Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I travel for business and good travel gear is a great investment. I highly reccomend Tumi if you can swing the price, if not Timbuk2 is probably the best mid level option. Both are very high quality and can take a solid beating. I wouldn't ruck/hike/camp with it, but I've taken approx 80ish flights in the year or so and my Tumi stuff is still flawless.

Both are designed for high volume business travelers and will hold up to college poo poo as well and will allow you to look like a professional and not a student.

My only specific guidance would be to go with a laptop backpack bc it can double as an overnight bag in a pinch. My only regret is buying the Tumi laptop briefcase/messenger bag instead of the backpack.

E: black Friday is a great tumi day they usually discount to not insane pricing. I will probably pick up a backpack this year. Timbuk2 used to have fairly frequent web based sales

My Tumi backpack is my favorite possession. I like that it has an accordion extension thing so I can expand it for traveling and compact it for carrying a couple things to work. They have outlet stores where stuff gets discounted 50% so that’s a good way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I was gifted a brilliant red and orange used timbuk2 messenger in the nineties that is still used for small game/bird hunting. The waterproof interior means blood doesn't drip out of it :black101: and it's bright enough to see a mile off. I just wash it out and stash it away till next year. It has handled all manner of thorns, branches, rocks etc etc.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
While on Bag Talk, my new laptop/tablet/commuter bag came in 3 days ago from the Ali Express store Good Items, Good Life.

It is really good for $20 bux, got it like a month after ordering. Jesus, I can't believe how long I've been using the old AAFES BX black satchel bag.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Have a Patagonia rain jacket which is great. I also like Outdoor Research apparel and REI-branded items.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Old duffel bags make great heavy bags.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I have a Patagonia soft shell jacket that's probably about 11 yrs old and still one of my go-to items. It has a very clever design: the position of the pockets and the long tail of the coat still function with a pack with a hipbelt. Has a real, functional hood.

The episode of How I Built This that aired on my NPR yesterday had Yvon Chounard. He's a real interesting guy to listen to

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Have a Patagonia rain jacket which is great. I also like Outdoor Research apparel and REI-branded items.

I'm that guy who's tricked out in REI branded stuff every time I go hiking or camping.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

My North Face Recon backpack has been great for day to day usage and also for my overseas trips. One big pouch fits my laptop and iPad, and the smaller pouch to the rear holds a few granola bars, my FAK and other items in case something bad happens and I need to hunker down for a bit.

I had a Chrome messenger bag that lasted for well over ten years before it started to disintegrate, and the pack I replaced it with will likely have similar longevity.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Outdoor Research Pertex jacket still looks like new a decade on.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Jfc 34 new posts in the CE thread

33 about backpacks and poo poo

Why don't you fuckin guys so start a thread "The Backpacks and More Megathread: PYF gear!" or some poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Why don't you fuckin guys so start a thread "The Backpacks and More Megathread: PYF gear!" or some poo poo

sorry nobody asked for purse opinions

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Very upset people are talking about sustainable manufacturing itt

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

sorry nobody asked for purse opinions

Dusted by heteronormative cisgender role-shaming

drat

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1127317840862830598?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Internet Wizard posted:

Very upset people are talking about sustainable manufacturing itt

Nah man hes right. There should be another thread for gear poo poo, just so people dont have to shift through the current events to find the answers. I'd make it but I dont know how to do it in the app.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Melthir posted:

Nah man hes right. There should be another thread for gear poo poo, just so people dont have to shift through the current events to find the answers. I'd make it but I dont know how to do it in the app.

Done - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889387

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

But what about a thread for good purse recommendations? :ohdear:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

RFC2324 posted:

But what about a thread for good purse recommendations? :ohdear:

Got you covered

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

A Bad Poster posted:

Got you covered

I’m the non-Euclidean anatomy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That's not a knee, it's [REDACTED]

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1127611934134755328?s=21

Owns.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm really okay with a chud tax that is then rubbed in their faces

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

that guy should get a medal

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

that guy should get a medal

Please do not encourage Brian Kolfage. Dude is a massive piece of poo poo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ollie North, refusing to go quietly, has leaked to the WSJ expense reports showing Wayne LaPierre billing the NRA for $39,000 of clothing in a single day.

Please keep devouring each other you traitorous shits.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

Ollie North, refusing to go quietly, has leaked to the WSJ expense reports showing Wayne LaPierre billing the NRA for $39,000 of clothing in a single day.

Please keep devouring each other you traitorous shits.

I hope they collapse into the gaping maw of their own treachery

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Quelle surprise

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm just basking in the idea that Ollie North wasn't corrupt and unethical enough for the NRA's liking.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm just basking in the idea that Ollie North wasn't corrupt and unethical enough for the NRA's liking.

IIRC he's also extremely corrupt and unethical (In his role at the NRA, not just in general obviously), and the conflict is mostly over how much everyone involved should be allowed to steal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If I was going to steal $40K I sure as gently caress wouldn't spend it on suits. I also wouldn't steal anything, but that's beside the point.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you're gonna steal from the NRA you have to steal big enough to make it count as your redemption arc

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

If you're gonna steal from the NRA you have to steal big enough to make it count as your redemption arc

So, paying for a bunch of school kids funerals?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Thanks to the NRA, those kids won’t have any student loans!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Arrath posted:

So, paying for a bunch of school kids funerals?

https://twitter.com/patdennis/status/1126488013599641601?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:staredog:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/1127751996650479617?s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LET THEM DIE

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
there was a discussion to expand the public health service and basically send uniformed people on orders out to select remote places

then trump happened and the administration is pushing for huge cuts

sorry

(not sorry)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Or someone like Gravel, Warren, or Bernie could get them and their kids proper educations and healthcare so that they can be proper citizens who contribute to society. You know, instead of purging people we don't agree with.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Guess you're getting your wish.

quote:

He drove away from the hospital and into the adjacent neighborhood, passing the first home, with a collapsed front porch and windows blown out by a tornado. “I sat with that lady as she died four years ago, and now this house just rots away,” he said. He turned onto another block and drove past a bungalow where the owner had died of lung cancer at 58. Next was a suspected drug overdose. Next was a midnight heart attack in the bathroom, and Graham had checked for a pulse and then stayed to pray with the new widower until his children came from Wichita.

His cellphone rang, and he pulled over to answer it. “Hey, bud,” he said, and he listened as a patient described a pain that was rising from his stomach to his chest. “Trust me. I know history on you,” he said. “This medication can help, but it might make your depression worse. Make sure you go up there and see the counselors, all right?”

He hung up and continued down the block, past a house that had belonged to a young married couple. “I might have delivered both of them,” Graham said, and he’d remained their doctor until a few years earlier, when the husband shot and killed his wife in a domestic dispute and police shot the husband. They rushed him to Fairfax Community in critical condition, and Graham had been trying to drain fluid from his heart when he died on the operating table.

He rolled down his window and turned onto Main Street, where redbud trees bloomed outside abandoned storefronts, and his cellphone rang again. Another patient. More chronic pain. “I’ll call in a refill at the pharmacy,” he said. “Remember now, those old boys can’t just trust anybody these days. Make sure to bring your identification.”

He’d been offered easier jobs in Tulsa for better pay, but he’d grown up in another poor town with too few doctors, learning medicine as a teenager by administering his mother’s dialysis. Rural Oklahoma was down to one doctor for every 1,700 people, compared with one for every 400 nationally, and Graham had tried to compensate by opening a clinic downtown and treating uninsured patients free each month at a local church. He’d seen more than 10,000 patients over the course of his career, starting each new appointment with the same rule. “I can’t help unless you give me the truth,” Graham told his patients, and their truths were often depression, addiction, obesity, diabetes or lung disease.

He drove past the cemetery, where he’d buried his mother after treating her for kidney failure and his stepfather after treating him for lung cancer. He continued down a hill and idled for a minute in front of his ex-wife’s home, newly empty after she died three weeks earlier of unknown causes at age 62.

“I’m so sick of watching people die,” he said. “I keep trying to get out from under death, and I can’t do it. Who’s going to take care of these people?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can get behind that. They voted themselves into this position by pulling the GOP lever for the past 60 years.

I hope to be remote enough when I die that a hospital would be worthless to me. Or dead already from canned sunshine. Going to a VA hospital is like a death sentence anyhow for more than anything worse than a paper cut, and you'll probably still get an infection.