Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

also gently caress yes the guitar pedal i wanted years showed up randomly for me on amazon at half the price it was back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxn-ff6I4E

gonna play so many sad radiohead songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

how many episodes? ill wait till its done and binge it

Only 5.

It's borderline :nms: but not in a gruesome way.

I haven't stopped thinking about it since I watched it last night.

Ars has a mildly spoilery (come on, it was 1986) article on the series here: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/new-chernobyl-mini-series-delivers-big-drama-without-nuclear-scale-hyperbole/

Here's the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9APLXM9Ei8

Seriously, I'm just as tortured over the human incompetence than by the human tragedy.

It's beautifully shot which makes it all the more unsettling.

Edit: Oh and the music/score/soundtrack is outstanding. It really gives the destroyed plant/radioactivity it's own sound and it's kinda alien and completely terror inducing.

Edit 2 don't care: also it has Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgård. What more do you need?

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 10, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Always a good excuse to post XKCD.

Note the yellow squares in the bottom left.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Seconding that you should watch Chernobyl.

The way they're portraying all the things you would wonder about if you know anything about the incident is incredible.

And I've only seen the first drat episode.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

is that the burning reactor

I think my butthole just clenched holy gently caress

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I went in with a pretty decent understanding of the incident and response from watching a bunch of documentaries over the years and I was still enthralled by it.

The way they make the reactor scene I posted the gif of is incredible. Not only for the actual scene itself which was extremely well made and scored, but the emotional buildup and sense of oppressive dread and terror that leads up to it. You feel like that reactor core is a tear in the fabric of reality, a gateway to hell itself.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Vasudus posted:

Yeah I went in with a pretty decent understanding of the incident and response from watching a bunch of documentaries over the years and I was still enthralled by it.

The way they make the reactor scene I posted the gif of is incredible. Not only for the actual scene itself which was extremely well made and scored, but the emotional buildup and sense of oppressive dread and terror that leads up to it. You feel like that reactor core is a tear in the fabric of reality, a gateway to hell itself.

Amazon Doom TV series starting off good

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

You’d better. If you saw that for real, your blistered organs would be trying to come out that way in about 72 hours.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's also a ton of subtle scenes where dudes get immediate beta burns that are hard to notice because it's dark and dirty and you can't really tell which of the worker bees are whom.

And then of course the goober with the graphite chunk, which also really happened. Can't imagine how many rads he took.

edit: it's anywhere from 15,000-20,000 REM for being exposed to the graphite, but doesn't specifically mention if you held it.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 10, 2019

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I feel like that’s why the show works for people with and without knowledge of the event.

It doesn’t treat the audience as children but will also not assume prior knowledge.

But prior knowledge will inform you “holy gently caress he picked it up he is so hosed” before the show fills in every one else on the horror to come.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

MA-Horus posted:

You are confused. That is not the burning reactor.
The control system tank ruptured. The backup-pumps have been engaged to continuously supply water to the core. The exposure is at 3.6 Roentgens per hour, which is not great, but it's not horrifying. An RBMK reactor cannot explode.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

And then of course the goober with the graphite chunk, which also really happened. Can't imagine how many rads he took.

edit: it's anywhere from 15,000-20,000 REM for being exposed to the graphite, but doesn't specifically mention if you held it.

I’m told by the internet that 1 sievert = 100 rem so being exposed to the graphite was 150-200 Sieverts.

According to the XKCD chart above, yeah, totally hosed if you picked it up.

Edit: math no good

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Alright so looks like 4-5 sieverts (why do I have squiggles for this word, chrome? It's a goddamn SI unit) in an acute exposure is enough for LD50/30. Anything over 5 and you're toast, guaranteed.

Exposure to the core was estimated at 30,000 REM/hour or 300 sieverts/hour. Which makes it 5 sieverts a minute. The core exposure scene lasted roughly 15 seconds, maybe 20. So those two guys assuming they didn't receive any additional radiation (like say, from walking TO and FROM the reactor) were dosed with ~1.75Sv.

The goober holding the graphite held it for ~10 seconds, which at 150-200Sv/hour puts it around 3-3.3/minute. So he dosed himself around .67Sv directly to his hand.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The control system tank ruptured. The backup-pumps have been engaged to continuously supply water to the core. The exposure is at 3.6 Roentgens per hour, which is not great, but it's not horrifying. An RBMK reactor cannot explode.

Thank you for the reassurance, Comrade!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"Hey do you taste metal?"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That poo poo just gives me the goosebumps.

On the other hand, nuclear power is relatively safe as long as you do it safely which goes kind of out the window when you hand it off to the Soviets.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ukraine: gross negligence

Fukushima: act of god and engineering oversights

Nuclear is bad you see

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ukraine: gross negligence

Fukushima: act of god and engineering oversights

Nuclear is bad you see

God DAMMIT does it piss me off to hear stupid mouth breathing assholes spout off about the dangers of Fukushima. loving 9.0 earthquake and 20 foot tidal wave and THAT is the worst it got? Hit rewind and put an oil refinery right next to Fukushima, tell me how that works out for the local landscape.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

We have two big plants right outside Toronto (Pickering and Darlington) and people were FREAKING THE gently caress OUT after Fukushima that the same thing could happen here

How often do we get 9.0 earthquakes in Lake Ontario idiots?

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
They’re doing a companion podcast for each episode with the writer/creator, it’s pretty good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

bird food bathtub posted:

God DAMMIT does it piss me off to hear stupid mouth breathing assholes spout off about the dangers of Fukushima. loving 9.0 earthquake and 20 foot tidal wave and THAT is the worst it got? Hit rewind and put an oil refinery right next to Fukushima, tell me how that works out for the local landscape.

But there’s radiation in the oceans and spreading over the pacific to the west coast and oh wait that already exists naturally nvm

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That tells me all I need to know about how safe nuclear power is.

Fortunately there are plenty of good organic/homeopathic remedies for the atomic menace; the benefits are very similar to those experienced from de-vaccination as well.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
that moment when you're running the numbers in your head on cooking something without a critical ingredient that you forgot to buy, because how important is it really?

in this scenario, it's making tacos without cheese

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vasudus posted:

that moment when you're running the numbers in your head on cooking something without a critical ingredient that you forgot to buy, because how important is it really?

Yikes

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

That's just browned beef with veggies.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

This is going to hurt my brain isn't it?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yea i guess i'm going to walk over to the store

goddamnit i already started drinking

bird food bathtub posted:

This is going to hurt my brain isn't it?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah well you can't hug with nuclear arms so think about that

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah well you can't hug with nuclear arms so think about that
Yes, you can. You can hug somebody from anywhere on the planet!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That tells me all I need to know about how safe nuclear power is.

Fortunately there are plenty of good organic/homeopathic remedies for the atomic menace; the benefits are very similar to those experienced from de-vaccination as well.

.....uh, you know that graphic has gently caress all to do with Fukushima Nuclear Plant right?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fukushima-emergency/

Nuclear is safer. Period. Nobody died from the Nuclear Plant. 20,000 died from the Tsunami.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 10, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It literally even says what it is on the chart.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CommieGIR posted:

.....uh, you know that graphic has gently caress all to do with Fukushima Nuclear Plant right?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fukushima-emergency/

Nuclear is safer. Period. Nobody died from the Nuclear Plant. 20,000 died from the Tsunami.

Nonsense. NOAA continues to put out maps of NUCLEAR STORMS on the reg. Tell me you’d want these atoms washing up on your shores.

I know the earlier image is absolute bullshit since I had to debunk it at my previous job. I’m really quite cool with nuclear power to begin with. The second image just predicts a loving awesome weekend of surfing in SoCal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Damned trolls!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vasudus posted:

Pizza without cheese. Did this same thing last week

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i got the cheese

my preferred homemade taco mix is somewhat unique and it really wouldn't work without cheese

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

I read an account of these two dudes in Chernobyl Diary or one of the related books and they described it more as a blue/purple pillar of light. Just seeing it guaranteed a trip to Moscow's special radiation hospital and a lead casket.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Vasudus posted:

gently caress, do you have onions/cilantro? You can do like traditional style.

But I think that only really goes with steak as the meat.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just got done editing a "In Memory of..." video for my father in law. It was the most complicated, technical, and longest video i have ever edited. Just photos mainly but animating the photos and timing it with the music and stuff. 17 minutes and a half.

I put off school for it and got to make up a lot of work now. Worth it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just be conscious that some of Chernobyl is being dramatized by a huge capitalist multinational company.

They're going to simultaneously blame problems on and forgive plotholes by communism and it's going undermine some of the message a bit.