Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c# is fine. it would be better if it had a borrow checker. rust to wasm is a more compelling jabbascrip replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i just made a lovely little reflection function that sets all empty strings to be null recursively on the passed object

i feel mildly accomplished but at the same time i think this is probably not a good idea

in conclusion terrible programming is a profession of contrasts

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Bloody posted:

c# is fine. it would be better if it had a borrow checker. rust to wasm is a more compelling jabbascrip replacement

what is the point of a borrow checker in a garbage collected language?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

aardvaard posted:

what is the point of a borrow checker in a garbage collected language?

you can prevent two different things from having a mutable reference to the same thing

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

what do you guys call a class that has no state and no constructor arguments, just a bundle of pure functions that exists only because your language has poor support for static classes?

if its just a bunch of static methods grouped together its not a class it's just a namespace

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

necrotic posted:

good luck with that. not everyone uses .net despite your strongest wishes.

even the people who use .net don't want it running in the browser

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

even the people who use .net don't want it running in the browser

it has compatibility with javascript functions - i can already imagine the horrifying code we'll end up with

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

typescript hasn't replaced javascript because javascript is the only browser language. if javascript is no longer the only browser language then you no longer need javascript
The whole point of typescript is that it's just JavaScript.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right. its not good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you can prevent two different things from having a mutable reference to the same thing

ya basically this and the resulting thread safety guarantees

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

This must win a prize, almost a month debugging a memory leak in a C++ app running in Docker in Amazon ECS getting hit by 3 TCPings and 3 HTTPS requests per second. Test through hundreds of SSL tweaks and ASIO changes and quirks. Add on TCmalloc based profiling and find out it's not the app at all it's AWS blowing farts over Docker HEALTHCHECK feature that tested fine in a VM outside AWS.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
c tp s:

our app has a status endpoint that basically serves no purpose, because the only time it should actually return anything other than a 200 OK is if the underlying infrastructure collapses spectacularly and would likely be unable to return a well-formed error response anyway. it reports if it has lost db connectivity in the body, but doesn't consider this a failure condition because it can still generally serve most requests from a local cache.

if rbac is enabled, requests to the service that the status endpoint lives on are pre-checked to ensure the requester has the correct permissions to access an endpoint. this check requires a database request. if that database request fails, the pre-check phase will immediately fail the request and return a 500.

a bug in our health monitoring system causes it to open LOTS of db connections in some scenarios, enough that typical postgres installations will start rejecting new connections. as one might expect, this causes the failure above, which is real good if you use the status endpoint for kubernetes liveness checks like we suggest. nothing like restarting every pod in your cluster simultaneously for no good reason.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

huh blazor/signalR is interesting. anything like it in a good ecosystem?

no, because there are no good ecosystems.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HoboMan posted:

i just made a lovely little reflection function that sets all empty strings to be null recursively on the passed object

i feel mildly accomplished but at the same time i think this is probably not a good idea

in conclusion terrible programming is a profession of contrasts

lol same when i do that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
someone compile Scheme or Common Lisp to wasm already

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

someone compile Scheme or Common Lisp to wasm already

https://github.com/google/schism

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Fiedler posted:

no, because there are no good ecosystems.

there are no good ecosystems, but most are considerably less bad than javascript

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

there are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about, the ones nobody uses, and sql

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've got a problem to solve at work. Basically we have a trees of objects, objects can appear multiple times in the tree, with the same children of course. The leaf nodes are only visible to some users, and you can only see a node if there's a visible leaf under it. So what we did before was work out the visible leaves and build up the tree from the bottom up, associating the list of visible leaves with their nodes, those nodes with their parents etc. Each node ending up with a list of its children. So this was all fine and working. Until a business analyst appeared and said the order of the nodes under a parent matters, previously it was alphabetical so no problem, we can simply order the lists of children. Now the order of the nodes is based on a property of the edges, as nodes are not unique we can't just put the sort order on the child as it can be different in different places.

So now I have to rewrite how we build the tree in the first place so we add the nodes in the right order. Or build the tree as we are and go back over it at the end resorting all the nodes based on the edges. This tree is critical to all of our apps. Our business analysts are really pushing for this change based on the fact its just changing one sort order for another, surely a half hour change no problem. Our testers on the other hand are saying its days of test effort to do the regression on the change as its such a key part of the system.

My problem are business analysts.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

there are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about, the ones nobody uses, and sql

:newlol:

E: it is a ternary logic joke

Doom Mathematic fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 18, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Aramoro posted:

I've got a problem to solve at work. Basically we have a trees of objects, objects can appear multiple times in the tree, with the same children of course. The leaf nodes are only visible to some users, and you can only see a node if there's a visible leaf under it. So what we did before was work out the visible leaves and build up the tree from the bottom up, associating the list of visible leaves with their nodes, those nodes with their parents etc. Each node ending up with a list of its children. So this was all fine and working. Until a business analyst appeared and said the order of the nodes under a parent matters, previously it was alphabetical so no problem, we can simply order the lists of children. Now the order of the nodes is based on a property of the edges, as nodes are not unique we can't just put the sort order on the child as it can be different in different places.

So now I have to rewrite how we build the tree in the first place so we add the nodes in the right order. Or build the tree as we are and go back over it at the end resorting all the nodes based on the edges. This tree is critical to all of our apps. Our business analysts are really pushing for this change based on the fact its just changing one sort order for another, surely a half hour change no problem. Our testers on the other hand are saying its days of test effort to do the regression on the change as its such a key part of the system.

it sounds like what you've got isn't really a "tree", it's just a dag

presumably you've given an estimate that's longer than half an hour, so your real problem is that someone's ignoring the eng estimate just because they want it to be faster.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

business analyst sounds like such a fake job

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aramoro posted:

idk copy* tree and then remove inaccessible nodes from bottom up?

* if u have copy-on-write i guess

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doing a dfs or fold or whatever on a rose tree is hardly an unsolved problem in computer science, but 30 minutes is pretty short to make changes to implement and properly test this in your application.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 11, 2019

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

political advice: don't let non-techies run all over techies with something as handwavy as 'surely it's a half-hour of work'. they don't know your project better than you do (unless they do - happens once in a while - in which case ignore this advice and go pester them for help)

put it in writing and CC everyone that you estimate this will take X time

write one or two sentences at the most outlining why it's not just a matter of changing .Sort(name) to .Sort(edge.Property)

this puts the ball in their court to justify their demands, and your rear end is minimally covered. next move depends on what they respond. if they respond with a blank 'look, we really need this by tuesday. try to do your best', they've effectively given up. you go ahead and take X time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
that is good political advice. one of the underlying issues is that managers spend all day negotiating and developers don’t. so the manager brings their (in this case, worthless) negotiating skills to bear and you will be tempted to fold (“just let me get to work already”). obviously it’s not a negotiation, there’s just “how long it’ll take”, but good luck convincing your manager. (seriously, good luck; if you can pull it off, your life just got easier)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

business analyst sounds like such a fake job

can confirm. It's just writing down what people tell you or, if you're a "senior" one, arguing with them about what they told you to write then writing it anyway but telling the dev team "ignore this".

i started as a BA and branched out into sql via running countless reports, then into disgraceful access databases for reports, then proper databases, then proper poo poo for managing the data in them

somewhere along the line I became the defacto application architect, project manager and dev lead for a subset of applications which is pretty shameful tbqh

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

NihilCredo posted:

i want to live in a world where people just use sql rather than complaining endlessly about it and building impossibly awful things just to avoid having to learn sql

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sql is so good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

sql is so good

it's the cause of, and the solution to all of our problems

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

delete index yospos_shaggar lol;

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Krankenstyle posted:

delete index yospos_shaggar lol;

select * from Good_posts where username=@its_you

command returned zero results

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

:negative:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cannot find the object "Good_posts" because it does not exist or you do not have permissions

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

nice data normalization for a forum where usernames are mutable, comrade two-hander ... or should i say radium?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soricidus posted:

nice data normalization for a forum where usernames are mutable, comrade two-hander ... or should i say radium?

it’s eventually consistently funny

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shaggar posted:

sql is so good

it really is, but people just don't seem to get it for some reason. i saw some dumbass complaining on twitter the other day that they were disappointed there was no ~innovation~ in database query languages so here we are with 1970's sql, ugh :rolleyes:

like, have you maybe considered that the reason it's so ubiquitous is that it loving works, you goddamned nerdlord?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

somewhere along the line I became the defacto application architect, project manager and dev lead for a subset of applications which is pretty shameful tbqh

it's only shameful if your figgies have not also substantially increased along the way

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

TheFluff posted:

like, have you maybe considered that the reason it's so ubiquitous is that it loving works, you goddamned nerdlord?

if you're so sure quality is proportional to quantity, please explain why i have a non-zero post count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Soricidus posted:

if you're so sure quality is proportional to quantity, please explain why i have a non-zero post count

no reads blocking your commits