Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Halberd Bailey is where my unconventional wands come out. Polymorph, random effect, etc. Like fish in a barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/ZeeToo/morgue-ZeeToo-20190511-211159.txt

This was a very silly game. Same one as the double-mesmerized one earlier.

Got Gauntlets of War out of my chest, got Vehumet (!) from a faded altar. Got hard blocked by some early unseen horrors, so I swapped to TSO. Veh threw mild damage at me until they got bored; it was basically a complete non-issue. Things went about as you'd hope from there until I got to Depths, where I found Boots of the Assassin. On my radiant glowing minotaur in GDA. I put them on anyway.

I eventually thought it might be fun to 15-rune, so I went looking for a good two-hander to go with, because my +9 double sword of holy wrath was... fine, but the shield would be minimally useful in Hell and Pan. Couldn't find it anywhere. I did Elf and V5 and Crypt and Zot and nothing really grabbed me. I either wanted a really good artefact greatsword or a triple sword.

At the suggestion of a spectator (sorry I am bad with names), I tried my zig up to as deep as I felt comfortable, then bailed. ?acquirement would only drop poo poo like battleaxes or scimitars, but I got an... okay +11 randart greatsword as well as the sword of the zealot. I didn't really feel it, so I went and did Tomb, too. No good loot there. But there was, of course, another zigfig.

I did sixteen levels of it before I found a triple sword. And it was already holy wrath and I had enough scrolls that I enchanted it myself without asking TSO.

At that point it was extremely anticlimactic. I just went and tabbed my way through the hells and the fixed pan levels before coming across holy pan right after. Well... holy fire does nothing to me. I went and clowned on the seraph and picked up the demonic rune, there was a gate out of pan in the same floor, and nothing really challenged my orb run.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
gently caress, I'm down to #7. :(

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Why wouldn't you go into a Bailey? It's not like orcs move at spriggan speed, if you get an orc warlord and 2 knights at XL 8 just leave. Even then I usually just bring them all back to the entrance, teleport, grab the loot, leave. There's a reason they're called bail-eys. Most of the layouts are hilarious if you have a means of confuse or enslave.

I finally won a mummy.

pre:
araganzar the Warrior (Mummy Archaeologist)        Turns: 78737, Time: 06:05:05

Health: 214/214    AC: 33    Str: 29    XL:     27
Magic:  34/34      EV: 24    Int: 20    God:    Gozag
Gold:   1911       SH: 15    Dex: 18    Spells: 2/58 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   a - +7 captain's cutlass {speed, disarm, DID I SAY 19 I MEAN 21 CURARE}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   j - +0 shield {AC+3}
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   n - +8 fire dragon scales
rPois    ∞         Spirit   .   l - +0 hat of Resupn {rF+ Regen+ Dex+2}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   h - +1 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   E - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR       +++++     Clarity  +   U - +2 pair of boots {Stlth+}
Stlth    +.........             V - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
HPRegen  0.85/turn              r - ring "Qaof" {rPois rF+ Str+5}
MPRegen  0.24/turn              d - ring "Maneshe" {rN+ Str+6 Slay+4 Stlth-}
Mummies suck, and Captain's Cutlass sucks, it's basically a +7 rapier. Still better than the games I got firestarter and olgrebs. Had 23/13/5 defenses entering vaults, finally found EA and clearly finding clarity was huge. +0 FDA lying on the ground on D10 was a huge find for gozag worshipping Mu as well as finding Four Winds in Elf. I hit 5 a whole bunch of times in this game.

Real painful, you look down on V2 and you have 6 armor and dodging. Went hard into Necromancy, Borgnor's Clutch is exactly that, clutch. But I never found a spell over level 6. Still +9 demon blade and +9 quick blade with excruciating wounds (now a permabuff, but it goes down when you swap weapons). Couldn't figure out how to kill OOFs without restore abilities so I just
didn't spend any money through V5 and Depths and bribed zot 5 twice.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Also from a previous game, the best ever lair vault for a Yrd worshipper. WISE FWUM YOU GWAVES!!!!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its so good

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Wizlabs are the worst portals, for my money. Labyrinths are a little TOO easy, sewer is earlygame and rarely bad at all unless you get it on like d:3 and Purgy is there, Baileys are usually worth it, volcano and ice cave are just a check on whether you have the appropriate resist. Wizlabs are the one-two punch of really deadly and not actually very lucrative.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Wiz labs are probably the most interesting portal, but the loot is reliably pretty terrible.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have played countless hours in this game, and NEVER seen a wizlab. Wait, maybe one? Rare as hen's teeth as far as I'm concerned.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still think wizlabs should be converted in a small side-branch that appears every game and is randomized between all the types so it's near-always something different. give them actually worthwhile loot but have them be weird and tricky encounters with cool themes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Why does the Singing Sword force more each time it does its thing? I appreciate the flavor text and all, but it's kind of silly for it to encourage more space bar mashing.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Mordekai posted:

I have a loving curse on me when playing trolls. I cannot for the life of me win with one.

Try going unarmed and worship yred.

This is my only good crawl advice and I will repeat it anytime someone mentions trolls or needing an easy win.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i still think wizlabs should be converted in a small side-branch that appears every game and is randomized between all the types so it's near-always something different. give them actually worthwhile loot but have them be weird and tricky encounters with cool themes.

Some wizlabs have fantastic loot. The staff of Wucad Mu is game-breakingly good on a caster. I think there’s guaranteed moon troll leather in the moon base, too. It’s just that a lot of the wizlabs also have boring loot and are very threatening, like the one with all the mummies and demons, which seems to be more than 1/2 of all the wizlabs I’ve ever seen.

I feel ice caves are definitely the most dangerous portals, since they can sucker you into trying to take on a giant, dragon or fiend way before you’re ready. The dangerous baileys are even nastier, relative to when they can appear, but they’re easy to recognize and there’s nothing that stops you from just leaving.

Wizlabs and the desolation of salt can be really dangerous, but they show up at a point where characters should have enough options to either kill or escape out of depth enemies reliably, so dying in one feels more like the player’s fault. I absolutely love the desolation of salt, it usually has great loot, presents a unique and interesting challenge and has wonderful flavor.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I like wizlabs and think they're cool, but they are rare, if nothing else. Overall they're some of the most unique and lovingly-crafted vault levels in the game, so it's kind of a shame that most people don't get to see them much and don't enjoy them much. Desolation of Salt is similarly cool for similar reasons; it helps suggest some kind of world existing beyond the confines of this one dungeon.

The Monastery of Wucad Mu is loving amazingly flavorful and has one of the single best caster items in the game. The mutation lab (associated with Cigutovi, maybe, if it's even still around?) is a highly amusing and thematically unique area which grants (or granted?) a nice big pile of mutation-themed potions to play with, on top of all the purple chunks. The demon lab is designed in a pretty sound way gameplay-wise, and tends to have decent loot if you plan on doing any summoning. I've seen a couple of others that weren't as memorable, admittedly, and I don't think I've ever found this famous moon lab that people keep bringing up. I've been to the lich's big goofy demon-summoning area a good half a dozen times that I can recall, and I can't remember if I've gotten the mutation lab once since they started fiddling with mutation as a mechanic, so it might not even be in the rotation anymore.

I agree that it would be cool to have a high chance of a wizlab portal showing up in a set area, but I'm not sure where would be best. Lair already has three sub-branches on top of frequently having other portals, Depths already has all the postgame portals and might be too late to consistently provide a challenge/appropriate reward, and while Elf would probably be the most thematic, it already has the Hall of Blades on E:2, so it might be saturating things a bit for a completely optional branch to be E:3 vault, E:2 HoB, E:1 Wizlab. Then again, what do I know? :v:

E: Just found fleshy mutation halls again. Lawlp.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 12, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Anyone who invests the time and skill into winning a game this hard should get to see one of the wiz labs unless they can't find it in time.

IMO if one of these sets of 2 have not been placed elsewhere:
- Dungeon 3-4 always has a sewer or ossuary
- Orc 1-2 always has a bailey or labyrinth
- Lair 5-6 always has an ice cave or volcano (branches are on 3-4)
- Vaults 1-2 should always have a bazaar if one has not spawned yet.
- Vaults 3-4 always has a wiz lab or desolation of salt

I have Skeleton, Ghoul, and Sludge Elf left to win for Archaeologist. I can't get anywhere with a Skeleton. I die using reap almost every time. Either something comes around the corner or I forget I have to back up into a safe spot first. If I do back up a polearm user or summoner shows up.

How is this harder than mummy? Any tips? FK please put in my artefact improvements so I can win this stupid race.

It doesn't help that I have games like this:
pre:
    40 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
   688 | D:2      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 14/15 MP: 2/2
  1043 | D:2      | Reached skill level 2 in Fighting
  1102 | D:2      | Noticed a centaur
  1105 | D:2      | Slain by a centaur

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 12, 2019

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
There's a throwing overhaul on regular trunk.

Javelins are just javelins now. They all always penetrate. Tomahawks are boomerangs and always have returning. Blowguns are gone; needles are now darts. Needle types got condensed to the existing curare, frenzy (renamed to datura), and the others are lumped into "atropa" needles that blind and confuse.

This is a pretty good change!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Javelins are just javelins now. They all always penetrate. Tomahawks are boomerangs and always have returning. Blowguns are gone; needles are now darts. Needle types got condensed to the existing curare, frenzy (renamed to datura), and the others are lumped into "atropa" needles that blind and confuse.

Agreed. That seems pretty neat. Though I'll miss the name tomahawk, the always returning and needles actually being useful is nice.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

I hope curare are more common now to compensate for the loss of poison needles, my wizards use those a lot.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Aumanor posted:

I hope curare are more common now to compensate for the loss of poison needles, my wizards use those a lot.

Whoops! Poison darts still exist and I hosed that up.

They're less common, though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ZeeToo posted:

Javalins sound good! Boomerangs are a rather goofy mental image, but ok sure. But I draw the line at darts. If it has no weight nor appreciable damage and is just used for it's poisonous effects, the only thing that makes sense are things the size of lawn darts. That's just not a thing I'm ready for, some guy in leather armour flicking out darts with great dexterity going "Take this, and thissss!" while dispensing pub darts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Serephina posted:

Javalins sound good! Boomerangs are a rather goofy mental image, but ok sure. But I draw the line at darts. If it has no weight nor appreciable damage and is just used for it's poisonous effects, the only thing that makes sense are things the size of lawn darts. That's just not a thing I'm ready for, some guy in leather armour flicking out darts with great dexterity going "Take this, and thissss!" while dispensing pub darts.
I'm doubling down on loving the darts name now specifically because they make this guy mad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

it's especially amusing because you're australian or whatever

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The mental image of a character encountering Cerebov and throwing a lawn dart at his face resulting in him stumbling into the lava makes it all worth it I think.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Salt might be dangerous but unlike wizlabs the loot is usually pretty good, so it's a risk I almost always take. Do like them both though for the variety they inject.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Best caster I've ever had. I'm very lethal, but very loud, especially once I fire up my servitor.

And yet, my resists are abysmal. Where do I go from here? Do I try to take on Abyss? Pan? Or do I just get my first caster win and hope the floor god gives me some better poo poo next time?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What? Maybe if you're talking the secondary resists in rCorr and rElec but you've got a pip in everything else AND clarity. Although you're a madman to have Conjure Ball Lightning with a Servitor running. :v:

Burn through Zot for more experience and get a second element up and running to level 9 (or Translocations for Singularity and added security layer with Controlled Blink) but you can do places like Pan and Abyss no problem. If you do the latter, however, train some more Stealth so you can alpha strike a nasty and flee with less consequences. Just taking a win is boring!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

That's just not a thing I'm ready for, some guy in leather armour flicking out darts with great dexterity going "Take this, and thissss!" while dispensing pub darts.

Einwand posted:

The mental image of a character encountering Cerebov and throwing a lawn dart at his face resulting in him stumbling into the lava makes it all worth it I think.

fr: add lawn darts, work like regular darts but land on target square 3 turns after being thrown. chance based on dex for dart to land in an adjacent tile instead.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Araganzar posted:

fr: add lawn darts, work like regular darts but land on target square 3 turns after being thrown. chance based on dex for dart to land in an adjacent tile instead.

should add a movement debuff and bleeding damage if the lawn dart hits something

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Every time you hit with one you can't throw another for a while because they've been made temporarily illegal

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Papa Oka just gave me a +11 Executioner’s Axe of freezing, with resists and stat boosts to boot. I’m a gnoll. Lord, give me the strength to ward off temptation...

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Smiling Knight posted:

Papa Oka just gave me a +11 Executioner’s Axe of freezing, with resists and stat boosts to boot. I’m a gnoll. Lord, give me the strength to ward off temptation...

Eh, what's another 100,000 turns in the Abyss, anyways? That's nothing, right?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
After splatting a million Fo Archaeologists, I got one with the Singing Sword off the ground. I've never used this version of the sword and I am absolutely loving it.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
So I got scythe of curses, equipped it, and it summoned a floating skull that killed me. Nice.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Eh, what's another 100,000 turns in the Abyss, anyways? That's nothing, right?

Hey hey hey, you ONLY need to get all your skills up to 21, Oka will do the rest. Practically a steal!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

A runed door that doesn't effectively block anything from getting out. Very useful.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sounds like it was a ruined door instead! :downsrim:

I guess I'll keep an eye out for that vault definition and see what's up there.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Pffhah, I assume this has already been observed/addressed somewhere, but I have encountered an amusing bug in the build I'm currently playing. So far, at least, it seems that the issue is that if I one-shot a mummy priest from full health, then the game crashes. No crashes so far if the first blow isn't the killing blow. In all three crashes so far the crashdump shows that the Mummy Priest died in a single blow. First world ogre problems. :v:

E: Ah, it finally triggered on a guardian mummy. Must be a death curse and I was just having weird luck.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 13, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Ye feel a genetic drift!
_Yer genes go inta a fast flux! Yer wild genetic ride slows down!
Evolution is such a great mutation.

e:

I haven't even found lair yet. :shepface:

e2:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 13, 2019

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serephina posted:

Just imagine https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumbata but dipped in whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or just magical hyperlead giving lead poisoning in fast forward