Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, alright, I can dig that. I just have no problem viewing things through the lens of their time. Old games, old movies, old tv shows, doesn't matter. If was good when it came out, there's no reason it's not still good. I do recognize that some jokes or themes may not be acceptable now, but that's just how things go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The scariest moment in all of video games is in the original Toejam and Earl when the Boogieman comes out and is like BOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Drunkboxer posted:

The scariest moment in all of video games is in the original Toejam and Earl when the Boogieman comes out and is like BOOGIE BOOGIE BOOGIE.

I disagree

Trigger Warning: Kids with Segas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'm pretty sure the main character in that Stephen King JFK time travel book runs into the kids from IT. He feels a dark evil but is able to resist it. Or something like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

flashy_mcflash posted:

I adore this movie and if you don't double feature it with Green Room this Halloween, you hosed up.

Don't anyone dare do this Green Room, it's good and doesn't deserve it, thank you. You want a horror punk double feature pair it with Return of the Living Dead, the greatest horror punk film of all time.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Narzack posted:

I watched Lord of Illusions way back when I was a teenager and really liked it. I recently wanted to watch it again, and got my wife to join. As it turns out, she really, really liked it a lot. She liked it so much that she immediately went on thriftbooks and bought Hellbound Heart and Books of Blood v1. She's now a fan of Clive Barker. Gonna do Hellraiser, maybe the sequel, and then, I guess the director's cut of Nightbreed.

Anything else I should find for a fledgling Barker-ite?

EDIT: I will add that I thought Midnight Meat Train was great, but it's definitely not for her. And we bounced off Undying pretty hard both times we tried it. And Jericho also sucked. So, not a great track record with his games in our house.

Sorry to quote my own post like an assdick, but what's some good Barker poo poo to show the wife? I usually gloss over series talk for movies I haven't seen, and I'm sure this has been answered before, but should we only watch the first two Hellraiser movies?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Narzack posted:

Sorry to quote my own post like an assdick, but what's some good Barker poo poo to show the wife? I usually gloss over series talk for movies I haven't seen, and I'm sure this has been answered before, but should we only watch the first two Hellraiser movies?

Nothing is quite as good as Hellraiser and Hellbound, that's true, but definitely still have her check out Nightbreed. It's not my favorite but I know some Barker fans really love it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The thing about Nightbreed for me is that I liked the movie, but I hated the score for it. Danny Elfman has his place, but it was way too corny for me.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Narzack posted:

I watched Lord of Illusions way back when I was a teenager and really liked it. I recently wanted to watch it again, and got my wife to join. As it turns out, she really, really liked it a lot. She liked it so much that she immediately went on thriftbooks and bought Hellbound Heart and Books of Blood v1. She's now a fan of Clive Barker. Gonna do Hellraiser, maybe the sequel, and then, I guess the director's cut of Nightbreed.

Anything else I should find for a fledgling Barker-ite?

EDIT: I will add that I thought Midnight Meat Train was great, but it's definitely not for her. And we bounced off Undying pretty hard both times we tried it. And Jericho also sucked. So, not a great track record with his games in our house.

I mean, the obvious one is Candyman if you haven't shown her that already.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Narzack posted:

Was the version of Lord or Illusions y'all watched the director's cut? Because if not, watch it, it's way better.

Also, yes, Candyman.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drunkboxer posted:

Right game but wrong moment. The scariest moment in all of video games is in ToeJam & Earl when the mailbox monster goes off on your rear end and you hear that awful sound.

Not the mailbox monster's yell, I'm talking about you making GBS threads your pants.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

You know someone's going to try to edit IT to match the chronology of the book once Part 2 hits DVD.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Davros1 posted:

You know someone's going to try to edit IT to match the chronology of the book once Part 2 hits DVD.

[fifteen minutes of black screen]

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Has anyone seen I Trapped the Devil? Is it worth a watch?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Davros1 posted:

I think WB is going to do this anyway.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Davros1 posted:

I'm expecting that as some fancy deluxe edition.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

Has anyone seen I Trapped the Devil? Is it worth a watch?

id like to know too ive had my eye in this one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanna see it after hearing the director on an episode of The Movie Crypt. Dude seems cool and I related hardcore to him. I forgot it was out, gonna rent it soon.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I wanna see it after hearing the director on an episode of The Movie Crypt. Dude seems cool and I related hardcore to him. I forgot it was out, gonna rent it soon.

report back with ur findings bc they will determine whether or not i watch it

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Kvlt! posted:

id like to know too ive had my eye in this one

I'm gonna watch it tonight after Warriors/Rockets, the concept seems cool

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

report back!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wasn't saying that 2001 has aged poorly, I am saying that what 2001 does in terms of special effects is not as mind-blowing as it was when it came out.

Another example is the "Welcome to Jurassic Park" scene in the first JP movie. It was simultaneously a way for the characters to go "wow look at the Dinos" but it was also meant to be the first time the audience saw next generation CGI.

That double impact is kind of weakened now because that first look at the cgi dinosaurs is no longer ground-breaking

CGI reminds me of when Michael Jackson's Black or White video clip came out with the morphing from person to person, and how mind-blowing it was at the time. It's very trivial by today's standard, but they put so much effort into it that even after almost 30 years, it still holds up pretty well.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

watched the blackcoat's daughter. decent and would probably double feature nicely with hereditary

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

R. Guyovich posted:

watched the blackcoat's daughter. decent and would probably double feature nicely with hereditary

I watched this a few years ago and I enjoyed it. Slow burner like A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hear me out

R. Guyovich posted:

I love both, but I feel like I would fall asleep watching two slow burners back to back like that.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pomp posted:

hear me out

I love both, but I feel like I would fall asleep watching two slow burners back to back like that.

i think it would work since hereditary hits its apex at about an hour in, it's not a "poo poo doesn't go down until the very end" movie like blackcoat's

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I felt like Blackcoat really cheated on it’s twist via the casting and it hurt my enjoyment of it overall. Still a good film and imagine it was the entirety of Kiernan Shipka’s audition real for Satanist Sabrina.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Was the version of Lord or Illusions y'all watched the director's cut? Because if not, watch it, it's way better.

Also, yes, Candyman.

When I watched it years ago, it was the theatrical cut. The one we both saw together was the director's cut. I don't really know what was added, but I still liked it. That Nix is a scary dude. And, I'll take a look at Candyman. I've never seen it myself, though, is there any brutal violence? or just regular horror stuff? I was just able to watch Tucker and Dale with her, and she got a little grossed once or twice, but didn't get upset. Not like the time we were watching Walking Dead Sn 1 Ep 2 and we got to the bit where they disguised themselves in guts. She actually ended up crawling to the bathroom, chundering the whole way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are a few scenes in Candyman that are pretty brutal, yea. Overall it's not a gory film but there are one or two exceptions that stand out.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Candyman is more about dread than anything gory. The most unsettling moment for me is in the aftermath of violence that's never shown. So it's almost a relief when there's a violent scene and you remember this is a horror film. It's good.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Narzack posted:

When I watched it years ago, it was the theatrical cut. The one we both saw together was the director's cut. I don't really know what was added, but I still liked it. That Nix is a scary dude. And, I'll take a look at Candyman. I've never seen it myself, though, is there any brutal violence? or just regular horror stuff? I was just able to watch Tucker and Dale with her, and she got a little grossed once or twice, but didn't get upset. Not like the time we were watching Walking Dead Sn 1 Ep 2 and we got to the bit where they disguised themselves in guts. She actually ended up crawling to the bathroom, chundering the whole way.

Candyman’a violence never feels like it’s meant to be revelled in fwiw. There is some mention of violence, sexual and otherwise, but the film never lingers, and let’s the idea convey its own horror. Imo the film is more uncomfortable than disgusting—I watched it with my mum the first time I saw it and she loved it.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 11, 2019

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Alright, cool. I don't think I even knew he did Candyman. I'll look for it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

two drat people watched i trapped the devil last night and NEITHER reported back

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Eddie Murphy in Dr. Doolittle remake voice: BITCH, WATCH IT YO' drat SELF!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Blackcoat's Daughter is similar to Hereditary in that people take them very seriously even though they are super goofy. BD girl was scared of a loving jacket. Of the two, I'd say that Blackcoat's Daughter is better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

two drat people watched i trapped the devil last night and NEITHER reported back

They must have watched it on opposite day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think the Tarman might be my favorite zombie character ever. He's just so damned happy looking

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I wasn't a big fan of Hereditary, but I loved Blackcoat's Daughter. Oz Perkins is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

I said soon! My day off is Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Horror Thread: As For Religion, I Practice Jennifer Tilly.