Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Was this ever rebadged as a Ford? I saw a scene in some Taiwanese soap my wife was watching where a little "cabover" truck had a Ford logo up front. I assumed it would have to be a company that Ford worked with.

Yeah I think J80 is what they called the truck.

Seems like Puerto Rico is the place to go if you like Mazdas, especially rotaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So... which one of you is massively outbidding me on the two door kz prado? :getin:

Someone has a max in of over a million yen. Too rich for my blood! I imagine they will win it guaranteed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I imagine they will win it guaranteed.

You'd be surprised.

EDIT

That is to say, I wasn't even the highest bidder and we aren't even meeting reserve.

KZ Prados are much, MUCH more expensive than the LT ones. Manual transmissions push the price up higher, short wheel base ones are rarer still and ones with under 100k km on them are super rare. That 2 door Prado is an expensive truck and the sellers know it. I think they have it way too high and the fact that it hasn't sold for the last 3 weeks is testament to that.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 26, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I was about to say, for that price I'd definitely be buying a six cylinder 70 or 80 series.

Scott told me the reserve wasn't even reached and the wife and I just had our minds blown!

I've never really understood why swb 4wds are more desirable but then again I am into over landing and not rock crawling or going up really tight trails (though I've taken the 4runner up some pretty tight atv trails.). Clearly there is massive demand though, just look at how well wranglers sell.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 26, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I was about to say, for that price I'd definitely be buying a six cylinder 70 or 80 series.

Scott told me the reserve wasn't even reached and the wife and I just had our minds blown!

I've never really understood why swb 4wds are more desirable but then again I am into over landing and not rock crawling or going up really tight trails (though I've taken the 4runner up some pretty tight atv trails.). Clearly there is massive demand though, just look at how well wranglers sell.

It's the low mileage mostly, probably. 74000 miles total is nothing and the KZ is a legit radical engine. I want it pretty badly.

ANYWAY! Next week is GOLDEN WEEK which means there will be gently caress-all going on in Japan for cars, auctions, and car auctions. Thankfully I scored at the last moment:

Auction Sheet posted:

70137- 5mt, actual mileage, extra low, axle lock, slightly oily, steering wheel peeling, cargo area dents and scratches, interior dirty, other dents and scratches

Inspection Report posted:

NOPE

1991 Suzuki Carry truck, 4WD. Extra Low First Gear, axle lock. No AC which is out of character for me. BUT it only has 7686 km (4775 miles), total. Paid 960 dollars for it at auction, not bad at all for a brand-new 1991 4WD Suzuki. I also didn't get an inspection done because I didn't spot it till there was less than an hour left, so I blind bid. Also out of character but eh.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I will say that that swb 70 series you won a Lil while back had me salivating what with the big i6 and all.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice buy on the Suzuki Kaker. I probably need to pick up a tiny cheap truck myself after I sell these vans.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I wonder if anyone would want what amounts of a LHD conversion for a S80 Hijet, since the one I'm probably going to scrap is LHD and complete. The only weIded on part is the throttle pedal bracket, and its just spot welded. I also was able to find a speedometer cluster in miles per hour, which is super rare for only UK market 1.0L powered Hijets.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yeah so apparently the diesels of that Era (the one in the cruisers), while strong, need a bottom end rebuild every 150 to 200k, plus the diesels command such a premium. If I can get a petrol powered one then suddenly every Toyota dealer in the USA has spare engine parts and that really means something out here in Utah. If I am taking the thing 120mi back into a high clearance blm road it's nice to know that I can catch a ride to O'Reilly if I need spare parts! So yeah, 3f reliability is a big one. Fuckin price is another one, diesel 80 series cost so much more than petrol powered. That said I'd very much love a diesel 80 if I got a good deal on it and the bottom end bearings had been done.

It's cool they made them, I just need to keep a sharp eye out then.

We are going diesel with the hiace because a) it's gonna be an auto, as we want a supercustom and they appear to be auto-only, and b) we live where driving up really steep mountains is the norm and the freeways in town are 70mph (so basically 80). I know someone with a slower 2.4l hiace and it simply can't hack it on the freeway, so I knew that the kz is the only option. Plus, that resale value! The van will eventually get flipped after camping in it all summer (hoping to flip a couple of them to be honest) and the kz should be a big selling point. We'd accept a town ace or lite ace too, but I don't know as much about the engine options in those.

We want an 80 series to eventually replace the 3rd gen 4runner we use for over landing currently, and I am willing to sacrifice diesel mpg and torque for repairability in every backwoods utah town. But it's gotta be a manual because they are so much better for sand and snow driving.

BTW I have been looking at more hiaces and there were no less than THREE ones identical to mine being sold as is. Makes me wonder if the rust just gets them that bad? Seems to hit the 4wd ones the hardest, which makes sense as they probably just wallow in salty snow slush what with being 4WD/AWD.

Update: Mat will probably have the van at USS Yokohama next week.

How many do you want? We had THOUSANDS of them down here in Australia, and with the 1FZ-FE engine too, rather than the crappy old 3F-E petrol the really early ones got.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/re...80..1994%29.%29

The FZJ80's drink like a sailor tho.

The other option is you get a wrecker in Australia to send you an FZJ80 gearbox and bellhousing and and just swap a USDM 80 series. the US 80's are waaaaay more plush than AU ones and have things like factory lockers

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

KakerMix posted:

2.4 2L-TE turbo diesel, the engine that everyone in Australia is convinced will explode with a billion suns at all times, forever. From the research I've done it seems like the engine itself is more susceptible to blowing its headgasket than a typical Toyota engine, especially when it's in the outback running full-bore. Since an automatic would be tied into the cooling system those are the ones that seem to pop more often. Combine all of that together and it has that reputation though you do have to go looking for it, it wasn't something I could find without looking for it on message boards or being informed by people here. Seems like in Japan it doesn't have that reputation. The other Prado we had was neglected awfully before we got it the heater core already being bypassed, and that thing was king beast all throughout our driving here in the sweltering Florida summer. Also had the same 2.4 in it.
The ideal Prado would be a 93 or 94, exactly the same (maybe the wide body depending on your style preferences) with the 5 speed and the KZ engine. The KZ is flat-out better than the 2L-TE but would have also added 4 grand on top of the price, and this Prado wasn't cheap to begin with. More difficult to find with 5 speeds the newer you get too.

Then again, 1KZ-TE surfs blow head gaskets and crack heads with startling regularity down here too. When I was doing my surf engine conversion in my Hilux the general consensus was that japanese climate radiators are just not suited to AU conditions. Your never going to see the 40+ degree temps whilst working hard in japan, but you are going to see lots of cold weather and snow, so a smaller cooling system that comes up to temp faster to get the heater working sooner is more important.

Most of the 2L-TE's and 1KZ-TE surfs that have had a massive aftermarket alloy radiator stuck in them are perfectly fine- My hilux wound up with the radiator and fan from a 2000 AU delivered turbo diesel hilux in it because the factory surf brass unit, even after it was de-tanked, rodded, cleaned and overhauled wouldnt control temps on really hot days going up a hill.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I don稚 know if the Australian delivered Corolla is actually different to a JDM model but the radiator and ac condenser in mine seem giant. They also work pretty well in 44 Celsius while flogging the car up steep hills so that痴 nice.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I was reading on the Toyota 4wd forums that apparently they have two different thermostats for the kz, depending on operating temps in the region (jdm comes with a thermostat that opens later due to Japan being on the colder side.) Also apparently the HG has a bunch of blocked off passages somehow? Some dudes had good luck opening them back up. At any rate yea it seems like a great engine but I keep hearing about them blowing headgaskets in warm climates.

Thanks for the info, ferremit - I have thought about just doing a swap before, and I might still go for it, but now I am thinking screw it and just get a diesel. A friend had a lx 450 in high school and it was amazing. It also got 13mpg max with the 1fz-fe. But drat if the thing wasn't reliable as all hell!

I learned recently that the jdm 80 series kept the 1fz carbed until 97 or later. Unreal! Not sure that would ever pass smog here (in UT smog goes until you get a vintage plate at 30yrs which suuucks.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Does smog not go by the original vehicle's specs?

It seems strange to expect a vehicle to perform better than it did new.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I don't know for sure since I haven't had to smog an import yet but at least around here it's only the populous counties that have smog so it's already sort of an amateur hour. I can imagine if I showed up with a "land cruiser with a 4500 cc gas engine" they are going to want to hold it to the same standards as the land cruisers with a 4500 cc gas engine that were initially sold here - I can't see them somehow looking up the specs for another market's smog controls (or lack thereof, in this case) and I am pretty sure every vehicle has to pass smog unless it's a vintage plate (which you can't get until the 30 year mark).

At least on an engine that wasn't sold here with no obdii they can just do a sniffer test and not have trouble in the computer system. I am lucky I only have to wait til vintage status, as there is a guy in Cali that brought a 1fz cruiser fire truck over and literally cannot register it. He can only drive it with exhibition single day permits.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 4, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Land Cruiser 80 series you say?

YOU ESS AYE YOU ESS AYE

Plus I did get the entire vehicle history in the form of inspection reports going back to brand freakin' new:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KakerMix posted:

Nobody wants to go 130 mph in an 82 Acty you guys

Nobody

What is the handling like >55mph? Is it the suspension? Short wheelbase? Both?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I am lucky I only have to wait til vintage status, as there is a guy in Cali that brought a 1fz cruiser fire truck over and literally cannot register it. He can only drive it with exhibition single day permits.

There's the correct way to import and be able to smog a car in California, and he didn't do any of it. It would have to be run through an ARB testing lab to actually measure the emissions output so they have something to check against when they smog test. I asked a lab and they said its $4-10K depending on what sort of emissions equipment it actually has from the factory.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kimbo305 posted:

What is the handling like >55mph? Is it the suspension? Short wheelbase? Both?

Within limits. It doesn't feel like you are going to fast or anything, nor do you feel like you are going to lose control, it's just that is where it likes to be, as if the truck settles into a nice little valley. That's what 55 mph in it feels like. It's the same with the newer Carrys or Actys as well, though Actys have the rev range to go much faster, just there isn't much power so it takes time to climb back up in speed.

Picks of the Carry we bought just before Golden Week:

Surprise it's a plain white kei truck. This part though:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Asked to get Skyline checked out and this is what I got back:

Got the Skyline looked at and this is what the mechanic says is worth repairing/fixing/swapping

clutch disk
pilot bushing
release bearings
clutch cover assy
clutch shaft oil seal
and transport back to port

92,000 yen

Thoughts?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

Asked to get Skyline checked out and this is what I got back:

Got the Skyline looked at and this is what the mechanic says is worth repairing/fixing/swapping

clutch disk
pilot bushing
release bearings
clutch cover assy
clutch shaft oil seal
and transport back to port

92,000 yen

Thoughts?

Skyline parts are easily available, you should do the clutch yourself and save

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Skyline parts are easily available, you should do the clutch yourself and save

Hmm...I値l try to look up some prices. If it痴 just a few hundred bucks difference probably have it done in Japan, thinking this one will be a big money maker

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I talked with someone that has a Pao in BC, and apparently there is some generic round headlight that can be bashed into working with the Pao enough to get past the inspection, which demands LHD spec lights (which of course were not made for the Pao.

Maybe I'll chance on buying a Pao or Be1 and see if I can get it to pass inspection.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

I talked with someone that has a Pao in BC, and apparently there is some generic round headlight that can be bashed into working with the Pao enough to get past the inspection, which demands LHD spec lights (which of course were not made for the Pao.

Maybe I'll chance on buying a Pao or Be1 and see if I can get it to pass inspection.

What is your price goal? I love the idea of a Pao etc... but prices sometimes are very high

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

everdave posted:

What is your price goal? I love the idea of a Pao etc... but prices sometimes are very high

Lol I hadn't even really looked yet. What have decent ones been selling for recently?

There's two for sale on Vancouver Craigslist for around C$5000

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

Lol I hadn't even really looked yet. What have decent ones been selling for recently?

They can sometimes go for twice that +, reason why I don稚 bid.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I met a new Jimny (MY2019) on the road, it's deceptively big, much bigger than one would guess by the press photos. It's wider than a pajero pinin now so i think it might start to have issues going into old roads. Compared to the old gen it seems more comfortable/modern but it loses some of the old compact/small mule charm it had.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Femtosecond posted:

Paos are confusingly expensive.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Paos are confusingly expensive.

I assume they sell well to the Japanese market, they never bring big money from what I致e seen over here, maybe 5-7k max and I致e seen them go for over a million yen at Japan auction

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

everdave posted:

I assume they sell well to the Japanese market, they never bring big money from what I致e seen over here, maybe 5-7k max and I致e seen them go for over a million yen at Japan auction

Naw, it's all that one jerk in the US who owns like a bajillion of em.

e: i guess that was figaros. He's got 133 figaros, only 6 paos

come on, gary

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 12, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow I know about that guy but had no idea he had so many of those. I mean I love the retro style but I知 sore not going to pay Land Cruiser prices for one

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

everdave posted:

Wow I know about that guy but had no idea he had so many of those. I mean I love the retro style but I知 sore not going to pay Land Cruiser prices for one

He actually has them listed for sale now that they're legal and stuff.

If you want the real low down on what the ladies are in to, look right here.

https://www.duncanimports.com/used/Mitsuoka/1993-Mitsuoka-Viewt-1293f1800a0e08bd2fad829e51feee7e.htm

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Definitely never seen one of those!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
i didnt see this in the OP and if i missed It i apologize? Is it stillpossible to get a half cut from over there? as in just the front of car chopped with the engine intactnm
never mind found it.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 13, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I know you said never mind but yes you can

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

everdave posted:

I know you said never mind but yes you can

What am i realistically saving by sourcing an enigne there, shipping it, paying all the fees and poo poo rather than just paying a premium for one thats already over here?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
They charge us by volume so you would save there, I assume you wouldn稚 have to clear everything with customs like we do but I致e never done it.no matter what you would save over getting a whole vehicle no matter what

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
*drives around in 2WD to the surprise of every USDM 80 series*

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser VX HDJ81. Straight 6 turbo diesel power, 5 speed manual transmission, cloth seats, glacial AC, phenomenal shape, all original. While it is wearing aftermarket 2-piece wheels it did come with the original silver steel wheels, which are also in excellent shape. I've got all 3 original keys, including the ~official~ Toyota keyfob (that still works) to wirelessly lock/unlock, and the (presumably) original Land Cruiser leather keychain. I've got the original owner's manual, inspection/maintenance history going back to new, AND the original owner wasn't a smoker. These pictures are it off the boat, has not been cleaned yet. I'm still waiting on the package I had shipped to arrive that has the original grill. This one looks worse in pictures than it does in real life, still gently caress-off bad though, even if it is solid metal.
God these things are much bigger than I thought they were.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
This post might Super Exceed your expectations :smug:

1994 Mitsubishi Delica Super Exceed. I've mentioned it before but according to the big-rear end sales brochure we have, you aren't supposed to be able to get a Super Exceed with a manual transmission yet here we are. As this is a 1994 Star Wagon L300 it would have been sharing the showroom floor with its replacement, the 1994 L400, the round "Space Gear" Delica. This thing too is all original and clean, came with the original owner's manual. I don't know in the hierarchy where trims like Chamonix slot in regards to the Super Exceed, but in this Delica everything is soft, all the surfaces are flocked and the seats and carpets, while they do not say Chamonix they sure are fat and plus, and the seat pattern looks like its just missing the 'Chamonix' stitched in.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Delica Stuff

Man I love the way Delicas look. My girlfriend texted me this picture from a local brewery today:

Also was behind a Super Custom Limited with tags from Yotaimports yesterday but never stopped long enough to safely get a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Wow that thing is beautiful. Glad you have the original keys, is that key style shared with the US models?

edit: I'd totally buy that rear drawer set if you pull it out

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 13, 2019