Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think that was more just supposed to be Tenjou’s version of a standard MOTW but in regards to Sentai I know Kyoryuger did it a bunch but not sure about the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Watched the Suite movie today, and pretty good that it opens with Mephisto being arrested for being a peeping tom. :v:

Pretty decent movie all around, one thing that kinda stood out to me is that they seem hesitant to show the Precure actually having any "battle damage" (for lack of a better term). Mostly this stood out to me because the scene of Super Sailor Moon holding baby Hotaru where her outfit is torn up and her hair is a mess is really iconic, and showed how tough things must have been for Usagi when she jumped into the other dimension to save Hotaru. Meanwhile in Suite Precure everyone is worried Hibiki might be dead while she looks perfectly fine, aside from a few dirt stains. And this was a movie, whereas Sailor Moon did it in the TV show which has a smaller budget. I dunno. As far as I know Sailor Moon is marketed to the same demographic as Precure is, so maybe some standards have changed in the 20 years since Sailor Moon was on the air or something. Or maybe they were just lazy.

But it really was a good movie although yeah episode 37 does kind of retread the plot point of Ako staying in Human World which would cause issues as far as placing the movie in the TV series canon (though it's a minor thing and not irreconcilable). I'm also kind of disappointed that Major Land seems to just be a bunch of humans. There was like, one dog person there which was a nice touch and I would've liked to have seen more unusual humanoids living there, I mean even the town itself was practically "Kanon Town, but with mushrooms."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, aside from a minor discrepancy with Episode 37 the movie does fit in fairly well directly after 36 (and as far as Precure movies go it's probably one of the better ones overall in my opinion). Though I agree it would have been nice to see a bit more diversity among Major Land's population (they have a fair amount of talking cats though given some of Siren's earlier flashbacks).

As for battle damage, the only time I've seen them really do that was in the DokiDoki movie (there's a scene where the film's antagonist bites Mana/Cure Heart's neck, complete with blood and a rather nasty looking wound that sticks around for several minutes afterwards before getting cured by magic). I think the Futari girls take a bit of a pounding later in their series as well, but that's about it as far as I can remember.

Speaking of DokiDoki, I'm not that far into it as I have other shows I'm catching up on at the same time but how did the dub handle the fact that Regina is rather blatantly in love with Mana (and unlike with Rikka it’s not that easy to edit around it either)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 8, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 15: The Precure travel to Canto Bight and win with the power of donuts, obtaining the Sagittarius pen in the process. As for our new friend Mao, she’s voiced by Sumire Uesaka who uses a cutesy voice for Mao and a more mature voice for Blue Cat. While Blue Cat is going after the Princess Pens for reasons unknown, she was more than willing to give one of them up if it meant that the Cures could win.

Next week looks to be another Madoka episode, this time focusing on archery.

I was hoping Mao would be just out for herself to start with (what with her being a thief and all) but I guess this means she’s more of a Robin Hood type that’s after the pens for a good reason (either that or in this case the Precure winning was just more beneficial to her goals).

Based on the title I’m guessing we’ll learn a bit more about her in episode 17.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Episode was a Tanaka episode so of course it looked real good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thinking Bakenyan might actually work for Blue Cat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thinking Bakenyan might actually work for Blue Cat.

It would make sense (hell, he and Mao may even be from the same planet/race). Another possibility could be that she works for him (though in this recent episode she did deliberately let a pen fall into the hands of the Precure so who knows).

If that’s the case I’m curious if he’ll become a good guy once Mao/Blue Cat inevitably becomes a Precure or if he’s got his own agenda in mind.

I’ll have to watch the subbed version to confirm but Mao and Aiwan appeared to recognize one another in this episode so it’s possible that she has some history with the NotRaiders (they don’t seem to like each other much at any rate).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 13, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Can they just stay in space forever? Thanks.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Madoka gets 2 focus episodes in a row, and also 2 rivals? Talk about privilege.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Madoka having a space thief for a new girlfriend is amazing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m not sure if we’ve ever had a character get two focus episodes back to back before. I also look forward to finding out more about Madoka’s future teammate/girlfriend Mao as well.

As for the Blue Cat herself, Mao seems a bit more altruistic than I expected and clearly seems to have some history with Aiwan. I’ll be interested to find out what her deal is.

Also subs are out now for episode 15.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 13, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

I’m not sure if we’ve ever had a character get two focus episodes back to back before. I also look forward to finding out more about Madoka’s future teammate/girlfriend Mao as well.

As for the Blue Cat herself, Mao seems a bit more altruistic than I expected and clearly seems to have some history with Aiwan. I’ll be interested to find out what her deal is.

Mao and Bakenyan really don't seem to be evil they just don't want the pens to be together. So I suspect the Precure solving that bit of the plot will be what leads us to our midseason cure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh Mao is almost definitely going to be our midseason Cure. Somebody hacked the Twinkle Book a while back and discovered Cure Cosmo (note the cat ears, tiny top hat, and near identical hairstyle to Blue Cat):

https://i.imgur.com/a2qOvDE.jpg

But no, despite being a thief she’s not evil and probably has her own reasons for going after the pens. Not sure about Bakenyan but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were connected somehow.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 13, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Larryb posted:

Oh Mao is definitely going to be our midseason Cure. Somebody hacked the Twinkle Book a while back and discovered [url=“https://i.imgur.com/a2qOvDE.jpg”]Cure Cosmo[/url] (note the cat ears and near identical hairstyle to Blue Cat).

But no, despite being a thief she’s not evil and probably has her own reasons for going after the pens. Not sure about Bakenyan but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were connected somehow.

That's a picture of Kappard, you dolt!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've seen some fans speculating that it might be Sakurako for some reason but Mao's the most likely candidate right now (unless they decide to pull a bait and switch like they did with Regina and have the new Cure turn out to be someone we've never heard of before).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

I've seen some fans speculating that it might be Sakurako for some reason
Sakurako and Cosmos have the same eye color/shape is the main thing I've seen, but, you know, Mao and Cure Cosmos both have cat themes.

It'd be cool for the random hime rival character to get to be a cure for once, especially since they're usually pretty fun characters, but I don't really see it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It would be hilarious if a pretty much run of the mill ojou rival stereotype ends up being a precure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

Sakurako and Cosmos have the same eye color/shape is the main thing I've seen, but, you know, Mao and Cure Cosmos both have cat themes.

It'd be cool for the random hime rival character to get to be a cure for once, especially since they're usually pretty fun characters, but I don't really see it.

I mean, I like Sakurako and would be all for her becoming a Precure (or at least getting some more screentime), but Cosmo’s outfit just looks like a natural evolution of Blue Cat’s so I’m still betting on Mao for the moment. Time will tell of course.

Cure or not I at least hope that Sakurako will at least get a bit more of a presence in this series, especially compared to Kirara’s self-proclaimed “rival” from Go Princess who was hilarious but for some reason just completely disappeared after her debut until the final arc of the show.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 13, 2019

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

Larryb posted:

I’m not sure if we’ve ever had a character get two focus episodes back to back before.

I feel like a Pink probably has.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I kind of hope we get a focus episode about Hikaru’s family at some point as despite being Pink she seems to ironically be the least developed member of the team so far.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I kind of hope we get a focus episode about Hikaru’s family at some point as despite being Pink she seems to ironically be the least developed member of the team so far.

I feel Elena could maybe use a bit more fleshing out. She doesn't have an obvious arc ahead of her like the others.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elena at least got that episode about her family a few weeks ago, I don’t think we’ve seen Hikaru’s since like episode 3 or so (and she hasn’t really gotten an episode specifically devoted to her since the beginning).

We also don’t really know that much about her family (or even if her dad is still alive for that matter) aside from her grandpa being a bit of a crank. Hikaru is probably my favorite character after Lala so it would be nice to explore her a bit more.

I agree that Elena could stand with a bit more fleshing out as well though (right now she’s basically just a Hispanic version of Nao minus the sports and irrational fear of bugs/ghosts).

Comparatively, Lala’s an alien who’s probably going to get found out sooner or later, there’s definitely going to be some kind of confrontation between Madoka and her dad later down the line, Mao knows way more than she’s letting on (she appeared to have some kind of history with Aiwan and knew right away that Hikaru and the others were the Precure), and there might be some kind of Right/Zed-esque connection between Hikaru and Darknest (it seemed to be her power specifically that caused him to wake up after all).

I will not be surprised if this turns out to be one of those seasons where the Precure get their identities revealed by the end though (if not sooner).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 13, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TBF they're clearly actually building up to something with Hikaru's dad, given how they've been sure to remind us of his weird situation every few episodes. So I wouldn't really worry about her family situation not getting much focus, the reason for that would probably be that they're saving it until that pin drops.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

TBF they're clearly actually building up to something with Hikaru's dad, given how they've been sure to remind us of his weird situation every few episodes. So I wouldn't really worry about her family situation not getting much focus, the reason for that would probably be that they're saving it until that pin drops.

I was under the impression that he’s only been mentioned once so far (in like episode 2 or 3 Hikaru kind of nonchalantly comments that a lot of her astrology stuff originally belonged to her dad), what were the others?

I agree he’s probably going to be important later though but I just found it weird that the Pink in a Precure show is getting so little individual focus so far (but I agree it could be because they’ve got something especially big planned for her later). We’ve still got plenty of time left of course.

Despite those minor concerns Star Twinkle is a good, surprisingly intriguing season that definitely has the potential to become one of my favorites (provided it doesn’t trip at the finish line of course).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 13, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

By Precure donut math Go Princess's Brave Donut has to be worth at least 100 million Shiens

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This episode once again proves that donuts are probably the most valuable commodity in the Precure universe (in Fresh Kaoru’s literally helped save the multiverse after all).

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Does anyone else find it interesting that there have been 3 Madokas so far in Precure, but no Sayakas, Mamis, Kyokos, or Akemis?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's almost like the magical girl genre doesn't revolve around the Madoka franchise as much as people seem to think it does.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Still would love Aoi Yuki to voice a Precure though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of want to see Megumi Hayashibara voice a Precure myself (or at least some other important character like a fairy or a villain), though I believe she did have a role in the Smile movie.

Also in retrospect it was kind of a wasted opportunity to have Hummy be voiced by Sailor Moon but not give her a human/Cure form.

Fun Fact: Counting both the 90’s series and Crystal at least one of the actors for each major Sailor Moon character has been in Precure in some capacity with the exception of Mars and Tuxedo Mask, some of them even as actual Cures.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 14, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Sayaka's VA (Eri Kitamura) is the VA for Cure Berry which blew my mind when I found out because I hadn't realized that at all when I watched each of those respective series

A blue magical girl even across different series

edit: it was always so funny to me when Hummy would tell Hibiki to stop eating so much, like you're one to talk, Usagi :colbert:

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 15, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Sayaka's VA (Eri Kitamura) is the VA for Cure Berry which blew my mind when I found out because I hadn't realized that at all when I watched each of those respective series

A blue magical girl even across different series

edit: it was always so funny to me when Hummy would tell Hibiki to stop eating so much, like you're one to talk, Usagi :colbert:

Voice actor aside, Hummy is basically Usagi in cat form (in some respects anyway). I have to imagine at least some of that was intentional.

Speaking of Madoka, has there been any further word on when the anime version of Magia Record is coming out?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Oh wait, there's a Sayaka in Pop's class in Ojamajo Doremi. Crisis averted.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

There's a Sayaka in a couple of episodes of Heartcatch, too

and I think a Kyoko in a few episodes of Futari Wa - IIRC she's one of the girls who cosplays as the Precure towards the beginning of the series.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 15, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anyway, here’s an important question: who’s the better secret chasing muggle character, Sakurako or Kana from Maho Girls?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I don’t think I can answer that until I’ve seen more star twinkle and/or rewatched maho girls, but masuko Mika from yes!5 is the best character in the entire franchise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Anyway, here’s an important question: who’s the better secret chasing muggle character, Sakurako or Kana from Maho Girls?

Sakurako needs to appear in the series more before I can really gauge it so I’ll just say Kana by default for now.

Caithness posted:

I don’t think I can answer that until I’ve seen more star twinkle and/or rewatched maho girls, but masuko Mika from yes!5 is the best character in the entire franchise.

Speaking of Masuko, there was a similar reporter character in Happiness Charge that had the same last name (and VA I think) but a different first one that still made up the same pun (mass media). She didn’t appear much but I remember her being pretty fun.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

but no seriously Kana is one of my favorite Precure supporting characters ever

I wish she could have gotten to be in on Mirai and Riko's secret and gotten to go to magic school

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Maho Girls I kind of wish Jun, Emily and Kei got a chance to become Precure as I sort of liked them better than the actual protagonists at times (Riko was fine though).

Other missed opportunities when it comes to potential Cures (even if they were just one-offs):

Akane and Sanae (Honoka’s grandmother) from Futari Wa (at the very least I wish they had done a little more with Sanae knowing the girls’ identities, like maybe have a scene where she has a private conversation with Mipple or something)

The Kiryuu sisters from Splash Star (though the series itself does consider them part of the team and they do undergo a transformation of sorts at the end complete with their own special team attack with Saki and Mai).

Miyuki from Fresh

Seika and Waon from Suite

Regina from DokiDoki (though she falls into the same category as the Kiryuus minus the transformation part. I know she is literally the physical manifestation of Marie Ange’s inner selfishness but I’m sure they could have figured something out)

Yui from Go Princess (though technically she didn’t need a fancy suit in order to be a hero).

Yes, some of these choices may be a bit too old to be Magical “Girls” but it’s not like this series hasn’t experimented with stuff like that before (Cure Flower, Cure Lumiere).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I still think Regina works better as “something else”. It’s not like she’s less influential in the plot or less powerful than everyone.

Hard disagree on the magical school trio becoming Precure. The Maho Girls Team is basically a family and those three would disrupt that dynamic and turn it into just an ensemble team.