Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh hey the ByKolles is in trouble, huh, this is a shocking turn of affairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The shocking turn of events is that they got hosed and neither incident was on them.

Also I love that wec is so sponsor cautious they replace the signs.

At sebring it was amazing, the track looked one way at night and then totally different the next day for wec. Except that in turn 10 people kept hopping the fences at night and slapping random stickers on sponsor signs. The best was a big black one on Alan Jay's mouth.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

What happened to no 8 Toyota? Had to switch to YouTube and they are now in 10th.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Formula W first race is on now. The grid is mixed talent, let's say. Jamie Chadwick made a lightning start and was already driving away, then overdrove the hairpin and is currently second

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Formula W first race is on now. The grid is mixed talent, let's say. Jamie Chadwick made a lightning start and was already driving away, then overdrove the hairpin and is currently second

Anyone able to watch this in the US? The Twitter broadcast won't start for me.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Big Huski Boi posted:

Anyone able to watch this in the US? The Twitter broadcast won't start for me.

Unable to watch either. Kind of stupid to have no broadcast in the US for a series designed to give exposure to women in racing, but I called that poo poo six months ago.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Reynold posted:

Unable to watch either. Kind of stupid to have no broadcast in the US for a series designed to give exposure to women in racing, but I called that poo poo six months ago.

I know there's a couple of Americans in it, but it's expecting a lot to have the US give a poo poo about a Euro-centric, open wheel development series

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

CactusWeasle posted:

I know there's a couple of Americans in it, but it's expecting a lot to have the US give a poo poo about a Euro-centric, open wheel development series

Expecting a streaming video for the regions without broadcast deals, such as the US, as advertised by the series itself, isn't really expecting a lot though.

And they hosed it up.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

They explicitly stated that any regions without TV deals would be able to stream the races.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Well, Spa had some conditions.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that loving sucked

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
It's spring at Mid-Ohio, the air smells like wet leaves and race gas and Mazda is on pole, again, in order to break my heart tomorrow when the Acuras walk away with it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

It's spring at Mid-Ohio, the air smells like wet leaves and race gas and Mazda is on pole, again, in order to break my heart tomorrow when the Acuras walk away with it

As it always has been, so it shall be

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2019/05/04/pruett-a-global-future-for-dpi/

Hypercar looking dead or delayed, and DPi 2.0 looking strong. Seems like there is a lot of talk about DPi 2.0 taking over.

quote:

Set for a September 2020 racing debut, time has almost expired for auto manufacturers to request and receive budgets to participate. Complicating matters, a frequently evolving set of basic rules have gained and lost a number of core technologies, making it difficult for manufacturers to define exactly what they’re asking for from their marketing and R&D departments, or what the marketing team will have to promote.

Beset with a lack of buy-in from most manufacturers, paddock intel suggests Hypercar 2020 could be shelved in favor of DPi 2.0 in 2022. Nine manufacturers are said to have attended Thursday’s DPi steering committee meeting at Mid-Ohio, meaning five brands that aren’t currently taking part in the class are at the table as the finer points of the 2022 rules, which are likely to include a spec hybrid-electric kinetic energy recovery system to provide a modest horsepower boost, are finalized.

If nine manufacturers are engaged with IMSA on its cost-effective future DPis, how many from Asia, Europe, and elsewhere, would engage with the ACO if DPi-at-Le Mans was an option?

With Hypercar looking like it might fail to launch, maybe the thought of the ACO and IMSA joining forces again, and making DPi 2.0 the next global standard for prototypes as their first major move together, isn’t such a crazy idea.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

E: nevermind I'm dumb

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DIECAST CHAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSILz3Ly8Zo

drat. How does Hot Wheels keep cranking out the hits?

The Greenwood Chevrolet is a beautiful piece. Picked mine up last night.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

https://racer.com/2019/05/04/pruett-a-global-future-for-dpi/

Hypercar looking dead or delayed, and DPi 2.0 looking strong. Seems like there is a lot of talk about DPi 2.0 taking over.

Pruett's line about the manufacturers not knowing what to expect with the hypercar regs is horseshit. The reason the proposals keep changing is because the manufacturers have the ACO by the nuts and can enforce any changes they want. For instance, they scrapped the hybrid rules because not every interested manufacturer has a hybrid hypercar.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Race cars peaked at the 911 GT1 and Merc CLK-GTR imo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Powershift posted:

Race cars peaked at the 911 GT1 and Merc CLK-GTR imo

Race car altitude peaked with the Merc CLR though

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

orange juche posted:

Race car altitude peaked with the Merc CLR though

:master:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shoulda asked Dumbreck if he had a license for that plane he was flying when he landed instead of breathalyzing him.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Toyota GT-One and the Dauer 962 are the most hilarious race cars because of how they took advantage of loopholes in the rules.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

They actually peaked with the final Audi R18, which was unjustly hamstrung by the FIA under the diesel EoT regulations to prevent it from dominating everybody else through sheer endurance

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

The Toyota GT-One and the Dauer 962 are the most hilarious race cars because of how they took advantage of loopholes in the rules.

The GT-One’s designer said that the gas tank counted as the trunk, and they got away with it. That wins.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
mazda still not dead, 5 seconds behind the acura going onto the last stint

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mazda please :pray:

e:
Mazda :suicide:

net work error fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 5, 2019

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

jfc mazda

still getting both cars on the podium though

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Wow who could've seen this result coming

Now for Belle Isle they'll BoP the Acuras back to sanity finally but also give the Mazdas 15kg for some reason(?!) so they'll be out of contention until at least Mosport

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Acura seems to consistently have similar pace to the Mazdas, but consistently beats them in the pit stops by 3 seconds, for no apparent reason

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Acura seems to consistently have similar pace to the Mazdas, but consistently beats them in the pit stops by 3 seconds, for no apparent reason

Penske

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Acura's don't blow up for some reason.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

While I tend to agree, both teams were complete and waiting on fuel. Unless Penske was able to save fuel the whole time and short fill, BoP is supposed to equalize full fuel fill times

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Personally I would like to know what the hell is wrong with Jon Bomarito this year. He's looked completely washed in every race so far after having a really good 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

This dude's charts are great:

https://twitter.com/thebpillar/status/1125194616909725696

https://twitter.com/thebpillar/status/1125194623402614784

Good performances from both the last minute IndyCar stand ins

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/thebpillar/status/1125194610098221056?s=20

Oliver Jarvis the fastest guy in the field that weekend quite obviously, I wonder if Mazda will be able to keep him next year or someone like penske will swoop in with a shitpile of money and the promise of a working car.

The thing that really stands out is JPMs rock solid consistency, lap to lap to lap, sure he was a good bit slower than his top 3 laps, but his variation was only 0.67% outside his fastest laps, even with traffic and battling with other drivers.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 6, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The greatest potential shitshow of the season, Formula E at Monaco is on in about 50 minutes.

Also Blancpain Endurance is at Silverstone this weekend.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Also ELMS at Monza

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Also ELMS at Monza

Got a stream?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

iospace posted:

Got a stream?

They live stream everything on the website, although it's bizzarely hard to find: https://www.europeanlemansseries.com/en/live

Looks like the race is at 12:00 local time tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They also stream on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fe_MQhCdOc