and so nobody really knew how to properly structure a development cycle.

I expect that Viz, with their resources, was able to bring a few more experienced hands to steady the wheel.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

....well, I guess my sketchy sources about Hiveswap were not to be trusted.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Plom Bar posted:

I expect that Viz, with their resources, was able to bring a few more experienced hands to steady the wheel.

I'm a big ol lefty and creative anarchist but also a realist and- yeah the involvement of Viz is prolly the best thing to happen to this story

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

I'm a big ol lefty and creative anarchist but also a realist

jesus christ what

e: i just reread it a couple times and got it, nvm

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bobulus posted:

I mean...that's basically how telltale did it for a number of years? Have one programmed game engine and just use different assets for each game.

We had one engine but the actual game creation with logic programming etc. def didn’t happen before we sat down and, you know, had a plan of where the episode was going

The Telltale Tool was a pile of poo poo in execution but as a concept it was a surprisingly self-contained game creation tool, I almost wish I had thought to bring a copy out with me

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

We had one engine but the actual game creation with logic programming etc. def didn’t happen before we sat down and, you know, had a plan of where the episode was going

The Telltale Tool was a pile of poo poo in execution but as a concept it was a surprisingly self-contained game creation tool, I almost wish I had thought to bring a copy out with me

oh you did work on telltale? what series?

e: also my condolences for how all that poo poo went down if you were there at the time, btw

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ArfJason posted:

oh you did work on telltale? what series?

e: also my condolences for how all that poo poo went down if you were there at the time, btw

I missed out on the “fun”, I was there until a little ways past WD1 wrapped and bailed for better pay elsewhere

I read an interview after the fact that called that period “the golden age” internal-morale-wise which was pretty :stonk: given how bad it was even then

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I missed out on the “fun”, I was there until a little ways past WD1 wrapped and bailed for better pay elsewhere

I read an interview after the fact that called that period “the golden age” internal-morale-wise which was pretty :stonk: given how bad it was even then

Christ, I hope everyone working at Telltale landed on their feet and got better jobs at a healthier workplaces. I really liked those games and it's so awful hearing about how mistreated the talented people who made them were :smith:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

....well, I guess my sketchy sources about Hiveswap were not to be trusted.

For the record, I also said Volume 10 wasn't going to happen, and I was on the music team at the time.

I suffer from an ancient Homestuck voodoo curse.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Plom Bar posted:

My guess would be that instead of keeping continuous motion they'd keep writers and artists "on standby" as it were. I have to figure that for a lot of these people, this was their first game ever or their first game working with a team and so nobody really knew how to properly structure a development cycle.
Pretty much. God knows Hussie doesn't know how to run a videogame company because, hey, experience does actually matter. Many of the artists (whom I deeply respect) had no previous experience other than Homestuck.

Videogame development is nothing I've ever dealt with; I respect that it is its own field of expertise, and that merely liking videogames is not sufficient.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I really hope we get a tell-all of this train wreck at some point.

Yeah a summary or synopsis would be great. I don't have the patience to read 100 pages of candy/meat.

Edit: I found one, and holy poo poo does it all sound terrible.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 11, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I was under the impression that part if the Viz deal was giving them control of the game’s development.

Everything looked like Act 2 was well underway, then suddenly everyone was laid off. Again, I’d like to hear more about behind the scenes here, as it’s just as likely that the Act 2 delay was from changing the whole staff over as it was that the original staff was too disorganized.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah a summary or synopsis would be great. I don't have the patience to read 100 pages of candy/meat.

Edit: I found one, and holy poo poo does it all sound terrible.

That's not what the post you're quoting is talking about. The epilogues are good! You should just read them. A synopsis doesn't really do it justice.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

especially since most synopses of the epilogues are specifically written to make them sound terrible

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, and I think the epilogue is definitely the sort of thing where if you cast it in a certain light before you even begin, you're not going to give it a chance. Some of those twists and developments were generally interesting as surprises, it'd probably feel like much more of a slog if you knew what was coming the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

I was under the impression that part if the Viz deal was giving them control of the game’s development.

Everything looked like Act 2 was well underway, then suddenly everyone was laid off. Again, I’d like to hear more about behind the scenes here, as it’s just as likely that the Act 2 delay was from changing the whole staff over as it was that the original staff was too disorganized.

What confuses me is that many of the people who had posted about being laid off have posted about this announcement, indicating that they have been and are presently working on the game, including James Roach and a number of artists.

Conspicuously NOT talking about it at all are noted r/homestuck scapegoats Cohen Edenfield and the Craggs.