Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
BONDiNG on Netflix is not what I expected considering the subject matter. They usually have one scene per episode to remind you it's supposed to be weird but it's fairly tame considering. The pacing is brisk and even, the story is somewhat generic but well done, I'm liking it.

Watched the first episode of Apocalypse Now (Starz) and it was too far out for me, probably won't revisit. Maybe, but probably not. It has the main dude from that weird syfy series, Ghost Wars.

Constellation I posted:

Me and the SO just casually put on Nightflyers as something to watch while eating. It took like 4 weeks to muster up the will to finish it (we figured we might as well finish it), but what a terrible show. Don't bother with it.

misguided rage posted:

I hated every minute I don't know why I finished it.

Thank you, it's been lingering on my DVR, I'll go delete it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bring back old gbs posted:

I was suuuper skeptical on DP because "robot" costumes are always pretty bad. At some point the "metal" bends like the silicone is clearly is. But it works well in live action and it doesn't do the bendy poo poo like I thought it would. Even Cyborg looks great in motion, the promo shots all looked pretty brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitCWbbX1E8

But yeah, Cyborg's lookin good on TV

And yeah, they got Animal Vegetable Mineral Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7pFaqwuXNs

1 robot guy in a suit is going to be hard to pull off, and they knocked it out of the park with 2 robot guys in suits.

lightly beaten
Oct 26, 2004

HappyfeetHappyfeetHappyfeet

Fun Shoe
I finally got around to binging Westworld S1 and I'll admit I'm a bit confused about what is going on. I hear that S2 is even more confusing so I'll probably pass for now.

Love Killing Eve tho.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

lightly beaten posted:

I finally got around to binging Westworld S1 and I'll admit I'm a bit confused about what is going on. I hear that S2 is even more confusing so I'll probably pass for now.

Love Killing Eve tho.

Westworld is fun but it gets a bit lost up its own rear end in S2. That said, the single best episode they have ever done is in S2, "Kiksuya".

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

lightly beaten posted:

Love Killing Eve tho.

It does the thing where they switch main characters, and like every show that does that it becomes confused. Then in S2 they decide to be clever. Here's what happened, then 5 minutes later here's what really happened, but wait for it... here's what really happened, wink wink.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Despite their denials, I'm sure the showrunners were upset with people correctly guessing the twists early in S1.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

lightly beaten posted:

Love Killing Eve tho.

I've only watched Season 1, but having Liam McPoyle as a main character always gets a chuckle out of me during his scenes. He does a pretty good job, but drat.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Lycus posted:

Despite their denials, I'm sure the showrunners were upset with people correctly guessing the twists early in S1.

Yea. I thought they supposedly had a 5 season plan but the way season 2 played out it seemed like they changed it dramatically because it didn't feel planned out at all.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

For me Westworld season 2 was something worse than confusing (though it was that too) - it was boring.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So was season 1. They stretched out 2 hours of story but trick you into thinking it's profound by hiring prestige actors.

Haha this whole time you thought you were watching A, when in fact it was B! Give us all the Emmys!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The whole time I doubted Two Timeframes, not because I thought it was unlikely, but because I thought it was pointless and would make much of the season boring in retrospect.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

At least season one was coherent though. Definitely a slow burn, but worth watching imo. 2 was just a mess.

Edit: Just got to the 2nd half of "Hardhome" :munch:

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 10, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I never thought Season 1 was great or prestige tv or anything, but it entertained and satisfied me. Season 2's probably wasn't that it was more "confusing" or less "coherent" (it was) its that it was bad. Is there anything about S2 that I should care about for S3? I certainly can't think of anything.

And fundamentally I think it sent a message that they had their priorities all hosed up and were more in on the hook than anything worthwhile. So I have no hope for S3 or interest to see if they can turn it around.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Westworld season 2 gave us the best single episode of westworld, the one featuring the native Americans. Everything else was pretty crappy tho.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

In retrospect, I can't say Westworld S1 "satisfied" me, because everything I disliked was toward the end, so those things leave the most impact. I really loved the first half, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I rewatched it right before I watched S2 and like I think it still had a satisfying enough couple of story arcs for Doris, Maeve, William, and Bernard that worked fine even with all twists revealed.

There's nothing from S2 I can recall enjoying or taking away. Even the couple of stand alone episodes/segments people like didn't resonate for me because I was already so disengaged with the story, world, and characters.

I guess the gag of the designer just copying his whole Westworld storylines for the other world was funny.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Caught up with the second season of Black Lightning. While still watchable, it felt like a real step down from the first season, much less engaging and even pretty retarded at times, like whenever heavily armed police or security forces just point their guns or yell instead of actually attacking what is clearly a lethal threat to them. A bunch of storylines also feel shoehorned in and don't really add to anything, others are just dropped without afterthought or consequences, and there are characters like the old white guy that neither the writers, directors or actors clearly have no clue what they should do with. In short, I am afraid it is going the way of most superhero series: predictable, badly written and ultimately boring, which is a real shame given how strong the show started out.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone watched I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson? Been a while since I've seen a sketch show that made me laugh out loud. It's got a weird and goofy sense of humour, and is very clearly influenced by Tim and Eric (Heidecker shows up in one sketch). Episodes are only about 15 min long so it doesn't outstay its welcome.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

alphabettitouretti posted:

Anyone watched I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson?

Same. It's weird humor but I like it. Not as cringey as I expected, at least not all the time. Good format and pacing.

My wife just makes the :stare: face but deep down she finds it funny. Too proud to admit it

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Same. It's weird humor but I like it. Not as cringey as I expected, at least not all the time. Good format and pacing.

My wife just makes the :stare: face but deep down she finds it funny. Too proud to admit it

Yeah there's not too much cringe because it's generally so over the top silly.

I haven't tried showing my other half because I know she wouldn't see the humour in, say, a guy in a hotdog costume insisting he's not responsible for the hotdog car that's just smashed through the front window of a store.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Watched Dead To Me, which is a short one off starring Christina Applegate that is pretty enjoyable. It does a good job of not dragging out fairly obvious plot elements/twists, and adheres pretty strictly to the "if you show a gun in the first act" rule of writing. The small cast are very good and the show really benefits from the chemistry between the two leads. It also feels like Applegate's character was tailored to her, which is clearly a good thing considering her performance. That said, I didn't find it incredibly memorable or engaging on the whole - just an entertaining watch for a few days.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched Dead To Me, which is a short one off starring Christina Applegate that is pretty enjoyable.

Dead To Me is definitely getting renewed. It's not a miniseries haha.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone here likes The Thing, I recommend watching Ghoul. It is an Indian(not sure?) Netflix original. It's drat good and super short 3 episodes 45 min episodes.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
My SO and I have finished the first three seasons of The Bureau (original title: Le Bureau des Légendes) and started watching season four.

It's a french spy thriller set mainly in France and the Middle East that aims to be more on the realistic side. As such it is deliberately slow-paced and character driven, but it has some great writing, is well acted and also has quite good production values for a french TV series.

Can only warmly recommend it to anyone that likes this kind of stuff, according to Wikipedia it is available on iTunes in the US and on Prime in the UK.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Chikimiki posted:

My SO and I have finished the first three seasons of The Bureau (original title: Le Bureau des Légendes) and started watching season four.

I check it out. Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I loved A Very Secret Service (Au service de la France), which also a French spy show. This time a dark comedy.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Has anyone seen The Affair? It's been recommended to me and reading up on it I think I would like the perspective thing, but I am not sure about the story or the characters.

ChestNut
Oct 20, 2009

You want some tablets?

Meatgrinder posted:

Has anyone seen The Affair? It's been recommended to me and reading up on it I think I would like the perspective thing, but I am not sure about the story or the characters.

Story and characters are great. Acting is excellent enough to sympathize with the chars. Nonlinear story structure with tight writing.
They do a good job in branching out further in subsequent seasons.

Overall I’d recommend it also.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Meatgrinder posted:

Yeah, it's a show I keep coming back to despite hating every single character, so they must be doing something right.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Barry, S1: Loved the first 2 episodes but finding the rest of the season boring and the characters uninteresting (Henry Winkler excepted, he is killing it). I've watched 5 episodes and am thinking of dropping it. Am I giving up too soon?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wormil posted:

Barry, S1: Loved the first 2 episodes but finding the rest of the season boring and the characters uninteresting (Henry Winkler excepted, he is killing it). I've watched 5 episodes and am thinking of dropping it. Am I giving up too soon?

I struggled to get through the first season and i've given up on the second. I hate 90% of the characters.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

wormil posted:

Sad to say it, but I think 5 episodes is an adequate sample.

By episode 5, I loved it.

The concept of, "world-class assassin becomes terrible actor because it turns out he just really likes acting," never stops being funny to me.

Barry and Hank are perfect casting.

There's a ton of craftsmanship involved in Barry being a bit immature/stunted.

The violence is clinical and efficient -- not fun. Thematically, this is perfect.

I could keep going but you get the idea.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I absolutely love Barry but if you're not into it by episode 5 you're not going to get into it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I absolutely love Barry but if you're not into it by episode 5 you're not going to get into it.

Agreed, you have seen what it has to offer, if it hasn't grabbed you yet, then it won't.

That said, it grabbed me on Episode1 and I have loved almost every single episode since.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Even if you can't get into Barry you need to watch S2E5! It's pretty bonkers and approaches Banshee levels of fighting if you like that sort of stuff.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I like Barry, but I was sad Documentary Now was Hader-less this year. His characters on that show were always outstanding.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Finally finished off Black Sails. Had a much happier ending than I was expecting. I mean, I get some of the characters had to survive, but for the kind of show it was for most of it's run it really did end on a high note.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Finally finished off Black Sails. Had a much happier ending than I was expecting. I mean, I get some of the characters had to survive, but for the kind of show it was for most of it's run it really did end on a high note.

Agreed. The writers really seemed to revel in making the main character lose as much as possible at a very high pace, in order to fuel his extraordinary comebacks and knack for survival. The ending was so different from that, so redeeming, but on the whole it did not bother me as inconsistent. The whole show was pretty great. Very enjoyable stuff.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Special on Netflix is entertaining but the pretty explicit gay sex isn't for everyone I guess

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

pahuyuth posted:

Even if you can't get into Barry you need to watch S2E5! It's pretty bonkers and approaches Banshee levels of fighting if you like that sort of stuff.

Banshee is one of the best shows. It is a complete show, and my go-to recommendation to everyone.

Nobody I know has said they hated it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hizawk posted:

Banshee is one of the best shows. It is a complete show, and my go-to recommendation to everyone.

Nobody I know has said they hated it yet.
My wife and I loved Banshee so much. We burned through the first two seasons on Prime and then got a free week-long Cinemax trial subscription to burn through Seasons 3 and 4. As soon as Warrior wraps up, I'm going to resubscribe to Cinemax to binge it. If it's even half as rad as Banshee, I know I'll love it.